Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭droidman123

Discussing the possible deviations and the reasons for them is not "waffling", and to refer to it as such is both rude and ignorant.

The fact that we can't yet predict reliably 4 months ahead does not change that.

Even the Met Office has resumed "seasonal" forecasts, so the phrase "you and the likes of madden and ring" is ignorant and uncalled for - why not say "you and the British Met Office"? :mad:

You are twisting my point for effect. Let me clarify, i have no problem with discussing possible devations but what i said on numerous occasions is irelands weather cannot be forecast 2/3 months ahead, that is not just my opinion, its a fact.you are also paraphrasing what i said completely out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    in the above years only 2010, 2001 and 1991 were good here. We had 2009 as well. March 2013 had several brief moments of snow which fell overnight and melted by noon each day which was a let down as the March sun melted snow on sight. March snow in general really annoys me because it's too little too late and rarely lasts more than a few hours.

December 2004 delivered about 3 inchs of snow during Christmas day here. It was great for the day that was in it but in terms of snowfall didnt last more than 4 or 5 hours on the ground before melting rapidly during nightfall.

The 1996 failed to happen here, there was loads of snow from blanch on wards into Dublin but not a flake fell here. (perhaps it was the IOM Shadow). 1993 I really don't remember anything from that year.

Decent snowfall in my definition is snow at least 4 or 5 inchs deep lasting several days on the ground.

In March 2013 I had frequent snow and I haven't a clue what sun you're talkin' bout haha. It was an exceptionally dull month here - second dullest March on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

kittyn wrote: »
    Is it any wonder posters stop posting here so often 😡

I completely agree. Every winter this forum seems to be more about bickering and sniping about things that don't really matter rather than the actual enjoyment of talking about the weather, which is what it is supposed to be about. Having said that, can't say I am entirely guiltless myself either :p

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

simon Keeling's forecast is similar to MT's. If you go to his videos, he explains his reasoning. I'm only hoping that they have February wrong. I can't wait for Spring. By February, I'm looking forward to warmer times and often it can feel colder than a frosty January day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

simon Keeling's forecast is similar to MT's. If you go to his videos, he explains his reasoning. I'm only hoping that they have February wrong. I can't wait for Spring. By February, I'm looking forward to warmer times and often it can feel colder than a frosty January day.

February is the second coldest month of Winter...almost the same as January and colder than December.

It is also the best month for decent snow here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

I just want cold weather, I've waited long enough for it. I'm not not a lover of sun or summer. I hate the heat. And here are the reasons why
    *it aggravates my 4 y/o (he be 4 on Thursday :) )
    *get hot and horribly sticky
    *can never leave my hair down (it's very long and I ((mostly)) have it down in summer)
    *the heat just p!ssed me off and I burn badly :(
    *its migraine season. (I had one for 13 days and ended up in the mater after trying everything I could possibly think of
    *wasps/bees hate them really do
    *the bins!
    *food spoils to quickly
    *a lot more holiday accidents
    *bugs/getting sick
    *the heat makes you tired more so obviously it means sleeping more
    *cant sleep at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ken76 wrote: »

Time to lump every cent I have for no snow so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Gonzo wrote: »
    in the above years only 2010, 2001 and 1991 were good here. We had 2009 as well. March 2013 had several brief moments of snow which fell overnight and melted by noon each day which was a let down as the March sun melted snow on sight. March snow in general really annoys me because it's too little too late and rarely lasts more than a few hours.

December 2004 delivered about 3 inchs of snow during Christmas day here. It was great for the day that was in it but in terms of snowfall didnt last more than 4 or 5 hours on the ground before melting rapidly during nightfall.

The 1996 failed to happen here, there was loads of snow from blanch on wards into Dublin but not a flake fell here. (perhaps it was the IOM Shadow). 1993 I really don't remember anything from that year.

Decent snowfall in my definition is snow at least 4 or 5 inchs deep lasting several days on the ground.

Yup,flurries and dustings are nothing to be excited
    Let me add to the list
    March 77
    March 78
    January 1979
    January 1981
    Jan 82
    Feb 83
    Feb 85
    Feb 86
    Jan87
    Feb 91

All of those,dumped several inches,sometimes up to 2 feet of snow in the Arklow area and the east in general
    You can see a period there from 1977 to 1987 when there was significant snow nearly every year here
    That formative period in my life coloured my love affair with easterlies/northeasterlies when it comes to proper snow

2010 in all of that was my mumber one because it was the only time I remember the fields here covered in snow for 30days solid
    I wasn't around in 63 but it beat that but not 47 Im told

February is the second coldest month of Winter...almost the same as January and colder than December.

