Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Cold Reload

• 28-01-2012 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Very hard to read the current thread so,
    Put all general chit-chat about will it or won't it in here, Leave the other for Model Discussion Only Please.

So i'll get ball rolling,

190282.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

redsunset wrote: »
    Put all general chit-chat about will it or won't it in here, Leave the other for Model Discussion Only Please.

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Does anyone know of any snow songs that dont relate to christmas? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

thomasj wrote: »
    redsunset wrote: »

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Winter wonderland and let it snow make no reference to Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

JJ72 - Snow :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XZ1SLiQOo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

loving the title of this thread mmmmmmm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ME are coming on board with the forecast this evening, with advance mention, (warning is too strong a word for now) of some wintry precipitation Mon/Tue, then becoming colder in the later part of the week.

That's for sure a definite hint of things to come, and remembering the snow in the UK in 82, they had huge problems forecasting what was going to happen, and the end result was a front that got to about Salisbury, and then got pushed back again, dumping significant snow in both directions. Somerset got anything between 6" and 35Ft, (yes 35FT) depending on the wind direction and the drifting that occurred as a result. We could only get in and out of one of our 2 doors, the other one was completely covered by snow, and for a number of days, I knew where my car was, but only because of the depth of snow on the roof that meant I could still see where it was. For sure there was no way it was going to get stolen.

The forecasters were having even more trouble with it than they are now, as it was very volatile movement wise. having snowed, and gone cold, it stuck for about a week, and for the first 5 days, nothing was moving much, there was too much depth to it for even Land Rovers to get around. Anything that could move was used to clear snow, even tracked bulldozers were in use, and that's how we knew about the 35 Ft in one place, a friend followed the phone lines home one night, and a while later, realised that the damage to the tops of the hedge, 35 Ft above the road that was in a cutting, was from him following the phone cables, which had taken a short cut at that point.

What is likely to be more of a problem for a lot of people is if the severe cold that's moving this way takes hold for any length of time, there are a lot of water pipes and even water tanks that are either exposed out doors, or too close to the surface, and if it's more than so cold for any length of time, there will be problems with frozen supply lines and tanks.

From a practical point of view, does anyone have any sort of chart that gives a "tank freeze potential" guide or similar so that people can be at least warned or prepared in terms of when it will be appropriate to start thinking about taking precautions to prevent freezing.

If last winter is anything to go by, there could be problems with water supplies, not because of freezing per se, but because of the number of taps left running, "to prevent them freezing" and wasting massive quantities of water as a result. OK flowing water is less likely to freeze, and standing water will freeze, but is leaving a tap on really going to help? Equally, depending on how cold it gets, roof tanks may be at risk of freezing if the insulation in the attic is too good, so again, any guidelines on what temperature the risk requires a response, like opening the roof hatch for a while, or doing something that will raise the temperature around the tanks.

Not being paranoid, far from it, but having seen problems caused in recent times, if there's some clear guidance here, (which has to be better than the vague notes from local authorities), it might mean the difference between a frozen supply or not.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

"Baby it's cold outside" is the closest i can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Not being paranoid, far from it, but having seen problems caused in recent times, if there's some clear guidance here, (which has to be better than the vague notes from local authorities), it might mean the difference between a frozen supply or not.

I'd hope after spending the last week or more getting to grips with the setup that people would use sense at this stage and just be aware. That's all. No need to panic buy or anything crazy like that. But just keep in the back of the mind that conditions could be radically about to change. Be aware of it particularly for elderly people and animals and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Icanseethewind

It was put into the Weather and Nature thread as thats what your post related to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76781135#post76781135

OK thankyou. I prefer more general chat forums rather than the more technical stuff although it is very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

the only gay eskimo by wierd al. some reference to snow in there i think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

rc28 wrote: »
    Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

JJ72 - Snow :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XZ1SLiQOo

Black sabbath snow blind ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Snow (Hey Ho) by the Chiili Peppers...........not that it's about Snow as we know it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

"Baby it's cold outside" is the closest i can get.

