Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

iba wrote: »
    What do you want this 'smart box' to do?

To able to watch all the Irish and UK channels and have access to sport channels if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

magicmoves wrote: »
    To able to watch all the Irish and UK channels and have access to sport channels if possible.

Seriously, can you not even read a few pages of a thread before posting?? :confused: If you had, you would have seen numerous recommendations of various different boxes and various different posters telling people that kind of thing cannot be discussed here. :(:rolleyes:

P.S. FWIW, I think you're talking about a completely different product and are posting in the wrong forum. If you had read a couple of pages of the thread, you'd have seen that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

coldfire1x wrote: »

Seriously cheap...just bought!! (even i dont need one :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are using a remote control. If not, instead of pressing menu on the remote, bring up the context menu ("C" on a PC keyboard).

Using Super Favourites:
    Highlight the addon Super Favourites and press menu on the remote -> "Enable Global Menu" -> Scroll selection down to click "OK"
    Backout and go into Super Favourites addon.
    Inside the folder scroll down one or two and press menu on remote again.
    Create a new Super folder - e.g. "Disney"
    Backout of addon and go to another addon - e.g. Exodus
    Look for disney films.
    Highlight a movie and press menu on remote -> Add to Super Favourites -> Super Favourites -> Disney
    and move selection over to right hand side of screen and select "OK"

You can repeat that and create as many folders as you wish. You can add sub sections/genres/addons and TV series/Seasons/TV Stations and individual TV show episodes to your Super Folder. (Everything :D)

Then when you have created the perfect Disney Folder
    Back into Super Favourites Settings -> Untick "Enable Global Settings" -> Select "OK".
    Backout and go into the Super Favourites addon.
    Highlight "Disney" -> Add to Kodi Favourites.

Now each folder you add will appear in the favourites menu (By selecting the Star on the bottom left of the screen).

Or you can add them to the main menu.

Jeez, whatever happened to just pressing "C" on your remote/right clicking and selecting the "Add To Favourites" option? Talk about complicating things! :P:pac:

Seriously though, thanks to the posters who provided info on how to do this - very interesting and something I might have a go at on a back up version of Kodi soon.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

I have been browsing this thread over the last few days trying to gleam information regarding these devices.
    I was ready to pull the trigger on a device I had found (which is similar to the above one) on aliexpress but the stats of the seller made me a bit hesitant.
    I think that I will get that one from ebay. I have very little experience of these and the best way to learn is from doing. From what I can see this device will allow me to watch netflix and watch local content via usb. I also have a NAS, I am guessing that can easily be added as a media server on the box, through Kodi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I'm a little confused about that link. It seems to show a webcam but the reviews talk about an MXQ Pro box. So is it some sort of MXQ box with a camera built in?

Try THIS link.

It is another form and Android TV box but with added cam and mic for SKYPE.

PowerLead HD TV Box Allwinner H3 1.4GHz(Cortex-A7) Quad Core Android 4.4 TV Box 1GB RAM 8GB ROM Wifi 2.0MP Camera Dual Mic TV Box
    Plastic (ABS + PC) with rubber painting or shinning painting. Dedicate back-pack design fit for all the TVs; Awesome 360 degree rotates, always at your disposal
    1080P output Media Player. Power Key (Long press On/Off; Short press Stand-by/Recover); External memory type: TF card, maximum support up to 32GB
    Dual Mic and advanced audio enhancement (Ambinent noise supression, echo cancellation) for conference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

MoodeRator wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about that link. It seems to show a webcam but the reviews talk about an MXQ Pro box. So is it some sort of MXQ box with a camera built in?

Try THIS link.

It is another form and Android TV box but with added cam and mic for SKYPE.

PowerLead HD TV Box Allwinner H3 1.4GHz(Cortex-A7) Quad Core Android 4.4 TV Box 1GB RAM 8GB ROM Wifi 2.0MP Camera Dual Mic TV Box
    Plastic (ABS + PC) with rubber painting or shinning painting. Dedicate back-pack design fit for all the TVs; Awesome 360 degree rotates, always at your disposal
    1080P output Media Player. Power Key (Long press On/Off; Short press Stand-by/Recover); External memory type: TF card, maximum support up to 32GB
    Dual Mic and advanced audio enhancement (Ambinent noise supression, echo cancellation) for conference
    That link is much better.

