Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

so does that mean 14 days for travellers from Brazil and S. Africa irrespective of negative pcr test before flying and 5 days after arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What if they arrive here without 2 bob to their name?

There are no direct flights to Ireland from SA or BRA, how will they know they have come enroute or from recently visiting these countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

What if they arrive here without 2 bob to their name?

This is what I see happening. "I've no money", then the Irish footing the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kerry_man15

Govt have been way too slow to implement measures. This is one of the first things they should have insisted upon. I'm sure the country wouldn't be in the mess it currently is had they done so.
    At the start of the pandemic Dr. Michael Ryan of the WHO stated that you need to get ahead of the virus, that acting slowly is the worst thing you can do...how right he was!
    Pity not many listened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

This won't work.

No way we have the resources to bring and watch 1000s of people in hotels each week.

Not a chance.

Another disaster in the making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No direct flights from Dublin to either of these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kerry_man15

Use the army for security. Put a cap on the number of arrivals. Mandatory quarantine should deter people from travelling so will help reduce the numbers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

No direct flights from Dublin to either of these countries.

It's a bit like when Greenland was on our green list to travel to, ffs.

The government can go "Look, see, we are doing something about it!".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Leo gave stark warnings on the impact to a full quarantine system. In place for at least a year with major societal and supply chain impacts. He’s done his research and isn’t sold on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Very interesting debate there on Claire Byrne Live. Has hopefully clarified for everyone exactly why zero Covid/international quarantine is a non starter on the island.

The unionists won't close the sea border (as clarified by Ian Paisley) and the nationalists won't close the land border (as clarified by Oisin McConville), therefore it can't happen.

So hopefully we can all now forget about it and get back to testing, tracing, isolating and following the rules inside the country, which is simply not happening at the moment from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Very interesting debate there on Claire Byrne Live. Has hopefully clarified for everyone exactly why zero Covid/international quarantine is a non starter on the island.

The unionists won't close the sea border (as clarified by Ian Paisley) and the nationalists won't close the land border (as clarified by Oisin McConville), therefore it can't happen.

So hopefully we can all now forget about it and get back to testing, tracing, isolating and following the rules inside the country, which is simply not happening at the moment from what I can see.

If people were not following the rules then why are the cases declining at the rate they are? The vast majority are compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great, though it would be nice if people could at least pull the masks up over their noses, which a lot don't seem to bother doing in the supermarket from what I can see.

But otherwise I agree, as long as people maintain compliance here with the rules and the rules stay in place for as long as necessary, then we don't need to concern ourselves with any further pointless restrictions on international arrivals that don't actually achieve anything in terms of suppressing the virus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

“Leo Varadkar said he had spoken to the chief medical officer, Dr Tony Holohan, and Dr Philip Nolan, of the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet), and they advised that pursuing a zero Covid strategy “probably wouldn’t work”.”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

faceman wrote: »
    Leo gave stark warnings on the impact to a full quarantine system. In place for at least a year with major societal and supply chain impacts. He’s done his research and isn’t sold on it.

The end result of this approach will be permanently closed connectivity between our airports and the world. We need to put the house on the vaccines, that's the only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Given that these new variants have emerged from countries where Covid was allowed to rage without control or restrictions, I think it’d be prudent to also quarantine travellers from the US and India and China given their new year is so close now. I would definitely add those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

dobman88 wrote: »
    Mandatory quarantine at the travellers cost

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1353814855002828800?s=19

Isn't Leo the Leaker kite-flying the opposite of the above in regards to quarantine?

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1353840921981415424?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Checking Dublin Airport Departures we currently have flights heading off to Tenerife, Doha, Reykjavik, London and Fuerteventura amongst other places.

Now hit me with a feather duster but I don't believe her one minute that the only people flying to these destinations atm are doing fo for reasons of essential travel.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/dub/departures

It looks like of you can get to the airport without being stopped you can go on your holliers no questions asked. Wtf is this going on when the country is in full lockfown?

Also In the news this week some 140 students from Algeria arrived to start their PhDs in UL along with some 1,500 people who travelled from Brazil to Ireland in the two weeks up the 18th January ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

gozunda wrote: »
    Checking Dublin Airport Departures we currently have flights heading off to Tenerife, Doha, Reykjavik, London and Fuerteventura amongst other places.