A favourite of mine! :D

One i was thinking of that reminds me of christmas and they were playing it on the radio over christmas but never once mentioned christmas or anything associated with it was sleighride
    Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,Ring ting tingling too come on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with you Outside the snow is falling And friends are calling "yoo hoo",Come on, it's lovely weather For a sleigh ride together with you. Giddy yap, giddy yap, giddy yap,Let's go, Let's look at the show,We're riding in a wonderland of snow.Giddy yap, giddy yap, gidd yap,It's grand, Just holding your hand,We're gliding along with a songOf a wintry fairy land Our cheeks are nice and rosyAnd comfy cozy are weWe're snuggled up togetherLike two birds of a feather would beLet's take that road before usAnd sing a chorus or twoCome on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with you. There's a birthday partyAt the home of Farmer GrayIt'll be the perfect ending a perfect dayWe'll be singing the songsWe love to sing without a single stop At the fireplace while we watchThe chestnuts pop. pop! pop! pop! There's a happy feelingNothing in the world can buyWhen they pass around the coffe and the pumpkin pieIt'll nearly be like a picture print by Currier and IivesThese wonderful things are the things We remember all through our lives! Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,Ring ting tingling tooCome on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with youOutside the snow is fallingAnd friends are calling "yoo hoo",Come on, it's lovely weather For a sleigh ride together with you. It's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Let It Snow

(Christmas free clip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

holy jasus first page & its turned into a music tread :p

darkman2 wrote: »
    I'd hope after spending the last week or more getting to grips with the setup that people would use sense at this stage and just be aware. That's all. No need to panic buy or anything crazy like that. But just keep in the back of the mind that conditions could be radically about to change. Be aware of it particularly for elderly people and animals and that.

Indeed. Well aware of those aspects, a large fish pond and 2 cats covers the animal side, I have had problems one year with the filtration pipes freezing, and lever action ball valves can blow the body of the valve when they freeze if they are in the off position, which can be a problem for replacement, depending on the structure of the pipes.

Getting in and out is not an issue usually in a 4 x 4 :D, but the water tank issue caused huge problems in some areas last year, my son lost his supply for the best part of a week due to supply pipe freezing, and a filter housing in the garage also cracked when it froze, and I suspect that a lot of people will get caught if it gets as cold as the charts are suggesting, the European temperatures are lower than anything that's been seen here in a long time.

Most people around here are pretty good with checking on neighbours, and getting things for them if they can't get out, there are times when some of the minor roads can be tricky if they've not been gritted, it was "entertaining" last winter watching some of the BMW drivers trying to get out of some of the local estates, they didn't handle the conditions very well :D

82 wasn't a massive problem, but there were no deliveries of fresh milk or bread for a number of days, there was no way for the distribution systems to operate. I've been here just over 20 years, and we've not had a long cold spell in that time, I have to admit I'm not convinced that the emergency response systems would cope well with a combination of significant snowfall and a long cold spell, if for no other reason than that dealing with powdery snow is not something that the usual equipment here is set up for, and if there's a significant wind still blowing, it gets cleared and then blows straight back again where it came from, wet snow is much easier in that respect, it just forms big immovable lumps that once cleared stay that way.

There was a period of 2 or 3 days in the late 80's here where we had snow like that, it just moved when driven in, rather than packing to solid ice, and in central Dublin, where I was working at the time, it caused chaos, as too many people just didn't know how to drive in it, there were huge numbers of minor accidents in the city.

The water scenario is the one that could be an issue, if the cold spell is a long one, it got serious last year, and the cold spell was as such relatively short in comparison, too many taps running will cause all sorts of issues.

It's going to be an interesting few days, that's for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

The 9 cats & 4 dogs here probably won't even notice from the sofas. But thanks for the reminder DM2, I've now gotten extra blankets & food at the ready for the feral cat colonies I manage.
    Elderly neighbours are sorted too, both myself & neighbour have jeeps so they just give us their lists for the shops & we've enough firewood here to heat a small village.
    Basically we're all prepared thanks to the theads here last winter.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Being prepared for things like this is important, Ive been expecting bad weather but it has never come. I've had 7 small "snow events" this winter so far although none that have lasted on the ground for more than two days.

I live on a high mountain road which is pretty steep to navigate in the ice and snow so I keep about a month or so of supplies, large chest freezer helps, I freeze bread, milk, rashers and sausages and all the normal frozen foods. A good supply of tinned stuff beans, soup and tuna ect, dry goods such as flour, pasta and porridge oats. Feed for the hens too! and the cat you don't want to have to give her your tins of tuna.

I don't have a piped water supply up here so I have a rain water tank and this froze solid last time so need to keep containers of fresh water indoors, Also have an alternative to electric for cooking on in case of outages such as a camping gas stove and spare gas.

