Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bigmike99 wrote: »
    is there a kodi add ons thread anywhere?
    What kodi builds people are using and reviews and recommended add ons

cant be talked about here unfortunately, not in great detail anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

Hi guys.

Just bought the MXQ Pro Android box yesterday and hooked it up today! I haven't a clue what these are all about as I just bought it for my dad. I plugged it in, connected to wifi and I'm away with it but can anyone tell me what effect this will have on my internet? I'm just wondering will the internet bill be sky high when I get it?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Medic475 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Just bought the MXQ Pro Android box yesterday and hooked it up today! I haven't a clue what these are all about as I just bought it for my dad. I plugged it in, connected to wifi and I'm away with it but can anyone tell me what effect this will have on my internet? I'm just wondering will the internet bill be sky high when I get it?

Thanks in advance!

do you have a download data limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hi guys.

Thanks in advance!

It all depends on what internet service you have. If you have unlimited data/usage, no. If you are on a fixed data/usage package, most probably yes.

BandMember wrote: »
    It all depends on what internet service you have. If you have unlimited data/usage, no. If you are on a fixed data/usage package, most probably yes.

It's called Pure Telecom and its Unlimited 3MB. Just found the letter now with that written on it. Sorry this is just totally beyond me. Am I safe enough do u think?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    do you have a download data limit?

It just says Unlimited 3MB on the letter whatever that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

You could log onto the website and see if they are tracking usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It just says Unlimited 3MB on the letter whatever that means?

Unlimited means your usage is unlimited and it wont affect your bill

It's called Pure Telecom and its Unlimited 3MB. Just found the letter now with that written on it. Sorry this is just totally beyond me. Am I safe enough do u think?

Check the small print to see what their "unlimited usage" policy means. A lot of those ISP's claim that they offer unlimited internet but at a certain point their "fair usage" policy will kick in. If it really is unlimited though, you can watch it 24/7 and it will have no effect on your bill.

However, at 3MB you are really going to struggle with one of these boxes as you need a minimum of 2.5MB for SD streams and a minimum of 5MB for HD. If anyone else in the house is connected to your internet at the same time, you're bunched! :(

NATLOR wrote: »
    Unlimited means your usage is unlimited and it wont affect your bill

Ok brilliant thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Hi could anyone tell me which mx box is the best and is the mx pro the best ,I'm a newbie and don't know which box to buy thanks for your help ,is there also a tutorial somewhere on how to load it up

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

Hi could anyone tell me which mx box is the best and is the mx pro the best ,I'm a newbie and don't know which box to buy thanks for your help ,is there also a tutorial somewhere on how to load it up
    I bought one of these Android Boxes about 4 months ago on Amazon.es ... about EUR 50 delivered to IRL.
    It runs Kodi fine.

https://www.amazon.es/VicTsing-Quad-Core-Reproductor-multimedia-Compatible/dp/B00T4BMBIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462995408&sr=8-1&keywords=emish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Coming from China, and only €27.96 delivered it may get stopped, it might get waived. (It was €28.64 when I bought it).
    I ordered this on the 19th of April and it arrived on the 6th May. I didn't get asked for any duty/fees.

2GB/8GB BT4.0
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121953797352

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Allyall wrote: »
    Coming from China, and only €27.96 delivered it may get stopped, it might get waived. (It was €28.64 when I bought it).
    I ordered this on the 19th of April and it arrived on the 6th May. I didn't get asked for any duty/fees.

2GB/8GB BT4.0

Out of stock :(

geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-Ara-IZ37-Windows-8-1-Android-Dual-OS-TV-Box-Intel-Z3735F-Quad-Core-2G-32G-802-11-b-g-n-BT4-0-LAN-HDMI-OTA-348870.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMWEB_20160512

$20 off with code ARA32G

Allyall wrote: »

2GB/8GB BT4.0

What kind of remote did you get along with the box? Any pic?

Is the box running fine? Going to recommned it to a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Just bought meself a dream box, iit's a "-snip-" with a 320GB hard drive included for recording etc.

I have zero, and I mean ZERO experience with these things, but anyone any opiniono on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just bought meself a dream box, iit's a "Z-Gemma" with a 320GB hard drive included for recording etc.

I have zero, and I mean ZERO experience with these things, but anyone any opiniono on these?

They're great but we can't speak about what they do on here. Feel free to pm me with any questions on them I've had 1 for a year now so know my way around them pretty well.

Just bought meself a dream box, iit's a "Z-Gemma" with a 320GB hard drive included for recording etc.

Great way to get a thread closed Alf! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    What kind of remote did you get along with the box? Any pic?

