Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jay-Z not doing much to enhance his reputation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Vontaze burfict has been suspended for the rest of the 2019 season. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Vontaze burfict has been suspended for the rest of the 2019 season. Good.

Delighted for him

From ESPN, "The 29-year-old Burfict received 13 suspensions and fines in seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals". I wonder how much he's paid in fines over his career?

I presume he'll appeal and try and get it reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,569 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I never thought I'd say this but I kinda feel sorry for Burflict. It's clear he was trying hard to change his ways. He was the guy who stopped Brown from hitting Mayock by all accounts. I seen him during the Raiders first game I think it was pulling players out of a fight instead of getting involved himself. It's just in him and he hasn't got full control of it yet, hopefully the suspension time helps him to deal with his issues and come back in a better place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

From ESPN, "The 29-year-old Burfict received 13 suspensions and fines in seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals". I wonder how much he's paid in fines over his career?

I presume he'll appeal and try and get it reduced?
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/vontaze-burfict-10100/fines/
    Supposedly 5.3 million between fines and forfeited pay

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Banned just before he maims a Chicago Bear. Whew.

I imagine he's played his last down in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I was in Gillette Stadium in Foxboro at an event recently. When walking the concourse between the 2 sides of the stadium, you can can see on to the practice pitches. The squad were training and running offense drills. There were 5 security guards on the concourse preventing people stopping and watching or from taking any sort of camera or video footage.
    Thought it was particularly interesting given Belichik history.

Maybe not a conversation for this thread but the recent news that the governor of California has signed a bill permitting college athletes to receive endorsement deals has the potential to really rock college sports including NFL.

The NCAA are against the bill and it remains to be seen how it will play out but it has the potential to make highschool/college football even more of a dog eat dog world in an effort to capture the best players and deals. (I'm not saying that the shouldn't be paid given the money they generate and how they are spat out if unsuccessful but it will be very interesting to see it play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Maybe not a conversation for this thread but the recent news that the governor of California has signed a bill permitting college athletes to receive endorsement deals has the potential to really rock college sports including NFL.

The NCAA are against the bill and it remains to be seen how it will play out but it has the potential to make highschool/college football even more of a dog eat dog world in an effort to capture the best players and deals. (I'm not saying that the shouldn't be paid given the money they generate and how they are spat out if unsuccessful but it will be very interesting to see it play out.

I never understood how they couldn't have the right to make their own endorsement deals. It's crazy. I mean, nobody wants to hear from Realt Dearg Sec on the benefits of Gatorade, but if they did I would be perfectly free to do a deal with them to sell their delicious, thirst-quenching, energy replenishing drink. It's a contract between me and them. It's like the NCAA own the players themselves or something, if they can claim any kind of right to prevent the player from doing work (an ad or whatever) in exchange for pay.

That's before you get into the very obvious fact that the NCAA and the universities are rinsing these players dry for as much money as they can get, often making vast amounts of money from the image rights of players who are entitled to nothing on that front. I get the argument for not directly paying players to play, it has its own logic, but preventing them endorsing products? There's no real justification for that, it seems to be none of their business.But it definitely serves the NCAA very nicely, of course.

• Advertisement

I never understood how they couldn't have the right to make their own endorsement deals. It's crazy. I mean, nobody wants to hear from Realt Dearg Sec on the benefits of Gatorade, but if they did I would be perfectly free to do a deal with them to sell their delicious, thirst-quenching, energy replenishing drink. It's a contract between me and them. It's like the NCAA own the players themselves or something, if they can claim any kind of right to prevent the player from doing work (an ad or whatever) in exchange for pay.

That's before you get into the very obvious fact that the NCAA and the universities are rinsing these players dry for as much money as they can get, often making vast amounts of money from the image rights of players who are entitled to nothing on that front. I get the argument for not directly paying players to play, it has its own logic, but preventing them endorsing products? There's no real justification for that, it seems to be none of their business.But it definitely serves the NCAA very nicely, of course.

That's the crux of it.

If the NCAA proceed with their line of banning colleges who allow players to receive endorsements to be paid then it could lead to an exodus of players seeking the necessary shop window of real competition. If the NCAA allow it, it will either mean the Californian Colleges will become the preferred go to places for all players which will lead to similar laws coming in to other states to redress the balance.

I suspect the NCAA will try to implement a national policy which will appear to give players rights to earn endorsements but will still mean that the colleges and NCAA administer the payments or ultimately keep most of the money.

Going to be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

NCAA and colleges going against this are some of the worst folk out there. Everyone gets fat from the trough aside from the players who are putting their bodies on the line. They can't justify pointing to the value of scholarships and then churn out kids that are pushed into joke classes and can't read.

Highschool football is generally pretty dirty as it is for paying player's families and as far as I know the bill is directed towards college athletes, which the NCAA covers.

Regarding the bold piece, if anything I would expect it to level the playing field somewhat and be good for the game. Players who might be just 'a guy' at Alabama could choose to go to another school and be a star and receive associated endorsements they would from their area.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    NCAA and colleges going against this are some of the worst folk out there. Everyone gets fat from the trough aside from the players who are putting their bodies on the line. They can't justify pointing to the value of scholarships and then churn out kids that are pushed into joke classes and can't read.

Highschool football is generally pretty dirty as it is for paying player's families and as far as I know the bill is directed towards college athletes, which the NCAA covers.

Regarding the bold piece, if anything I would expect it to level the playing field somewhat and be good for the game. Players who might be just 'a guy' at Alabama could choose to go to another school and be a star and receive associated endorsements they would from their area.

Yeah, I can see the benefits in simple terms because obviously the students are the ones putting their bodies on the line but I am watching Last chance U Season 4 at the moment and have been shocked to the extent that kids are used and abused. Putting the carrot of payment while in college in front of them could lead to more pressure, more of a battle, more collateral damage and less concern for those who fall by the way side. And not just for football players either of course.

Darnold being kept out again this weekend. Glad they're making that choice if there's any doubt, no need to risk death for a game your team is likely to lose either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Darnold being kept out again this weekend. Glad they're making that choice if there's any doubt, no need to risk death for a game your team is likely to lose either way.

Absolutely, I'd rather him miss another game or two than get one hit and be out indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Jay Gruden has been fired.

His post game yesterday sounded like he knew it was coming.

Jay Gruden has been fired.

His post game yesterday sounded like he knew it was coming.

He’s been a dead man walking since before the season. It was always playoffs or get sacked and playoffs were never going to happen.

Probably a decent coordinator but an awful head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I think Gruden was asking to be fired more than expecting it!

Masked Man wrote: »
    I think Gruden was asking to be fired more than expecting it!

Not surprising. Everything about the team is toxic right now. Hard to see them turning anything around without an ownership change.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Eifert apparently on the block with a Day 3 pick price.
    Any contender should consider it. He's on no money for this year and the upside is Top 5 TE in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Any contender should consider it. He's on no money for this year and the upside is Top 5 TE in the league.

Is he though. I remember snapping him and ertz the same year but eiffert has been a sick note for so long now I'd not consider him top 5, I do agree he had all the potential to be though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Always kept and eye out for Eifert, very good player on his day. Caught a TD at the Aviva Stadium once upon a time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Always kept and eye out for Eifert, very good player on his day. Caught a TD at the Aviva Stadium once upon a time

Oh don't get me wrong I like him I just think his injuries hampered his development. He had the same ceiling as ertz but could never stay healthy enough to reach it imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Eifert apparently on the block with a Day 3 pick price. Any contender should consider it. He's on no money for this year and the upside is Top 5 TE in the league.

Might fancy joining his brother in law Zach Martin in Big D. Could see him being outstanding in a bit part role for the cowboys

I don't mind a cocky persona but Baker sure goes out of his way to annoy people.

Refused to shake hands with the 49ers before the game started despite having never played them before, no rivalry between the teams, or any between him with the captains.

I could understand him feeling that way after the game and the Bosa stuff but before is just being an ass unnecessarily.

I don't mind a cocky persona but Baker sure goes out of his way to annoy people.

Refused to shake hands with the 49ers before the game started despite having never played them before, no rivalry between the teams, or any between him with the captains.

I could understand him feeling that way after the game and the Bosa stuff but before is just being an ass unnecessarily.

So now video has come that that Baker shook hands before the coin toss and ran off straight afterward when players normally shake again, which apparently somehow annoyed a few players.

Seems pretty stupid to take as a slight but whatever it was seemed to have worked for the team, hopefully Goff does similar at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So now video has come that that Baker shook hands before the coin toss and ran off straight afterward when players normally shake again, which apparently somehow annoyed a few players.

Seems pretty stupid to take as a slight but whatever it was seemed to have worked for the team, hopefully Goff does similar at the weekend.

Not sure where I'd rank this on the Stupid NFL stories 2019 list really
    - player throws a hissy fit because he's not allowed wear a 10 year old helmet
    - player wears an expensive watch during a game
    - player complains another player won't shake his hand

Looking forward to what the rest of the season brings

Fair, I'm just glad the 49ers took the perceived slight out on him on the field rather doing a Baker and grabbing themselves on the sidelines in protest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would add making a point of not shaking hands. Not sure I would be offended by the lack of shaking hands but he went out of his way to do it which is pretty petty as well.

The Nick Boss flag celebration was because he was on the team Mayfield beat when he planted the flag at half time. Baker had to see a celebration around that coming at some point in his career.

I feel like Baker has gotten into his own head with this Prime time Baker stuff. He is trying to force every too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm confused. Sherman is giving out that Mayfield didn't shake hands, but there's literally a video of Mayfield shaking Sherman's hand. Then Sherman clarifies that he was annoyed Mayfield didn't shake his hand a second time, and that his first handshake was "petty"....

Mayfield's an asshole, but he's certainly not the biggest one in this exchange.

Advertisement