Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options
1848586878890»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Have you driven an E60 M5 recently? After you owned the 90D? I'd say you will be unpleasantly surprised if you did. I drove one many years ago, before I'd ever driven an EV. It was fast when picked up a bit, but the 90D would be much quicker away from the lights. And effortless. The M5 (in my case E63 M6) V10 racing engine sounded glorious and revved to 8.5k rpm. But the robotised manual transmisson was pretty brutal and would now feel very ancient

I suppose it is rose tinted glasses that we have. And not about EVs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, but I did drive two cars that I had owned previously that I thought were rocketships, an e60 535d and a z32 300zx. They both still had the charm and the engine notes etc but they had lost the rocketship feeling - and that was only vs a standard non performance model S.

I think an e60/1 has reached the stage where it's no longer expected to be the fastest out there but it's about the theatre. That v10 in a regular family car (as regular as a bmw m car can be anyway) is simply phenomenal and will never happen again. That, the phaeton w12, and the Q7 v12 TDI are on my bucket list of one off engine car combination wants.

The e60 is like the w210 v6 I bought last month. It's not the best at anything anymore but the theatre of driving it reminds me of a better era.

If they did finance on the new S and X here I'd already be in one. It was a flat no, even with 30-40% down on my side. The S, no matter what variant, is the daddy of them all really in the EV world and it's very difficult to make a case against one. Even now. Why would you spend 40k on an ID or a model 3 when you could have a 3-4 year old model S raven for the same money?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same old, same old. Back pretty much exactly 20 years ago, everybody told me I was crazy buying a 7 year old BMW 735i V8 while for the same money I could have got a 3 year old Toyota Corolla 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Sorry, not sure how I missed your question.

Yes, I purchased. Delighted so far. Lovely to drive and loads of power if needed. I was never a fan of purchasing a new car so happy get something slightly older that has done the majority of its devaluing (hopefully)

Advertisement