Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'd forgotten about this... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'd forgotten about this... :pac:

We sure beat some quality opposition on our way to the euros.

Togepi wrote: »
    See I was like that but everyone I know just says the result including the extra points, and they don't even mention them, so that coupled with people telling me not to be so modest has made me say 530. But it's different for me 'cause I get the full 25 bonus points, some with 7 subjects might only have actually gone up 5/10/15 so they can't really say 'including the 25'. :S And I only just realised that today. :L

Yaaah: I can't really pick one yaaah but I'm just generally in a good mood and happy with how everything is going right now. And most people I've spoken to about the results did brilliantly and are delighted, so yay for them!

I realised that but it only affects people where Maths was their worst subject.
    I thought it should have been proportional to the grade anyway.
    5 for a D.
    10 for a C.
    15 for a B.
    20 for an A2.
    25 for an A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »
    I realised that but it only affects people where Maths was their worst subject.
    5 for a D.
    10 for a C.
    15 for a B.
    20 for an A2.
    25 for an A1.

Ah, true. It actually wasn't my worst subject! :pac: Ha I just realised - last year, I didn't use Maths for points, this year it gave me the most points. Lolz.

Agreed, it's silly throwing 25 marks at people, but sadly that wouldn't help increase the numbers of people doing higher Maths half as much. It would be much fairer though, and I'd have been delighted with 95 points for Maths, 105 is just taking the piss. :L

It must be annoying for people who did ordinary Maths and got brilliant points overall, when loads others would have done as well as them, if not better, just because they got 25 extra points for pretty much nothing. Even more irritating if a higher level student took their place on a course because of the boosted points, oh god. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Togepi wrote: »
    It must be annoying for people who did ordinary Maths and got brilliant points overall, when loads others would have done as well as them, if not better, just because they got 25 extra points for pretty much nothing. Even more irritating if a higher level student took their place on a course because of the boosted points, oh god. :(

I wouldn't class doing HL maths as "doing nothing" in fairness. The step down from HL to OL was immense when I did it, couldn't even scrape a D3 in the Pre, dropped to pass and got an A1. :pac:

UL had it set up the way Eathrin outlined above before this new system came in. IMO it kinda makes a joke of the CAO system to just give 25 points to HL students irrespective of grade.

Yaaah: Just ordered a copy of Black and White 2. Frickin' love that game and have been looking for a copy for ages. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I wouldn't class doing HL maths as "doing nothing" in fairness. The step down from HL to OL was immense when I did it,

A lot of people say this, and tbh it really irritates me. The difference between OL and HL is huge, but so is 40 points! That's what the reward for doing HL is, an extra 40 points. So I think to class people as getting 25 points "for doing nothing" is fairly apt.

It was just a terrible idea I think, typical of this country to come up with a rash way of getting more people to do HL, when what they should have done was look at improving peoples ability at the subject from a younger age so that more people would take up HL.

//Rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I wouldn't class doing HL maths as "doing nothing" in fairness. The step down from HL to OL was immense when I did it, couldn't even scrape a D3 in the Pre, dropped to pass and got an A1. :pac:
    But the maths has changed since then, I thought it was project maths? I don't really get what they're doing with maths now tbh, they've gutted the maths syllabus and are rewarding extra points for it? Makes no sense, I follow a few of my lecturers on twitter and they've been going nuts about it the last few days as there's going to be a load of students going into STEM courses without algebra or calculus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    A lot of people say this, and tbh it really irritates me. The difference between OL and HL is huge, but so is 40 points! That's what the reward for doing HL is, an extra 40 points. So I think to class people as getting 25 points "for doing nothing" is fairly apt.

It was just a terrible idea I think, typical of this country to come up with a rash way of getting more people to do HL, when what they should have done was look at improving peoples ability at the subject from a younger age so that more people would take up HL.

//Rant

The 25 points bonus has been a success. Records number doing HL maths and its a fair reward for the extra workload it entails compared to any other subject. Hopefully next year the numbers will increase further again. It's certainly motivation for me to keep up HL.

Also congrats to everyone! Ye all did great and I hope things work out with the CAO :)

The 25 points bonus has been a success. Records number doing HL maths and its a fair reward for the extra workload it entails compared to any other subject. Hopefully next year the numbers will increase further again. It's certainly motivation for me to keep up HL.

40 points is a fair reward for the extra workload, not 65.

Obviously the numbers were going to increase, but is that the best way to get more people to do HL? People aren't any better at Maths, more people took it up simply for extra points, the low fail level was because they manipulated the marking scheme.

It's being reviewed btw, link here.

Don't worry it'll still be in place next year for us.

40 points is a fair reward for the extra workload, not 65.

Obviously the numbers were going to increase, but is that the best way to get more people to do HL? People aren't any better at Maths, more people took it up simply for extra points, the low fail level was because they manipulated the marking scheme.

It's being reviewed btw, link here.

Don't worry it'll still be in place next year for us.

It's not really 40 points though.

It's 40 points of a difference if you get an identical grade in OL vs. HL.

But if you get a D3 in HL, a B3 in OL is the same points with VASTLY less of a workload.

I think it makes sense to give extra points for doing HL, but it shouldn't be a flat 25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

But if you get a D3 in HL, a B3 in OL is the same points with VASTLY less of a workload.

I think it makes sense to give extra points for doing HL, but it shouldn't be a flat 25.

Wouldn't really agree with that or the extra points for HL rule either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I agree. It's like they've decided they're not bothered finding a way of actually making people better at maths from an early age. Instead, they'll bribe them with an automatic 25 extra points for scraping a pass.

Some people just don't have the head for honours maths. I certainly didn't, but I had a natural aptitude for languages. Why should people get rewarded for one aptitude over another? Unfair imo, especially to people who would have absolutely no chance of even passing at honours level.

A D3 in HL is the same as a B1 in OL, but I agree with you there completely. A flat 25 points is ridiculous.

I think something like this would have been better, if they were insisting on bringing in bonus points.
    5 for a D.
    10 for a C.
    15 for a B.
    20 for an A2.
    25 for an A1.

Ideally, what they should do is give bonus points like these:
    5 for a D.
    10 for a C.
    15 for a B.
    20 for an A2.
    25 for an A1.

for say, French, German, Spanish, etc if you're going for languages, give them in subjects like maths and physics for engineering, and in the science subjects for, well, science courses, and so on.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I agree. It's like they've decided they're not bothered finding a way of actually making people better at maths from an early age. Instead, they'll bribe them with an automatic 25 extra points for scraping a pass.

The sad thing is, they've spent millions on revamping the syllabus when really it could have been left alone. The money could have been spent on remedial teachers which could have helped primary school students struggling at the subject.

Yet in 10 years time they'll be wondering why not many people are doing HL maths. What then. More bonus points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Some people just don't have the head for honours maths. I certainly didn't, but I had a natural aptitude for languages. Why should people get rewarded for one aptitude over another? Unfair imo, especially to people who would have absolutely no chance of even passing at honours level.

Yesss! It might be okay if Maths was involved in the course, but for somebody to miss out on, say, an English course because somebody else did honours maths is totally unfair. As well as that, they changed the course! Surely they should take it one step at a time, and possibly consider an additional reward if the new course doesn't help things. And the new course is, from what I hear, rubbish.

Extra work load is the best argument I can see for giving extra points, because it'll allow people to spend more time on Maths, kind of guilt free! But I mean, I personally spent way more time on English and Biology. It'll be different for everyone! And 25 extra points is a huge amount!

The idea that it's been successful is an illusion! Obviously more people are going to do the subject if you award way more points for it, and the fact that more people passed is meaningless because the exam wasn't the same, and the marking scheme is different. Students are no better at maths... Tut...

The idea that it's been successful is an illusion! Obviously more people are going to do the subject if you award way more points for it, and the fact that more people passed is meaningless because the exam wasn't the same, and the marking scheme is different. Students are no better at maths... Tut...

Yeah, apparently 98% of students who took the honours paper got the bonus points (therefore passed...) Is this not just grade inflation? It looks it to me tbh! (Those stats could be wrong, heard it from someone today.)

Lord, this thread has been completely diverted!:P Perhaps a move to The Den...?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I just hope if I do it they dont like failing people.. Imma D HL student...
    But Im not staying up for the points, no sir-y bob.
    Im staying up coz we've a lovely awks, nerdy maths teacher who I just couldnt leave <3

UL had it set up the way Eathrin outlined above before this new system came in. IMO it kinda makes a joke of the CAO system to just give 25 points to HL students irrespective of grade.

Yaaah: Just ordered a copy of Black and White 2. Frickin' love that game and have been looking for a copy for ages. :)

I knew someone would argue against that. :L I know all about the difference between the two, I did ordinary for two full years and then moved to higher when I repeated. The difference in the difficulty is ridiculous. A1 student to E/F student straight away when you move up. And it takes a lot of time and effort to get above 40%. But I think the difference between levels is fairly big in most subjects, just not as massive... I just think 25 points is an awful lot to give, even for an A it's a tiny bit much. People go up 25 now unless it's their worst subject. So they probably would've done higher level anyway, or most of them would have. Therefore they're not doing a whole lot extra, although obviously it's an extremely challenging subject at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Im so crap at maths, like i struggled with O level a lot at the end of 5th year. I just don't see how its fair to give someone 25 extra points because they simply passed honors maths, like fair play to passing it but what about other subjects? I just know when i get my results next year i'll be slightly jealous that i'm not getting an extra 25, because i just don't have a mathematic mind.

If they introduced lets say getting a1 in any subject and adding 10-15 marks on or something like that would be much more fair imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I've had Yeah 3x stuck in my head for days, fcuk Chris Brown and his woman-beating ways

Namlub wrote: »
    I've had Yeah 3x stuck in my head for days, fcuk Chris Brown and his woman-beating ways

I hate the original song, but this mix is really good IMO.

Also, f*ck Chris Brown. I still remember a girl in my year defending him when the whole story was breaking because, "He's good looking.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

doesn't help that the woman-beating bastard robbed the song anyhow

Extra points for maths isn't a bad idea for courses where a high level of maths is needed, but then I always thought relevant subjects should be worth more. The thing I never liked about the current system is that it doesn't take into account someones ability for the course, so you have people who might be very talented in one particular area losing out to people who are better all rounders.

Anyway, the leaving cert already requires students to take several subjects that they might be very weak in, rewarding extra points for one of these just makes the system even more unfair to students struggling with maths.

Lawliet wrote: »

Anyway, the leaving cert already requires students to take several subjects that they might be very weak in, rewarding extra points for one of these just makes the system even more unfair to students struggling with maths.

Definitely. Awarding points for one niche means the Leaving Cert is no longer "fair game". You'll always have students who are simply more academic than others, but this really divides the average - strong students from the very weak ones. Very unhealthy and discouraging I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Definitely. Awarding points for one niche means the Leaving Cert is no longer "fair game". You'll always have students who are simply more academic than others, but this really divides the average - strong students from the very weak ones. Very unhealthy and discouraging I think.

To suggest the leaving cert was ever fair is laughable. Too much rests on the aptitude and consistency of the teacher for it to be fair. Too much rests on the ability of the student to learn by repetition.

And what happens if your school doesn't cater for subjects that you're good at? What if your strong points are spacial reasoning based, but your school only caters towards rote learning based "knowledge" subjects like history, economics and geography? Tough shit, essentially, you should have lived in a wealthier area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

To suggest the leaving cert was ever fair is laughable. Too much rests on the aptitude and consistency of the teacher for it to be fair. Too much rests on the ability of the student to learn by repetition.

And what happens if your school doesn't cater for subjects that you're good at? What if your strong points are spacial reasoning based, but your school only caters towards rote learning based "knowledge" subjects like history, economics and geography? Tough shit, essentially, you should have lived in a wealthier area.

Yeah I get your second point, my old school had the best bands in the town come out of it around the time but the school didn't bother including music at all.

I can think of a few who were denied the right they had to do really well in that subject.

Hence why fair game was in ellipses;) The Leaving Cert is definitely full of too many tough-shit situations, especially taking into account the limited subject choices in most schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Would anyone ever go travelling by themselves? or like places where you go with other people around the same age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Would anyone ever go travelling by themselves? or like places where you go with other people around the same age?

I wouldn't call myself the most adventurous person but I'm thinking of doing a bit of travelling on my own. Bit daunting as I'm kinda taciturn but I imagine that being on your own in a different country prompts you into being more forward to people, and outgoing, getting into situations that wouldn't necessarily have happened hanging around with friends. And you're bound to bump into other travellers in hostels, tours etc. And I've only just come across the site travbuddy but it definitely seems worth a look if you want to pre-arrange something with fellow travellers.

• Advertisement

Jesus H Christ, was woken up by banging and people shouting so I looked out the window and two of the guys in the house behind mine are playing hurling against the wall, before wrestling each other at two minute intervals. I am going to kill them both then set their house on fire, retards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Jesus H Christ, was woken up by banging and people shouting so I looked out the window and two of the guys in the house behind mine are playing hurling against the wall, before wrestling each other at two minute intervals. I am going to kill them both then set their house on fire, retards.

Rofl. Nearly choked on my toast

Shur what else would you be doing at 5am?

I woke in a rather annoying way yet quite different to Namlub's all the same.
    My kitten hops in my cylindrical tin bin(empty) that's in the corner of my room, knocks it over, then proceeds to run around my room in said bin like a hamster. All happens at 6am
    Oh, the noise!

My kitten hops in my cylindrical tin bin(empty) that's in the corner of my room, knocks it over, then proceeds to run around my room in said bin like a hamster. All happens at 6am
    Oh, the noise!
    We should have an annoying-kitten-off sometime.

Oh, the noise!

You realise if you had video of that you'd be a YouTube sensation?

I wouldn't call myself the most adventurous person but I'm thinking of doing a bit of travelling on my own. Bit daunting as I'm kinda taciturn but I imagine that being on your own in a different country prompts you into being more forward to people, and outgoing, getting into situations that wouldn't necessarily have happened hanging around with friends. And you're bound to bump into other travellers in hostels, tours etc. And I've only just come across the site travbuddy but it definitely seems worth a look if you want to pre-arrange something with fellow travellers.

I found topdeck travel as well it looks quite good and it's organised and it's a group of other 18-30yr olds. I'd love to see a few countries just not sure many would want to go and I'd hate to miss out on a opportunity just because no one would go. They organise many activities, thinking of going to Australia not sure I'd go on my own to anything is though.
    Going knowing many others would be there on the trip seems fun a chance of a lifetime.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any of the UL/Limerick contingent here able to help me out?
    I need to find someone available to give 1st Year grinds in Organic Chemistry over the coming week.

Any pointers in the right direction would be ever so wonderful.

Do you ever get those days where you feel like you are loosing your friends. When they don't text back or the conversation only lasts 30 seconds :(

Started watching a movie. Something caught my attention spent past hour looking at my old home..... I want to buy it!!

I see what people now have to do just to get some attention around here. Go to bookface and type to a page that probably doesn't exist by the said company the person is supposedly typing to but they ask for likes at the end..... Hmm tis a shameful world we live in but why not join on the band wagon

Jhcx wrote: »
    Do you ever get those days where you feel like you are loosing your friends. When they don't text back or the conversation only lasts 30 seconds :(

Yeah thats so annoying or if you don't see your friends as much as you used to.
    I usually don't text people too much as I don't want to annoy them. And then if the conversation ends up being short always think they don't want to talk or I'm just annoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

On that note I hate when people get offended at not being texted back especially when their text doesn't really warrant a response. I also dislike the idea of a dedicated conversation through text within a short time span. Texting on a phone is an awkward way of holding a conversation and it costs me money.

Davidius wrote: »
    On that note I hate when people get offended at not being texted back especially when their text doesn't really warrant a response. I also dislike the idea of a dedicated conversation through text within a short time span. Texting on a phone is an awkward way of holding a conversation and it costs me money.

you do live in the now dont you. texting and calling is free? in someways course its being paid for but its much cheaper than what it once was. like 3 giving you 3000 texts. back in the day when you had to pay 20c for a text message twas something like only 3 texts sent a week. then it was brought to 1c and it was like 5 a day then it was the 20€ to any network and i clogged up my friends phone with 200 texts in an hour :pac: and now you have viber and skype and what not so no need to top up ones phone anymore. i have 40€ credit in my phone for 2months now that i have no use for. its actually gotten to the stage where im just ringing the house phone just for old times.:pac: anyway enough on the point of texting cost money. i believe that the conversation can last a little bit longer cause you dont have to reply immediately but in the case where you owe someone money and ask them is said amount enough and they wont reply to you is very odd:confused: plus you can draw out the conversation over time unlike calling where its only lasts about 10 minutes whole life story over:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

texting and calling is free?
    spending €20+ per month for something is most certainly not "free"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Any of the UL/Limerick contingent here able to help me out?
    I need to find someone available to give 1st Year grinds in Organic Chemistry over the coming week.

Any pointers in the right direction would be ever so wonderful.

I can sort it, throw me a text tomorrow?

Colm! wrote: »
    spending €20+ per month for something is most certainly not "free"

well take that 20€ you could use that 20€ on standard calls call Uk and USA and it will be gone within a matter of minutes. Invest in internet makes those same calls using the services and you still have the 20€, or you dont. depends how you look at it. but if your in college you can use the wifi, if you at home and happen to have it use it to its advantage looking for free hotspots. you never have to top up. maybe a 5er if you wanted. but look im just going on how i work it out. everyone's life is different and were not all in the same boat. There just examples like when i went to spain i took out my sim card and just used internet texting. didnt cost me. but look i have this argument with my friends who are on meteor and refuse to change and blame me for costing them when im getting everything for free in some ways.... i know i pay my 20 but its not every month. i use it till i can get no more out of it. and anyway i never owned that 20 was just in my hands i like to look at it that way.

Well yes but texting and calling is still not free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Have I completely forgotten how to use boards or can we only edit posts within a certain time limit after they were posted now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

There was always a time limit afaik

I think texting is a waste of time. :cool:
    Though that could be because no one has texted me in about six months except for O2 and Papa Johns...

Have I completely forgotten how to use boards or can we only edit posts within a certain time limit after they were posted now?

Yeah, think it's something like 48 hours limit. I'm pretty sure they brought that in around the time they limited thread sizes to <= 10000 to cut stress on the database.

• Advertisement

you do live in the now dont you. texting and calling is free? in someways course its being paid for but its much cheaper than what it once was. like 3 giving you 3000 texts.
    Some of us have to sacrifice loads of free texts for decent network coverage.

Advertisement