Now hit me with a feather duster but I don't believe her one minute that the only people flying to these destinations atm are doing fo for reasons of essential travel.

It looks like of you can get to the airport without being stopped you can go on your holliers no questions asked. Wtf is this going on when the country is in full lockfown?

Also In the news this week some 140 students from Algeria arrived to start their PhDs in UL along with some 1,500 people who travelled from Brazil to Ireland in the two weeks up the 18th January ...

Well I know Limerick is shagged already, as my son got it down in LIT along with all his housemates.

How do you know? (Consider yourself feather dusted!)
    wrote:

The140 are making an essential trip as it’s education and will still have to provide pcr test and quarantine

While 1500 Brazilians may be a high figure, I doubt it’s 1500 tourists. I could be wrong, maybe Bord Failte has a campaign running there highlighting Ireland as a top tourist destination during a pandemic. It’s more likely the 1500 are a mix of Irish citizens and residents. Going forward people travelling from Brazil will have to quarantine in a detention centre and provide multiple negative pcr tests. I mean other than public shaming in the newspapers and daily floggings, what more do you want? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Danno wrote: »
    Vested interests, especially those who donate handsomely to certain political parties. These types usually have ministers on speed dial and thus dictate policy. Most of our politicians are under the whip from the party and will toe-the-line.
    Then we have the journalists, who are either owned or rely heavily on advertising by vested interests, that won't call out the ministers on their policies.
    She's a tight ship and anyone rocking the boat will be quickly thrown overboard.
    This is how Ireland operates.

You'll have to elaborate on this a bit more. Which parties and which journalists are you referring to here?

How do you know? (Consider yourself feather dusted!)

The140 are making an essential trip as it’s education and will still have to provide pcr test and quarantine

While 1500 Brazilians may be a high figure, I doubt it’s 1500 tourists. I could be wrong, maybe Bord Failte has a campaign running there highlighting Ireland as a top tourist destination during a pandemic. It’s more likely the 1500 are a mix of Irish citizens and residents. Going forward people travelling from Brazil will have to quarantine in a detention centre and provide multiple negative pcr tests. I mean other than public shaming in the newspapers and daily floggings, what more do you want? :pac:

The word was 'believed' btw. Prove to me otherwise if you like ;) Flights to and from places like Tenerife & Fuerteventura. Yeah its all diplomatic travel for sure :rolleyes:

Whether our Algerian friends trips here are deemed 'essential' for education is a case in point. Can that type of education be considered essential' considering our own schools and colleges are closed down. I somehow doubt it.

What more do I want? I dunno. Maybe stopping eejits heading off to Fuerteventura and closing our border to all but essential travel for residents. Being able to relax our restrictions. Just as New Zealand have done. And yeah they're getting on fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

People still harping on about the Brazilians? Feels like we're back at the Keelings Scandal again..

Wonder if people think meat processing plants are run entirely with automation...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    People still harping on about the Brazilians? Feels like we're back at the Keelings Scandal again..
    Wonder if people think meat processing plants are run entirely with automation...

I think you might have that backwards. Nothing wrong with any Brazilians living and working here. Problem is levels of flights coming in and out and the issues with new virulent strains from the UK, S. Africa and Brazil. Anyone resident here fine. Our entire country is locked down - well except except for our border, airports, ports etc. And yeah it can be done where theres a will. See New Zealand where the country is getting on as normal despite border closures with well controlled quarantine for absolutely essential travel only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think you might have that backwards. Nothing wrong with any Brazilians living and working here. Problem is levels of flights coming in and out and the issues with new virulent strains from the UK, S. Africa and Brazil. Anyone resident here fine. Our entire country is locked down - well except except for our border, airports, ports etc. And yeah it can be done where theres a will. See New Zealand where the country is getting on as normal despite border closures with well controlled quarantine for absolutely essential travel only.

I get all that..

The issues here are.... there's no direct flights to Dublin from Brazil. So they came back via. the UK.. not sure if the Brazilian or UK border control requires negative PCR tests, if so then chances are these passengers had them.

Most likely any Brazilians coming to Ireland are either returning students or workers who've lived here for quite a number of years and/or are citizens.

