Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Some old school tng feel at the start with the log and ship in warp. Then some story some daft. Had a lol at the most important person ever :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Two-handed fist fighting. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

Stark wrote: »
    There were Bajorans in Starfleet even without Bajor joining Federation. Ensign Ro and Ensign Sito (from the TNG Lower decks episode) for instance.

Very true. The main reason I wonder if he's ex-Bajoran Militia are his scars. Would suggest someone who was also a member of the Bajoran Resistance and had been injured fighting the Cardassians. Those people had a knack of becoming Militia after Bajor regained independence and would probably only become Starfleet officers if Bajor joined the Federation.

Of course he could have also joined Starfleet on his own initiative, and his scars might not have anything to do with the Cardassians. Mostly just curious if Bajor actually joined the Federation in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Two-handed fist fighting. :pac::pac::pac:

Bit of a missed opportunity to splice in stunt doubles mid scene there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I liked the third episode. Two fisted fighting was enough to get me laughing.

I’m so used to watching Futurama (which is my favourite ever animated show) where the references to Star Trek are plentiful and funny when they arrive. I forget I’m watching an actual Star Trek branded show when I’m watching this and it’s confusing me. Ha.

Mariner is a pain. She will be the Michael Burnham of this show for me where I never really want to watch an episode twice because the main character annoys me.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Mariner is a pain. She will be the Michael Burnham of this show for me where I never really want to watch an episode twice because the main character annoys me.

I'm starting to feel this way too. She's not as bad a Burnham, possibly because I'm treating this is a parody of Trek.

The rest of the crew are kind not that bad though. I kind of liked Capt. Mariner in this one, her exhasperated captaincy of a ship of losers is a fun reflection of the usual "best of the best" Starfleet we often get in any given Trek show :D

She also had one of my favourite references of the episode.
    "No-one wants to go to Cardassia Prime!"
    Which makes perfect sense since it was only a handful of years since the place was levelled by the Dominion. I imagine it would still be a depressing place to visit by the time of this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I liked this third episode. Much better than the second episode. I thought the security guy and the Cammander were idiots but they stopped been before the end of it. As for Marineer. Well at least she is well known now anyway so what they have done with her as worked but yes she can be annoying but was not too bad in this episode. She did seem like she had stepped up a few places on the ship do, what working alongside the Cammander and all. The Captain went a bit crazy there lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it. Particularly that last scene! Loved the references to TOS also.

I think the time of 22-24 minutes works well, does what its meant to, anymore would be a bit much, any less would be too rushed.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Not a great episode for me. It's essentially an entire episode based off Scotty's advice to Geordi from "Relics". The 'most important person in Starfleet' was the only bit that gave me a genuine laugh.

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Not a great episode for me. It's essentially an entire episode based off Scotty's advice to Geordi from "Relics". The 'most important person in Starfleet' was the only bit that gave me a genuine laugh.

Well, he is the original Lower Deck member!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know it's a tacky idea but I would love to see Harry Kim show up in an episode with the joke of the episode being how he's still an ensign.

Stark wrote: »
    I know it's a tacky idea but I would love to see Harry Kim show up in an episode with the joke of the episode being how he's still an ensign.

Kim: Now remember, work your ass off for a decade and brave the deepest darkest of space and you too could be where I am today.

Crewman: A Lieutenant, Junior Grade?

Kim: Damn right! And don't you forget it. (Impulsively begins to polish his "empty" rank pip)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Caught up on these yesterday. Frantic, unfunny, and lazy are the word that come to mind.

It's possible to infuse a Star Trek type universe with humour....The Orville absolutely nailed the concept...but Lower Decks misses the point. The humour works in The Orville because it juxtaposes nicely with the more caring tone of the show. In Lower Decks, it's just wall to wall "spring break" bollox.

Another Kurtzman mess to add to the sadly growing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I probably enjoyed the third episode the least of them all so far (final scene gave me a chuckle but that was it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't know what's going on.
    I don't know if I hate this, love this, or just a great big meh.

