Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Great to hear snow falling and sticking in places as early in December as this. Bodes well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mcburns07

aisling86 wrote: »
    Macroom Town also but ground too wet from earlier rain to stick

Even snow knows better not to stick around in Macroom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have to ask... Will i be able to go out to the fuel shed with all this snow and sleet.?

At 176m. North kerry.
    :D

I'm sorry, I'll get my snow shovel and put it away :)

3.2c
    89%humidity
    Some hail but sun now shining.

Now then! At any snow warning, fuel up inside! lol

Intermittent dazzling sun and heavy mixed showers.

I just checked met ie.. definitely getting fuel in here..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Why the big mystery about your location? You were kindly asked several times where your reports are from, yet you deliberately refuse to say. Not sure what your thinking is but it's certainly not appreciated.

We went through this same carryon this time last year, from memory we managed to get him to declare his location was `Ulster` !!

James Bond on manoeuvres, very hush-hush..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

My version of Met Eireann's aviation chart for 18Z. Areas A, B and C are areas delineated by the hashed black lines. Their respective weathers are shown in each. Mostly rain, hail and sleet showers in both A (down the eastern half of Ireland) and B (the western half).

535037.png

• Advertisement

loughside wrote: »
    We went through this same carryon this time last year, from memory we managed to get him to declare his location was `Ulster` !!

James Bond on manoeuvres, very hush-hush..

Reading between the lines I reckon he's somewhere northwest of Magherafelt, going on the coordinates of the location for the forecast soundings he posts (e.g. below). Not that we should actually care.

534962.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

All the models have upgraded the wind strength for tomorrow I reckon.

anim_gkw0.gif

Great to hear snow falling and sticking in places as early in December as this. Bodes well

Yes the "Snow Dance " posted about has served us well …. keep at it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

North to northwest winds will strengthen on Friday, gusting up to 100km/h with a slight risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Friday 04/12/2020 to 23:00 Friday 04/12/2020

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

North to northwest winds will strengthen on Friday evening and Friday night, gusting up to 100km/h with a slight risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 16:00 Friday 04/12/2020 to 06:00 Saturday 05/12/2020

Issued: 10:00 Thursday 03/12/2020

Wet-bulbs are stubbornly remaining well above zero, so low levels just not right for proper snow. A lot of modification has taken place in that airmass since Greenland.

535039.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sister in Cloonacool in Sligo says its snowing there now, not jealous, not one bit..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Light dusting on tops of mountains, south Wicklow facing northwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Low temperatures, 3.5C here near Tralee now just after a shower of hail.

https://wow.met.ie/

dt1JEU1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowing here too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cloud building up for some prolonged showers. The parameters suggest cold rain and sleet only, let's see what falls!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Low temperatures, 3.5C here near Tralee now just after a shower of hail.

https://wow.met.ie/

dt1JEU1.png

Nice dusting of snow on slieve mush. Hail on the stacks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surprised to see how low the temps are today despite the good, if wet, typically Irish looking winter sunshine. Doesn't feel that cold out, but that is probably down to the near calm conditions currently. This will not be the case tomorrow, however. Afternoon temperatures likely to be higher than today, but no doubt it will feel much colder as the stronger NW winds set in.

New Moon

Yes the window is for tonight but after that cold maritime air and strong winds it will be too "warm" for snow

Wintry showers today (Thursday) and overnight (Thursday night) with falls of hail, sleet and snow. Icy stretches and accumulations of snow in some areas.
    Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Wintry showers today (Thursday) and overnight (Thursday night) with falls of hail, sleet and snow. Icy stretches and accumulations of snow in some areas.

Valid: 10:00 Thursday 03/12/2020 to 07:00 Friday 04/12/2020

Issued: 10:00 Thursday 03/12/2020

• Advertisement

The entire Dartry Mountain range looks so pretty. I can see it all but I liked this view on my drive home.

E380-E617-9-B4-C-4-BA1-AC22-43-EDD82999-B3.jpg

Something falling against the windows even now... Snugged in abed as the coal I ordered did not arrive, for the second time.. I emailed them that I am staying in bed with all my clothes on....

Now I see we have gone Yellow Warning...

Stay warm as well as safe and well..

Giant flakes now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hearing of plenty of heavy snow in parts of Donegal. I said it a while ago, December 2020 will deliver snow and plenty of it. Month only just starting

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Hearing of plenty of heavy snow in parts of Donegal. I said it a while ago, December 2020 will deliver snow and plenty of it. Month only just starting

I was at Errigal this morning at 5am and there was only a very light dusting of snow.

Where I am now, I can see Slieve Snaght, Inishowen, alot more snow, same for Benevenagh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭cml387

Wasn't there a poster from Coleraine years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, the showers are actually breaking up here, just as well seeing as it's cold rain that's falling. If there is one thing I dislike more than mild rain, it's cold rain. It's such a waste. Damn you Atlantic modification. I wish I was in Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sligo coast at pretty much sea level.
    Had slushy cold rain all day.
    But now, at 5 in the evening, the car is frozen ...there might yet be falling/lying snow down to our level during the night

Well, the showers are actually breaking up here, just as well seeing as it's cold rain that's falling. If there is one thing I dislike more than mild rain, it's cold rain. It's such a waste. Damn you Atlantic modification. I wish I was in Donegal!

Cannot remember where you are?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this spell was never going to amount of anything away from high ground in Donegal and Northern Ireland. We need an easterly and unfortunately doesn't look we'll get one till maybe February or March if we're lucky.

Atlantic cold spells are modified too much most of the time and nearly always depend on being above 200 meters in the north-west of the country to see any lying snow that sticks around for more than a few hours.

The trend for this month is a cool first half of December but never really cold enough for snow in low lying areas at any point and then a return to the westerlies and mild for the second half of December.

Advertisement