Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

Why would he ?
    because you said it ?
    You do know most people do not continue to watch things they dont like.
    For me I never watched the animated series, saw one episode of lower decks and it was more than enough.

you declaring things as if they were fact does not make it fact.
    Just because some people dont like something you like, should not mean you should get so defensive.

This made me LOL. You are stating your own opinions now as fact

Personally I disliked Discovery and Picard - overall.

There were some good characters, good episodes, good ideas etc but in general I disliked more than I liked.
    I still watched it because I like Star Trek.

I didn't like the way Man Utd performed all year overall but I still watched their games. (Disclaimer - not a Man U fan - for analogous purposes only)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dont watch if you havent seen episode Two.

I thought it was very funny

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: That was alright. I liked the line of the job-path that the engineer took. The
    Ferengi
    part was a bit easy to figure out before the reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Watched the first two just now. Really enjoyed it. Clear Rick and Morty or Final Space vibes from it but in a good way.
    I've no idea why so many here seem to be bitching about it. Its a 20 minute bit of fun.

What I like about it and the potential it has is the premise of the lower decks having such a different slant on the classic tropes of your typical trek episodes.

How often did we see the bridge crew impart info to the rest of the ship when something weird was going on like a hostile alien on the loose or some creature suckling on the ship? That part of the opening credit is hilarious. Imagine looking out your quarters and seeing that as a newb ensign. WTF???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

pah wrote: »
    This made me LOL. You are stating your own opinions now as fact

Personally I disliked Discovery and Picard - overall.

There were some good characters, good episodes, good ideas etc but in general I disliked more than I liked.
    I still watched it because I like Star Trek.

I didn't like the way Man Utd performed all year overall but I still watched their games. (Disclaimer - not a Man U fan - for analogous purposes only)

enlighten me, why would someone watch something they do not like just because some person on the internet said they would ?

I know if i do not like something I cease watching it,which is what I did.
    why someone feels do defensive to claim others will keep watching is bizarre and very defensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Reason to watch something you don't like:
    • To make fun of it.
    • Masochism, watching them beat the now dead horse of one of your favourite franchises.
    • Self Delusion, hoping it will get better.
    • Crippling self doubt, everyone else says it's good so it must be.

Evade wrote: »
    Reason to watch something you don't like:
    • To make fun of it.
    • Masochism, watching them beat the now dead horse of one of your favourite franchises.
    • Self Delusion, hoping it will get better.
    • Crippling self doubt, everyone else says it's good so it must be.

Ahhh, sounds like the crew of a Miranda class starship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

enlighten me, why would someone watch something they do not like just because some person on the internet said they would ?

I know if i do not like something I cease watching it,which is what I did.
    why someone feels do defensive to claim others will keep watching is bizarre and very defensive

You might not get it yourself, and that's fair enough.

But you said that no one would watch a show that they had previously not liked; we have examples (above) that as mad as it sounds it isn't always the case.

I've done it myself; hoping something gets better, maybe even getting a perverse enjoyment of seeing how low something can get..who knows.

I guess the point is, just because a particular person thinks a certain way, it doesn't mean other people do.

I'd say you're probably as well to leave it at that, tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

JayRoc wrote: »

I guess the point is, just because a particular person thinks a certain way, it doesn't mean other people do.

spot on....and that was the point I was making when someone was telling others what they would and would not watch.

• Advertisement

spot on....and that was the point I was making when someone was telling others what they would and would not watch.

I think it was more of a prediction than an order. The fact you think anyone could "tell" anyone else what to do on the internet is baffling tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Lower Decks now. I didn't expect to like it, in fact I was a little afraid I'd end up hating it. But...it was ok, I actually enjoyed bits of it. The Command Training was pretty funny as shown earlier. (I need to lookup "The Janeway Protocol")

Everything is a bit manic, but not to the degree that I originally feared. It's a silly show...but it's ok. About as silly as Final Space, which I did enjoy.

What I find remarkable about Lower Decks, is that for the first time in the guts of nearly 2 decades, it actually feels like I'm watching something that belongs in the TNG universe. (I can't count Picard alas, it references TNG but feels like Discovery)

The ship looks TNG, the interiors and props look TNG, and they have actual Klingons. This feels like a show that has been made by some people who have actually enjoyed pre-JJ Abrams Star Trek. I get the feeling that Kurtzman / Secret Hideout's involvement must have been minimal since a lot their trademark screwups appear to be missing.

This is the most Trek show I have seen in a good long while. It's an not incredibly good show, but it makes for a good 20-odd minute Trek cartoon that does not disappoint me like some of the more recent live-action offerings.

I do however feel like they should stop saying that it is "in cannon". This show clearly respects TNG cannon, but it should be allowed to play outside of that cannon. Just call it what it is; a TNG Parody. There's nothing wrong with that.

Dont watch if you havent seen episode Two.

