Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

if you havent the money to quarantine in the hotel what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Shot?

Can't imprison them. Could spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Malcomex wrote: »
    Its not as simple as you make it sound

Do you do it forever?

Australia are doing it.
    You do it for a year anyway and see whats happening then.
    Limit flights. Id suggest take flights from one large hub only such as one of the london airports.
    Make the travelling numbers so small that its manageable for hotels.
    If you cant pay, you cant travel.
    If you are a returning citizen and cant pay, state will have to cover it. Other nationalities should be turned away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

mickdw wrote: »
    Australia are doing it.
    You do it for a year anyway and see whats happening then.
    Limit flights. Id suggest take flights from one large hub only such as one of the london airports.
    Make the travelling numbers so small that its manageable for hotels.
    If you cant pay, you cant travel.
    If you are a returning citizen and cant pay, state will have to cover it. Other nationalities should be turned away.

And the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

acequion wrote: »
    Does anyone know if quarantine can still be cut short with a negative test after 5 days? I read one account where it appears so but listening to Helen McEntee on the news it's not so clear. Can anyone clarify?

Yep you can still leave self isolation with a negative test after five days. It says that on the rte Facebook page posted today of the current new restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

acequion wrote: »
    Does anyone know if quarantine can still be cut short with a negative test after 5 days? I read one account where it appears so but listening to Helen McEntee on the news it's not so clear. Can anyone clarify?

Yes it can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Then you shouldn’t be allowed to board the flight in the first place.

Make a prepaid booking / satisfactory business justification part of the condition along with negative test pre travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks faceman and dartboardio for answering my question.

Grim times. The whole thing feels enormously oppressive. I wonder will these new rules continue all year? Will there be any opposition from lobby groups?

And the border?

The UK has travel restrictions and they are bringing in more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

you could have people arriving knowing theyll get a free hotel for a while and relaxing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Danno wrote: »
    There is a notable subliminal train of thought running through some of the responses here:

* When the lockdowns are lifted its because cases numbers are very low - so international travel has nothing to do with it, ergo it's Paddy on the booze spreading it the moment he gets a chance post lifting of said restrictions.

What these types don't realise is that if we eliminate community transmission then nobody has the virus to give it to anyone else.

Introduce an infected person via international travel and you re-introduce community transmission once again and cases explode.

This is completely demonstrable via proven facts:

Before Lockdown 2; over 60% of cases were traceable to travel from Spain ALONE.

Before Lockdown 3; over 60% of cases were traceable to travel from UK.

If one infected person from Brazil brings that variant here and it becomes the dominant strain then all cases from there forth are the cause of travel to Brazil.

The phrase "community transmission" is therefore SOLELY caused by international travel. Therefore, before even attempting to clean up the mess of the virus within Ireland, you stop any risk of importing another variant. With borders closed we can really chase down and clear out any residual virus in Ireland and stay on top of it.

Anything else short of this is futile, a waste of time and downright disingenuous to the Irish people.

If the powers that be have no will in keeping the SA and the Brazilian variant out because of "meh, freedom of movement" then restore that human right to the locals and lift level 5 with immediate effect so "equality" can prevail as they are so adamant in respecting.

I’m not sure you understand what community transmission means. I get the sentiment and motivation about what you’re saying, however in practice it’s not that simple.

Also how long do borders stay closed? Until we have zero covid? Obviously not, as we then need other countries to have zero covid. No doubt the EU, US and parts of Asia will achieve herd immunity once the vaccine has been rolled out. But the WHO has already said it will take years for herd immunity to kick in

A huge issue of grave concern that the WHO is repeatedly going on about is the ignoring of poorer country’s vaccine plan or lack thereof. There are many countries that aren’t in a position to rolled out a vaccine plan in the short term. So the what? Wait 5+ years with your borders closed?

It might suggested that it would be daft to suggest that. So we just quarantine or ban those countries instead. That would mean having to ban or quarantine essential travel too. And of course what if those travellers have stops in other countries and their origin country isn’t so easily identifiable?

There’s a lot of moving parts and banning travel isn’t a short term instrument. It’s long term - years. Just wait and see, NZ and Oz won’t be able to keep their borders closed indefinitely

The UK has travel restrictions and they are bringing in more.

They're different to what the poster was arguing, less restrictive

Which means it gets in through the border

faceman wrote: »
    I’m not sure you understand what community transmission means. I get the sentiment and motivation about what you’re saying, however in practice it’s not that simple.

Also how long do borders stay closed? Until we have zero covid? Obviously not, as we then need other countries to have zero covid. No doubt the EU, US and parts of Asia will achieve herd immunity once the vaccine has been rolled out. But the WHO has already said it will take years for herd immunity to kick in

A huge issue of grave concern that the WHO is repeatedly going on about is the ignoring of poorer country’s vaccine plan or lack thereof. There are many countries that aren’t in a position to rolled out a vaccine plan in the short term. So the what? Wait 5+ years with your borders closed?

It might suggested that it would be daft to suggest that. So we just quarantine or ban those countries instead. That would mean having to ban or quarantine essential travel too. And of course what if those travellers have stops in other countries and their origin country isn’t so easily identifiable?

There’s a lot of moving parts and banning travel isn’t a short term instrument. It’s long term - years. Just wait and see, NZ and Oz won’t be able to keep their borders closed indefinitely

This is what Israel is doing

Looking after their own and locking down

They have great scientists there and the numbers in gaza are surprisingly low but you'd wonder about variants with an unvaccinated populace next door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I get all that..

The issues here are.... there's no direct flights to Dublin from Brazil. So they came back via. the UK.. not sure if the Brazilian or UK border control requires negative PCR tests, if so then chances are these passengers had them.

