Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s hard enough to forecast one week ahead, no way of knowing an easterly won’t arrive in 2 weeks, let alone 2 months. Sure up until a week ago people on here seeing mild muck winter. It’s already snowing and not just on high ground
    Gonzo wrote: »
    this spell was never going to amount of anything away from high ground in Donegal and Northern Ireland. We need an easterly and unfortunately doesn't look we'll get one till maybe February or March if we're lucky.

Atlantic cold spells are modified too much most of the time and nearly always depend on being above 200 meters in the north-west of the country to see any lying snow that sticks around for more than a few hours.

The trend for this month is a cool first half of December but never really cold enough for snow in low lying areas at any point and then a return to the westerlies and mild for the second half of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Enjoy the snow those who see it. It could be the last this winter. Blowtorch southwesterlies likely for the rest of winter. We'll be lucky to see a hard frost or two at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Enjoy the snow those who see it. It could be the last this winter. Blowtorch southwesterlies likely for the rest of winter. We'll be lucky to see a hard frost or two at best.

Nonsense. It’s easy to say that as it’s our prevailing wind and the form horse but it may and probably won’t turn out like that. Nobody knows what the weather in Ireland will be like in 3 or 4 weeks time. The weather will do what it wants and that could involve some surprises. No way this winter can be written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nonsense. It’s easy to say that as it’s our prevailing wind and the form horse but it may and probably won’t turn out like that. Nobody knows what the weather in Ireland will be like in 3 or 4 weeks time. The weather will do what it wants and that could involve some surprises. No way this winter can be written off.

Wise words; thank you. Love optimism....

I love how people are writing off the winter and its already snowing on 3rd December! you couldnt make it up, Ireland comes into its own when it comes to people moaning and spouting negativity

cheer up and embrace the fact that its snowing already 3 days into winter, even if its not snowing in your own garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Snow visible on Capard Ridge all day today. Slieve Bloom Mountains, Northeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Atlantic cold spells are modified too much most of the time and nearly always depend on being above 200 meters in the north-west of the country to see any lying snow that sticks around for more than a few hours.

The trend for this month is a cool first half of December but never really cold enough for snow in low lying areas at any point and then a return to the westerlies and mild for the second half of December.

Where are you getting information that the second half of December will be mild?? It's the 3rd December and if anything the synoptics are looking v good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great to see snow on the Connemara mountains today.

Hard frost this evening. Cold one in store.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

this spell was never going to amount of anything away from high ground in Donegal and Northern Ireland. We need an easterly and unfortunately doesn't look we'll get one till maybe February or March if we're lucky.

How can you possible say we won't get an easterly till February or March?...Hard enough to predict the weather a few days out here let alone a couple of months away...

It’s the unbearable negativity. At best forecasts in Ireland can be done 5 days out, I think a full week is nearly impossible. The idea that we could already know what will happen the second half of December let alone January and February is farcical
    Where are you getting information that the second half of December will be mild?? It's the 3rd December and if anything the synoptics are looking v good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dexter647 wrote: »
    How can you possible say we won't get an easterly till February or March?...Hard enough to predict the weather a few days out here let alone a couple of months away...

at the moment there appears to be too much energy up over Greenland to hold any blocking for a sustained amount of time and there is a trend towards a very active Atlantic for January. Of course these are just predictions and the weather does what it wants. If luck is on our side we would be looking for a SSW in December to perhaps bring in more sustained and reliable blocking in January or early February, cutting off the Atlantic and then we could be in with a chance of a long fetch easterly or proper northerly. Of course even a decent SSW does not guarantee that we can tap into decent cold, but it certainly helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Could have dangerous roads later on and in the morning.

2.0C here near Tralee.

Wind has gone near calm. NW

Less showers but just had a sleety one.

https://wow.met.ie/

0QaRFVf.gif

WmLwzva.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Frozen windscreen at 4.30pm in Limerick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More precipitation in the E, SE and S tomorrow, bit wintry on higher ground, should get a few white caps, Wicklow Mts could get a bit of a pasting.

anim_yhm1.gif

3347_xjr4.png

3637_xhq9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes it's an interesting spell here in the Northwest but it wont bring any severe cold and as mentioned earlier mild weather is nailed on after mid month. The only hope is that before it we get a proper snow fest which I wouldnt entirely write off due to the long hours of darkness temperatures over 6c will be rare in the next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not going to happen all the showers are missing us out West

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes it's an interesting spell here in the Northwest but it wont bring any severe cold and as mentioned earlier mild weather is nailed on after mid month. The only hope is that before it we get a proper snow fest which I wouldnt entirely write off due to the long hours of darkness temperatures over 6c will be rare in the next 2 weeks

Mild weather is nailed on is it. You’re some man.

Can everyone cut it out with stuff like mild is ‘nailed on’ after mid month. It’s absolute nonsense. Even met Éireann always say anything more than 5 days out is crystal ball stuff. There is zero chance anybody can forecast 2-3 weeks away!

Can we not just see how the weather conditions evolve each week at a time without the ridiculous month, two month ahead predictions and assumptions. They are completely meaningless

quote="pauldry;115504992"]Yes it's an interesting spell here in the Northwest but it wont bring any severe cold and as mentioned earlier mild weather is nailed on after mid month. The only hope is that before it we get a proper snow fest which I wouldnt entirely write off due to the long hours of darkness temperatures over 6c will be rare in the next 2 weeks[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

WBT are now well down where we want them where there's no precipitation, but where there is they're too high for snow. Reports are still of the rainy type.

The 00Z aviation chart is below.

535080.png

535081.png

535082.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can everyone cut it out with stuff like mild is ‘nailed on’ after mid month. It’s absolute nonsense. Even met Éireann always say anything more than 5 days out is crystal ball stuff. There is zero chance anybody can forecast 2-3 weeks away!

Can we not just see how the weather conditions evolve each week at a time without the ridiculous month, two month ahead predictions and assumptions. They are completely meaningless

Well said. After the wonderful snowday many of us have had it is sad to see it debunked. I get the interest etc but ..

Just has been grand and as I said yesterday even had it not snowed etc here I would have been delighted for others. Sharing the pleasure. As so many here have :D

• Advertisement

Well said Slasher!

quote="pauldry;115504992"]Yes it's an interesting spell here in the Northwest but it wont bring any severe cold and as mentioned earlier mild weather is nailed on after mid month. The only hope is that before it we get a proper snow fest which I wouldnt entirely write off due to the long hours of darkness temperatures over 6c will be rare in the next 2 weeks
    [/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

A light dusting of snow here in County Derry, around 83m elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Snow this evening is falling quite heavily not far from Falcarragh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Back up to 7c tomorrow in Sligo suddenly. I thought it wouldnt go above 6c for days. Maybe it's just a brief mild sector with the wind and rain of weekend. Sunday looks pretty cold and dry only 3 or 4c

Re being banned from giving long range weather forecasts on a weather thread I dont think it's the biggest sin to say mild weather is pretty nailed on when the weather models that showed a trend towards cold are showing a trend towards mild. After all we do live in Atlantic dominated Ireland where our weather is dominated by fairly mild Atlantic weather 90 per cent of the time so there is a high chance of this happening but I will say I was wrong on December 16th if I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Snowing away here in north Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Snow visible on Capard Ridge all day today. Slieve Bloom Mountains, Northeast.

There is a light dusting on the 'Blooms:

129096197_3501990879915006_5206810148003249727_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=5aCP47PkWesAX-LCKS1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=861e07157cfdeea5e83ec3ccc49e584f&oe=5FEE8794

A few more pics on the LaoisWeather Facebook Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

First snow shower of the season here. Brief but lay.

https://streamable.com/krjpip

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, Well, after being outside earlier in clear skies I assumed we were going to have a dry night, so imagine my surprise when i looked outside a few minutes ago to see a dusting of snow on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Well, Well, after being outside earlier in clear skies I assumed we were going to have a dry night, so imagine my surprise when i looked outside a few minutes ago to see a dusting of snow on the ground!
    Your legendary snow dance worked!
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47r38sf38b4cgibewz63r51yzai8t8yrzdrakpfaqd&rid=giphy.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Where are you again, Nacho? Dead jealous I am

Advertisement