Reading back on that and it sounds like I'm a mad american prepper , I'm not :pac: ,But I dont want to go without the finer things in life if I am snowed in, any way might never happen and this may only affect the east if at all,
    be prepared:D and dont forget the chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I just want a chance to justify buying snow boots which are in the box under the bed in the spare room since early October... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

mothel wrote: »
    I just want a chance to justify buying snow boots which are in the box under the bed in the spare room since early October... :(

they must be melted by now

• Advertisement

Being prepared for things like this is important, Ive been expecting bad weather but it has never come. I've had 7 small "snow events" this winter so far although none that have lasted on the ground for more than two days.

I live on a high mountain road which is pretty steep to navigate in the ice and snow so I keep about a month or so of supplies, large chest freezer helps, I freeze bread, milk, rashers and sausages and all the normal frozen foods. A good supply of tinned stuff beans, soup and tuna ect, dry goods such as flour, pasta and porridge oats. Feed for the hens too! and the cat you don't want to have to give her your tins of tuna.

I don't have a piped water supply up here so I have a rain water tank and this froze solid last time so need to keep containers of fresh water indoors, Also have an alternative to electric for cooking on in case of outages such as a camping gas stove and spare gas.

Reading back on that and it sounds like I'm a mad american prepper , I'm not :pac: ,But I dont want to go without the finer things in life if I am snowed in, any way might never happen and this may only affect the east if at all,
    be prepared:D and dont forget the chocolate.

Sounds like paradise! I'm so jealous! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flying Fish

mothel wrote: »

Believe :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Looks like a major upgrade of severe cold potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Was just wondering on the GFS [Temp 2m] does this mean temp 2 metres from ground level ( sorry if question sounds stupid):confused:

I have those exact ones. Used them last year and they're brilliant! Take them off before going indoors though, they're deadly on tiled or wooden floors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Was just wondering on the GFS [Temp 2m] does this mean temp 2 metres from ground level ( sorry if question sounds stupid):confused:

Yes.

Believe :-)

I BELIEVE!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

cyclops999 wrote: »

2 Meter Air Temps , basically ground level

Major upgrade again from 18z , will do up a comparison video soon on the two runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

2 Meter Air Temps , basically ground level

Major upgrade again from 18z , will do up a comparison video soon on the two runs

be gone with yer auld model talk yer messin up the chat thread :pac: (joking;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

This will be bigger than 1982 & 1963 combined. I am buying tinned food.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i am tinning food right now, fill the freezer and what ever i can't squeeze in i just leave outside from tuesday night on!!!!!!!!! oh lord have mercy, bring it on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Dean Martin - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

The whole idea of caution seems to have left the forum. Remember in mid December the monster storm that was threatening to wipe out half the country at 72hrs?

Just advising against investing in preparations - be smart, i.e. be ready, but don't go spending a few k on a snow plough yet, or a months food supply yet! Spend all you want preparing when even Gerry Murphy is forced to concede that it's going to snow!

K_1 wrote: »
    Spend all you want preparing when even Gerry Murphy is forced to concede that it's going to snow!

will that be before or after Hell has frozen over :D:D

Seriously, if that's possible any more at the moment, I appreciate all the comments people are making about the charts, but do we HAVE to quote the chart as well in the reply, it's getting very hard to tell what's new data and what's a copy of a copy of a quote of a reply:D

• Advertisement

Whooa! Just want to say I did not advise anyone to panic buy or anything crazy of the sort. This is not at all certain to happen as badly as predicted on the models. Last thing I want is some irrate farmer hunting me down with a pitch fork if things don't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

UPGRADE, UPGRADE, UPGRADE !!!!!!!!!!

from beer to whiskey, you get to pee less :D

but on a serious note, if we're getting Siberian weather, does that mean theres someone somewhere getting our weather, I mean are the Icelanders goin pure mental up there right now on boards.ice over the prospect of getting a right hammerin' of drizzzzzle for 10 days on end ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Although this winter didn't come with much frost or snow (so far)
    We had some pretty intense low systems off the North West and now a 1060 high in Russia.
    Not only snow has to make it interesting :) Although it does help. Plus snow makes all areas look the same rich or poor. Snow is a social saviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

I still sticking to my view that Ireland wont see a single flake below 300 metres from this "Siberian blast"..... and even in the mountains the snow will be what you would expect during a typical Irish Winter. Its all speculation and just wait until Tuesday... major downgrade will be on hte cards... the intense cold will fail to reach beyond Eastern France and will give little more than a few sunny cold days and some night time frosts in Ireland. The Atlantic will break through on Tuesday and that will be it. I work in Dublin Airport and I can tell you that we consult official agencies...Met Eireann and other European ones and they still adamant that we do not have to put the snow plan into action as there will be nothign to worry about in the next ten days. Just watch the retractions and gradual downplaying of forecasts by the "experts" on here, like all those in the model discussion room.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I freeze bread, milk, rashers and sausages and all the normal frozen foods. be prepared:D and dont forget the chocolate.

