Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Broncos send Emmanuel Sanders and 2020 5th.
    49ers send 2020 3rd and 4th.

The 49ers should be delighted with that deal. The 4th and 5th picks will be close on the board so it's really a 3rd and change.

Yeah and if they can't come to a deal with him they'll likely get a decent comp pick the following year. Hoping to see them start leveraging this kind of move more now that they have less to spend on FAs and will more likely to be losing guys.

As I said yesterday, Shanahan has spoken highly about Sanders in the past, I'm excited to see what he'll do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Lions send Quandre Diggs and a seventh to Seattle for a fifth, bizarre move in isolation at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lions send Quandre Diggs and a seventh to Seattle for a fifth, bizarre move in isolation at least.

It's an awful move really. The locker room is quite understandably is not happy, particularly Slay. He is one of the defensive leaders & they're trading him away for practically nothing.
    Bad day all round for the Lions, with news Kerryon is going on IR.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    It's an awful move really. The locker room is quite understandably is not happy, particularly Slay. He is one of the defensive leaders & they're trading him away for practically nothing.
    Bad day all round for the Lions, with news Kerryon is going on IR.

Putting together picks to move for an RB? I'm worried about picking up Ty Johnson in case they get someone in before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Putting together picks to move for an RB? I'm worried about picking up Ty Johnson in case they get someone in before the deadline.

I mean isn't Anderson still on the market? Why gather up picks for an RB when a few servicible ones are around.

Ty may or may not start but depending on the depth in your league might be worth the bench spot for a week if you he doesn't start and if he does you get a good few weeks out of him.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean isn't Anderson still on the market? Why gather up picks for an RB when a few servicible ones are around.

Ty may or may not start but depending on the depth in your league might be worth the bench spot for a week if you he doesn't start and if he does you get a good few weeks out of him.

I wouldn't do it myself but we've seen teams trade for RBs if it doesn't cost too much. Drake could be a potential target. Despite Anderson's performance last year I wouldn't want to rely on him.

Its a 16 man boards league but my team is doing well enough that I'd have to drop someone decent to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

BaronVon wrote: »
    Good article on the importance of managing your cap space, and not overpaying every veteran player who's half decent.

https://overthecap.com/the-atlanta-falcons-bleak-outlook-in-2020/

Overthecap is a super website I use a lot and that's a great article

A few teams such as the Saints for example were widely ridiculed in recent years for their cap management but they all appear financial wizards to the current Falcons situation. The Falcons are screwed after reading this

Ravens cut special team standout Justin Bethel not for performance issues but to keep their compensatory picks which they lead the league over several years or more. Its a goal of the Baltimore front office to load up on these compensatory picks.

As I understand you get compensatory picks when your free agents get signed elsewhere but they need to stay on the roster past Week 10

The Titans surprisingly cut defensive end Brent Urban. I do not know why, he was a fine player in Baltimore and was sorry to see him go. He's a good player for sure

So Justin Bethel who was picked up in free agency had to be cut also to preserve the compensatory pick

Harsh on Bethel but all is good, he has a new contract with New England

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Ravens cut special team standout Justin Bethel not for performance issues but to keep their compensatory picks which they lead the league over several years or more. Its a goal of the Baltimore front office to load up on these compensatory picks.

As I understand you get compensatory picks when your free agents get signed elsewhere but they need to stay on the roster past Week 10

The Titans surprisingly cut defensive end Brent Urban. I do not know why, he was a fine player in Baltimore and was sorry to see him go. He's a good player for sure

So Justin Bethel who was picked up in free agency had to be cut also to preserve the compensatory pick

Harsh on Bethel but all is good, he has a new contract with New England

The Bears are in a similar spot. If we cut Mike Davis we'll get a 4th round pick for Adrian Amos. It's a no-brainer really since Davis has done nothing noteworthy and has had a total of 5 snaps in the past 4 games. Hopefully he's cut in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos talking to Eagles and Texans about Chris Harris trade. Elway wants a 2nd - teams have offered a 3rd.

Adam Gotsis also expected to be traded - for probably a conditional pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Broncos are really clearing everyone out. I wonder what the odds are on Von Miller making a Mack style move in the next off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Blut2 wrote: »
    The Broncos are really clearing everyone out. I wonder what the odds are on Von Miller making a Mack style move in the next off season.

Don't think he'd get what Mack did, given he's three years older and his performances in the last couple of years haven't been as good as earlier in his career (don't have stats on that, just my impression) but it looks like a guarantee, if they're rebuilding, that older stars like him will be traded. Think as long as elway is choosing the next QB it's a waste of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

He got more sacks last year (14.5) than in any year since 2012 in his career, so I don't think hes quite done yet. I don't think Denver will get as high a price as Oakland got because of Miller's age. But they'll still get some decent picks for him.

Not much point in paying his massive salary for the last few years of his career if they're in full rebuild mode for them anyway. The draft picks would be far more useful medium/long-term.

Don't think he'd get what Mack did, given he's three years older and his performances in the last couple of years haven't been as good as earlier in his career (don't have stats on that, just my impression) but it looks like a guarantee, if they're rebuilding, that older stars like him will be traded.
    Over the past 3 years -

Von Miller - 38 sacks - 183 tackles - 1 Int

PFF grade - 2018: 90.3 - 2017: 91.5 - 2016: 90.5

Cap hit - 2020: $25.625m - 2021: $22.225m

Khalil Mack - 34 sacks - 152 tackles - 2 Int

PFF grade - 2018: 90.3 - 2017: 90.1 - 2016: 92.3

Cap hit - 2020: $26.660m - 2021: $26.646m

Khalil Mack is two years younger than Miller - but has a higher cap hit than Miller. Miller has been more consistent over the past three years since the Broncos won the SB. On top of that Miller tends to face more double and treble teams than Mack.