We're not NZ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't believe her one minute that the only people flying to these destinations atm are doing fo for reasons of essential travel.

Many are claiming that holidays, for reasons of mental health, counts as essential travel.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I get all that..
    The issues here are.... there's no direct flights to Dublin from Brazil. So they came back via. the UK.. not sure if the Brazilian or UK border control requires negative PCR tests, if so then chances are these passengers had them.
    Most likely any Brazilians coming to Ireland are either returning students or workers who've lived here for quite a number of years and/or are citizens.We're not NZ!!!

Yes I know there's no direct flights and yet we've had some 1,500 people travelled from Brazil (via other countries) to Ireland in the last two weeks.

Point is if you're resident here then no way should be that number travelling.

And yes I know we're not New Zealand. Listened to an interview about New Zealands control of the pandemic. And yeah I reckon we can go some of the way there. If we can reduce internal restrictions here then we shouldn't give a fuk if people can't travel to Fuerteventura or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Effects wrote: »
    Many are claiming that holidays, for reasons of mental health, counts as essential travel.

Daft isn't it.

What do you think might happen to a country that heavily relies on imports and supply chains if we borrow the NZ model? Do you think all the food on our shelves is locally produced?

You might say mandatory quarantine doesn’t effect freight. Well, we know it does. How? New Zealand. Despite freight being permitted, New Zealand still has issues with imports. Luckily they aren’t reliant on food imports (other than wine!) so it’s not so big an issue. They have their own oil and mineral source and a massive agriculture and horticulture industry.

Turn that lens on Ireland and what do you think might happen?

How many New Zealander’s have work, family or other connections with neighbouring countries? I imagine it’s probably not as comparable as a country like Ireland or any other country in the EU. Afternoon New Zealand is 2500 miles from its nearest neighbour. I can’t imagine there are many people who go off on a shopping trip or hen weekend to New Zealand for a couple of days.

New Zealand’s quarantine policy also curtails FDI, an industry Ireland is heavily reliant on.

New Zealand’s quarantine policy also curtails much essential travel, despite what the media might tell you. Closing the border doesn’t mean essential trips continue as normal.

Economically, NZ is expected to be one of the worst hit countries from the crisis. This has been covered extensively in business media.

And again, without flogging the dead horse, New Zealand doesn’t have to deal with the sensitive of the NI border and the complex relationship with the U.K. Even if all 3 governments were aligned, which they’re not, we can’t ignore the sensitivities of that pandemic or not.

Finally even Tony Holohan and Philip Nolan have said a zero covid strategy for Ireland is unlikely to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

What do you think might happen to a country that heavily relies on imports and supply chains if we borrow the NZ model? Do you think all the food on our shelves is locally produced?

You might say mandatory quarantine doesn’t effect freight. Well, we know it does. How? New Zealand. Despite freight being permitted, New Zealand still has issues with imports. Luckily they aren’t reliant on food imports (other than wine!) so it’s not so big an issue. They have their own oil and mineral source and a massive agriculture and horticulture industry.

Turn that lens on Ireland and what do you think might happen?

How many New Zealander’s have work, family or other connections with neighbouring countries? I imagine it’s probably not as comparable as a country like Ireland or any other country in the EU. Afternoon New Zealand is 2500 miles from its nearest neighbour. I can’t imagine there are many people who go off on a shopping trip or hen weekend to New Zealand for a couple of days.

New Zealand’s quarantine policy also curtails FDI, an industry Ireland is heavily reliant on.

New Zealand’s quarantine policy also curtails much essential travel, despite what the media might tell you. Closing the border doesn’t mean essential trips continue as normal.

Economically, NZ is expected to be one of the worst hit countries from the crisis. This has been covered extensively in business media.

And again, without flogging the dead horse, New Zealand doesn’t have to deal with the sensitive of the NI border and the complex relationship with the U.K. Even if all 3 governments were aligned, which they’re not, we can’t ignore the sensitivities of that pandemic or not.

Finally even Tony Holohan and Philip Nolan have said a zero covid strategy for Ireland is unlikely to work.

Whatever about zero covid. Tony and NEPHT have consistently called for strict hotel quarantine for all arrivals to be introduced since the summer.

Advertisement