Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I quite like Sherman in general but it's funny the way he's always in these confrontations but it's never, ever his own fault. It's obviously a thing he does to self motivate, conjure up slights from thin air

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

The browns apparently listening to trade offers for OBJ!

I was at the ravens browns game. He was sensational to watch warming up, making catches that seemed totally impossible.

In the game however it was a different story. Marlon Humphrey had him completely covered and OBJ very evidently could not handle it. A lot of off the ball stuff going on and OBJ the instigator in all of it, along with a thoroughly unimpressive game.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. Don't know what the packers cap situation etc. is but they definitely need a wide receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The browns apparently listening to trade offers for OBJ!

I was at the ravens browns game. He was sensational to watch warming up, making catches that seemed totally impossible.

In the game however it was a different story. Marlon Humphrey had him completely covered and OBJ very evidently could not handle it. A lot of off the ball stuff going on and OBJ the instigator in all of it, along with a thoroughly unimpressive game.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. Don't know what the packers cap situation etc. is but they definitely need a wide receiver.

Packers wideouts did alright against Dallas the other night even without Adams.

If those rumours are true then I think he would be the last person Rodgers would want in the changing room

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think OBJ has come back from that ankle break the same. His best game was 2016 vs the Ravens. That's a long time ago in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think OBJ has come back from that ankle break the same. His best game was 2016 vs the Ravens. That's a long time ago in the NFL.

As a cynical and loyal Giants fan, I have to say that I cannot look at OBJ's current situation with anything except a smile on my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

If he is on the trading block surely the Patriots is the natural landing spot

The various reports regarding the offers existing from the Chiefs, Rams and Ravens to Jacksonville for Jalen Ramsey are certainly interesting. Would love to see the Chiefs acquire him to compete with the Patriots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

boccy23 wrote: »
    As a cynical and loyal Giants fan, I have to say that I cannot look at OBJ's current situation with anything except a smile on my face.

I wouldn't be smiling too much, the Giants would be in a much better position now if they Jones, OBJ, and Barkley together. Jones is out there making plays down the field that Eli wasn't for the last couple of seasons.

He could have dealt with the situation better but he didn't pull an AB and try to force his way to a trade, your GM chose to trade him away, apparently without even properly shopping him around and getting the best deal.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I wouldn't be smiling too much, the Giants would be in a much better position now if they Jones, OBJ, and Barkley together. Jones is out there making plays down the field that Eli wasn't for the last couple of seasons.

He could have dealt with the situation better but he didn't pull an AB and try to force his way to a trade, your GM chose to trade him away, apparently without even properly shopping him around and getting the best deal.

Who says he didn't force his way out? We don't know what went on between OBJ and Gettleman. He was also the "positive locker room influence" who threw Eli under the bus, p'eed like a dog and was a general malcontent. When your rookie RB comes in and has to be the mature guy in the relationship to OBJ, I am firmly of the belief that we don't know half of what went on inside that building.

Would I rather he stayed - obviously. Do I think it was beneficial for the Giants as an organisation - No. But OBJ was an over the top character. This is still being proved today with statements like the "giants wanted to ruin my career" and spending more time since he left New York speaking about New York than the Browns.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Who says he didn't force his way out? We don't know what went on between OBJ and Gettleman. He was also the "positive locker room influence" who threw Eli under the bus, p'eed like a dog and was a general malcontent. When your rookie RB comes in and has to be the mature guy in the relationship to OBJ, I am firmly of the belief that we don't know half of what went on inside that building.

Would I rather he stayed - obviously. Do I think it was beneficial for the Giants as an organisation - No. But OBJ was an over the top character. This is still being proved today with statements like the "giants wanted to ruin my career" and spending more time since he left New York speaking about New York than the Browns.

Every single report. I'm in NY a lot and haven't seen one report of OBJ forcing his way out, including those directly from the Giants and OBJ. He didn't put in a request, talk about seeking one in the media, and for all accounts he was completely blindsided by the trade. I'm happy to reconsider my opinion if you can provide one credible source.