Have to say that I do like the idea - pity all the boxes don't have a built in cam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

That link is much better.

Have to say that I do like the idea - pity all the boxes don't have a built in cam.

Why you need a cam it might be easy for the hackers just my idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

ahmsalo wrote: »
    Why you need a cam it might be easy for the hackers just my idea
    You could optionally buy one of these to protect yourself...

4680309.jpg

degsie wrote: »
    You could optionally buy one of these to protect yourself...

4680309.jpg

Good that you got one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Yeah, It's running fine. it's on 14 hours a day playing 1080p. Standard remote - http://ebay.davismicro.com.cn:9888/uploads/2016/201604/20160412/heditor/201604121719325424.jpg

I didn't install too much on it, just Plex. I was using it for something else.

Hi, that link not working (now?) any other advice? I got the same box but no remote! should have realised it from the price.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

BarryM wrote: »
    Hi, that link not working (now?) any other advice? I got the same box but no remote! should have realised it from the price.

TIA

This link? - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121953797352

If you didn't get a remote, contact them.

Wireless Keyboard and mouse combo for €6 here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

NATLOR wrote: »
    Unlimited means your usage is unlimited and it wont affect your bill
    Medic475 wrote: »
    Ok brilliant thanks.

I was always of the mind, that unlimited actually meant that's there is a fair usage allowance.
    Sometimes these fair usage allowances are quite small, so you might want ot check into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

This link? - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121953797352

If you didn't get a remote, contact them.

Wireless Keyboard and mouse combo for €6 here

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but I need a remote for the TV, The Tronsmart opens up fine on the TV but I cannot interact with it, is the keyboard/mouse you suggested ok for that? I think not.

Not getting a remote was my problem, I didn't read the "in the box" peice on the offer, there was only the device, power cable and HDMI cable.

Barry

BarryM wrote: »
    Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but I need a remote for the TV, The Tronsmart opens up fine on the TV but I cannot interact with it, is the keyboard/mouse you suggested ok for that? I think not.

Not getting a remote was my problem, I didn't read the "in the box" peice on the offer, there was only the device, power cable and HDMI cable.

Barry

No, That is just a separate offer that I thought was decent and may be handy for anyone to have.

The remote should have come with it. Mine did. If you contact the seller they should send you a new one.
    Package Contents: 1 x Mini M8STV Box, 1 x Remote Control, 1 x HDMI Cable, 1 x Power Adapter, 1 x English Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Allyall has one of these and running it without any issue. Good price for the spec of the box. I dont think there should be any issue if you go ahead and pick one.

I have just ordered one of these for my nephew:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Beelink-MiniMXIII-TV-Box-H-265-Full-HD-4K-Amlogic-S905-Quad-Core-2-4G-WiFi-BT4-0-/121971026711?tfrom=121964370949&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Same specs as the previous one but with 16gb storage for $3 extra.

If it gets stuck in custom it will cost another €12-€14 or so.

Got it delivered today. Ordered it on 19th May, delivery 2nd June, within 2 weeks, thats fairly good.

Best part, it wasnt stopped by custom :D There's a Belgium post sticker, not sure if that was the reason it wasnt stopped.

Paid €32.17 all in.

It's a really tiny device, only about 1/3 the size of Minix X8-H Plus. Has all the required ports, 2 USB, Ethernet, sd card, HDMI etc.

It came only with a tiny remote, so will have to get something else.

Yet to switch it on, will see how it goes. Post about it later.

Got it delivered today. Ordered it on 19th May, delivery 2nd June, within 2 weeks, thats fairly good.

Best part, it wasnt stopped by custom :D There's a Belgium post sticker, not sure if that was the reason it wasnt stopped.

Paid €32.17 all in.

It's a really tiny device, only about 1/3 the size of Minix X8-H Plus. Has all the required ports, 2 USB, Ethernet, sd card, HDMI etc.

It came only with a tiny remote, so will have to get something else.

Yet to switch it on, will see how it goes. Post about it later.
    Also got mine in the post today. Postmarked Belgium so no customs charges.

Few pics below of the device and box contents for anyone interested in seeing them. I haven't plugged it in yet cos I can't find a US to UK adapter

GBX wrote: »
    Id take this if you want to PM me and I will discuss

sorry not for sale....I can see that my: post was confusing so i have edited it. Defo not selling in fact i'll probably be ordering a few more...with eu plugs!

neacy69 wrote: »
    sorry not for sale....I can see that my: post was confusing so i have edited it. Defo not selling in fact i'll probably be ordering a few more...with eu plugs!

