Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess he has to get a move on with winning the Indy 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

duploelabs wrote: »
    Well not to say he's not adaptable, but his forced-oversteer cornering technique worked in conjunction with the characteristics of the Renault at the time, and better than every other car he's sat in since.

This video explains it better than I could

Watched that video before and its pretty stupid, he doesnt mention the Michelins were designed with that driving style in mind. Short version, Michelins were generating huge grip by super energising the sidewalls, ie they more aggressive steering input, put more heat into the side and then top of the tire= equals more grip. This was when tires had grooves to slow cars down to lessen the top of the tires contact patch. So getting the sidewall to work to heat up was a way around this.

The Youtuber who posted this has no technical knowledge of the above.

Alonso also does'nt use this style anymore because Michelin and grooved are no longer in the sport.

Really happy that Alonso is back, hes probably the only other driver next year that would match the raw talent of Hamilton and Verstappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Sheeps wrote: »
    McLaren were in the doldrums because of their management structure and it only started to make progress when they replaced a tripod leadership structure with a Zac Brown as the sole leader of the team.

Alonso helped develop the car that lead to the resurgence of McLaren and he was part of the journey back.

You’d wonder how differently things would have gone for Alonso if he stayed on.

Have to give Zac Brown credit. He’s doing a smashing job since moved up to CEO. Clear Sainz and Lando have a very good relationship with him.

The though of McLaren becoming competitive again is a wonderful one. Early days yet but I think we could even see another McLaren on the podium this year with Ferrari’s struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

skipper_G wrote: »
    I've heard a similar rumour, Lance will take some time out of F1 and Vettel will replace him.

Think even people who don’t like Vettel would enjoy this.

Stroll most be the most disliked driver on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Think even people who don’t like Vettel would enjoy this.

Stroll most be the most disliked driver on the grid.
    Well he's only there because of daddys money.
    Other better drivers are missing out because of him (ocon, hulk etc)
    Latifi is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Aren't they all there because of daddy's money, in some regard? They all had to be funded somehow to get started. Often they came from rich families (e.g. Senna).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The current most popular speculation around twitter from a few journalists is Seb to retire after Styria and the driver transfer chain to happen then before the following race.

Even Will Buxton has suggested the chain reaction as being quite likely to occur DURING 2020 rather than at the end of 2020 as it would simply suit all parties given the static development for 2021.

The left field "shock" part thats currently rumbling along would be the removal of Kvyat from the grid to allow for Vettel to move to RB to partner Max while Albon moves back to AlphaTauri with Gasly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Stroll gets alot of hate , might not like the money behind him but you have to earn super license I thought .
    Also personaly think he is not too bad as drivers go. I believe He is one of the best starters in F1 with most places gains last year

I know starting down the grid give more chance for passing but he was doing it more than those around him .

https://f1bythenumbers.com/2019-f1-season-king-of-overtakes-part-1/

Aren't they all there because of daddy's money, in some regard? They all had to be funded somehow to get started. Often they came from rich families (e.g. Senna).

Yes but the good ones justify their place on the grid.
    No one bought senna a team.

pjohnson wrote: »
    The current most popular speculation around twitter from a few journalists is Seb to retire after Styria and the driver transfer chain to happen then before the following race.

Even Will Buxton has suggested the chain reaction as being quite likely to occur DURING 2020 rather than at the end of 2020 as it would simply suit all parties given the static development for 2021.

The left field "shock" part thats currently rumbling along would be the removal of Kvyat from the grid to allow for Vettel to move to RB to partner Max while Albon moves back to AlphaTauri with Gasly.

That would be great! Seb back in a red bull where he belongs. Let him race with max. RB with 2 good drivers could drive the car forward, as opposed to max and a crew of nobodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The rest sort of makes sense since they're all contracted for 2021

But damn you'd have to feel for Albon and Kvyat if that was to happen, while I'd like to see the others happen it probably can't without Vettel leaving Ferrari which surely won't happen without him having another seat

But damn you'd have to feel for Albon and Kvyat if that was to happen, while I'd like to see the others happen it probably can't without Vettel leaving Ferrari which surely won't happen without him having another seat
    Albon and kyvat have both shown that they are not top drivers, having been lapped by Max on pace in the same car.
    I won't feel sorry for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The journalist that broke the Vettel leaving Ferrari news says Alonso will be confirmed this afternoon. Also hinting that there is an even bigger "silly season" shock to be announced tomorrow.

Vettel to leave Ferrari :(

ELM327 wrote: »
    Albon and kyvat have both shown that they are not top drivers, having been lapped by Max on pace in the same car.

Kvyat maybe since he had his full season in a RB, but Albon got drafted into a new car with what 3 weeks notice and outperformed Gasly who at least go a pre season to adjust to the car

He hasn't had a proper shot to try to match Max, it would be ruthless in the pursuit of someone who's probably the better driver right now in Vettel but seriously hard on Albon

Albon hasn't showed he's not a top driver. Any sensible person has to reserve judgement on albon for a while becayse he's showed great potential since joining the RB first team. He was on for 2 podiums in the Last 3 races.