Is the box running fine? Going to recommned it to a friend.

Yeah, It's running fine. it's on 14 hours a day playing 1080p. Standard remote - http://ebay.davismicro.com.cn:9888/uploads/2016/201604/20160412/heditor/201604121719325424.jpg

I didn't install too much on it, just Plex. I was using it for something else.

Great way to get a thread closed Alf! :rolleyes:

I don't know how it would get a thread closed, mentioning equipment/hardware is not the same as mentioning certain apps, websites, or streaming sites for illegal downloading of copyrighted material.

Unless of course, your suggesting the equipment / electronic device I just bought, over the counter freely from an Irish businesses is illegal?

You're not suggesting that band member, are you? (Because you just quoted me in full too)

No need for the rolly eyes then mate.

I don't know how it would get a thread closed

If only there were a 104 page thread that contained multiple mentions and warnings about this....

Also, you've bought something completely different and irrelevant to this thread. As you said yourself, you bought something that you haven't a clue how it works. You probably should have checked it out on Google or done some research first, but, hey, why bother when you can just ask someone else to do it for you...

P.S. To the likes of Allyall, Coldfire, Lucas and all the other helpful and insightful posters here, thanks for all the useful info and knowledge! :)

If only there were a 104 page thread that contained multiple mentions and warnings about this....

I'm fairly certain mentioning the name of an electronic device isn't the same as mentioning apps/kodi builds etc that actually infringe copyrighted material.

Are you telling me that what I just agreed to buy is illegal, keeping in mind that I walked into an Irish business today and openly and freely purchased it?
    Also, you've bought something completely different and irrelevant to this thread
    Silly me, I thought it was the android/dream box thread.
    As you said yourself, you bought something that you haven't a clue how it works.
    Well no, I said I had zero experience with these, that's not the same as not having a clue.

I mean, I have no experience of driving a Ferrari for example. I still reckon I'd have no bother driving one though. I may still ask a Ferrari owner for some pointers/advice on driving one before setting off across Europe in one.
    You probably should have checked it out on Google or done some research first, but, hey, why bother when you can just ask someone else to do it for you...
    This is a discussion site, surely the same advice (or whingeing) could apply to any newbie that dared to stumble into this thread and ask for help with an "MX box" a "Pipo" or someone not knowing how to operate kodi?

Should we all tell them to Google instead of asking for pointers inside of a thread devoted to the very subject:confused:

I think you jumped the shark a bit mate.

But just in case, and until a mod clarifies, I've removed the name of the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah, I've been posting on this, and the others for a few years now.

I'm fairly certain mentioning the name of an electronic device isn't the same as mentioning apps/kodi builds etc that actually infringe copyrighted material.

Are you telling me that what I just agreed to buy is illegal, keeping in mind that I walked into an Irish business today and openly and freely purchased it?

Silly me, I thought it was the android/dream box thread.
    Well no, I said I had zero experience with these, that's not the same as not having a clue.

I mean, I have no experience of driving a Ferrari for example. I still reckon I'd have no bother driving one though. I may still ask a Ferrari owner for some pointers/advice on driving one before setting off across Europe in one.

This is a discussion site, surely the same advice (or whingeing) could apply to any newbie that dared to stumble into this thread and ask for help with an "MX box" a "Pipo" or someone not knowing how to operate kodi?

Should we all tell them to Google instead of asking for pointers instead of a thread devoted to the very subject:confused:

I think you jumped the shark a bit mate.

Just so you know it's not actually illegal to sell boxes etc but the apps that infringe copyright material are illegal.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Just so you know it's not actually illegal to sell boxes etc but the apps that infringe copyright material are illegal.

Yeah that's what I thought.

I ordered my box for purely legal and legit means though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I just received a box and am trying to configure Kodi. When I go to use the stock browser, I keep getting a message about security certificates. Its continuously popping up making it unusable.
    Any ideas how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah that's what I thought.

I ordered my box for purely legal and legit means though. :)

Also if your box allows you to watch paid material (I.e. Sky) for free or without a contract or without paying sky directly then what you are doing is illegal.

GBX wrote: »
    I just received a box and am trying to configure Kodi. When I go to use the stock browser, I keep getting a message about security certificates. Its continuously popping up making it unusable.
    Any ideas how to fix this?

Try date and time settings

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Also if your box allows you to watch paid material (I.e. Sky) for free or without a contract or without paying sky directly then what you are doing is illegal.

Doesn't that go for all the other boxes/Kodi in general though?

Besides, I won't be using mine for that.

Advertisement