Part of the reason for Miller's dip this season is because of a new defensive scheme. Fangio's defence is notoriously complex and it takes quite a while before the entire defence gets up to speed. The Broncos defence is improving but nowhere near what it is capable of in this scheme. Another part of the reason is that Miller is not ideally suited to the Fangio defence - which would contribute to the thinking that he could be traded this off-season.

Chicago gave up 2 first round picks, a third rounder and a sixth rounder for Mack.

Elway would grab an offer of 2 firsts without the change if it was offered - but I suspect Miller could be available for a 1st, a second and a third.
    Think as long as elway is choosing the next QB it's a waste of time though.

QBs are notoriously hard to draft once you are outside the top 5 pick - Elway had one chance in the past four drafts and decided to take Chubb over Josh Allen and Josh Rosen (the jury is out on Allen and Rosen could not have landed in two worse spots if he tried). Elway attempted to jump from 5 to 2 to draft Darnold but the Giants refused to trade. The Giants wanted Barkley and knew that the Browns would take him at 4 if he was there. The Jets gave the Colts the no.6, no. 37, no. 49 and a 2020 third rounder to move up 3 spots to take Darnold. The Broncos reputedly offered the Giants their no. 5, no. 40 and their 2019 first rounder.

Of the QBs taken in 2019 - Murray has looked decent but I suspect that DCs will figure out how to stop him in that offence before long - Jones still looks like a boom or bust with the jury out - Haskins has been brutal - and Lock was the fourth QB taken.

Part of the reason why Elway hired Scangarello is that before this season has been primarily an evaluator and coach of QBs. He will be given the job of figuring out if Lock is any good (I think he will be a decent journeyman - but well worth the second round pick they spent on him on the off chance he is the QBOFT).

We have no idea what Lock is like - hopefully we will see him on the field before the end of the season (a loss to the Colts will improve the odds of that happening). He was okay in training camp before the injury - but nowhere near NFL ready.

If Lock isn't going to be the QB the Broncos need then what are the options - Miami is tanking to take Tua - and the Broncos currently have the no.8 pick. Herbert is the next obvious choice but there are still big question marks over him (even if the Broncos could manufacture a trade to get him).

Personally - if Lock shows anything I would give him a year as starter and use the 2020 draft capital (the Broncos currently have 7 picks in the first four rounds) to rebuild the offence, particularly the OL. The 2020 is deep in the trenches and other positions the Broncos need help. Then - the 2021 draft looks much better for QBs - and who knows - maybe (with extra draft capital from trading Miller) Elway can swing it to get a bite at Lawrence.

By the way -

If the Broncos trade Miller - and cut Flacco, Leary, Davis and Wadman (all of which should be no brainers) - they will have about $90million in cap space.

Hopefully Callahan will be fit - and I suspect the plan in free-agency will be to target younger players with upside rather than overpaying aging Vets in a win now scenario.

I am optimistic about the Broncos coaching staff - they seem to be changing the culture and I think they will be with the Broncos for a while - but at the end of the day the monkey in the room is the continuing mess of the ownership with Ellis running a little fiefdom for as long as he can.

That’s a great watch ^^^

I remember when Scott Hansen was a beat reporter who stood outside the Packers facility all day on Favre watch

He’s made redzone his own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’ve had to start muting him when he’s on to be honest.

He over acts non stop in my opinion. He constantly does that thing(as does romo) where they almost try to sound confused. Usually when there’s a catch or third down conversion.

Redzone is a slog for me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I’ve had to start muting him when he’s on to be honest.

He over acts non stop in my opinion. He constantly does that thing(as does romo) where they almost try to sound confused. Usually when there’s a catch or third down conversion.

Redzone is a slog for me to be honest
    No ones forcing you to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1188822651877384194?s=19

Miami continue to rip up the roster. Bargain for Arizona.

No ones forcing you to watch it.

I understand that.

Apologies for sharing an opinion

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1188822651877384194?s=19

Miami continue to rip up the roster. Bargain for Arizona.

That is an absolute steal

MrKingsley wrote: »
    That is an absolute steal

Unless I'm missing something, a steal that doesn't make much sense. He's out of contract at the end of the season and the Cardinals clearly aren't competing this year. Are they going to sign another RB to a big contract?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, a steal that doesn't make much sense. He's out of contract at the end of the season and the Cardinals clearly aren't competing this year. Are they going to sign another RB to a big contract?

Ah. I thought he had another year left on his deal.

Turns out I was missing something

Maybe the thought process is a sixth rounder isn't bad business if it helps to keep pressure off your franchise QB. Arizona aren't really a contender in the NFC though. Their remaining schedule includes SF x2, Rams x2 and a trip to Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    I've a feeling David Johnson is close to going on IR. They signed two RB's last week, Alfred Morris being one of them, and obviously feel they need someone better to ba l up Edmonds.
    I'm not a huge fan of Drake.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've a feeling David Johnson is close to going on IR. They signed two RB's last week, Alfred Morris being one of them, and obviously feel they need someone better to ba l up Edmonds.
    I'm not a huge fan of Drake.

Probably likely he'll head to IR and Steve Keim might be feeling some pressure to get some results in the remaining games, even if Murray at this points looks like he wasn't a terrible pick he could have been

• Advertisement

Another very strange trade. Why are teams that have no chance of winning this year giving up on draft capital for what could potentially turn out to be rentals in positions that they have strength already, in comparison to the rest of their roster?

Advertisement