Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Episode 5 : really enjoyed it! Maybe the best one yet.

Good to see other characters getting a bit more time – felt less like The Mariner and Boimler Show. Seeing the new ship was fun. Had a chuckle when it totally dwarfed the Cerritos in the opening shot.

I love that everyone's potentially suspicious of everything, like Mariner vs Boimler's girlfriend. Because of course you would be! :D

And a decent little swicheroo at the end. Poor Boimler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked that episode. Its a strong show for what it is. Liked the flashback to DS9 and the Olympic-class medical ship.

Couple of very funny moments, especially in the Turbolift and life on an exciting ship :D

I love my Trek ships and really liked that new style of vessel the USS Vancouver, a Parliament class ship.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: This one reminded me of the slow moving tng episodes that'd get ya thinking. This felt a bit light on that. Was grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea this was a marked improvement with Mariner significantly toned down from previous episodes. Good A, B and C plots and actually an enjoyable episode all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea this was a marked improvement with Mariner significantly toned down from previous episodes. Good A, B and C plots and actually an enjoyable episode all round.

I agree. That was pretty good. I was surprised to see them actually show the late TNG-era grey uniform in that flashback. They actually gave a damn about uniform continuity :eek: The more I see this the more I'm convinced that the usual Secret Hideout folk were not involved. Kurtzman probably just rubber-stamped this while he was focused on Discovery S3 or something...

I was laughing a good bit at what the Computer managed to determine as "cool" clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Enjoyed the latest episode. Mariner was much more likeable this episode. I think if they keep her at this level of intensity for the remainder of the series, it should be in a good place.

I'm curious how old she is. That flashback seemed to be set not long after the events of First Contact. And it has been hinted a few times throughout the series that aside from rank, she's quite senior and was probably full Lieutenant* at some point but has been demoted for misconduct on at least one occasion.

* I'm basing that guess on her being given a promotion directly to full Lieutenant instead of Lieutenant JG in the last episode. Presuming it was an Ensign/Lt. Paris style restoration of rank as opposed to a traditional promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Every episode feels very shouty to me.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm curious how old she is. That flashback seemed to be set not long after the events of First Contact. And it has been hinted a few times throughout the series that aside from rank, she's quite senior and was probably full Lieutenant* at some point but has been demoted for misconduct on at least one occasion.

* I'm basing that guess on her being given a promotion directly to full Lieutenant instead of Lieutenant JG in the last episode. Presuming it was an Ensign/Lt. Paris style restoration of rank as opposed to a traditional promotion.

My guess is that the Late-TNG era Grey uniform lasted well beyond the Dominion War. It was a probably a few years before they started using the colourful Generations re-tool uniform you see in Lower Decks. The Dominion War ended in 2375, which is only 5 years before the events of this show.

I imagine that the current uniform in Lower Decks is pretty new and if you flashback only a year or so earlier you'd have them in the Grey uniform.

I like your theory about her rank. It did seem odd that they jumped a rank with her, but it would be interesting if that was a *restored* rank. I wonder if they'll reveal a story of her being senior staff but then something serious happened that resulted in her demotion, her indifference to command, and possibly also the reason she's been posted on her own mother's starship. (Possibly to keep an eye on her / take care of her)

I kind of base this on the flashback at DS9. She seemed far more mellow in that flashback compared to the current time. I sense a bit of character development at play....and I like it :)

I feared I'd end up hating Mariner, but she was pretty good in this episode. To parrot one Youtuber (who's name I've now forgotten) Mariner feels like what Micheal Burnham *should* have been. If you had her written like Mariner, I might have actually grown to like that character.

I rewatched the flashback just now and it makes no sense in that while it is obviously set post-Nemesis and DS9 (uniforms, ship class), the (current?) events they're talking about regarding the Enterprise and Lore sound like TNG's "Descent"

I rewatched the flashback just now and it makes no sense in that while it is obviously set post-Nemesis and DS9 (uniforms, ship class), the (current?) events they're talking about regarding the Enterprise and Lore sound like TNG's "Descent"

Absolutely irredeemable. One star!!

:pac:

I did notice that though, yeah. Bit silly alright. A lot of the franchise name dropping (and there is A LOT of it) seems pretty careless though. Wasn't Boimler just shouting "WORF WORF WORF" for no reason at all in the Bat'leth scene in the first episode? And "Romulan whiskey". And plenty of other bad examples.

Seems almost odd because most of the more subtle background references are great.

• Advertisement

Watched the trailer for the next few episodes
    Good news, Q makes an appearance! Bad news, from the brief clip sounds like a generic sounding voice and not John DeLancie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Stark wrote: »
    Watched the trailer for the next few episodes

It is the actor.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It is the actor.

Fcuking A1, boom yeah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really liked episode 5. Marineer was tinned down but still a little annoying on parts. I loved the Vancover it looked like a proper 24th century Starfleetship. The Cerritos is not bad just a bit simpler and not the best or most exciting design. It's a bit like a Dacia. The Vancover is a 6 series BMW compared to the Cerritos. Overall do a very good episode. Enjoyed seeing DS9 and hearing the Enterprise been mentioned in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Six was a bit darker than expected. But I firmly believe Badgey is the greatest character in all of Trekdom, and warrants a spin off series.

Really enjoyed 6. Just nice to have some episodic and 24th century Trek :). Getting decent chuckles out of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Badgy! :eek:

Slydice wrote: »
    6: Badgy! :eek:

Should be ships Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really enjoyed that episode. Proper laughs in it. Definitly the best episode yet. Loved the way they named another ship too. Could say but do not want to spoil it on anyone. Fletcher was a bit bat crazy do. The security chief guy is gas. Loved the way this episode ended and that other ship that is Canon getting mentioned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Spear wrote: »
    Six was a bit darker than expected. But I firmly believe Badgey is the greatest character in all of Trekdom, and warrants a spin off series.

Just watched 6, and yes...I think you could launch a whole series of horror movies based on Badgey alone....and I would watch them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Liked how they listed so many uses of the holodeck

Yea 6 was another good episode (two in row) and the key change is the "calming down" of Mariner and the "zaniness" generally I think. The show is all the better for it. Badgey was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Sorry, is this streaming anywhere over here? I am sure it is mentioned earlier on the thread, but I have gone back a few pages and I am just going to spoil things for myself if I keep doing that.

I love pretty much all trek. Enjoy Rick and Morty, I just can't get my head around where they intersect...

eldamo wrote: »
    Sorry, is this streaming anywhere over here? I am sure it is mentioned earlier on the thread, but I have gone back a few pages and I am just going to spoil things for myself if I keep doing that.

I love pretty much all trek. Enjoy Rick and Morty, I just can't get my head around where they intersect...

Nope.. no international distributor at present, but it's readily available in the "usual places"

Yarr! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Nope.. no international distributor at present, but it's readily available in the "usual places"

Cool was just confirming!

i will probably be too lazy and wait for it to turn up on e4 or something.

I thought I saw October 16th or something for Netflix/prime. I'll do some checking...

Edit: cannot find it, could be mixing it up with Discovery 3.

Latest episode,
    that reference to Voyager Threshold, absolutely brilliant!!! LMAO

Looks like Starfleet tried it again, and closes that plot hole!

That was brilliant :D

Liked that episode a lot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Absolutely love this show. The writers "get" Star Trek which can't be said for much of what we have seen for the last 15 years or so.

Yes, sometimes the humour could be dialled down at times but the A and B plots (which are reversed compared to TNG) are quintessential Trek.

Fantastic references to other shows too.

I havent bought a series on bluray ever but I will get this to show support.

• Advertisement

That was fun :)

Advertisement