I thought it was very funny

I was trying to figure it out when I was watching that episode...but is that a Cardassian Tactical Officer there on the bridge? Hard to tell with the art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Slydice wrote: »
    ... was a bit easy to figure out before the reveal.

That part for me summed up the show in a nutshell - it had a good core concept but the writers laid it on so thick it came across very ham-fisted & obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Rawr wrote: »
    I was trying to figure it out when I was watching that episode...but is that a Cardassian Tactical Officer there on the bridge? Hard to tell with the art style.

Hard to tell. It could be or it could be another race or maybe like Spock or Belanna and half of two races. I thought he looked a bit Klingon like myself half Klingon maybe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I was wondering recently myself when about is Lower Decks set in and low and behold woke up this morning and the site "Den of Geek" have it as been set in 2380 so 1 year after Nemesis and 2 years after Voyager got home. I would link it but can not do on the mobile so maybe someone else will. Anyway just nice to know and thought everyone in here would like to know that too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So I was wondering recently myself when about is Lower Decks set in and low and behold woke up this morning and the site "Den of Geek" have it as been set in 2380 so 1 year after Nemesis and 2 years after Voyager got home. I would link it but can not do on the mobile so maybe someone else will. Anyway just nice to know and thought everyone in here would like to know that too.

I think I remember reading similar. It would make sense given that they're flying around in a kit-bash of a Galaxy Class, Phasers are TNG style and the intro had D'deridex Class warbirds fighting the Borg. So very TNG / late TNG style stuff going on.

The last episode had a reference to Janeway there, which would suggest a time after Voyager had gotten home with enough time passed for that Captain to be a household name.

Also the Bajoran security cheif makes me wonder if he's one of the many Bajoran's who joined Starfleet on their own intiative, or if Bajor has actually joined the Federation and that he's been transferred in from the Bajoran Militia.

The stardate is only a few increments up from the last latest known stardate. That's how I figured it out at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Why would he ?
    because you said it ?
    You do know most people do not continue to watch things they dont like.
    For me I never watched the animated series, saw one episode of lower decks and it was more than enough.

you declaring things as if they were fact does not make it fact.
    Just because some people dont like something you like, should not mean you should get so defensive.

Ok Darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Episode 3:

Eh, pretty weak. Both the A and B story were just not very interesting or fun, and I can't stand Mariner. What's the point in having a "lower decks" character if she's already so damn good at everything she does, with the attitude to match.

The references to previous Trek characters are all a bit on-the-nose too.

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »
    I think I remember reading similar. It would make sense given that they're flying around in a kit-bash of a Galaxy Class, Phasers are TNG style and the intro had D'deridex Class warbirds fighting the Borg. So very TNG / late TNG style stuff going on.

The last episode had a reference to Janeway there, which would suggest a time after Voyager had gotten home with enough time passed for that Captain to be a household name.

Also the Bajoran security cheif makes me wonder if he's one of the many Bajoran's who joined Starfleet on their own intiative, or if Bajor has actually joined the Federation and that he's been transferred in from the Bajoran Militia.

Think Bajor would have joined the Federation since the prophecy of the plague of locusts (Jem Hader attack ships) has passed.

I'm liking this a little bit more each episode. Agree the callbacks etc are very on the nose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

another great episode. The nostalgia alone is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Think Bajor would have joined the Federation since the prophecy of the plague of locusts (Jem Hader attack ships) has passed.

There were Bajorans in Starfleet even without Bajor joining Federation. Ensign Ro and Ensign Sito (from the TNG Lower decks episode) for instance.

Still no sign of an official release?

Stark wrote: »
    There were Bajorans in Starfleet even without Bajor joining Federation. Ensign Ro and Ensign Sito (from the TNG Lower decks episode) for instance.

This is also true

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I thought episode 2 was very bland, and three was a significant improvement.

The aspect that I appreciate most, is when it takes more subversive jabs at Trekdom, e.g. two fisted punch, great bird of the galaxy, and was that a reference to Miles O'Brien at Work at the end? These are far more preferable to the on-the-nose callbacks.

Spear wrote: »
    two fisted punch, great bird of the galaxy, and was that a reference to Miles O'Brien at Work at the end? These are far more preferable to the on-the-nose callbacks.

I thought those were the on-the-nose callbacks :)

Like he didn't just do some two-fisted punches, he paused for a moment and named them before doing it. And the great bird and Miles O'Brien were just words being said, they didn't have any relevance.

But anyway, I don't mind those too much -- there's just maybe too much of them! But I'm not sure I'm going to warm much to Mariner. Feel like she's suffocating the other characters.

Mariner has one major problem. She's exactly like one of the senior crew, just demoted back to lower decks

• Advertisement

Mariner has one major problem. She's exactly like one of the senior crew, just demoted back to lower decks

Yet also like a toddler on a sugar rush.

Everyone else seems like a fun send-up of a typical Starfleet character; like if you just dial back the comedy quirks you could see them blending into a normal crew. Mariner's just all quirks.

Advertisement