Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Those who bought the 3 will always feel they made the right decision over the S, likewise the same can be said for those who bought an S.

If both cars were the same price however most would be driving the Model S.

Both cars have benefits but the S for size, comfort on long runs & premium feel made the decision for me.

Personally I don't like crossovers so the Y is not for me, I love the BMW 6 series but cant stand the 6 GT, the roof just seems too high when inside the car.

Read a recent article where R Symons was interviewed and asked which he preferred 3 or S, he chooses a S.

sk8board wrote: »
    the model S is now 8 year old and the exterior is starting to age,

I agree 100%.
    The style has aged very quickly and its not getting better looking !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

But the style is a child of aerodynamics so is what it is, very little to change to make it look better, aerodynamics do not change, sure the M3 is basically a mini MS and the MY is basically a mini MX, same shapes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Jazuz, after getting two Tesla sales call backs on CPOs, they must be bored

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    Jazuz, after getting two Tesla sales call backs on CPOs, they must be bored

Do they haggle at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I dont get the reasoning here, the S and 3 are very different cars both with pros and cons. The S is due a big refresh and I think thats what put a lot of people off, like buying any car new end of life cycle. People tend towards confirmation bias alright. For me I hate big barges of cars. Had 2 6 series and didnt get on with either, neither lasted 6 months. I just dont like that feeling, so Tesla was not an option for me until the m3p..There is no one car to do everything.

Do they haggle at all?

Nope, price is the price

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Until they drop it. They've taken near 10k off a MX I've been watching and dreaming over (the MX P100D 2017 in inventory)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

...The S is due a big refresh and I think thats what put a lot of people off...For me I hate big barges of cars

That's how I feel.

The S wouldn't be my first choice, but if the 3 hadn't existed I might have bought one used.

As it is, the current S doesn't feel like the best that Tesla can do. The Raven is fantastic, but there's still a feeling that Tesla is preoccupied with other ventures and not giving the S the full attention.

But I also recognise that when potential customers quibble over small details like this they're probably just tyre kickers, truth is I've never liked big saloons and so I'm not really the target for the S (or the Cybertruck).

The acid test is: would you buy it if it was much slower and had only 300km of range? If the answer is "no" then you're not really a natural S owner.

When I initially started looking at used S a few years ago they were more expensive and it was looking like I'd end up with an S60.
    That is much slower and has only 300km range on a good day, a very good day! And if the prices hadnt dipped I'd have been happy with that!

But everything and anything pales in comparison to the daddy of them all, the cybertruck. It's going to blitz the fast truck market.
    Do you know what the fastest ever production pickup was? It's the Ram SRT10 from the mid 2000's. Rated at 9mpg city/ 15mpg highway, with an 8.3 v10 from a viper. That did 0-60 in 4.8 seconds with 500bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I like big powerful petrol cars, have had a load of them over the last few decades, my favourite being a BMW 7 series V8 petrol. Until they didn't exist any more and then I switched to electric cars. I would have been happy with a base S60 but I am delighted I ended up with a very well specced P85

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

slave1 wrote: »
    But the style is a child of aerodynamics so is what it is, very little to change to make it look better, aerodynamics do not change,

That's not really the case though - the very square/boxy 5 series saloon has a significantly lower cd than the Model S. It's even lower than the smaller Model 3, while looking very, very different.
    The S is a good looking car - the Model 3 & especially Model Y, not so much :o.

BMW 5 series drag

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Kramer wrote: »
    That's not really the case though - the very square/boxy 5 series saloon has a significantly lower cd than the Model S. It's even lower than the smaller Model 3, while looking very, very different.
    The S is a good looking car - the Model 3 & especially Model Y, not so much :o.

I'd say you're in the significant minority on this forum anyway, with that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

JPA wrote: »
    I'd say you're in the significant minority on this forum anyway, with that opinion.

I guess that's a cross I'll just have to bear :D.

My point is, given that the very square & boxy looking BMW 5 series has better aerodynamics, it can't be said Tesla were hugely constrained, in styling terms, by chasing the lowest possible cd.

qQogR7M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

JPA wrote: »

I would be with Kramer on this one, both the 3 and Y have fronts that look like they crashed into a wall at low speed. Won't stop the Model Y being my next car though!

Most Model 3 owners I know don't even think it's a good looking car. Like most owners, I would have bought one despite its looks, as there is nothing else like it. Great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kramer wrote: »
    I'm not sure I believe that.

While reading those search results I came across this gem from Joe Duffy.
    Thanks to a 10% reduction in the car’s drag coefficient, the G30 5 Series is easier to steer compared to the previous model.

The auto industry is so awash with bull****. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

unkel wrote: »
    Most Model 3 owners I know don't even think it's a good looking car.

I would have been in this category before collecting mine, but I have to say it's grown a lot on me in the 6 weeks we've owned it... (even when covered in bird sh1t)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Most Model 3 owners I know don't even think it's a good looking car. Like most owners, I would have bought one despite its looks, as there is nothing else like it. Great car.

I'm an owner, I think it looks very well from the front, sporty, boring from the side, and ok from the back. Doesn't look bad from any angle. Overall, it's a good looking car. Model Y less good looking, and X even less. S is good looking.

Would be surprised if most M3 owners think it's not good looking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I would be with Kramer on this one, both the 3 and Y have fronts that look like they crashed into a wall at low speed. Won't stop the Model Y being my next car though!

All Teslas look like that, a lot of similarities across their range. They are very Two Faced. By Seinfeld definition.

• Advertisement

Yep, looks like a Mazda 3. Its not a bad looking car, and its is "cool"...but not styled to match the performance or spaceship driving experiance. The S has a longer profile, and does look sleeker, but from some angles you cannot tell a S from a 3 from a X...its like they put them in a photocopier and hit resize.

Yep, looks like a Mazda 3.

And the S looks like the newer model Mazda 6. You might not be aware but this is no coincidence, Franz von Holzhausen (who designed all Teslas) was the director of design at Mazda before joining Tesla :)

Everyday is a school day, I didnt know that.

This I did not know, makes a lot of sense. Lets hope that legendary mazda reliability (except you RX8 you can feck off) made its way in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Ah the RX8 was reliable. Well... as long as you rebuilt the engine every 10k/kms :D

Just like the RX7..

sk8board wrote: »
    the sales of S and X are now dropping off a cliff

Q1 2020 figures are out. Both S and X are up nearly 10% compared to last year. While worldwide the sale of almost all cars have dropped off a cliff...

And it looks like the Model S Raven is getting a >400 mile (650km) EPA rating, which is pretty awesome.

Sweet Mama, that's serious range, at some cost though.

• Advertisement

That's insane.
    Wonder if we'll get it here or is it for NA models only (I think they named it the LR + )

Advertisement