Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Its lunacy.....whole country raging over that eviction yesterday in dublin

That lad screaming fake news,when people point out evictions happening

Good on them, more should be thrown out

Dog eat dog world

I did see the ones that got thrown out at least they left them with face masks.

Safety first!!! We are all in this together

Bowie wrote: »
    Rather than discussing the implications it's always going for the shut down.

If a landlord moves to evict you or raises the rent what do you do to prove you've been affected financially by covid and who do you go to about it? Will the turn around be quicker than the bailiffs turning up? Will it be quicker than the next rent due date? I've no idea.

I agree, You have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Really?

What kind of people do you know would "prefer" this arrangement?

Would you at any point in your life have chosen co-living over say, a shared house?

Anyone peddling co-living as a positive option to anyone not in on-campus or near-campus student accommodation is delusional.

Co-living as "part of the overall solution" is just a nicer way of saying "developers, REITs and their enablers are greedy as hell and don't give a flying f**k about solving the housing issue in our cities."

State-/LA-owned social housing is a part of the solution as well, funny how it has slipped down the list though in recent years.
    I've done co-living, the attraction was cost. It was fine for the time I did it then you move on to another way of living. I've done the shared house too, can be an absolute nightmare and was on one occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    I've done co-living, the attraction was cost. It was fine for the time I did it then you move on to another way of living. I've done the shared house too, can be an absolute nightmare and was on one occasion.

The problem is once we open the door these stop gaps will become the norm.
    There was a time emergency accommodation was one or two families for a week or so.
    There also was a time the tax payer only bought housing to use as social as an emergency stop gap measure.
    All of the above are now the norm.

When shared living moves up the income grades as the only option working people/families can afford, it'll be too late.

Although we've more homeless children now, (with the exceptions due to covid) than we did back in the slum days I don't think a return to shared living is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There was a time emergency accommodation was one or two families for a week or so.
    There also was a time the tax payer only bought housing to use as social as an emergency stop gap measure.

When shared living moves up the income grades as the only option working people/families can afford, it'll be too late.

Although we've more homeless children than we did back in the slum days I don't think a return to shared living is the answer.
    I actually see it as another quite small segment, not a stopgap. There are people who will embrace it but it's really not a family living set-up nor is it meant to be. If the LA/mass housing builds were going on we wouldn't hear about this. Into that vacuum this kind of thing suddenly becomes a "policy".

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    I actually see it as another quite small segment, not a stopgap. There are people who will embrace it but it's really not a family living set-up nor is it meant to be. If the LA/mass housing builds were going on we wouldn't hear about this. Into that vacuum this kind of thing suddenly becomes a "policy".

I know a lot of people got hit when the new restrictions came in and all the bedsits went. I would not like to be forced into a shared living situation, been there done that but at least you got to vet the co-habitants.
    The thing is once this kind of thing is there, it lessens the incentive on building or making available anything better.
    Councils traditionally had a shortage of single person dwellings, which is where bedsits and the like filled the gap.

Although we've more homeless children now, (with the exceptions due to covid) than we did back in the slum days I don't think a return to shared living is the answer.

So if SF come out tomorrow and say they fully support co-living you will go against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

FF TD @lawlessj says it would be "helpful" if Leo Varadkar "refrained from commenting" on matters unrelated to his brief.

"If everybody could confine themselves to their own departments it would be helpful."

Also says Simon Harris should stop commenting on health issues.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1294227529251856387?s=19

Someone telling Leo to STFU......That'll go down well among the FG zealots. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lawless..........? ..... never heard of him

• Registered Users Posts: 67,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »

Any decent leader would have him shut up and in his place at this stage. Michael Martin is clearly too weak to do it.

2 years of this carry on FG will be in tatters...maybe this is Michael's strategy to win back a few voters swinging between FG and FF?

• Advertisement

Tbf it is v.unprofessional.....lad openly undermining micheal martin/giving interviews before meetings etc

Though great ould craic to see martin squirm as he cant pull em up on it,as they will walk out and push for another election

Lawless..........? ..... never heard of him

It's not really important if you heard of him or not, he's saying the same thing publicly about leo as has been said on here for years. Always the expert on someone else's department, shyte record within his own ministerial departments.

