Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Bought this one, should be delivered tomorrow.

Any one any opinions on it?

Did amazon ship direct or did you uae parcel motel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Did amazon ship direct or did you uae parcel motel

Got sent to neighbour who lives over the border from where I am.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I tested one of those MXQ Pro 4k and it most definitely did not have Bluetooth, though your one has "SEGURO" written on it, don't know if that's any different. Do please let me know out of curiosity as it mentions Bluetooth on yours. I tried a few different ones of that range and only the "Quickplay" had Bluetooth. Great box though other than that, very snappy compared to the S805 chip and booted up much quicker. Didn't have it long enough to check for heating problems though.

iba yes that's the new model MK808b Pro with S905, the older model is the Plus using the S805. Geekbuying seems to be the best place to buy these though, the Pro is only $29.99, they send free by registered post, it's a small light package and they normally send you a proper UK adapter which is neat compared to a EU or Chinese one with a converter.

Keep an eye on Geekbuying as they often have deals on, I bought a few of the MK808b Plus for $23.99 on special offer. The plus works great with the Finless ROM, was scoring about 2,000 more on Antutu and has always been very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

I have a Minix X-8H box and I've a bit of a dilemma/question. A lot of the newer Kodi add ons (which I won't name here) are designed to work with Version 15.0 and upwards. The box came with a "XBMC for Minix" installed on it which is Gotham 13.3. Now, this had always worked perfectly for me but has started becoming a problem due to the nature of the new releases and add on updates. I've installed a stable version of 16.1 on it, but, I think, having two versions of Kodi on the box is causing a conflict with one particular add on (the others all seem to work perfectly). I've checked with other users and they are not having the same issue that I am having with this particular add on.

So, my question is this: Should I delete the XBMC for Minix that came with the box or is it even safe to? Also, is it possible that the two versions are causing the problem in the first place? I mean, I have both TVMC and Jarvis on my laptop and there are no issues....

PM's are welcome, should they necessary. ;)

Blade wrote: »
    I tested one of those MXQ Pro 4k and it most definitely did not have Bluetooth, though your one has "SEGURO" written on it, don't know if that's any different. Do please let me know out of curiosity as it mentions Bluetooth on yours. I tried a few different ones of that range and only the "Quickplay" had Bluetooth. Great box though other than that, very snappy compared to the S805 chip and booted up much quicker. Didn't have it long enough to check for heating problems though.

iba yes that's the new model MK808b Pro with S905, the older model is the Plus using the S805. Geekbuying seems to be the best place to buy these though, the Pro is only $29.99, they send free by registered post, it's a small light package and they normally send you a proper UK adapter which is neat compared to a EU or Chinese one with a converter.

Keep an eye on Geekbuying as they often have deals on, I bought a few of the MK808b Plus for $23.99 on special offer. The plus works great with the Finless ROM, was scoring about 2,000 more on Antutu and has always been very stable.

Hey blade, thanks for answering.

I'm most definitely not a "noon" at this lark, own several boxes already (including a dual boot win/android one)

I'm not sure about what the Bluetooth function on these would be used for though, do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

BandMember wrote: »
    I have a Minix X-8H box and I've a bit of a dilemma/question. A lot of the newer Kodi add ons (which I won't name here) are designed to work with Version 15.0 and upwards. The box came with a "XBMC for Minix" installed on it which is Gotham 13.3. Now, this had always worked perfectly for me but has started becoming a problem due to the nature of the new releases and add on updates. I've installed a stable version of 16.1 on it, but, I think, having two versions of Kodi on the box is causing a conflict with one particular add on (the others all seem to work perfectly). I've checked with other users and they are not having the same issue that I am having with this particular add on.

So, my question is this: Should I delete the XBMC for Minix that came with the box or is it even safe to? Also, is it possible that the two versions are causing the problem in the first place? I mean, I have both TVMC and Jarvis on my laptop and there are no issues....

PM's are welcome, should they necessary. ;)

There should be no harm deleting either of them.I'd suggest making a backup of your Minix XBMC and save it to a external drive.Then just remove it and if you ever feel you miss it,just install it again and copy back your userdata and addon folder.That will get you back to where it was.
    I'd also suggest if you want to run two versions,run the regular Kodi you've installed already and then install SPMC.There will be no conflicts.

bazzz wrote: »
    There should be no harm deleting either of them.I'd suggest making a backup of your Minix XBMC and save it to a external drive.Then just remove it and if you ever feel you miss it,just install it again and copy back your userdata and addon folder.That will get you back to where it was.
    I'd also suggest if you want to run two versions,run the regular Kodi you've installed already and then install SPMC.There will be no conflicts.

Actually, I've had a rethink on this - can anyone tell me how to make a copy of the XBMC for Minix program so that I can uninstall it from my android box, please? Going to try this and see how I get on. Thanks in advance! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I'm not sure about what the Bluetooth function on these would be used for though, do you know?

