Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Rawr

pah wrote: »
    I've been enjoying this immensely after being highly skeptical before it came out. I thought episode 9 was fantastic. The movie animation was great, lens flare and all :lol: Would love to see a couple of cameos in future seasons for world building.

Kind of love how they managed to send up a lot of the Trek movies. Loved the lens flare jokes, that had me smiling.
    The Mariner character development is still going strong. Wondering if the next episode will round off the season by revealing what scared her away from command. My guess is maybe something during the Dominion War? Would kind of fit the time-scale and DS9 reference earlier.

These people *must* be a completely different group than the live action Trek shows being made. I really get the impression of writers who actually like Star Trek and want to have fun with the lore of the universe we had prior to the Kelvin movies.

I like this Trek show. I hope for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Needs more lens flare. :)

That was an excellent episode.
    Forget Tarantino. Can we get Mariner to write the next Star Trek film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Great episode. They're really taking the holodeck episode concept which was the weak point of the live action series and turning it into their strong suit. The scene where Boimler finds out about Mariner and Freeman, classic :D

Was thinking didn't Voyager do an episode where there was a holodeck story about the crew that became popular, so looked it up and it was "Worst Case Scenario"

Ah must give that a watch. The immediate thing that jumped to mind when I thought "Voyager and holodeck" were those dodgy Fair Haven and Captain Proton episodes along with some tropical paradise one where Neelix is having a very disturbing foot rub orgasm. The times where it came in useful were some of the Doctor character development episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Some really good parts in that episode but I still thought Mariner was annoying at the beginning but got better and some good character development too the funniest part and the best part were most definitly at the end of this episode do the last two minutes just brilliant.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

9: Enjoyed that for the references alone. Think I saw nods to I, III, VI, TNG episodes, DS9 episodes and Generations. Space dock is so cool.

Didn't have a clue what was going on at the start it was an obvious violation of the prime directive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Slydice wrote: »
    9: Enjoyed that for the references alone. Think I saw nods to I, III, VI, TNG episodes, DS9 episodes and Generations. Space dock is so cool.

There's a couple of nods to
    Phase II and the Motion Picture. Such as naming the Spock replacement Xon, and the lightning between the nacelles, which is from TMP concept art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And to the ridicules dune-buggy scene in Nemesis (jet-skis this time), and even the JJ movies with all the lens flair. :D
    Didn't have a clue what was going on at the start it was an obvious violation of the prime directive.

Honestly I thought the episode was in trouble after that opening. Very poor. But, to be fair, I guess there's just not much time in <25 minutes to do everything exactly right. They squeezed a lot into this episode.

I think Mariner's holodeck persona might have been a Khan reference too.

• Advertisement

Hasn't she said previously that Khan is the coolest or best bad guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A really nice episode. Very entertaining and some good jokes.

You can tell this is a show made by Trek fans.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Credit where it's due.. after a shaky start this show has gotten better by the week. Just watched Ep9 now and it was great, especially the VI movie-title and Spacedock sequence nods :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Rawr wrote: »
    I think Mariner's holodeck persona might have been a Khan reference too.

Also felt part Chang especially with the bird of prey!

I kept expecting a record-sratch ending to the ship 'reveal' in space-dock, like as if they'd ever make us sit through that again!, but I think they did a great job of playing it with just enough sincerity that we got to laugh at the sillyness and enjoy the ride. Because damn it I love those silly ship reveals :D

They could have matched the actual length of the motion picture sequence but that would have been the entire 22 mins for the episode used up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Someone else I would like to see in Lower Decks is Timothy from the season 5 TNG episode 11 "Hero Worship"where his ship the USS Vico gets destroyed. Him as a Captain or even second in command of a Starship would be good.
    Also the time traveller from the 22 Century who tried to cod them into thinking he was a historian. Would love to hear or see what he is doing now. Is he in prison or did he become a part of Starfleet or go somewhere else. He is probably the oldest person alive in the 24th Century.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goodshape wrote: »
    I kept expecting a record-sratch ending to the ship 'reveal' in space-dock, like as if they'd ever make us sit through that again!, but I think they did a great job of playing it with just enough sincerity that we got to laugh at the sillyness and enjoy the ride. Because damn it I love those silly ship reveals :D

Love it when the engineer starts bawling

Stark wrote: »
    They could have matched the actual length of the motion picture sequence but that would have been the entire 22 mins for the episode used up :pac:

You'd want to have some set of Andorian antennas to pull off that stunt :D

Totally worth it though.

S1 is nearly over, but they did a real good job fleshing out the characters. I genuinely know more about them and their names!! than most of the Discovery Bridge crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

What an episode! I think easily the high point of the season. I approached Lower Decks with pretty low expectations, but I can honestly say I don't think there have been any duds throughout.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The finale is a hell of a lot darker than I'd have expected.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think that was the most enjoyable episode of Star Trek I have seen in two decades.

Holy crap, that was phenomenal. What a season ender

People are saying that this is a great throwback to standalone Trek but I think that it is as serialised as any modern Trek. It's just that the serialisation is in the character growth, as opposed to external factors.
    Is this canon, because it would be fecking amazing to finally have THAT ship in canon

Holy crap, that was phenomenal. What a season ender

People are saying that this is a great throwback to standalone Trek but I think that it is as serialised as any modern Trek. It's just that the serialisation is in the character growth, as opposed to external factors.
    Is this canon, because it would be fecking amazing to finally have THAT ship in canon

Lower Decks is canon, so is the appearance of the other ship. It's appearance, class and reg number are all matches to the books too.

That ship is canon and I'll fight anyone who suggests otherwise.

Dear god...that was great Trek there.

They managed to merge odd ball humor with same kind of space terror that we are used to back on the regular shows.
    I am delighted that I saw that, and I'd really like some more.

Still plenty to explore too. We still don't know why Mariner shyed away from Command, and I still think there's a story there.

Some classic lines, some excellent Trek space-battle and the end was a lot of fun. I hope the CBS people are taking notes, *this* is the Star Trek I want.

Rawr wrote: »
    Dear god...that was great Trek there.

They managed to merge odd ball humor with same kind of space terror that we are used to back on the regular shows.
    I am delighted that I saw that, and I'd really like some more.

Still plenty to explore too. We still don't know why Mariner shyed away from Command, and I still think there's a story there.

Some classic lines, some excellent Trek space-battle and the end was a lot of fun. I hope the CBS people are taking notes, *this* is the Star Trek I want.

I legit think you need to tweet them as the usual band of I HATE MODERN TREK people will certainly voice their hatred.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Impossible to know in these days of Streaming Services and their jealousy guarded stats whether this show was deemed a success or not. A renewal for a second season is the only metric we can go by here.

TBH I've never found Boards that contrary to the resting consensus of many things; once you strip out the zealous ranters and sulking man-children raving on Twitter anyway. I'd still wonder for whom was this cartoon made, given how much of its humour were in-jokes for fans otherwise ambivalent for cartoon Trek.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I legit think you need to tweet them as the usual band of I HATE MODERN TREK people will certainly voice their hatred.

There is that indeed.
    What is interesting is that I would echo a lot of complaints of modern Trek shows such Discovery and alas Picard. I do think both shows were / are massive let-downs compared to what we could have got if the people running those shows understood what they had on their hands.

But suddenly Lower Decks happens and I'm delightfully shocked to find a show made by people who actually know how to handle Trek.

I know of the various YouTubers who rail against modern Trek. This is because I have watched them myself, and have often been agreeing with some of their arguments against Discovery and then later on in Picard. But then they do the same with Lower Decks, nit-picking it to pieces and I just don't get it. Lower Decks is a good Trek show with a decent sense of humor too. I really can't find too much cause for complaint. Mariner was probably going to be my main complaint of this show...and they actually made her the *best* character in it?!

