Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well done and enjoy.
    He was very interested in taking another EV as trade in.
    At the €52k it was a fair price for that spec of Tesla.

Also, don’t disappear into the horizon with the Tesla FB page, we also want to know how you get on here too :)

Nice one ballylad, well wear lad.

Time is ticking on my i3 PCP but not sure what to get next.

Anyway drive her hard and safe! :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Had a few cardboard boxes around so I measured out the driveway for an S. My God is that car long! Width is probably ok, but the length. Gate would just about open/close with it in the drive.

Finding a Cork based S rental (or very friendly S driver) is a prerequisite for me now. Need to see it in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't find the length an issue at all at about 5m. The park distance sensors all around are very precise and a good help. But then again I've had cars this long before. The Model S is very wide though, much more of an issue!

unkel wrote: »
    I don't find the length an issue at all at about 5m. The park distance sensors all around are very precise and a good help. But then again I've had cars this long before. The Model S is very wide though, much more of an issue!

I had a Passat cc before, at 4.8 meters, and that was fine, but from the steps outside my door to my gate is about 5.5 metres + the width of 1 of the gates (ie. Room to swing the gate open)

It's one of those situations where I know he answer (it'll be frustratingly tight every day), but until I physically see the car parked in the driveway, I'll not accept it. Wifey has also started driving the ioniq without fear (wouldn't drive the Passat cc), so chances are with an S she'd never drive it. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's one of those situations where I know he answer (it'll be frustratingly tight every day)
    Could the answer be to hang the gates so that they swing outwards?

Might have to change tactic and rely on model 3 depreciation before I can switch up. Gonna be a long wait.

We'll probably be able to hold out up to 18 months with the ioniq, but by then I don't expect second has niros be up in high availability, so they'll hold their value (27k would be acceptable to me, but unlikely). The S will still be too big. And the 3 might be sub 40k second hand, which is still massive money, but Vs a new eNiro it's an easy choice.

Not sure anything else EV is an option, but I might have to stop watching S prices and CPOs every day.

Lumen wrote: »

Main road, we'd block the path if they were open all day. And opening/closing them every time we go anywhere would be torture.

Electric gates are an option, but pricey pricey pricey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

....but I might have to stop watching S prices and CPOs every day.

No you won't ;)

Bi fold gates?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    No you won't ;)

Bi fold gates?

Would make our gate entrance narrower (the fold has to go somewhere), unless they're wafer thin.

Sliding gate isn't an option either. Nor is "no gate" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Had a few cardboard boxes around so I measured out the driveway for an S. My God is that car long! Width is probably ok, but the length. Gate would just about open/close with it in the drive.

Finding a Cork based S rental (or very friendly S driver) is a prerequisite for me now. Need to see it in the driveway.

If you don't find another option there is a Model S taxi down in Clonakilty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Specifically not allowed to do this under planning law.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

what about a sliding gate?

hqdefault.jpg
    d6a23665ca7833398e06ebf7215369af.jpg
    DSC_2924.jpg

Doesn't even have to be electric (though electric with a remote would be fairly cool)

If the mountain will not come to Muhammad...

Doesn't even have to be electric (though electric with a remote would be fairly cool)

Something like that. All early Model S have Homelink as standard so the gates will open automatically if your car approaches. Pretty cool!

Sliding would be ideal, but we have a hedge beside our gate. Gate and wall it's attached to are in a straight line. Hedge is being the wall. Then a wall the house side of the hedge bed. A gate after that would likely be as intrusive as the swinging gate is now, and give us less driveway when closed.

Here's an aerial view of my drive with my old cc in the second bay. The white paving pretty much outlines parking spaces. The sliding gate would have to be quite far back into the driveway. Closer to the house is raised.

IMG-20200515-111439.jpg

.... Perhaps it's the houses fault. Could look into getting a different one...

Just get the Tesla. You can change gates, house, wife, kids etc. later if they don't fit in with the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would make our gate entrance narrower (the fold has to go somewhere), unless they're wafer thin.

Sliding gate isn't an option either. Nor is "no gate" :D

Falcon wing gate?

Falcon wing gate?

Like something you'd see at a level crossing. I like it.

Backed the car up a bit after a spin... 5m is still huge, but not as huge as this morning. 100% certain I need to see an S parked in the driveway before I can think about committing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

... still huge, but not as huge as this morning...

That's what she said....

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass:pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

Gates easy least to electrify,do it yourself.
    Complete kit hydraulic rams attract to your existing gates about a grand all mine are bft Oro from gatesauto.ie ,the only hard bit is working out the mounting position to get your opening arc right,another thought is bi fold gates......

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Is a 2016 face-lift model s 60kwh battery a safe option to buy, is it a 75kw battery capped at 60 so shouldn't have alot of degradation?

Just curious from looking at a UK one that has 70k miles on in..

Also,cant seem to find the price, how much is it to add autpilot to a car after purchasing it used

Also,cant seem to find the price, how much is it to add autpilot to a car after purchasing it used

There is very little known about this. Even if you have all the hardware I would presume Tesla will refuse to get it done. Not even if you offered them 5 grand. If you want autopilot, either get a car that has autopilot working or implement an alternative system like open pilot

Is a 2016 face-lift model s 60kwh battery a safe option to buy, is it a 75kw battery capped at 60 so shouldn't have alot of degradation?

That the 34k one in Uxbridge?

The black one in Peterborough has less miles, upgraded sound system, and autopilot. I'm assuming it's also a 75kW battery, but I'm not entirely familiar with Tesla and their battery configs.
    Same price too pretty much. Adding AP is a few grand as far as I know.

unkel wrote: »
    There is very little known about this. Even if you have all the hardware I would presume Tesla will refuse to get it done. Not even if you offered them 5 grand. If you want autopilot, either get a car that has autopilot working or implement an alternative system like open pilot

Really? Thought Tesla were open to after sales of AP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Really? Thought Tesla were open to after sales of AP
    They absolutely are, if the car has the hardware you pay for software unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They don't published the AP upgrade price , but I have seen figures of £3k to £5k posted online.

If you want a facelift S60 you could spend £895 extra to get this lower mileage one with AP already enabled.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005069199258

jhegarty wrote: »
    They don't published the AP upgrade price , but I have seen figures of £3k to £5k posted

And only for a car that already has the radar. It's cheaper to just buy an AP car in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

I am looking at a MS 2017 90d facelift version which a friend is selling in the UK, and i am trying to find out how much vrt i am going to be hit with, is there a used car "bible" that i can look up the car and get some sort of market value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

That the 34k one in Uxbridge?

The black one in Peterborough has less miles, upgraded sound system, and autopilot. I'm assuming it's also a 75kW battery, but I'm not entirely familiar with Tesla and their battery configs.
    Same price too pretty much. Adding AP is a few grand as far as I know.

Am just looking at the moment until something really catches my eye, it's is a blue one in Heathrow cars.

Have a blue c350e hybrid at the moment so like the colour and the facelift grill

Advertisement