It is also the best month for decent snow here in Ireland.

In my records, I haven't at least 15cm of snow in ANY FEBRUARY. The closest I could find 8cm in 1986 and 9cm in 1991. So February isn't a good month for snow here at Grange. March has 40% more chance of snow than February!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sorry, I forgot to answer yesterday. :o
    No wonder we prefer the Beasterlies on this side of the island!
    Are you sure you're on the right side of the island? ;)
    ps...is there really a place called Palmfield City in Mayo/Roscommon? :confused:
    Of course it is! :D

http://www.logainm.ie/en/43296

And that was the place where 19 cm of snow fell in just one lovely afternoon on 12 Jan 2010:

326729.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yup,flurries and dustings are nothing to be excited
    Let me add to the list
    March 77
    March 78
    January 1979
    January 1981
    Jan 82
    Feb 83
    Feb 85
    Feb 86
    Jan87
    Feb 91

All of those,dumped several inches,sometimes up to 2 feet of snow in the Arklow area and the east in general
    You can see a period there from 1977 to 1987 when there was significant snow nearly every year here
    That formative period in my life coloured my love affair with easterlies/northeasterlies when it comes to proper snow

2010 in all of that was my mumber one because it was the only time I remember the fields here covered in snow for 30days solid
    I wasn't around in 63 but it beat that but not 47 Im told

as a kid growing up in the 80s the above mentioned years in the late 70s and 80s through to 1991 totally gave me an expectation at that time that decent snow was almost a guarantee every winter. Had between 3 days and a week off practically every winter during school due to snow. Many of those events lead to blizzard conditions and drifting of snow and endless snow trains. From 1992 I can count on one hand the amount of memorable snow falls to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

hate to ask , but has M.T posted his winter forecast yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

barney 20v wrote: »

You must also hate to look over a few pages of this thread. It was posted very recently, a few days ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Fred Bobo

Is there any signs of this beinga cold one ? There is chat in the media we could be in for a 2010 or worse rerun

Fred Bobo wrote: »
    Is there any signs of this beinga cold one ? There is chat in the media we could be in for a 2010 or worse rerun

There's chat every year in the media, its actually been quite modest this year.

General question, how do people not realise this?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You must also hate to look over a few pages of this thread. It was posted very recently, a few days ago.

Ahh the ever friendly boards weather forum....
    I had a look earlier today and couldn't spot it.
    Forgive me for asking a genuine question!

Ahh the ever friendly boards weather forum....
    I had a look earlier today and couldn't spot it.
    Forgive me for asking a genuine question!

You mean you had a little look at a few posts and then decided we are your personal help desk?

It's not really a genuine question.
    It was posted at the weekend. Not exactly months ago either, which would be fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Yep he has - some years it has its own thread but this years preliminary forecast is a few pages back here in the general winter thread & so very easily missed .
    Here's a link to it

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

We can all hope for a 2009/2010 winter but as we all know its going to be a 2 week or less of a headsup to really know whats in store, forget about the postman and birds emigrating etc, we will all know for sure just before it happens, a nowcast I think they call it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The ever reliable CFS shows a couple of cold days for a short spell around 6 December...

15120612_2000.gif

The ever reliable CFS shows a couple of cold days for a short spell around 6 December...

15120612_2000.gif

I don't believe that... like it said very little rainfall up to Friday 23rd and last night, it was pouring in places

Source: http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

15120612_2000.gif
    My birthday the 6th,won't be freezing cold in the pub 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's never freezing cold in the pub. :D

Lumi wrote: »
    Yep he has - some years it has its own thread but this years preliminary forecast is a few pages back here in the general winter thread & so very easily missed .
    Here's a link to it

Cheers Lumi- thanks for the helpful and mannerly reply .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Think that should be in the FI thread

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Every f*cking year. They have to be right eventually I suppose.

Plus there's nothing sexy with the headline "Ireland set for mild damp Winter"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Some nice pictures though....

I assume that "odds for snowfall anywhere in Ireland on December 25 have been cut from 5/1 to 2/1 with Ladbrokes" is because similar articles sent a few punters betting on a white Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Some nice pictures though....

I assume that "odds for snowfall anywhere in Ireland on December 25 have been cut from 5/1 to 2/1 with Ladbrokes" is because similar articles sent a few punters betting on a white Christmas.
    yip one bookies (according to misses) has white Christmas down to 6/4 so running scared they are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement