Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I still think the Chorizo burrito at the mexican stall in the Epicurean Food hall (Abbey St) is the best in town.

Another place I liked was a few doors down from Tesco in Rathmines. Apparently they have now re-located, but I do not know where. Does anyone know about this?

Little Ass Burritos - they are now in Dawson St opposite the Mansion House, where Cornish pasties used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Thanks mhge.

I tried going for a burrito at the new Dawson St place on my way home last night (Monday about 5.45) but they were already closing. In Rathmines, they would just have been getting started! Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Huge queue outside LAB, Dawson Street today - they were giving out free burritos as an opening offer. Unfortunately the offer was between 1 and 2 today so deal over :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Unless LAB burritos have substantially changed their recipe I would avoid like the plague. Last 2 I had where horribly stodgy and unpleasant. The meat tasted like it had been cooked in cardboard.

All marketing and no thought given to quality fresh ingredients, very very poor i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Little Ass is very tasty, particularly the pork one. It's kind of different to Pablo's and Boojum though, so might not be to everyone's taste. The nachos there are delicious as well. I went to get a free one at lunch time today but it was wedged. I'll probably head over later and pay for one instead.

IMAG0002.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Little Ass is very tasty, particularly the pork one. It's kind of different to Pablo's and Boojum though, so might not be to everyone's taste. The nachos there are delicious as well. I went to get a free one at lunch time today but it was wedged. I'll probably head over later and pay for one instead.

IMAG0002.jpg

My taste is for authentic, fresh and flavour packed burritos, created using fresh ingredients.

My taste is not for stodgy bland lumps of beans with poorly flavoured dried out meat.

Nice logo tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Boojum has a decent hot/spicy salsa which is key for a tasty and authentic burrito. Little Ass was pretty good as well. Tolteca and Pablo were OK in my opinion. None in Dublin were as consistent and bursting with Mexican flavor as the ones I ate while living in San Francisco.

However I don't understand how Burrito & Blues gets good reviews on Yelp. They use a mashed bean spread (and barely any of it) instead of piling on real pinto or black beans. Beans are an essential ingredient and not a condiment like mayo!

The other key for me is to use an extra large tortilla shell, tightly wrapped, and with not too much liquid, so the burrito does not drip or disintegrate towards the bottom.

One more tip: I would love to see a burrito bar that has a Salsa Bar. That was you can pick up little cups of extra and varied kinds of salsa to top off as you eat. Works for the chips & salsa ordering too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I am pie wrote: »
    griffdaddy wrote: »

IMAG0002.jpg

My taste is for authentic, fresh and flavour packed burritos, created using fresh ingredients.

My taste is not for stodgy bland lumps of beans with poorly flavoured dried out meat.

Nice logo tho....

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan of Pablos, i like Boojum too, just never really arsed going over there from where I live. A lot of the time I feel like a little ass though, it's kind of a different taste to others, but nice none the less. The only place I really don't like is burritos and blues, the ingredients just didn't seem to blend properly or something

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ScottSF wrote: »
    Boojum has a decent hot/spicy salsa which is key for a tasty and authentic burrito. Little Ass was pretty good as well. Tolteca and Pablo were OK in my opinion. None in Dublin were as consistent and bursting with Mexican flavor as the ones I ate while living in San Francisco.

However I don't understand how Burrito & Blues gets good reviews on Yelp. They use a mashed bean spread (and barely any of it) instead of piling on real pinto or black beans. Beans are an essential ingredient and not a condiment like mayo!

The other key for me is to use an extra large tortilla shell, tightly wrapped, and with not too much liquid, so the burrito does not drip or disintegrate towards the bottom.

One more tip: I would love to see a burrito bar that has a Salsa Bar. That was you can pick up little cups of extra and varied kinds of salsa to top off as you eat. Works for the chips & salsa ordering too!
    I never had a good burrito north of LA tbh. I'm a big fan of boojum because it's like the places I went when I was in San Diego and LA. Of course if you're going to be in southern Arizona you have to skip the burrito and go for Mexican hot dogs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I tried the place Burritos and Orange on Abbey Street for the first time today.

Not great but not awful either. Super tacky interior decor and friendly staff but dead as a doornail at 3pm. The chicken burrito I got was ok - better than Taco Taco but no-where near as good as Boojum. The salsa and beans were below par. €6.75 for a burrito to eat in and a can of Sprite which isn't bad value.

Rating 5/10. Don't bother unless you feel you must try everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Hi OP can you put the street names after the restaurant names - i only know where one of them is. Will try the others out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

New place opening in the Epicurean apparently, right across from Taco Taco so hopefully with a bit of competition between them we might see something quality emerge from one or the other.

It's great to see so many burrito places opening in Dublin lately.:)

When I came back to Dublin a convert to Mexican food from my J1 in San Francisco back in 1996 there was virtually nothing.

Jupiterkid, that is not fair on TacoTaco, which is already very good.

I also welcome another burrito place in the Epicurean, but not with the dismissive tone you have towards the people who are there already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ScottSF wrote: »

Never been there, but is that not just refried beans? I love refried beans, always get a side order of them in Azteca.

Jupiterkid, that is not fair on TacoTaco, which is already very good.

I also welcome another burrito place in the Epicurean, but not with the dismissive tone you have towards the people who are there already.

I think you'll find that I'm perfectly entitled to give my opinion on Taco Taco or any other eatery in Dublin or elsewhere.

You can disagree with my view but please don't tell me to refrain from giving a negative opinion. That is my right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CailanOC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ive tried most of the Burrito places around Dublin at some stage.

Boojum is alright but the rice ruins it for me so bloody bland.

Same can be said for little ass not a bad burrito but rice is soggy and the whole thing ends up falling apart.

Im yet to try Pablos will soon. Burritos and blues i found was nice but really small and not good value.

The problem i find with alot these places is they just fill the whole thing with bloody rice and its not even nice tasting rice.

I cant fault taco taco at all no matter what anyone else has said lately on this thread.

Its the one place i always go back to. You get a big well packed burrito that does not fall apart and i like the way they toast it on the outside.
    Always has loads of flavour without filling it with the over the top crap others seem to.

So ill stick with taco taco if im around that area of Dublin the ****ing hipsters and college student types can all wet there jocks over the other places if they like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Never been there, but is that not just refried beans? I love refried beans, always get a side order of them in Azteca.

I suppose they could be considered refried beans and if it is perfectly OK with me to offer that option. But I think their black beans are also refried which I've never seen done before. Refried is typically pinto beans.

Regardless, for me the beans (whole or refried) must be of a similar quantity (volume) as the meat and not just spread lightly on the tortilla with a spatula. That was my experience the one time I went to B&B. A large dollop should be plopped on top of the rice.

I found this amusing quote from Wikipedia on what is a "San Francisco" burrito which helps explain my preference :)
    A successful large burrito depends on an understanding of the outer limit of potential burrito volume, correct steam hydration, proper wrapping/folding technique, and assuring that excess liquid has been removed from the burrito ingredients prior to inclusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

FYI was in the Epicurean food hall yesterday and Taco Taco moved across the hall to nice new premises, it's now called Saburritos. They were closing so had no chance of trying them out but the menu looks roughtly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Had a burrito at Burritos and Blues yesterday. (At least I think that is what it was called. It's on Camden St, just down from Flannerys pub)

Complete and utter shyte ! I hate an overstuffed burrito that falls apart when you bite into it. Dude behind the counter put way too much of everything in to it, even though I specifically said "just a small bit of....".

Don't know if he couldn't hear me (door was open so traffic noise was very loud) or didn't understand me, but it certainly wasn't made the way I like it. Then he squeezed a $hit load of a watery red sauce on it. The whole thing was a wet, soggy mess by the time I sat down at the table. It fell apart after just one bite. Had to eat the damm thing with a fork. Gav up after 5 mins as the whole thing was stone cold from all the sauce it was swimming in.

Man, I sooooo miss Willie's and Moe's burritos in Atlanta. They are masters of making a burrito that is able to marry the hot/cold and the wet/dry ingredients in a way that is hot, flavourful, yummy and most importantly, able to stay in one piece as you eat it. This ain't exactly rocket science stuff folks !

I do not agree that B&B are shyte. I do agree that they have a tendency to come apart, but they are filling and tasty, and the ingredients are good, and those are the main things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Dont' know if anyone mentioned that place but Cafe Azteca on Lord Edward st. does some pretty filling foot long burritos! And it appears to be owned by an authentic mexican chef!

http://www.azteca.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Dont' know if anyone mentioned that place but Cafe Azteca on Lord Edward st. does some pretty filling foot long burritos! And it appears to be owned by an authentic mexican chef!

Never had a burrito in there, but had about 5 or 6 different things off the menu. Really nice stuff, definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Right, so I decided to give Pablo Picante's another go.

Was much nicer this time around, it was like a completely different place than the last 2 times that I was in.

The burrito had a nice taste, the limes were fresh and the chipotle was nice.

That said the burritos were small and pricey and yesterday when the girlfriend and I were walking by there we felt like burritos but ended up walking all the way to boojum instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tried all the places in this thread, Boojum was one of my favourite, as was B&B. Pablo's is ok, and LAB is a load of crap. Soggy, stodgy rice, no real flavour, meat like chewed cardboard. There was a place who did delicious steak burritos on a bbq, was in the Sandyford market on fridays, they've gone now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Anyone tried Mama's Revenge on Nassau Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Footlong burritos!? Very interesting news indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Went there on Monday, had the lamb, was delicious, the wraps are quite thin although we were eating in and they served the burritos on plates. They decorated the top with a very mild salsa and cream. Pricey.

TL;DR delicious, pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Ive been there for lunch a number of times. Excellent burrito.

Owner is really cool. Footlongs, what more do you want :pac:

Pablos is also delicious.

Advertisement