You say he threw Eli under the bus, I say he was the only person in the organization being somewhat honest about how poor Eli was and he wasn't even close to as harsh as he could have been in his assessment. Giants would have been in a much better position now if they dumped Eli 2 or 3 years ago rather than continually making excuses for his performance by blaming every other part of the team other than Eli. OBJ was proved right with Eli getting benched 2 games into this season, which makes the decision to trade him even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Eli didn't have an offensive line for the last few years. OBJ put up huge numbers because he could get free quickly a lot and Eli would find him before the pass rush got to him.
    Daniel Jones didn't get sacked against the Redskins but got sacked 9 times between his other two starts. He is a young, healthy QB right now but let's see how he looks after a few more games and a bunch more sacks.
    OBJ had no right to be throwing the guy who sent him for over 1300 yards each of his first three seasons and over 1000 yards in 12 games last season under the bus.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Eli didn't have an offensive line for the last few years. OBJ put up huge numbers because he could get free quickly a lot and Eli would find him before the pass rush got to him.
    Daniel Jones didn't get sacked against the Redskins but got sacked 9 times between his other two starts. He is a young, healthy QB right now but let's see how he looks after a few more games and a bunch more sacks.
    OBJ had no right to be throwing the guy who sent him for over 1300 yards each of his first three seasons and over 1000 yards in 12 games last season under the bus.

Seeing as it has been repeated again, can you please quote where OBJ 'threw Eli under the bus'?

His factual statements put in a composed and pretty mild way have taken a life of their own in peoples heads at this stage. The way people speak about them you'd swear he called Eli thrash and that it was solely his fault they were losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"Giants' Odell Beckham throws Eli Manning under the bus, indicates he might not be happy in New York"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-odell-beckham-throws-eli-manning-under-the-bus-indicates-he-might-not-be-happy-in-new-york/

He was less than complimentary a few times.

Knex. wrote: »
    "Giants' Odell Beckham throws Eli Manning under the bus, indicates he might not be happy in New York"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-odell-beckham-throws-eli-manning-under-the-bus-indicates-he-might-not-be-happy-in-new-york/

He was less than complimentary a few times.

Did you read his actual words he said rather than the headline and the 'hot takes' guys?

He didn't roll out the ridiculous company line that Eli could play at starting NFL level for another 3 more years but none of what he said throws Eli under the bus. He makes factual statements about the Giants play and scheme and put it in a much milder way than if he was blunt or completely honest about it.

If you think that is throwing him under the bus then every player/coach that says anything that isn't 100% glowing about someone is now throwing them under the bus.
    "I don't know," Beckham said when he was asked if there was an issue at quarterback. "Like I said, I feel like he's not going to get out the pocket. He's not -- we know Eli's not running it. But is it a matter of time issue? Can he still throw it, yeah, but it's been pretty safe and it's been, you know ... cool catching shallow [routes] and trying to take it to the house. But I'm, you know, I want to go over the top of somebody."

"I feel like in the past five years, they found a way to run a Cover 2, keep everything in front, and that's how they played me," Beckham said. "And there's no way to -- how do we beat this? I feel like I'm being outschemed, and then I also don't have a chance to, like, do something where I've got to take a slant and go 60. And not to say that's not fun, but it's like I want some easy touchdowns too. I watch everybody across the league. All the top receivers get the ball the way that they, you know, should. And if they don't, they say something about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Did you read his actual words he said rather than the headline and the 'hot takes' guys?

He didn't roll out the ridiculous company line that Eli could play at starting NFL level for another 3 more years but none of what he said throws Eli under the bus. He makes factual statements about the Giants play and scheme and put it in a much milder way than if he was blunt or completely honest about it.

If you think that is throwing him under the bus then every player/coach that says anything that isn't 100% glowing about someone is now throwing them under the bus.

Subjective opinions are always going to come in to it, but even the words you quoted implied Beckham felt Eli was keeping it safe and not making the throws Beckham wanted.

In a sport where everything comes down to the QB, it's not surprising that that would be interpreted as him not having confidence in his QB and he probably knew that when he said what he said.

Subjective opinions are always going to come in to it, but even the words you quoted implied Beckham felt Eli was keeping it safe and not making the throws Beckham wanted.

In a sport where everything comes down to the QB, it's not surprising that that would be interpreted as him not having confidence in his QB and he probably knew that when he said what he said.

That's fair but I can easily find dozens of high profile QBs, coaches, players who make similar respectful factual statements to the media about players or position groups and it isn't seen as 'throwing them under the bus'. When most veterans say these type of things, they are deemed to be 'holding teammates accountable', 'making fair comments', or it is 'constructive criticism'.

Everytime OBJ is mentioned it is clear that an element of folk just really dislike him and jump on anything he does or says and blows it out of proportion. In this case it was made worse by the media and elements of Giants fans who pushed back on any questioning of Eli right until Jones got the start, always finding a way to make it someone else's fault.

I was just looking up stuff from the past and came across the fact that Larry Fitzgerald has only one all-pro selection which is disgraceful imo. This man for me was the best wide receiver in the league from 2004 up until maybe 2011 when Megatron went to a different level. He was definitely in the argument as a top two receiver through those years.

When you consider that Andre Johnson, a great receiver in his own right, has two, AB has five I think, Terrell Owens has five, Chad Johnson has three, Wes Welker has two and I could go on but it's just insane that Fitzgerald has only one considering all the great seasons he has had.

Larry Fitz is only looking up at one man in yardage, catches and greatness imo and he is looking up at a whole pile as far as all-pro awards are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I was just looking up stuff from the past and came across the fact that Larry Fitzgerald has only one all-pro selection which is disgraceful imo. This man for me was the best wide receiver in the league from 2004 up until maybe 2011 when Megatron went to a different level. He was definitely in the argument as a top two receiver through those years.

When you consider that Andre Johnson, a great receiver in his own right, has two, AB has five I think, Terrell Owens has five, Chad Johnson has three, Wes Welker has two and I could go on but it's just insane that Fitzgerald has only one considering all the great seasons he has had.

Larry Fitz is only looking up at one man in yardage, catches and greatness imo and he is looking up at a whole pile as far as all-pro awards are concerned.

Probably has the best hands in football too

Probably has the best hands in football too

Some of the others were supreme personal publicists, LF has had a much quieter manner about him iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

The reverse could be said about obj getting Eli all those passing yards too.

• Advertisement

trebor28 wrote:
    The reverse could be said about obj getting Eli all those passing yards too.
    Well it's a two way thing really. If the QB doesn't get you the ball you are not getting anywhere and if the receiver doesn't catch it and do what he does after then the numbers for the QB wont be very good.
    Anyways if you managed to catch Daniel Jones on Thursday night then you got to possibly see a worse performance again. 15 of 31 for 161 yards and 1 yd with 3 ints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well it's a two way thing really. If the QB doesn't get you the ball you are not getting anywhere and if the receiver doesn't catch it and do what he does after then the numbers for the QB wont be very good.
    Anyways if you managed to catch Daniel Jones on Thursday night then you got to possibly see a worse performance again. 15 of 31 for 161 yards and 1 yd with 3 ints.

To be fair it was against a top defense with only one serious receiver healthy and even then Jones would not have trained much with him.

Christy42 wrote:
    To be fair it was against a top defense with only one serious receiver healthy and even then Jones would not have trained much with him.
    Look I've been saying it for a couple of years. We really don't know what level Eli is at right now because he has been constantly pressured, hurried and sacked over that time. We might never know what Daniel Jones is like of they don't fix the OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jesus, you could say that about every quarter back in the league.

They have what they have simple as that

brinty wrote:
    The Giants have consistently had one of the worst offensive lines for a number of years now. You couldn't say that about every quarterback.
    Even Bortles was given time because of the state of the OL in Jacksonville, they made it better and he was still awful so he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

brinty wrote: »

I await your argument that Dak Prescott does not have a great oline.

They have what they have but we are also looking at the future when Jones may have a decent team around him.

The Giants have consistently had one of the worst offensive lines for a number of years now. You couldn't say that about every quarterback.
    Even Bortles was given time because of the state of the OL in Jacksonville, they made it better and he was still awful so he's gone.

And Eli makes a bad OL even worse by the fact he can barely move and goes into the fetal position every time he feels or imagines any pressure.

Eli is also the 6th biggest cap hit by a QB for this year. His comparisons shouldn't be against an overdrafted rookie with months as a professional, it should be against the best QBs in the league, many who regularly deal with their own OL issues and don't get the same excuses that are trotted out as Eli does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ravens have agreed to trade for Rams CB Marcus Peters

Zach Brown got a lesson in the 'walking the walk after talking the talk'.

He trash talked Kirk Cousins a bit last week before the Eagles met the Vikings and then Cousins threw 4 touchdowns in a win for the Vikings.
    Brown was cut from the Eagles the following day. Had only signed a 1 year/3M deal in the off season.

Can understand why some players just go to the same old phrases (at the end of the day) (I'm just trying to play ball) (Give 100%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Advertisement