Any decent leader would have him shut up and in his place at this stage. Michael Martin is clearly too weak to do it.

2 years of this carry on FG will be in tatters...maybe this is Michael's strategy to win back a few voters swinging between FG and FF?

Reminds one of Mary Lou, who allows a lad like Cullinane exult about ‘breaking the State’ and gives him a senior position and no rebuff.

So, one would have to conclude that she supports his view :eek:

Any decent leader.......yyada .....yada......yada:cool:

It's not really important if you heard of him or not, he's saying the same thing publicly about leo as has been said on here for years. Always the expert on someone else's department, shyte record within his own ministerial departments.

Fairly standard thing to do alright...send an underling out to give the warning.

It is really Randal, grunts and gumshoes have been tossing out this kind of rubbish for yonks.

Anonymous ‘activists’ like we encounter on platforms like this, horse out this crud 24/7.

Throwing in Simon 'boo boo' Harris was a nice touch.

I wonder is Martin just letting LV make an annoying tit of himself or maybe he's not arsed as he has the top job?

Fairly standard thing to do alright...send an underling out to give the warning.

So too is the "shoot the messenger" as has been so marvellously demonstrated by Brenner there....

I'm on the Wicklow/Kildare border, and Lawless is actually a TD for my area, gave him a nod in the last election.

So too is the "shoot the messenger" as has been so marvellously demonstrated by Brenner there....

I'm on the Wicklow/Kildare border, and Lawless is actually a TD for my area, gave him a nod in the last election.

Brendan is a coin who plays politically naïve when it suits or is actually politically naïve.

There is a certain type of backbencher coin who awaits with bated breath to be sent out to send messages like this. Regina Doherty cut her teeth on it.

Brendan is a coin who plays politically naïve when it suits or is actually politically naïve.

There is a certain type of backbencher coin who awaits with bated breath to be sent out to send messages like this. Regina Doherty cut her teeth on it.

Uhmmmmm

One would have to say that post is very personal..... wonder what will happen.

Uhmmmmm

Nothing

• Advertisement

Uhmmmmm

Nothing personal...wondering out loud, how somebody would not know the pupose of a backbencher turning up on the national broadcaster is to clip anothers wings and keep a distance for the leader.

Sounds kinda personal to this poster.......

Wonder what will happen"...............uhmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sounds kinda personal to this poster.......

Wonder what will happen"...............uhmmm

Nothing.

If the shoe was on the other foot....

Uhmmmmm

I didn't think it was personal Brenner, certainly not a personal attack anyway (jeez you are fierce fragile all of a sudden)

Besides, you use the term often enough yourself to describe others, unless of course you're saying you get personal digs in when you use it?

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Coin&forum=&user=753107&date_from=&date_to=

I don't think you thought that one through for more than a nanosecond horse.

Nothing.

If the shoe was on the other foot....

Well, j, if examples were given and reference to stuff posted to support the
    personal accusation of “political naivety “ I could accept it, and defend it, its posts like that personal attack upset me quite substantially.

No proof , just horse out the ‘judgement’ based on nothing.

Uhmmm... not. good enough.

Lookit... on mature reflection.... let’s end this.

Don’t want to get anyone censured..... will accept no offense intended

Case closed..... from my point of view.

Over and out......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Best way to deal with people like Varadker is to ignore him, he's yesterday's man, going nowhere fast, few years time it'll be Leo who?
    Be a warm up act for Jedward or Brian McFadden.

Well, j, if examples were given and reference to stuff posted to support the
    personal accusation of “political naivety “ I could accept it, and defend it, its posts like that personal attack upset me quite substantially.

No proof , just horse out the ‘judgement’ based on nothing.

Uhmmm... not. good enough.

I'm not allowed get involved anymore as I was told I'll get banned.

Sorry B.

The online army win this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Best way to deal with people like Varadker is to ignore him, he's yesterday's man, going nowhere fast, few years time it'll be Leo who?
    Be a warm up act for Jedward or Brian McFadden.

Doesn't even have the hair for it.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    Doesn't even have the hair for it.

Jesus.

Think about what you just posted, you're meant to be an adult.

That's something I would have heard from bullies in school 20 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement