Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeing Christmas Out-of-Season 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

yulenka wrote: »
    Zoria wrote: »
    I do my own roasted potatoes which have to be King Edwards. I put out a plate of flour and roll the potatoe halves in it until they're completely covered and drop them into the tray. They must be cooked in goose fat! :) The flour makes them crispy and reduces the odds of them getting burned. I can't remember where I got that tip from,

May I ask why King Edwards?
    I have never heard of them,
    I believe they are one of the best spuds to use for roasting. I watch a lot of cooking shows, and I'm sure both Jamie Oliver and Nigella used them, also Delia Smith prefers them. Here is an article about them in woman and home :)http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/290694/christmas-recipes-roast-potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yulenka

Just read that x thanks for including the link,

Must get myself some King Edwards. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

IMAG0022.jpg

Hamley's candy cane Christmas tree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Elf is on Film4!! :-D Christmas movie in August - SCHWEET!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

leahyl wrote: »
    Elf is on Film4!! :-D Christmas movie in August - SCHWEET!

Ha, I was watching that, I'd put on the tv whilst ironing and happened across it (though I do have the DVD), was very happy to watch it :D

I didn't catch it, but one of my all time favourites is National Lampoons Christmas vacation. So funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I had the new Kitten down the end of our garden yesterday so she could freak out on the trees for a while and I saw the dotiest Robin! It was hopping from branch to branch watching herself and I noticed it's breast was taking on it's red feathers. So exciting - hope it hangs about. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

yulenka wrote: »
    Have been looking at the winter pictures section

Ireland got hit bad with snow in 2010-2011, I must comment because it must of made for the perfect Christmas

Has anyone any stories they would like too share about that?

Does everyone like a white Christmas or some prefer it to not snow?

Welcome Yulenka

I am a complete snow nut and was over the moon to get the snow that year. We also got it the year before that. So I had 2 white Christmasses in a row. :) I've waited my whole life for that and it was something special.

The only downside was a lot of things got cancelled, like Christmas meet-ups. I didnt go out that much and was stranded in my brother's house for a few days. Also the pipes froze over so there was no running water!
    But to be honest I don't even remember all the bad stuff. I was with my family and luckily most of us get on so we had a lovely time, making snowmen, playing games, watching films.

I hope we get the snow this Christmas again. I also noticed the second year we got it, people were able to get around that bit more. People bought crampons, snow tyres. The paths were cleared of ice so more people could get around town (the year before they didnt clear the ice and there was a lot of falls and broken bones).
    Also there was less car accidents because people were driving much more carefully, so that was a good thing.

What about yourself? Do you like a white Christmas?

PS Just want to add that the lake and river froze over where I lived and you could even walk on it. It was the winter wonderland of my dreams. I can't believe I experienced snow like it! :D

Would be great to go to a proper Christmas market in Germany/Prague - I think these are the real christmas markets, the birthplace of Christmas markets if you get what I'm saying! I went to one in London last year alright and it was lovely but I'd say the ones in Germany are amazing :)

I'll be on my summer holidays in a few weeks but not going anywhere:( so would love to get away for a Christmas break:)

Yeah, I went to a Christmas market about 10 years ago in Strasbourg and that particular market was almost 500 years old! :eek:
    It's just so beautiful walking around with your mulled wine, looking at all the twinkling lights and everyone is all wrapped up and happy. It's just perfect.

Like you I didnt have a holiday in Summer, so I booked the Christmas market holiday way back in Aug/Sep.

So go on and treat yourself! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

The Royle Family Christmas Special is on Gold right now, watching it :)

irishbarb wrote: »
    Going to switch it on, thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Own dem all. Only one I canni watch is nanna's death. Cos they play Scarlet Ribbons. My mammy used to sing me to sleep every nite wi that. And she has been so ill me growin up it is just a bit 'ah no can't do'

I moved recently to a bigger house and now I can see all my Christmas DVD's together on the shelf - soooo tempted to start watching them....... Must control the urge....

hdowney wrote: »
    Own dem all. Only one I canni watch is nanna's death. Cos they play Scarlet Ribbons. My mammy used to sing me to sleep every nite wi that. And she has been so ill me growin up it is just a bit 'ah no can't do'
    That is a hard one to watch. I have the box set too, I must dig it out :)
    Love2love wrote: »
    I moved recently to a bigger house and now I can see all my Christmas DVD's together on the shelf - soooo tempted to start watching them....... Must control the urge....
    Don't! :D I'm going to start watching all things Chrismassy to get me better motivated for present buying, well it's my excuse :)

Mr.Bean Christmas episode just started on Comedy Central +1 right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

There's a Christmas episode of "Murder She Wrote" on right now - gotta hand it to the Americans - even when there's murder in Cabot Cove the decorations & carols are top notch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jenny wren 1950

089bh.jpg

089bh.jpg

aaaaaw this was when we had all the snow I presume?:pac:

Lovely pic :)

Guys not long now til September - I think we can start getting really excited then cos we're heading into the 4th quarter of the year and closer to the big day:D

Also, X Factor starts back this weekend - Christmas is coming!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Set a date today for putting up the Tree for Christmas 2012.

The mother is going to stay with her sister in Perth for 3 months and is leaving next week. She asked if we could have our tree up for when she arrives back in Ireland on November 27th. I'm happy to oblige as its only a few days earlier than I would have put up the decorations anyway.

• Advertisement

Holiday's are coming Holiday's are coming....

I am so sad that my tree will be up for no time at all this year, but happy to be going to Paris. Grr

I was late night shopping in town this evening and I was so excited when it started getting dark at 7pm!! OK it was really because of a huge raincloud but still.... It felt really Christmassy!!!:D

I was late night shopping in town this evening and I was so excited when it started getting dark at 7pm!! OK it was really because of a huge raincloud but still.... It felt really Christmassy!!!:D

Love it:D Everyone thinks I'm nuts cos I say I prefer winter to summer - but it's just cos the weather is so 'christmassy' - by that I don't exactly mean snowy (although that's great!) but I mean wet and windy and dark early - I know, I'm such a freak:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Love it:D Everyone thinks I'm nuts cos I say I prefer winter to summer - but it's just cos the weather is so 'christmassy' - by that I don't exactly mean snowy (although that's great!) but I mean wet and windy and dark early - I know, I'm such a freak:D

You're certainly not a freak on this forum, I also prefer Winter to Summer, bring on the dark wintery nights, nothing like snuggling up at home in front of the fire while the weather is awful outside :D

lockie1983 wrote: »
    You're certainly not a freak on this forum, I also prefer Winter to Summer, bring on the dark wintery nights, nothing like snuggling up at home in front of the fire while the weather is awful outside :D
    You could say the same about our summer :D I agree with you though, at least the winter is somewhat consistent, cold and miserable!

i love the winter my idea of heaven is snuggled on the sofa in my big duvet:D with a cadbury selection box:D and my christmas tree lights twinkling away :D.....soon but not yet.....LOL

i love the winter my idea of heaven is snuggled on the sofa in my big duvet:D with a cadbury selection box:D and my christmas tree lights twinkling away :D.....soon but not yet.....LOL

Plus a great Christmas film! Can't wait. Roll on 1st December :)

Another winter fan here! Much prefer it to Summer.
    Loved getting wrapped up in scarves and hats!

But I have to agree, people think you are stone mad to be that way! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Love Love Love the winter because Christmas falls then but autumn is my favourite season. I can't wait for the leaves to start changing colour and the mornings to get frostier, stomping through dead leaves with the kids squeeeeeeeeeee it makes me so happy :).
    Signs of Christmas coming xfactor started tonight by the time its over CHRISTMAS:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3151005%3A1054%3A24%2D12%2D2011%3A

Love it - last years Joe Duffy show from Grafton Street - listen to it every Christmas Eve:D:pac::)

• Advertisement

I found one of my "Now Christmas" compilations earlier today while I was cleaning out some stuff I have been hoarding. I haven't played it yet, in case the OH thinks I've lost the plot. I'll wait till he isn't around and I'll confuse the hell out of my neighbours :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Zoria wrote: »
    I found one of my "Now Christmas" compilations earlier today while I was cleaning out some stuff I have been hoarding. I haven't played it yet, in case the OH thinks I've lost the plot. I'll wait till he isn't around

Sounds like you're planning on cheating on your OH with Christmas! :eek: :P

Eeeekkkk!!!! Pick up a pair of kids Christmas PJ's yesterday in Penneys! That would be my first item with Christmas on it bought this year!! It's started :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Love it:D Everyone thinks I'm nuts cos I say I prefer winter to summer... I know, I'm such a freak:D
    Oh, I LOVE the winter too! It's brilliant! :)
    Wrapping up warm in scarves and gloves, woolly jumpers, hot chocolates, fluffy socks, the dark evenings, mulled wine by the fire, the prospect of Christmas around the corner, the gradual appearance of trees and the twinkling of the lights... eeek! :D

Eeeekkkk!!!! Pick up a pair of kids Christmas PJ's yesterday in Penneys! That would be my first item with Christmas on it bought this year!! It's started :D:D:D

Did they actually have Christmassy things on them, or were they just the thick wooly ones? Can't believe they have Christmassy stuff out already! :D

Did they actually have Christmassy things on them, or were they just the thick wooly ones? Can't believe they have Christmassy stuff out already! :D

They have a Christmas scene on it with the word 'Christmas'' on it :)

They have a Christmas scene on it with the word 'Christmas'' on it :)

:-O :-D

I came across women's t-shirts on a website I like that say ''Meet me under the mistletoe'' on them. Must be last year's stock cause they were on sale for €5, but I'm tempted to get a few as presents for friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Nothing better than coming home on a cold winters night having a hot bath then curling up in front of the TV with the fire lit, decent food, Christmas lights on, good company, and that whole buzz of Christmas lingering around the house :D

• Advertisement

Next week is September and 1. Argos will have their Christmas catalogue in store, 2. It will only be 3 months to Christmas and 3. Christmas things will start to appear in the shops.

I can't believe how close it is! Is anyone getting excited!!! :D

Next week is September and 1. Argos will have their Christmas catalogue in store, 2. It will only be 3 months to Christmas and 3. Christmas things will start to appear in the shops.

I can't believe how close it is! Is anyone getting excited!!! :D

:):):):)yes oh yes i cant wait :):):)It cant come quick enough for me :D:D:D:D: and I have been a good girl all year;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭tartlet

Soooo glad I have found this forum! Like all of you I just love Christmas.

As soon as August comes toward an end, Christmas is all I can think of, oh the excitment of it :)

Only an hour ago I was sitting in my apartment trying to figure out where I will put the Christmas Tree (moved in in March and kitchen/sitting room is small)

tartlet wrote: »

As soon as August comes toward an end, Christmas is all I can think of, oh the excitment of it :)

Only an hour ago I was sitting in my apartment trying to figure out where I will put the Christmas Tree (moved in in March and kitchen/sitting room is small)

Mother of God the military operation I will have to execute in order to have a place for my tree :( I not looking forward to that.

I do love that everytime I open the press I get a waft of the booze in the Christmas Pudding :D

tartlet wrote: »

haha, NO WAY just a couple of hours ago, myself and my girlfriend just had the exact same conversation about where to put the Christmas tree in our apartment which we moved into in March as well!

We've decided on a spot for now, obviously it could change once the tree goes up, really looking forward to decorating my own place this year! :)

haha, NO WAY just a couple of hours ago, myself and my girlfriend just had the exact same conversation about where to put the Christmas tree in our apartment which we moved into in March as well!

We've decided on a spot for now, obviously it could change once the tree goes up, really looking forward to decorating my own place this year! :)

I moved into a new house back in June and the first thing I thought about was were the Christmas tree would go!! And what furniture I would have to move in order to get maximum viewing potential :):)

• Advertisement

I'm currently looking to buy my first home - no luck yet though :-( I'm buying on my own but still would like to decorate my own place even though I'd be going home for Christmas obv!

I'm sure there are some here who does 'Operation Christmas Child', where you fill a shoe box with little gifts to send to a child in a third world country. Details for 'Operation Christmas Child' 2012 are up now :)

http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/

I use to do it but now I do it for a child I know who is a friend of a friend. The hardest part is picking something that his parents can't sell on :(

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Brown Thomas has Christmas trees!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement