Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options
1201202203204205207»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah just noticed the X96 Max Plus Ultra from over a year ago also has the S905X4. Less than half the price also. Not very impressed by that.

Could I trouble you for link for the firestick that would be usable here? Then I can track the price on it.

Im always a bit put off Amazon's stuff due to region locking content / features.

Decided I want something cabled with as much power as possible.

MECOOL do seem to be selling old tech. Disappointing.

Im looking at H96 MAX V58: https://www.h96tvbox.com/rockchip/

The spec on this box is the best android Ive seen unless someone else has seen better?

The ANTUTU bench score for this box is more than twice the Shield Pro.

Cant find many reviews or anywhere selling within EU...

Will I get hammered on customs if I order from aliexpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dermo2014

Have a look here http://loveshopping.ie/

They might have something that suits you.

I bought a Q Plus box from them a couple of years ago.

Based in Drogheda I think.

I see they have a nice H96 max box on there but Im reading reviews saying specs are great on H96 boxes but the firmware is very poor.

Spent last few hours looking through review vids. Xiaomi's latest Box S 2nd Gen looks the business on firmware: has built in Chromecast, 4k support for all the main apps and dolby vision + atmos. But then the hardware lets it down. No ethernet port and only 2gb ram 8gb storage. It just seems theres always something missing.

Would get Nvidia Shield Pro but they seem to be a bit dated now. Could there be a new one out soon?

My heads fried. Gona leave it until the new year. Maybe Xiaomi will produce a box with more memory and ethernet. That would tick all the boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't think Nvidia care too much about it .Too busy with car gps and Switch chips.

Not sure we will see a new version anytime soon.

I've the Pro and its still working perfectly for me ,use it for 90% of TV/streaming.

Is there much upgrading needed on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

You shouldn't get hit for VAT because the price shown states it is inclusive of VAT paid. However because it's over €150 customs duty will be owing and then the admin charge (likely from An Post) comes into play.

The good news is this (4GB + 32GB) is available *with an EU not a UK/IRE plug* from another Aliexpress supplier for €142.09 (inclusive of VAT):

At 8 AM Thursday it's available as a black friday for €133.21 with the 8GB + 64GB version for a cheeky €149.49.

• Three of each version left currently in stock according to the cart*

(7 reviews, all 5 star - quick delivery by the looks of things)

Just found this. Very useful sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ELaOxxbgjRNOjpWQbgnHfQa9G6vyW2Q_luLLZhTfc4U/edit#gid=0

Turns out the H96 firmware doesnt have chromecast. Need it for Quest 2 VR. Im not using airscreen. Dont like it.

There is an upgraded Xiaomi box out in India. Expected here early next year. My X96 Max+ will do me until then.

Just a note for anyone looking at the MECOOL KM2 PLUS DELUXE

USB 2.0 only. Why theyve done this Ive no idea. Maybe to provide wifi 6 / 1000mb LAN. Crazy on a 126 euro box.

Looks like I'll definitely be waiting on a better box some time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TonySpokes

If anyone could recommend me a box that'd be class.

Looking for: 1080p Netflix streaming, Chromecast functionality, sideload apps, play video from external drive, USB or SD port for external drive, able to play HEVC, hopefully cheap price. Don't need 4K or HDR.

I was going to buy a Chromecast-with-google-TV (HD) but then read about the external storage limits of 4GB per file.

Can someone recommend something similar but without those limits? Ideally around 50 euro, but if that's not realistic I'll take any recommendation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bought one of these boxes some years back, before the pandemic. Found it a bit clunky. I'm pretty out of the loop with them now.

Have a Fire stick, but don't make much use of it - came in handy on holiday in Europe recently. Mostly watch Apple, Disney and YouTube through the TV apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

"bought one of these boxes....." - eh, you do realise that there are probably a thousand different types of "these boxes" don't you? Some are excellent, some are good, some are poor, some are crap. They're all different though.

Went for UGOOS TOX3 with bluetooth gyro remote in the end. Its a flying machine. Really happy with it.

Firmware is the best Ive seen also. Options I havent seen on any other box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

Does anybody know of a good channel 4 APK that will work on android TV?

I've tried a few and they all seem to be optimised for a phone, it's just a box in the middle, using maybe a third of the screen.

3 weeks with the Ugoos TOX3 box. Have everything tweaked to my liking now. Amazing box for the money. Anyone looking to spend under 100 euro on a box I highly recommend it. Very quick chipset and so much effort put into the firmware. Lovely smooth picture. Disabled all hardware video/audio acceleration options as not needed. LED display on front of box is customisable. I have mine rotating between time and CPU temp but loads of options.

The Ugoos UR-01 Bluetooth remote is a nice addon with air mouse and voice command. Very responsive.

Got mine on AliExpress for 70 euro including this remote addon. A great budget box with real power and superb firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hello,

Can someone recommend an Android TV stick or box under 50 euro and easy to get (store or Amazon)?

I have a subscription to an app that allows streaming of some TV channels (let's say it's similar to NOW app), and I need this in the kitchen where we have an older HD TV. The app is not supported on Fire TV stick, but there's an Android app in Google store.

Thanks!

I'd probably go for Chromecast HD with Android TV for 40 euro.

Harvey Norman have them in stock.

Just to check have you tested your app on an android device already?

Edit: can someone comment on the availability of the play store on this Chromecast? Im reading theres no play store icon on the home page but it can be accessed easily by pressing the Google Assistant button and saying "Play Store".

Post edited by jj880 on

The app works fine on Android phone and iPad, and can cast to TV using a very old Chromecast device.

However, I would prefer an easier way, something that won't require the phone or tablet. A remote, and as few clicks as possible to get from "TV is off" to "I'm watching the news channel". With my current solution, I need to unlock the mobile device, start the app, begin casting, press play.

On the newer Chromecast HD you can access the play store as it runs on Android TV as its OS. So you can get your app installed on the Chromecast. After that just start your streaming app from the Chromecast home screen. So no other devices needed or casting required. That's how I see it working as I have other devices running Android TV. The older Chromecasts are casting only devices.

• Advertisement

Bought it in Currys today, set it up, and it's perfect! Thanks again, @jj880!

Advertisement