In any case, has hasn't ruled himself out of being a top driver. More information needed to find out how good he is.

So let's look at it another way. Who is most likely to score the most points this year and next year in the second RB car. Albon, Gasly, Kyvat or Seb?

I think its pretty certain that it is Seb?

Yeah I think people are over-egging the "shock" part by trying to tie Red Bull into it.

I think it will just be the 2021 deals brought forward to next week instead of seasons end. Maaaaybe the "shock" might be that Vettel actually quits Ferrari tomorrow and wont race this weekend but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Joeface wrote: »
    Stroll gets alot of hate , might not like the money behind him but you have to earn super license I thought .
    Also personaly think he is not too bad as drivers go. I believe He is one of the best starters in F1 with most places gains last year

I know starting down the grid give more chance for passing but he was doing it more than those around him .

https://f1bythenumbers.com/2019-f1-season-king-of-overtakes-part-1/

You see, right there is the problem, NOT TOO BAD is not good enough.

So let's look at it another way. Who is most likely to score the most points this year and next year in the second RB car. Albon, Gasly, Kyvat or Seb?

Considering he'd be jumping into a new car and his recent form, it's debatable. I wouldn't like to call it
    Yeah I think people are over-egging the "shock" part by trying to tie Red Bull into it.

I think it will just be the 2021 deals brought forward to next week instead of seasons end. Maaaaybe the "shock" might be that Vettel actually quits Ferrari tomorrow and wont race this weekend but I doubt it.

Seb would probably still get his 2020 money which I'm assuming is a fair wack, and he'd be the first name ready for the next top seat available if he was to leave F1 fully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    And you know this because??

His father just bought the team he is racing in. That's pretty solid job security unless he makes a right balls of it this year.

I think Vettel will take time off from F1, this years Ferrari looks like a dog (might be the worst one he has driven in recent years).

Delighted Alonso is back, not just for his skills but seeing how it annoys so many people as well :p

• Advertisement

He might be. He's also the most likely to crash most often and likely to cost multiples of the others combined wage. He's dreadful value for money.

I doubt they'll be inter in him unless he's willing do it for a token fee so he keeps on the grid and can get a drive elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Albon could have won the race on Sunday, hard to see him being rotated out. If he would be trailing Max on an ongoing basis yes, but while he plays number 2 is not upset about getting upgrades a race after max, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Rumours going around Reddit that Ferrari want Vettel out ASAP due to all the negative press with the ballerina act he has been pulling and the SBinalla memes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

GarIT wrote: »
    Rumours going around Reddit that Ferrari want Vettel out ASAP due to all the negative press with the ballerina act he has been pulling and the SBinalla memes

Sainz to Ferrari this year then? Ricciardo to McLaren and Alonso back to Renault in 2020?

Sainz to Ferrari this year then? Ricciardo to McLaren and Alonso back to Renault in 2020?

I don't know how the rest of the chain works out. Lots of unfounded rumors going around, one of Hulk into Renualt for the rest of the season.

It somewhat depends on Sainz. Ricciardo is happy to go to McLaren tomorrow. Sainz might not be in a rush to hop into a worse car.

There was one source, I cant remember which, saying that Vettel had at least talked to Helmut Marko about taking the 2nd Red Bull seat. Albon has been beating the teams that can't compete at the front, and did a bit better than Gasly but hasn't been challenging the front teams when they don't have issues. Red Bull are quoted saying they want someone who can overtake and fight at the front.

It's all rumours and **** stirring at this point, we'll just have to see what happens.

Yep. Sainz is the key sticking point.

Both Ricciardo and Vettel have annoyed their current teams higher ups with comments made since their departures were announced and all 4 of those sides involved would be happy to make a break and fresh start ASAP. McLaren and Sainz arent really in a rush to make the change earlier however.

I got some actual quotes. Ferrari CEO says the F1 team "must act immediately" to rectify their performance.

Ralf Schumacher has called on Vettel to apologise to Ferrari "becasue this is not how it should be" in reference to Vettel's 5+ spins in the last 20 races.

A redditor claims that now brings Vettel up to more accidents per race since his accident in Hockenheim than Grosjean and Maldonado had when we were taking the piss out of them.

Webber says "It is clear the relationship was not healthy" between Vettel and Ferrari. And he recons his career isn't over "He has a chance to do something in 2022, who knows, maybe Red Bull for 2021."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ralf Schumacher. Blast from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If Vettel has his last race at Ferrari this weekend, I want an explosive exit. He takes Charlie L out of the race and proceeds to calls Binotto a wanker and tells him to go **** himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Or he wins by a mile then they sack him on Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement