Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I can't believe any team or GM would be that stupid to let that happen. Presumably they've something in the workings behind the scenes. I've read it a few places now, for every analyst and fan to spot the problem, and the Rams to have missed it? Doesn't seem likely.

Same issue was raised with the trade for Tunsil and didn't agree a deal in advance and the Texans didn't get the same benefit of the doubt (possibly understandable given their FO chaos).

Trusting either a team or player to live up to a verbal agreement is an incredibly stupid move. It is easy for Ramsey to say now that he'll accept a certain amount now but things might change after a few games and he sees an extra nearly 20% come out of his pay due to California taxes compared to when he was with the Jags. Presumably they'd hope that future increased endorsements would negate it but its a different thing when you look at your pay cheque and see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As said in the article, with on-side kicks so hard to execute these days with the new rules, it's a wonder why more teams don't just drill the ball at an opponent and hope for the best.

https://deadspin.com/ohio-recovers-onside-kick-booted-off-opposing-receivers-1839193091

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As said in the article, with on-side kicks so hard to execute these days with the new rules, it's a wonder why more teams don't just drill the ball at an opponent and hope for the best.

Haven't read article but I often wondered why they don't sky the ball to land 15 yards away. Receiving team could aim to call fair catch but crowding the area around them may put them off their game and have them fumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Haven't read article but I often wondered why they don't sky the ball to land 15 yards away. Receiving team could aim to call fair catch but crowding the area around them may put them off their game and have them fumble.

Wasn't the Ravens who tried a Rugby style restart to try and do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I see Brock Osweiler has retired - taking his $41.3million in career earnings with him.

As a fellow broncos fan; never forget him somehow getting us through peytons issues. Hope he enjoys every penny and his ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

As a fellow broncos fan; never forget him somehow getting us through peytons issues. Hope he enjoys every penny and his ring.

Broncos wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without him.

Rumours that the Broncos are going the trade Sanders - to the Patriots. Broncos apparently looking for a 3rd rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can't see them getting that, certainly not from Bill.

Somewhere between a 4th and a 5th seems more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd be surprised to see the Patriots go after a WR. N'Keal Harry should be back in week 9 to add to a decent depth chart. I'd never rule anything out with Bill but TE seems the position on offense that we are struggling a bit with. Sanders would be a nice addition though, type of player who would flourish in the Patriots offense.

Rumours that the Broncos are going the trade Sanders - to the Patriots. Broncos apparently looking for a 3rd rounder.

Wouldn't be overly surprised if the 49ers were in for him. Shanahan has said in the past how highly he rates him and none of the WRs have stood out this season, though that could be partially due to how games have fallen and trying to hide the OL injuries.

With already being down their 2nd round pick for Ford I doubt they'd give a 3rd for him. They also have 2 WRs to come back off IR.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Wouldn't be overly surprised if the 49ers were in for him. Shanahan has said in the past how highly he rates him and none of the WRs have stood out this season, though that could be partially due to how games have fallen and trying to hide the OL injuries.

With already being down their 2nd round pick for Ford I doubt they'd give a 3rd for him. They also have 2 WRs to come back off IR.
    49ers, Packers and Saints have all made inquiries - apparently - but Pats appear to be the front runners at the moment.

Harris and Wolfe also on the trade block - and suggestions that Miller could be moved at the end of the season. Expect to see Lock starting by week 11 - they need to see if he is any good.

Broncos - finally - in full rebuild.

49ers, Packers and Saints have all made inquiries - apparently - but Pats appear to be the front runners at the moment.

Harris and Wolfe also on the trade block - and suggestions that Miller could be moved at the end of the season. Expect to see Lock starting by week 11 - they need to see if he is any good.

Broncos - finally - in full rebuild.

I know we've gone back and forth on Elway before but trusting him on a full rebuild is a terrible idea. If you're trading away your senior players for picks you want the right person in as GM for the long haul. It is too late to pull the plug after all those picks are wasted.

Expect to see Lock starting by week 11 - they need to see if he is any good.
    No point putting him in with that offensive line. Way to ruin any chance of him working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Packers would be an interesting landing spot for him if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another trade: Falcons are sending WR Mohamed Sanu to the New England Patriots in exchange for a second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

That’s a very good pick up. Quite a productive receiver with good hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The Patriots do indeed trade for a WR.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1186599521796677632

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

2nd round pick seems very expensive, even if it's around the 60 - 64 spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

2nd round pick seems very expensive, even if it's around the 60 - 64 spot

At 7-0 and possibly Brady's last season (yeah yeah, I know, every season is) they're probably just going full on WIN NOW mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Good article on the importance of managing your cap space, and not overpaying every veteran player who's half decent.
    ......the Falcons top 5 cap hits will consume 50.6% of the cap.....
    .....the Falcons top 10 cap hits consume a shocking 73.6% of the cap......
    If the salary cap is $200 million, the Falcons have $51 million, or just 25.5% of the cap, to spend on the 43 other roster spots. That’s just $1.19 million or 0.59% of the cap per player to invest.

The team currently has just 40 players under contract AND they’re already projected to be over by $18.3 million when factoring in draft picks!

https://overthecap.com/the-atlanta-falcons-bleak-outlook-in-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

VillaMad wrote: »

Wow, that's nuts.

I take back what I said about Pats not being willing to trade a 3rd for Sanders. A 2nd for Sanu?

Jaysus, that's a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Knex. wrote: »
    Wow, that's nuts.

I take back what I said about Pats not being willing to trade a 3rd for Sanders. A 2nd for Sanu?

Jaysus, that's a lot.

I like Sanu but it's a hefty price, their WR crew aren't bad already...

Calling at least 1 trick play for Sanu to throw the ball downfield before the end of the season.

GM Bill really does make some strange roster moves but Coach Bill nearly always bails him out.

We are clearly going for the perfect season if we are giving up a second rounder like that. Belichick would not give up a second rounder very easily. If it's not about going for the perfect season then I've a feeling Gordon might be out for a while with this pickup.
    Like I'm looking at the Patriots situation as regards receivers and it's quite good without adding Sanu. We have Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Meyers who has looked really good and N'Keal Harry in a couple of weeks, then you've got James White and Burkhead and Bolden has been excellent of late too as a receiver. Ben Watson looked good last night too.
    Only reason I can see for this is an attempt for the perfect season. We have enough depth already to challenge for the Superbowl imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are clearly going for the perfect season if we are giving up a second rounder like that. Belichick would not give up a second rounder very easily. If it's not about going for the perfect season then I've a feeling Gordon might be out for a while with this pickup.
    Like I'm looking at the Patriots situation as regards receivers and it's quite good without adding Sanu. We have Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Meyers who has looked really good and N'Keal Harry in a couple of weeks, then you've got James White and Burkhead and Bolden has been excellent of late too as a receiver. Ben Watson looked good last night too.
    Only reason I can see for this is an attempt for the perfect season. We have enough depth already to challenge for the Superbowl imo.

I would say it's about making WR from being a good WR corps to being a strong point of the team. Also means each WR should be able to play to their strengths a bit more.

Meyers and Watson looked strong last night, but that may have been because they were playing against the worst CB crew in the league :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    May as well make sure of the Superbowl is the thinking I think. A perfect season will always be secondary to that (though your schedule lends itself to one).

Brady will only get so many shots at it (I know, people call for his demise every year but they will eventually be right). Sanu will help a lot more over the next two seasons than a second round pick.

Sanu is an excellent receiver to have. Overshadowed by two great ones in Atlanta admittedly. Myers and Dorsett are fine, they allow Brady to be great. Remember Brady was shut down in Buffalo. Maybe a bad day at the office but Sanu should help even on those days and I don't think Belicheck wants to risk that happening vs a team like the Ravens in the postseason.

Also allows them to take some knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Sanu is a fine player who has been overshadowed by Jones. That’s a good signing for the Pats. It’s a little bit expensive on the face of it but if he pushes them over the top for another SB then the price doesn’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Sanu for a second. On the face of it, that's a crazy price for a 30yo WR who is only under contract for a year and a half. But I can completely see why the Patriots are doing it as they are in a tight SB window at the moment and now's the time to harvest Super Bowls so that their record will never be beaten. They are fairly thin at WR and Sanu is rock solid in the sense that he rarely misses a game and he has always had okay production even when he has been behind Green and Jones.

So I get it for the Patriots. But for the Falcons, it is a great deal. They're going nowhere fast. It clears some of their cap hell next year and they're looking into a rebuild next year and this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

It might not be intended (though you never know with Bill) but it also messes up the market a bit for rivals looking to strengthen at WR. If they're getting a 2nd for Sanu I presume it will raise the Broncos expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

BaronVon wrote: »
    Good article on the importance of managing your cap space, and not overpaying every veteran player who's half decent.

https://overthecap.com/the-atlanta-falcons-bleak-outlook-in-2020/

Jesus that’s mental. And all their big earners are locked in with huge cap implications if they are cut / traded.

I thought the Steelers were bad with nearly $50m ties up in players that are either gone or on IR but at least there is an end in sight to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Broncos send Emmanuel Sanders and 2020 5th.
    49ers send 2020 3rd and 4th.

The 49ers should be delighted with that deal. The 4th and 5th picks will be close on the board so it's really a 3rd and change.

Advertisement