On the one hand, it's great to see a more light hearted and silly version of Star Trek, on the other hand, it's awful to see this quirky madness in Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure if it was a reference to Henry Cavill in Mission Impossible or not but the way Ransom pumped his arms before fighting reminded me of him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Am I just being overly cynical, or is there a trend of promoting racism in this?

In episode 2, Mariner exploits, encourages and rewards Boimlers racism towards Ferengi.

In episode 3, Shax eagerly spouts anti-tree lover racist slogans to the crystal guys, despite knowing they're also courting the tree guys to join the Federation.

Maybe it really does have Rick and Morty level cynicism deep down....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Spear wrote: »
    Am I just being overly cynical, or is there a trend of promoting racism in this?

In episode 2, Mariner exploits, encourages and rewards Boimlers racism towards Ferengi.

In episode 3, Shax eagerly spouts anti-tree lover racist slogans to the crystal guys, despite knowing they're also courting the tree guys to join the Federation.

Maybe it really does have Rick and Morty level cynicism deep down....

Yeah, I picked up on both of those too; particularly the Ferengi. They revealed (although I'm not sure it was ever in doubt?) that Boimler was wrong and the "typical Ferengi" thing was an act, but he and the rest of the crew didn't know that and still had a big ol' chuckle at the entire race of people. Pretty sloppy. Nobody learned anything and, worse, Mariner chose to exploit Boimler's racism rather than teach him.

Wish I was enjoying this show more. I see loads of potential but it's mostly with the background characters and side-gags. If they evened out the screentime a bit and stopped focusing so much on Mariner and Boimler I think it could be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Sounds like they still warn Starfleet officers about Ferengi at Starfleet Academy.

Evade wrote: »
    Sounds like they still warn Starfleet officers about Ferengi at Starfleet Academy.

armin-shimmerman-quark-destination-star-trek.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I know I'm probably overthinking this. But it always struck me as a fascinating thought: you SHOULD be racist when it comes to the Ferengi.

The writers created an entire people that you'd be a fool to trust, unscrupulous, duplicitous toerags to a man. I love the idea: it doesn't sit right with our modern ideology, as a liberal society, but aren't there some groups, demographics, or populations we distrust by experience?

It seems like there are basic cross cultural classes to prevent faux pas in Starfleet Academy. In Coming of Age one of Wesley's exams was noticing a human looking Starfleet officer actually had webbed fingers and that in his culture it is rude to apologise and the way to de escalte a confrontation was to not back down.

And it makes sense to know that if you pick a fight with a Klingon he is within his rights, as far as he is concerned, to kill you or in the Ferengi's case, before Zek's reformations that probably won't be brought up, their almost holy book of rules states that they will swindle you if they can. Rule of Acqusition 17: A contract is a contract is a contract... but only between Ferengi. Does it apply universally? No. In most cases? Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

like it being illogical to tell a vulcan a joke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

S01E04 now out in the usual places...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Fair point but that was, what, 15 years ago? Attitudes seem to have regressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Goodshape wrote: »

I think you'll find it's 360 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

JayRoc wrote: »
    I know I'm probably overthinking this. But it always struck me as a fascinating thought: you SHOULD be racist when it comes to the Ferengi.

The writers created an entire people that you'd be a fool to trust, unscrupulous, duplicitous toerags to a man. I love the idea: it doesn't sit right with our modern ideology, as a liberal society, but aren't there some groups, demographics, or populations we distrust by experience?

It has been said that the ferengi were based on the Jews...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Goodshape wrote: »
    About 9 years in universe or 25 out of it. I haven't seen the episode yet.

It has been said that the ferengi were based on the Jews...
    Citation needed. If you (rhetorical you) look at Ferengi and think"t "they're clearly Jews" I don't think it's the creators of the Ferengi that are the racists. Just like Alien, Predator, and Orcs aren't black people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

I proper laughed at O'Connor in the end

Advertisement