Can you check the Antutu score? Also play around with a bit to see how it works. I will do the same.

Need to order another couple of them.

Is there not a adapter in your pics? The white adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cola34

Hi guys wondering if you could help my m8s box doesnt connect to google sevices says try again later also i dont have the google play store icon any ideas? Thanks

• Advertisement

Can you check the Antutu score? Also play around with a bit to see how it works. I will do the same.

Need to order another couple of them.

Is there not a adapter in your pics? The white adapter?

Eigh it's an eu to UK adapter but power supply in the box is a US one...

Once I get it booted I'll try the tests

Eigh it's an eu to UK adapter but power supply in the box is a US one...

Once I get it booted I'll try the tests

Is it this one?

It will take EU or US.

Cola34 wrote: »
    Hi guys wondering if you could help my m8s box doesnt connect to google sevices says try again later also i dont have the google play store icon any ideas? Thanks

You can install google services manually just download this apk and install it
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-8-7-03-release/google-play-services-8-7-03-2645110-836-android-apk-download/

Is it this one?

It will take EU or US.

I got the same adapter, as you said it will fit both US and EU.

AntuTu Score for Beelink Mini MX III

3D: 2971
    UX: 13248
    CPU: 12726
    RAM: 4533

Compare this with Minix X8-H Plus:

3D: 4398
    UX: 10095
    CPU: 14457
    RAM: 4455

RAM (just about), CPU & 3D is better in Minix (S812) while UX is a lot better in Beelink (S905). Total score not much different.

Surprisingly Beelink beat Minix on the overall score. Does Android version make any difference.?? Minix 4.4 while Beelink 5.1

For the price of Beelink, I would highly recommend it.

On the speedtest (wired), Minix hit about 165mbps while Beelink hit 210mbps. :eek: LAN gigabit performance definitely better on Beelink.

Played few streaming movies and from USB, everything running smoothly.

3D score is lower which I guess will affect gaming performance and playing 3D movies, neither of them I use on the box.

I will stick with Minix since I already have it and all setup but if but someone looking for a new box should definitely consider Beelink. Price / performance ratio is great. Probably for my next box I will wait for S912 boxes :P

Yet to see how warm it will become after few hours of continuous use, there were reports of S905 getting a bit warm.

Going to order another couple of them soon over the weekend after few more test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

AntuTu Score for Beelink Mini MX III

3D: 2971
    UX: 13248
    CPU: 12726
    RAM: 4533

Compare this with Minix X8-H Plus:

3D: 4398
    UX: 10095
    CPU: 14457
    RAM: 4455

RAM (just about), CPU & 3D is better in Minix (S812) while UX is a lot better in Beelink (S905). Total score not much different.

Surprisingly Beelink beat Minix on the overall score. Does Android version make any difference.?? Minix 4.4 while Beelink 5.1

For the price of Beelink, I would highly recommend it.

On the speedtest (wired), Minix hit about 165mbps while Beelink hit 210mbps. :eek: LAN gigabit performance definitely better on Beelink.

Played few streaming movies and from USB, everything running smoothly.

3D score is lower which I guess will affect gaming performance and playing 3D movies, neither of them I use on the box.

I will stick with Minix since I already have it and all setup but if but someone looking for a new box should definitely consider Beelink. Price / performance ratio is great. Probably for my next box I will wait for S912 boxes :P

Yet to see how warm it will become after few hours of continuous use, there were reports of S905 getting a bit warm.

Going to order another couple of them soon over the weekend after few more test :)
    Have you tried it using wireless?

Have you tried it using wireless?

Didnt try on wireless. I will try tonight or tomorrow.

I got the same adapter, as you said it will fit both US and EU.

Thats the adapter but it doesn't seem to accept the US pins (the adapter sockets seem to wide for the pins). Did it work for you?

Thats the adapter but it doesn't seem to accept the US pins (the adapter sockets seem to wide for the pins). Did it work for you?

Yes it was fine for me.

• Advertisement

ok so i seem like some kind of dope here and I've misplaced the user guide

i've plugged in the power cable and the hdmi cable and used the remote control to turn it on with red power button but nothing is happening...i cant see a physical power button. Have i missed something or have I a dodgy unit....??

Advertisement