Milk ? How does that fare when you defreeze it ? I must stock up my freezer, I'm in South East but around 190masl, and I got snowed/freezed in a lot during the last events (previous years). Have snow chains and a 4x4 this year so should be ok, but in really extreme conditions might still be tricky enough to get out of my place down to the main road 3/4 miles away.

... Mountainy man ... *** flutters eyelashes... ***

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I still sticking to my view that Ireland wont see a single flake below 300 metres from this "Siberian blast"..... and even in the mountains the snow will be what you would expect during a typical Irish Winter. Its all speculation and just wait until Tuesday... major downgrade will be on hte cards... the intense cold will fail to reach beyond Eastern France and will give little more than a few sunny cold days and some night time frosts in Ireland. The Atlantic will break through on Tuesday and that will be it. I work in Dublin Airport and I can tell you that we consult official agencies...Met Eireann and other European ones and they still adamant that we do not have to put the snow plan into action as there will be nothign to worry about in the next ten days. Just watch the retractions and gradual downplaying of forecasts by the "experts" on here, like all those in the model discussion room.......

well theres an opinion based on unrigorous non-science. The models have changed and are firming up - the atlantic is not coming through. The UK is definitely in the freezer.

The models chop and change so the instructions for Friday ftom the met will be different from tomorrow, and today. Met uk has just issued yellow alerts for tomorrow and Monday in the West & South West, there were none yesterday.

Well done this man.

Far be it from me to argue with someone who, by admission, knows it all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Milk ? How does that fare when you defreeze it ? I must stock up my freezer, I'm in South East but around 190masl, and I got snowed/freezed in a lot during the last events (previous years). Have snow chains and a 4x4 this year so should be ok, but in really extreme conditions might still be tricky enough to get out of my place down to the main road 3/4 miles away.

... Mountainy man ... *** flutters eyelashes... ***

I may as well be the one to say it...you're screwed! There's only one thing for it, ring the irish air corps and ask to rent one of these babies...http://www.military.ie/uploads/tx_templavoila/6_Heli_Taxi_707pxl_01.jpg

You sound very certain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Yahew wrote: »
    well theres an opinion based on unrigorous non-science. The models have changed and are firming up - the atlantic is not coming through. The UK is definitely in the freezer.

The models chop and change so the instructions for Friday ftom the met will be different from tomorrow, and today. Met uk has just issued yellow alerts for tomorrow and Monday in the West & South West, there were none yesterday.

file.php?40,file=22180,filename=DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I still sticking to my view...blahdy blahdy blah

Why would the airport kick a snow plan into action now? Theres no snow now. And would they really have said 'we really should tell sean' if they were doing it? And how long would it take to man the ploughs, 10 minutes? Jeeeez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm just hoping for model consensus by 00z, with this potential major weather event just five to ten days out, we need to have a reliable basis for alerts and warnings. At the moment, I would agree that the range of outcomes is just about the entire spectrum from nothing much to a crippling snowstorm with severe cold.

By the way, this is not so much a case of late delivery as missing shipments, when I made my seasonal long-range forecast I was expecting two or three outbreaks like this from mid-January to about the time scale of this predicted blast, then a milder end to February. Instead we saw one weak cold spell (stronger in the UK) two weeks ago, then back to the Atlantic which seemed wounded but still in control, now this beast looming.

I would have to say, this Siberian-Russian high looks strong enough to have its way with a rather puny Atlantic so I rather expect the GFS solution to be closer to the eventual outcome than the Euro, but the interesting thing is that a blend of the two would actually give more snow to Ireland than either of the models themselves. I will cross-post this in the other thread since I got into a model discussion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    file.php?40,file=22180,filename=DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

Im in too minds if he is actually one or just very naive.

I refuse to be dragged into the hype.... it will all disintegrate on Tuesday, and then everyone will be left wondering yet again where did it all go wrong?? It is dangerous, panic inducing and irresponsible for people to be on here talking about repeats of 1982 and prolonged cold spells ... there are useless journalists who will use stuff they read in here and start writing untrue and far fetched articles in tabloids in the next day or two worrying older people and farmers.

And I no troll.... but I out of here to do better things. Goodbye forever

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement