Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ahoy maties. S01E02 be out on the high seas. Yarrr! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm looking forward to episode 4: "Moist Vessel" :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I enjoyed this week's Lower Decks 1x02 more than any episode of trek in about 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Another black female officer that's been Court-martialed. Are we seeing a pattern here? :pac:

Ssh, you'll give away the season finale reveal.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I enjoyed this week's Lower Decks 1x02 more than any episode of trek in about 20 years.

It was better than last week's for sure, but Mariner is still an annoying know-it-all.

I wonder was that Kaylon reference intentional? ;)

The "we're on course for an asteroid" sounded like it came directly from Bridge Commander, for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Wow that Mariner character is insufferable.

I enjoyed almost everything else though! Nice way to get to know the crew, with cyborg fella switching jobs. The first officer looks like good fun. Riker has always been prime material for a sendup and looks like they're going for it :)

But jeeeesssus, Mariner. Almost switched it off after the first 5 minutes because it had been nothing but her dizzy on fizzy pops or whatever it is. It's like she's in a different show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

saw people who love this show, and will promote this rubbish regardless claim the second episode has got better reviews.

That is hardly surprising though, if you are like me and thought the first episode sucked, you are hardly going to watch a second episode, so stands to reason the only people still watching would be those who are biased and going to give positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I have to say I enjoyed that, especially for the second episode of a show I had expected to hate. I just wish they hadn't picked the two least relatable characters to be the main focus.

Rutherford's department-hopping was particularly fun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

saw people who love this show, and will promote this rubbish regardless claim the second episode has got better reviews.

That is hardly surprising though, if you are like me and thought the first episode sucked, you are hardly going to watch a second episode, so stands to reason the only people still watching would be those who are biased and going to give positive reviews.

Or maybe they just like the show and you don't. There's always that. Don't have to justify your own opinion by trashing others' motivations.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Or maybe they just like the show and you don't. There's always that. Don't have to justify your own opinion by trashing others' motivations.

Well done on just proving what I said.

People who like the show are obviously more likely to give good reviews.
    The people who thought it was rubbish have ceased watching.
    Hence why the show is getting better reviews now those that dont like it have stopped watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well done on just proving what I said.

People who like the show are obviously more likely to give good reviews.
    The people who thought it was rubbish have ceased watching.
    Hence why the show is getting better reviews now those that dont like it have stopped watching.

Lol, ah so it's the "silent majority" now? That it only looks like people are enjoying it cos most have stopped watching? What you say makes no sense, as if because people liked a prior episode they must keep liking it? "Bias" as you say. Cmon. Stop having a go at people liking the episode. So you hate it, big whoop. This forum don't need no One True Scotsman nonsense

Why you are so fixated with the obvious logic that you even agreed with, when you clearly stated the people watching are those that "like the show"

Ergo those those that did not like it, have stopped watching, so with less negative viewers now watching, it is hardly rocket science the reviews from those watching would be be more likely be popular.

Seems you are only arguing for the sake of arguing because I did not like it.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Wow that Mariner character is insufferable.

one of the reasons I and others dislike the show.
    That first episode with her was atrocious with her acting like a stroppy child with adhd or a someone on pcp

If people find that character entertaining , good luck to them, but she is most definitely for me too irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought the second episode was better than the first. Some proper laughs at this one. Very enjoyable.

'The Janeway Protocol'. :pac::pac:

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I thought the second episode was better than the first. Some proper laughs at this one. Very enjoyable.

'The Janeway maneuver'. :pac::pac:

Kind of disappointed they didn't elaborate on that. Loved the follow up bit with the kindergarten being the first thing to get blown up during the enemy attack though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Stark wrote: »
    Kind of disappointed they didn't elaborate on that. Loved the follow up bit with the kindergarten being the first thing to get blown up during the enemy attack though :D

That was hilarious, and the follow up line...

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Not as frantic as episode 1, I enjoyed it more, couple of laughs from me. Needs to hit 6 proper laughs per episode.

I don't know about that.

I really really dislike Discovery and thought they made a mess of Picard. As a result I won't be watching the next seasons of it.