Most likely any Brazilians coming to Ireland are either returning students or workers who've lived here for quite a number of years and/or are citizens.

We're not NZ!!!

Not many of them come back via UK. Most come back via Frankfurt or Paris as its cheaper. 2 of my lads ( Brazilian) are over there since Jan 8th and are due back on Feb 10th. I'm not sure what is going to happen. What is the hotel going to cost for 14 days ( minimum of a grand I would think ). Both are resident in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Then you shouldn’t be allowed to board the flight in the first place.

Make a prepaid booking / satisfactory business justification part of the condition along with negative test pre travel.

Great idea. I'd go even further and request anybody travelling in or out of the country to state their purpose in writing to the goverment. People will be far less likely to spoof then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

And the border?

Border wont matter. Uk will be doing similar.

mickdw wrote: »
    Border wont matter. Uk will be doing similar.

Not what you advocated

dok_golf wrote: »
    Not many of them come back via UK. Most come back via Frankfurt or Paris as its cheaper. 2 of my lads ( Brazilian) are over there since Jan 8th and are due back on Feb 10th. I'm not sure what is going to happen. What is the hotel going to cost for 14 days ( minimum of a grand I would think ). Both are resident in Ireland

Customs intercept people based on their route of travel. The government have access to people’s flight details even if they originate in non EU countries.

When you leave Brazil you are stamped out of the country.

It’s easy to establish where someone has travelled from if you want to put the manpower into it.

Great idea. I'd go even further and request anybody travelling in or out of the country to state their purpose in writing to the goverment. People will be far less likely to spoof then.

Both Iran and North Korea called and want to hire you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I understand exactly what community transmission which is why when we FINALLY get out of lockdown I don't want to be sitting in my local restaurant where some selfish idiot has just landed here 48hrs earlier and filling the room with virus.

Ask the vast majority of people if they would prefer to remain under varying levels of restrictions to "save" a relatively open international travel option, or to seal it off - rid ourselves of the resident pool of virus and open up like AUS/NZ and others. Here's a hint 91% want borders sealed and want them sealed now (CBLive Last Night - even Leaky Leo was shocked).

Here's the deal - international travellers don't give two hoots about the residents of Ireland living under constant but alternating levels of restrictions. It's high time the residents of Ireland afforded international travellers the same attitude.

Ban them all, I've had enough of this **** being re-introduced, this is the third time. Possibly fourth time now that 9 known cases of the SA variant are already here. As mentioned earlier, international travellers were unable or unwilling to keep that out. Stuff them and their excuses and lame reasons for coming here during a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Good plan, they can send their letter into the Department for Excuses, will be a tough choice as to which one of the many Govt. Dept's would receive that letter...

....but we have a lot of underworked and fully paid civil/public workers sat at home with little or nothing to do so could administer your letter scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

you could have people arriving knowing theyll get a free hotel for a while and relaxing

First off, the quarantine is to be at the travellers expense, not ours.

And secondly, You make it sound like great craic but sitting in a hotel room for a fortnight and not being able to leave and having food dropped at the door doesn't sound like fun to me.

NIMAN wrote: »
    First off, the quarantine is to be at the travellers expense, not ours..

Passenger arrives back into Dublin, can't afford the €1500 or whatever the exact amount is, what's the next option?

Bunch of clowns in charge here but I assume they're getting systems in place for whenever a serious variant threat arises

SA and Brazil are already here.but they'll need to be able to quarantine dangerous new variants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Passenger arrives back into Dublin, can't afford the €1500 or whatever the exact amount is, what's the next option?

I'm sure there's a couple of unused hangars out back in DA. Throw down some of the mattresses from the county council collection schemes on the ground and lock the door. Three meals from KFC, Supermacs and McDonalds each day dropped inside.

Send over Zara King to interview them after seven days. Run said footage on RTE News Now on a 24hr loop. Message will get through that travelling outside the state or coming here is not worth it at all.

I'm sure there's a couple of unused hangars out back in DA. Throw down some of the mattresses from the county council collection schemes on the ground and lock the door. Three meals from KFC, Supermacs and McDonalds each day dropped inside.
    Send over Zara King to interview them after seven days. Run said footage on RTE News Now on a 24hr loop. Message will get through that travelling outside the state or coming here is not worth it at all.

Comedy Gold right there eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They have to be enforced quarantine.
    Look at NZ to see how that fares out with people being allowed to roam away from the quarantine with impunity.
    You cannot trust people to do the right thing.

There’s 10000 lorry drivers arriving here a week , not to mentio 10000s crossing back and forth tonNI and were fixated by a handful of airport travellers.
    Trust Ireland to focus on the inconsequential and ignore the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Why not just find a few railway cattle cars .....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Customs intercept people based on their route of travel. The government have access to people’s flight details even if they originate in non EU countries.

When you leave Brazil you are stamped out of the country.

It’s easy to establish where someone has travelled from if you want to put the manpower into it.

Very little manpower needed. They have access to all the information. Very easy to have a list of people landing who started travel in another country. Especially if booked on a single booking.

As you say, the customs people already have this and do it.

They also know from simple things such as bag tags that plenty of people would forget about

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    There’s 10000 lorry drivers arriving here a week , not to mentio 10000s crossing back and forth tonNI and were fixated by a handful of airport travellers.
    Trust Ireland to focus on the inconsequential and ignore the real issue.

Lorry drivers don’t spend weeks in the sun drinking and eating out.
    The work alone, eat alone for the most part.
    Drive somewhere, collect something and drive back.

They get tested regularly and the ferries should be demanding negative tests before boarding in case an outbreak on board means a ferry has to stop for a deep cleaning.

Advertisement