Game controllers, headphones, speakers etc. It's just that there wasn't any difference in price between that line of MXQ's S905, so why not take the Bluetooth option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Actually, I've had a rethink on this - can anyone tell me how to make a copy of the XBMC for Minix program so that I can uninstall it from my android box, please? Going to try this and see how I get on. Thanks in advance! :)

Apk Extractor

Allyall wrote: »

Thanks for that Allyall! :D The only problem is, there's loads of them! :( Would it be ok to copy and paste it on to a memory stick and then uninstall it from the box or would that not work?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Allyall! :D The only problem is, there's loads of them! :( Would it be ok to copy and paste it on to a memory stick and then uninstall it from the box or would that not work?
    Yep, any one of them should work, or Super Backup. It says Contacts & SMS, but it also does Apps.

You can use websites E.G. Apkleecher.com to download the apk file and put onto a USB and install onto box.

EDIT.
    I just realised/think you mean copy and paste the app onto USB? No, that wouldn't work.
    You could just backup the XBMC/Kodi build using USB-SDCard wizard if that's all you want. But I think you're looking for the app.

Yep, any one of them should work, or Super Backup. It says Contacts & SMS, but it also does Apps.

You can use websites E.G. Apkleecher.com to download the apk file and put onto a USB and install onto box.

EDIT.
    I just realised/think you mean copy and paste the app onto USB? No, that wouldn't work.
    You could just backup the XBMC/Kodi build using USB-SDCard wizard if that's all you want. But I think you're looking for the app.

Yeah, it's the app itself that I would need to back up - I already have my "build" backed up on a USB using the USB-SDCard Wizard. I'm going to try using the Apkleecher.com site to get the apkextractor and try it that way. If the worst comes to the worst, it's no big deal and I can get a copy from a friends box.... :cool:

My main concern is that I won't mess up the box by uninstalling it as it is a Minix app so I'm slightly wary about messing with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

You can easily backup selective APKs from apps like ES File Explorer or Clean Master. I personally uuse ES File explorer.

As Allyall said, you can take your kodi backup using USB wizard. Quite simple.

On a side note, I have the X8-H plus and I got rid of XBMC long time back, I think sometime last year. Now just using the latest version of Kodi from playstore.

Most of the major addons work fine. If there's a new version released most of the addos gets updated by the developers. However very rarely you may find a broken addon due to the new version of kodi.

Yeah, it's the app itself that I would need to back up - I already have my "build" backed up on a USB using the USB-SDCard Wizard. I'm going to try using the Apkleecher.com site to get the apkextractor and try it that way. If the worst comes to the worst, it's no big deal and I can get a copy from a friends box.... :cool:

My main concern is that I won't mess up the box by uninstalling it as it is a Minix app so I'm slightly wary about messing with it...

No, it wouldn't/shouldn't affect the box in any way.
    You could also download Aptoide and install/uninstall as you please, or just create a google account for the box.

Just to add - with the updated Minix firmwares, I dont see XMBC getting back. It's no longer part of the firmware.

Thanks guys for all your help! :) Seeing as you both seem to confirm that uninstalling won't effect the box in any way, I'm happy to go ahead and uninstall it.

Oh, and I seem to recall reading a long time ago that the XBMC for Minix was no longer going to be used or updated on the newer boxes. I know that it is on the X-8H Plus, but I wonder if it is on the new U1 one? Maybe someone who has one could clarify this, please? (It's no biggie though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

coldfire1x wrote: »
    You can easily backup selective APKs from apps like ES File Explorer or Clean Master. I personally uuse ES File explorer.

As Allyall said, you can take your kodi backup using USB wizard. Quite simple.

On a side note, I have the X8-H plus and I got rid of XBMC long time back, I think sometime last year. Now just using the latest version of Kodi from playstore.

Most of the major addons work fine. If there's a new version released most of the addos gets updated by the developers. However very rarely you may find a broken addon due to the new version of kodi.

Any of those ways to do it is fine,should be no issues.Myself I'd just copy the Addon & Userdata folder.Then whenever you want to use it.You reinstall your Minix apk,run it once and then copy the two folders back.Then you have your setup back again.

13.3 was the final version. If you ever need it, you can download directly from Minix site:

http://minix.com.hk/downfile/xbmcminix-armeabi-v7a_13.3.3_final.apk

Ok, well, I've extracted it and uninstalled it but it's always good to know that I can get it from that link if I ever need it.

Thanks to all who helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I've found using an MXQ box an awful experience. My question is is it something I'm doing wrong or should I invest in a better box?

• Advertisement

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I've found running a certain build on an MXQ box an awful experience. My question is is it something I'm doing wrong or should I invest in a better box?

Well, the MXQ boxes seem to be the marmite of the android box world - people either love them or hate them! Some people swear by them as the the best around while others have nothing but issues with them. Seems to be a lot of clones knocking around as well.

However, the first thing I would suggest is that you get rid of that bulid from your box and avoid going near anything like that - they take up a lot of space, can be very buggy and are dependent on updates from the author. Install only the add ons that you need and delete the ones you don't use/need. The less waste you have on the box, the better it will run.

P.S. As has been mentioned on numerous occasions, there is no talk allowed of specific add ons or builds so maybe you could change your post to reflect your quote in this one? ;)

Fakman87 wrote: »
    My question is is it something I'm doing wrong or should I invest in a better box?

