Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone hit a cheap android box for sale please

You asked yesterday and were given advice. Why ask again? Especially so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Yes I did ask yesterday but as I said yesterday all the sites are hard to trust and the Irish sites are charging more then I can afford ,have I broken a rule by asking here so soon or have I insulted you ..if I have I will delete it ,I don't know anything about these things and a total newbie ,I have taken advice from boards members here .and I posted on this forum because I think that's what you do if you need advice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

differences at most might be
    wifi speeds, build quality, remotes
    maybe support and firmwares.
    possibility of customs vat
    wrong plugs.
    ??

what is the customs charges like if its stopped, i know they used to charge a admin fee at one point as well as vat?

Yes, they are the main differences.
    Regarding support, this and many other forums are good for support, plenty of people willing to help with any questions.
    A decent extra remote is ~ €12 (if that was a bugbear or problem).
    Most will allow you to choose UK plugs, but if you get an EU plug, an adaptor can be purchased for feck all in Dealz.
    Official and Custom Firmwares can be found for all of the more popular boxes easily enough, and some of the less popular too.

If the box is valued at over €23 and imported from outside the EU then you could get asked for VAT + Admin fees (€7 an Post).
    VAT is 23% of the total price including shipping.
    If you purchase from Amazon, then VAT is paid at checkout. If you purchase from Aliexpress, then you may get asked for VAT when it arrives.

It's up to you to decide whether or not one box is worth paying more than another.

For Example :
    This Box for €53 + Vat + Admin fees (if it gets stopped) ~ €19 = ~ €72 Delivered
    or
    This Box - €145 Delivered

Both have the same spec, but the latter is almost double the price assuming Vat is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 boardasadroid

ty again allyall :)

im leaning towards a neo u1 with a2 air for €134 from amazon, maybe cause its my first box and its for the main room too. ill search around some more with that new info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes I did ask yesterday but as I said yesterday all the sites are hard to trust and the Irish sites are charging more then I can afford ,have I broken a rule by asking here so soon or have I insulted you ..if I have I will delete it ,I don't know anything about these things and a total newbie ,I have taken advice from boards members here .and I posted on this forum because I think that's what you do if you need advice

No what I mean is if nobody had one on Saturday to sell they hardly have one on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

In fairness, the guys answered your question and told you the information you were looking for - they are not going to search the web for a box for you, and why should they? They gave you the information you asked for, up to you to source the box for yourself. That's what everyone else does.

ty again allyall :)

im leaning towards a neo u1 with a2 air for €134 from amazon, maybe cause its my first box and its for the main room too. ill search around some more with that new info :)

You won't regret going with the Minix! Best and most user friendly box on the market, IMHO anyway. Frequently rated alongside the Shield by multiple tech reviewers as well, so we can't all be wrong! :D

Mr Snow wrote: »
    which one has the best memory?
    does all have them have sky sports 1 to 5 espn and bt?
    can you recommend one for the laptop it is a dell?
    are the ones in currys any good?
    how much a month?

I don't mean to be rude, but you seriously need to do some research before posting on this thread as it is clear that you don't know what you looking for. Also, if you read the thread, you will quickly see that your second question cannot be discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 boardasadroid

yup i went with the neo u1 + a2 for 135

took the murphys law approach thinking a 50 box on geekbuyer plus 20 customs plus 15 remote plus 40 powerline adapters, ...id hit 125 price knowing my luck.

given the last media box i got was a popcornhour a100 if it lasts as long as that it will be a bargain lol

ty for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

• Advertisement

Fakman87 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a good choice alright - as I mentioned previously, rated as the best box on the market by various tech reviews and very user friendly as well. You can't go wrong with a Minix TBH! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr Ed2011

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Yes excellent choice, I can say that this box is the best I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Take a look on Amazon warehouse deals, a lot of big reductions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for creating playlists on kodi. I am looking for an easy way to get to shows or movies etc without having ot go into each app and either scrolling through or searching. eg I want to create a playlist with Mickey mouse cartoons for the kids so that when I switch it on I can go straight to the playlist and hit play rather than all the messing about (and then inevitably the shouting wanting it on quicker!). I've seen the superfavorites app and also the smart playlist app but I couldnt really make sense of either to be honest. It was looking for urls and other info, I'd rather be able to click on a pre existing link and add it to a playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

bruschi wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for creating playlists on kodi. I am looking for an easy way to get to shows or movies etc without having ot go into each app and either scrolling through or searching. eg I want to create a playlist with Mickey mouse cartoons for the kids so that when I switch it on I can go straight to the playlist and hit play rather than all the messing about (and then inevitably the shouting wanting it on quicker!). I've seen the superfavorites app and also the smart playlist app but I couldnt really make sense of either to be honest. It was looking for urls and other info, I'd rather be able to click on a pre existing link and add it to a playlist.