This though, despite Mariner, feels more like TNG than anything else from them so far. Episode 1 was a mess but I thought it had the bones of a decent show in it. Episode 2 was a significant improvement save for Mariner again. I didn't laugh at all, but it didn't make me want to turn it off either which I was close to with the first one.

It's only 2 episodes into a new show. I'll give it a chance before I decide.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't know about that.

I really really dislike Discovery and thought they made a mess of Picard. As a result I won't be watching the next seasons of it.

Discovery has gotten better,even if burnham absolutely stinks, especially season 2, then again most of that was due to Anson mount and Rebecca romijn who carried the show, hence why I think Strange New Worlds will be fine, and season 3 of discovery needs to cut back the burnham nonsense.

Picard was something average, not something i would ever go back and watch with fondness, and not bothered if a season 2 of that ever happened.

Discovery has gotten better,even if burnham absolutely stinks, especially season 2, then again most of that was due to Anson mount and Rebecca romijn who carried the show, hence why I think Strange New Worlds will be fine, and season 3 of discovery needs to cut back the burnham nonsense.

Picard was something average, not something i would ever go back and watch with fondness, and not bothered if a season 2 of that ever happened.

Discovery as a premise is broken from the start IMO and the execution has been even worse. Anson Mount was decent so he's getting his own show but that's incidental. I don't get the gushing over Rebecca Romijn from people - she was barely in it and completely forgettable IMO

Season 3 seems to be Burnham saving the timeline now :rolleyes: - I won't be watching.

Picard I had high hopes for but it fell off a cliff after the first episode, and the ending was abysmal. No interest in watching Android/Admiral Picard and his motley crew chase things in the same dark, grim, twisted universe that they've turned Trek into.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Discovery as a premise is broken from the start IMO and the execution has been even worse. Anson Mount was decent so he's getting his own show but that's incidental. I don't get the gushing over Rebecca Romijn from people - she was barely in it and completely forgettable IMO

Season 3 seems to be Burnham saving the timeline now :rolleyes: - I won't be watching.

Picard I had high hopes for but it fell off a cliff after the first episode, and the ending was abysmal. No interest in watching Android/Admiral Picard and his motley crew chase things in the same dark, grim, twisted universe that they've turned Trek into.

You’ll end up watching both.

Even if only to know enough to be able to come on here to deride both

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

That was a marked improvement over the first episode in that it provoked some genuine laughs from me. I liked Rutherford's holodeck training and Boimler's breakdown in the alleyway. But Mariner continues to be a hugely annoying character. Not only that she's hyper-competent at everything which actually makes her character quite boring.
    Mariner knowing both the Klingon emissary and the Ferengi was too much of a stretch. The ferengi encounter would have worked just fine with her pretending not to recognise his species. Just have Mariner chuckle knowingly to herself on the way out of the bar. We didn't need the scene with her talking to her ferengi contact

I think the series saving grace is that it's only 20 minutes per episode so it's not a big investment to watch it. I couldn't stand mariner for a full 40 minutes / hour.

Even if only to know enough to be able to come on here to deride both

Nah.. enough is enough. I've too many other shows to watch/start without wasting any more time on either. The disappointment of Picard was the last straw as I really had high hopes for that show.

If all you wanted was gushing positivity in the episode threads though that's all you had to say :)

Why would he ?
    because you said it ?
    You do know most people do not continue to watch things they dont like.
    For me I never watched the animated series, saw one episode of lower decks and it was more than enough.

you declaring things as if they were fact does not make it fact.
    Just because some people dont like something you like, should not mean you should get so defensive.

Why would he ?
    because you said it ?
    You do know most people do not continue to watch things they dont like.
    For me I never watched the animated series, saw one episode of lower decks and it was more than enough.

you declaring things as if they were fact does not make it fact.
    Just because some people dont like something you like, should not mean you should get so defensive.

I think you need to relax. Seems like banter between 2 regular posters.

does it make my point any less relevant ?

• Advertisement

does it make my point any less relevant ?

Yes

Advertisement