Box should be okay, what motherboard is it, do you know? Where did you buy it?
    Try another Rom or try OpenELEC on SDCard - DON'T try anything on NAND until you know what motherboard it is.
    Pop the 4 rubber feet off (They're sticky and easy to remove). Unscrew them.
    Look on the board for something like MXQ_S805 v1_0
    or photograph the board and upload link here.

Ummmmm........

So... This arrived to me on Saturday, and after a bit of an eventful weekend I'm only getting around to setting it up, and testing it out.

Unboxed it, unpluggged the hdmi and.power cable from my pipo x8, and plugged them into new box. (I bought this for a relative, so no point taking all the cables and power adapters from his box) and it was obviously a very, very bad idea.

Bluelight comes on front of the box, followed by a bit of smoke from the back of it, and a terrible burning smell.

I guess the pipos power supply is a hell of a lot more powerful than what this one requires.

Outcome is, box now won't power up at all (even with the power cable that was bundled with it)

I will have to take my stupidity on the chin, and order a new one from Amazon, absorbing the cost of it also. :mad:

(My conscience wouldn't let me claim warranty on it)

Ummmmm........

Bluelight comes on front of the box, followed by a bit of smoke from the back of it, and a terrible burning smell.

Say nothing about the other power and return it. They make a fortune on them.
    That's apparently happening with some of the S905's and used to happen with all the dodgy mag250's.
    It shouldn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Well, the MXQ boxes seem to be the marmite of the android box world - people either love them or hate them! Some people swear by them as the the best around while others have nothing but issues with them. Seems to be a lot of clones knocking around as well.

However, the first thing I would suggest is that you get rid of that bulid from your box and avoid going near anything like that - they take up a lot of space, can be very buggy and are dependent on updates from the author. Install only the add ons that you need and delete the ones you don't use/need. The less waste you have on the box, the better it will run.

P.S. As has been mentioned on numerous occasions, there is no talk allowed of specific add ons or builds so maybe you could change your post to reflect your quote in this one? ;)
    Box should be okay, what motherboard is it, do you know? Where did you buy it?
    Try another Rom or try OpenELEC on SDCard - DON'T try anything on NAND until you know what motherboard it is.
    Pop the 4 rubber feet off (They're sticky and easy to remove). Unscrew them.
    Look on the board for something like MXQ_S805 v1_0
    or photograph the board and upload link here.

Thanks for that lads. I bought it from a guy on adverts who sells them in bulk so I'm guessing it's probably a Chinese clone and this could be why the performance isn't reliable.

I will check the motherboard now and post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Anybody put openelec on the mxq pro box??
    If so what firmware did ya use.
    Just need this box for kodi so don't need android

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

Redriddick wrote: »
    Anybody put openelec on the mxq pro box??
    If so what firmware did ya use.
    Just need this box for kodi so don't need android

There are a plethora of MXQs out there and many have experienced problems doing what you suggest. Including myself. High risk of running into irreversible issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Still hemming and hawing over what box to get.

Wondering if anyone knows it any of the cheaper boxes run on 5ghz or are Gigabit 10/100/1000

I know the MXQ Quickplay is 10/100/1000 thanks to Blade

Also on a different note, I came across a box called Dreamlink T1 yesterday. It costs around a 100 dollars and only runs kitkat 4.4 - not sure what to make of it, anyone any opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-m5VKJ3HpA

Thanks

Acer Revo M1601 Intel N3050 1.6GHz 2GB RAM + 32GB SSD for £60 (~€76) delivered to Parcel Motel/Parcel Wizard/Package Buddy

http://www.ebuyer.com/723605-acer-revo-m1601-nettop-dt-b28ek-002
    and
    http://www.chinabuye.com/mx3-m-2-4ghz-wireless-remote-control-mini-keyboard-air-mouse-with-mic-and-ir-learning-functions-black

Less than €95 for the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Blade wrote: »
    Noticed with the S905 MXQ Pro series that only the Quickplay has bluetooth and Gigabit Ethernet. I got a few of them and they seem much faster than the MK808b plus (S/M805). Only thing is the package is big and they keep getting stopped at customs. At around $40 the extra fees come to around 15 Euro. So not going to bother with this box format any more.

I've a few of the new S905 MK808b Pro's coming and can't wait to try them out. Hopefully they'll be as fast as the Quickplay and as reliable as the good ole MK808b plus. I'll leave it on and check for overheating, hopefully it won't be too bad :/ Bang for buck these should be a great buy as they are only $30 and I'm pretty sure that's the cheapest s905 on the market from Geekbuying. Only $5 more than the plus.

Edit: Just seen that deal Allyall posted for the MXQ pro for $30. Great price but chances are you'll end up paying customs fees as well. I'm still torn between which ones to settle on, might end up going back to the MK808b plus as there wasn't really anything wrong with them and can be got for below the customs threshold.
    Hi Blade,

Has your Pro come yet and if so what opinion do you have of it please?

Thanks

Advertisement