Hats off to these people. It has been a long time since I could find myself watching an entire season of a Trek show and wanting more. It's a good feeling.

Tbh, whatever about the overall sentiment towards Picard and Discovery, I found the pettiness towards the shows from certain online commentators infuriating. Canon nitpicking and gender ratio bean-counting for example. After watching Picard, I've come to the conclusion that it was overall disappointing, but the online contingent were hating on it before the first scripts were written even.

On the Picard note, I so wish they got Una McCormack on board to help with the TV show. The world, the character building and the premises she set up in the prequel novel were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Stark wrote: »
    On the Picard note, I so wish they got Una McCormack on board to help with the TV show. The world, the character building and the premises she set up in the prequel novel were amazing.
    I'm not sure how much difference that would have made. Chabon is an, allegedly, acclaimed author and it didn't turn out great.

I would love to hear that Picard wasn't getting renewed. Would take LD for 7 seasons every day of the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much difference that would have made. Chabon is an, allegedly, acclaimed author and it didn't turn out great.

Authors don't always make for great scriptwriters, or indeed great showrunners. They're simply different skillsets. Chabon's a good author, I've read his work and informed my initial optimism for the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OK.. that was an outstanding episode. Loved the cameos as well. I wasn't impressed by the trailer and the first episode did little to change my mind, but they completely turned it around by the end once Mariner got toned down a bit.

Definitely onboard for a second season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Massive improvement from the first episode. Really enjoyed it. More stoked for this than the trailer my totally legitimate copy had for disco s3.

Episode 5, poor Bradward :( Damn, these 2D cartoons have layers. I even liked Mariner, her crazy was endearing and the various shootouts to "fake human" races was funny. Not often Trip Tucker gets name checked in a major Trek series either :D No idea what to make of the other two ... ... whose names I simply cannot recall.

Damnit Lower Decks, you sneaky bastàrd you're sneaking into my heart.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    OK.. that was an outstanding episode. Loved the cameos as well. I wasn't impressed by the trailer and the first episode did little to change my mind, but they completely turned it around by the end once Mariner got toned down a bit.

Definitely onboard for a second season.

I think she got toned down due to Boimler’s influence rather than a writing correction. The whole series was pretty much done before anything aired and the one thing the shoes does have in spades is character progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I thought it was only on in the US. Are people watching it with a vpn or is it on tv?

Mules wrote: »
    I thought it was only on in the US. Are people watching it with a vpn or is it on tv?

It's peg legs and parrots on shoulders all round.

• Advertisement

Oh no, another Enterprise! :D

I’ll be buying this on Blu-ray to support the makers.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I’ll be buying this on Blu-ray to support the makers.

I’d like to see this on one of the streaming platforms so I can rewatch easier on one of my devices.

Would also like to see it without the creative totally legal edits that were done to make my totally legal copy of it totally...erm....legal.

....I’m sick of the comm badge being on the wrong side....it’s a small complaint but there you have it....

Delighted Badgey was back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

That finale was great. As others have said some of the most consistently good trek in years.

:eek:

Episode 10, fantastic stuff. Can't believe how much they squeezed into 25 minutes. So good.

Has a season 2 been confirmed yet? I want it.

It really has been a long road getting from there to here.
    Those cameos were clearly just having fun with their characters this time.

Great episode and a great season overall.

Goodshape wrote: »
    :eek:

Episode 10, fantastic stuff. Can't believe how much they squeezed into 25 minutes. So good.

Has a season 2 been confirmed yet? I want it.

Season 2 was ordered some time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Saw a trailer for this ages ago and completely forgot about it until I saw the thread pop up here.

Where are people streaming/watching this? Or is it one of those "you need to be in the US for it"?

Ah that was fantastic.
    Was just watching Archer's Enterprise on the Holodeck. Lol
    Boimler got his promotion, good for him. Will be cool to see more of the Titan next season. Was sort of hoping Mariner would get a promotion to chief of security at the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement