Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Where?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Snow shower in north Sligo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I got up at the crack of dawn thinking this snow would melt but it’s actually frozen solid and crunchy underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Well guys that was a flop. We had a frost but all the showers cleared away when it got cold enough for snow.

You can see the localised effect of this event. The hills to my south have nothing on them but to my north do.

I have gone hiking. There is a thin covering above 700 feet. Bitterly cold in wind.

Waste of time event.

Why has it been a flop and waste of time? Snow was only forecast on high ground, as per the title of this thread. Anything at low levels would likely be rather localised. The forecast has been pretty much spot on so far. You've travelled to high ground to get your snow fix.....the high ground where snow was forecast to fall and stick, above 200m in your case, in your part of the country wherever that is.

You're probably one of only a few people in the country who is going for a walk on lying snow yet you also seem to be saying that it's a waste of time.

Snow line is dropping and there are some beefy showers that should arrive in from the Atlantic with the west and north getting the lion's share. I can only assume that you are in the north or west. Can you give any indication as to what part of the country you are in.....the name of the nearest town or mountain at time of posting would be very much welcomed by readers here who only know that you are over 200m ASL somewhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Where?

Been asking this for days!

• Advertisement

We have " snail".. an icy mix of snow and hail all along the path here.

The ocean is still making a roaring sound...

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Nephin and some of the Mayo hills woke up to their first dusting of the season this morning.

attachment.php?attachmentid=535008&stc=1&d=1606991558

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my field this morning, just stopped snowing again now sw donegal

535009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Where?

I think he/she is near/in Derry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some brief sleet showers in Castlebar in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Snow in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Snow flurries in Athenry but not sticking :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Wintry showers today (Thursday) and overnight (Thursday night) with falls of hail, sleet and snow. Icy stretches and accumulations of snow in some areas.

Valid: 10:00 Thursday 03/12/2020 to 07:00 Friday 04/12/2020

Issued: 10:00 Thursday

my field this morning, just stopped snowing again now sw donegal

535009.jpg
    The event is VERY localised. I have never seen anything like it. There are hills two miles a part, one with two cm, another with nothing.

You must be at a relatively high elevation.

highdef wrote: »
    Why has it been a flop and waste of time? Snow was only forecast on high ground, as per the title of this thread. Anything at low levels would likely be rather localised. The forecast has been pretty much spot on so far. You've travelled to high ground to get your snow fix.....the high ground where snow was forecast to fall and stick, above 200m in your case, in your part of the country wherever that is.

You're probably one of only a few people in the country who is going for a walk on lying snow yet you also seem to be saying that it's a waste of time.

Snow line is dropping and there are some beefy showers that should arrive in from the Atlantic with the west and north getting the lion's share. I can only assume that you are in the north or west. Can you give any indication as to what part of the country you are in.....the name of the nearest town or mountain at time of posting would be very much welcomed by readers here who only know that you are over 200m ASL somewhere in Ireland.

I think it was the marginality and the saturation that was the issue. Temps sat at 2c for hours last night but did not fall to 0c until the morning after the showers had cleared.

The snow line is around 700 feet but the frozen snow line, as in the snow that won’t melt today is about 1,000 feet.

I don’t think there will be any low level snow showers today. It is warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Supercell wrote: »
    I think he/she is near/in Derry.

Coleraine perhaps..

The hills are all white in the distance here in Donegal but nothing more than some sleety showers locally, lying snow level looks to be around 300m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Coleraine perhaps..

The hills are all white in the distance here in Donegal but nothing more than some sleety showers locally, lying snow level looks to be around 300m

If you know, you know ;)

Al the mountains now are thick with heavy snow -heavy clouds.. it that filters down lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think it was the marginality and the saturation that was the issue. Temps sat at 2c for hours last night but did not fall to 0c until the morning after the showers had cleared.

The snow line is around 700 feet but the frozen snow line, as in the snow that won’t melt today is about 1,000 feet.

I don’t think there will be any low level snow showers today. It is warming up.

Why the big mystery about your location? You were kindly asked several times where your reports are from, yet you deliberately refuse to say. Not sure what your thinking is but it's certainly not appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

The event is VERY localised. I have never seen anything like it. There are hills two miles a part, one with two cm, another with nothing.

You must be at a relatively high elevation.

Can you please calm down with all the posts. Don’t mind you posting, just don’t clog up the whole thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Odd flakes of wet snow near Roscrea

Temp 2.2°C Dew 1

Seven Worlds will Collide

Where clouds and snow and mountain meld and merge..

Utter beauty..

please can someone add the photo? Thank you

Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu

What you are describing is completely normal. A heavy snow shower (maybe more than one shower) passed over one hill but the other hill (over 3km away) didn't get hit by any showers.

That is likely to be the sole reason for what you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Slieve Blooms had white tops this morning when I was driving near Moutmellick as the skies cleared somewhat. I'd say 375m was the lower extent of it.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Where clouds and snow and mountain meld and merge..

Utter beauty..

please can someone add the photo? Thank you

Here ya go
    535031.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Snow showers now here in Mid Cork, at 650ft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was down in South Kerry this morning, heavy sleet showers under very dark cloud and then out into the bright again. Snow on mountains above about 2000 ft I would think. Very heavy hail showers here near Tralee. 3.7C

https://twitter.com/Meteorite58/status/1334489099563114496?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Water John wrote: »
    Snow showers now here in Mid Cork, at 650ft.

Macroom Town also but ground too wet from earlier rain to stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I have to ask... Will i be able to go out to the fuel shed with all this snow and sleet.?

At 176m. North kerry.
    :D

I'm sorry, I'll get my snow shovel and put it away :)

3.2c
    89%humidity
    Some hail but sun now shining.

Advertisement