Can't you add them your favourites by pressing the search button on the remote?

bruschi wrote: »

I'm assuming you are using a remote control. If not, instead of pressing menu on the remote, bring up the context menu ("C" on a PC keyboard).

Using Super Favourites:
    Highlight the addon Super Favourites and press menu on the remote -> "Enable Global Menu" -> Scroll selection down to click "OK"
    Backout and go into Super Favourites addon.
    Inside the folder scroll down one or two and press menu on remote again.
    Create a new Super folder - e.g. "Disney"
    Backout of addon and go to another addon - e.g. Exodus
    Look for disney films.
    Highlight a movie and press menu on remote -> Add to Super Favourites -> Super Favourites -> Disney
    and move selection over to right hand side of screen and select "OK"

You can repeat that and create as many folders as you wish. You can add sub sections/genres/addons and TV series/Seasons/TV Stations and individual TV show episodes to your Super Folder. (Everything :D)

Then when you have created the perfect Disney Folder
    Back into Super Favourites Settings -> Untick "Enable Global Settings" -> Select "OK".
    Backout and go into the Super Favourites addon.
    Highlight "Disney" -> Add to Kodi Favourites.

Now each folder you add will appear in the favourites menu (By selecting the Star on the bottom left of the screen).

Or you can add them to the main menu.

Thanks, will try those and see if it works!

Got that working and I just created a sub menu for each folder then off the main favorites menu so quick and easy access to them all. Makes it handy!

You can then go to Settings -> Appearance -> Settings ->

Rename "Home Menu" items and give them a submenu set.

For example
    Rename Menu Item-1 to "Kids TV" and give it a Submenu Set called "Kids"

Then go to Submenu Choices and Create a Submenu Set called "Kids" - Give it Submenu items (Either favourites or Addons).

So you could give it the super folders you have created and favourited above E.G.:

Disney - Cartoons - Movies - ADDON

Add-on Shortcuts works in the same way, except instead of being submenu titles, they are icons above the Menu Item.

Allyall wrote: »
    You can then go to Settings -> Appearance -> Settings ->

Rename "Home Menu" items and give them a submenu set.

For example
    Rename Menu Item-1 to "Kids TV" and give it a Submenu Set called "Kids"

Then go to Submenu Choices and Create a Submenu Set called "Kids" - Give it Submenu items (Either favourites or Addons).

So you could give it the super folders you have created and favourited above E.G.:

Disney - Cartoons - Movies - ADDON

Add-on Shortcuts works in the same way, except instead of being submenu titles, they are icons above the Menu Item.

yeah thats essentially what I did. I have a favourites tab in the main menu bar and I have a sub menu of each of the folders of shows and films underneath then directing it straight to each of the superfavorites folders. A far quicker method of getting the shows on than having to go into the film/tv app and do a search or scrolling. Just spent ages setting them up so that work is done.

thanks again, the main issue was the super favourites enabling. Within that menu then were a few other options that I needed to tick to make things work quicker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Does anyone have any experience with the HD23 ? I am looking for a cheap way of proving Skype for a friend, so that they can use on a "dumb" TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

I am looking to buy a smart box for my T.V. and I am wondering what is the best box to buy? I am new to this so not sure what box I should be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Hi can anyone help me I got one of these boxes but the plug is different I don't know how to plug it in

• Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

coldfire1x wrote: »
    US plug only available so an adapter is needed.

Im a novice myself when it comes to these things so is the box any good at all?

Is the plug that goes into electric socket is different?

You will probably get the adapters (which converts them to EU) for the plug in Euro / Dealz shops. I have seen these in Tesco as well. Wont cost much.

muffler wrote: »
    US plug only available so an adapter is needed.

Im a novice myself when it comes to these things so is the box any good at all?

Allyall has one of these and running it without any issue. Good price for the spec of the box. I dont think there should be any issue if you go ahead and pick one.

I have just ordered one of these for my nephew:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Beelink-MiniMXIII-TV-Box-H-265-Full-HD-4K-Amlogic-S905-Quad-Core-2-4G-WiFi-BT4-0-/121971026711?tfrom=121964370949&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Same specs as the previous one but with 16gb storage for $3 extra.

If it gets stuck in custom it will cost another €12-€14 or so.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with the HD23 ? I am looking for a cheap way of proving Skype for a friend, so that they can use on a "dumb" TV.
    I'm a little confused about that link. It seems to show a webcam but the reviews talk about an MXQ Pro box. So is it some sort of MXQ box with a camera built in?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    That's a really cheap price; can't even see it on Aliexpress cheaper

• Advertisement

magicmoves wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a smart box for my T.V. and I am wondering what is the best box to buy? I am new to this so not sure what box I should be looking for.
    What do you want this 'smart box' to do?

Advertisement