Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Despite temperatures only dipping to -0.6c here last night with the persistent NW breeze kept temperatures higher than -2c forecasted.

However, that breeze has dried out the ground and also sucked out alot of heat. 5cm soils are below 2c! There was a hard frost too and for the first time this season the roads were icy.

Current temperatures are 2.9c with a dewpoint of 1.3c. With the cloud to the NE visible, this should soon kill off insolation and perhaps temperatures will drop enough for snow to fall?

Of note in the UK at the moment there is snow falling in areas just 30 miles (50km) from the seas there. Is there a prospect of inland frontal snow for a time from this occluded front?

Time will tell! Its unusual that a mild sector from the NE is chasing cold air in the SW!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aside from a few shaded areas, the Snow was all gone by 9 this morning. It doesn't feel as cold as i expected it to be with this breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Dublin mountains likely to see any snow today

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

catrat12 wrote: »

A couple of centimetres through the afternoon above around 250 - 300 meters probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It looks like something might be happening up there now. View from Blackrock just now.

IMG_3446[1].JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whit-on-top-snow.jpg

East Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I couldn't tell if that was a question or a statement.
    Icey rain throughout the morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Snowing in Glencullen now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cold miserable rain in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aside from a few shaded areas, the Snow was all gone by 9 this morning. It doesn't feel as cold as i expected it to be with this breeze.

Bitterly, shockingly cold out here . Maybe just me as I get days like this when I cannot get warm...
    Now if I had a thermometer etc... ... ;) lol... Certainly far less snow atop now.

Amending re cold. I just went round the north facing back so I could report accurately (!) had to fight the gale to get there and the ocean is a cauldron. Dramatic..And bitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

Was gonna take the kids out but that rain has turned it from tolerable to unbearable.

Fire on. Stay warm everyone.

That was some frost this morning too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowing in Glencullen now

Was about to suggest snow in Dublin/Wicklow mountains, as there is sleety rain now in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

4c cold rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wintry mix here at Roundwood village level, but predominantly snow when I was just caught in it! I can't see Scarr at the moment because of the precip, but expect it to be white.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Snowing near the Wicklow gap for the last hour or more. Not sticking though yet. I'm about 270m. Mountain tops have been white since yesterday from about 500m and higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Snow sticking around Sally Gap. Roads quite icy.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Snow sticking around Sally Gap. Roads quite icy.

Great shots of the white gold. Be careful up there. Not jealous at all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Only a few bits of light rain so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sleety rain on the hills of Kilkenny.

One would have to be concerned at the possibility of snow when its raining in Scotland. Just melted snow falling here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

One would have to be concerned at the possibility of snow when its raining in Scotland. Just melted snow falling here.

many parts of eastern England had a decent covering this morning, several cm's in places. Scotland had snow last night and thundersnow in Edinburgh, seems to be just rain/sleet there now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The gale changed from NW to a more directly North and with added power. Getting more serious out here. The Advent Gale. Stronger than many named gales.

I felt and heard the change. Things rattling in a whole other way. Lights are flickering too. They were wise to build gable end on to the ocean when the dwelling faced north. It is by far the most damaging.

And that has settled more again.

Reading the met ie page as darkness falls, makes for wondering what we will find at dawn tomorrow..

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reading the met ie page as darkness falls, makes for wondering what we will find at dawn tomorrow.
    Wet ground and certainly not snow unless you're fairly high up a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sleety rain on the hills of Kilkenny.

indeed. might get a small dust of bin sprinkles overnight, never know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bitter here near Tralee, 7.4C but with the blustery wind getting a windchill reading of 2.5C, it would cut ya!!

Numerous dark showers of rain, hail and sleet today but good bright spells also, Slieve Mish snowline down to about 560mm this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Anyone else experiencing far worse wind than forecast - our shed roof is doing one, one sheet of corrugated iron at a time? We are miles from the coast - Sligo 90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sea surface temperatures showing how the Irish Sea is likely to warm any onshore flow rather substantially, colder pockets in North Sea allowed for similar setup to produce some settling snow in northern parts of East Anglia as well as on higher ground south of London.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperature-de-la-mer.php?region=uk

Recent reports of gusts to 109 km/hr at Malin Head and 95 at Donegal airport, similar Belmullet and Valentia.

Low has moved up the east coast of England to near Newcastle and will now head west and southwest across Pennines into north Wales, central pressure already a bit below 970 mbs.

That Euro chart from 8-9 days ago showing a hurricane over the Irish Sea wasn't all that far off considering what other guidance was then showing. It was a 950 mb monster with 140 km/hr winds but still, just somewhat overdone (as well as no hint of its taking a cyclonic loop south, it was supposed to be moving into north Leinster after map time -- think it was a depiction for tomorrow night also, so a bit late on the timing).

Your recent snow pictures look pretty similar to what I've been seeing here for the past 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible day in Galway today very cold with strong wind and rain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Pretzill wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing far worse wind than forecast - our shed roof is doing one, one sheet of corrugated iron at a time? We are miles from the coast - Sligo 90m asl

I don't recall a northerly wind this strong in recent years, it would be a different exposure to strong winds for most as compared to typical windy weather.

Malin Head gusting to 111 km/hr last hour.

There could be some surprisingly strong gusts for the Wicklow coast later when the low gets a bit closer and the gradient over the Irish Sea tightens up. Direction will be NNE.

A rough night ahead for many.

Dead calm here with freezing fog slowly lifting, rather odd to be thinking about a windstorm when there is zero air movement outside your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MT, I've just posted in other threads about signals for an epic christmas period easterly appearing now on the (coughs) CFS. Do you see any signals at all that might support that?

Advertisement