Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The temperature is steady at 3.8c, WB is 2.8c.

I am not very hopeful, I don’t think it is going to happen tonight. It is a very “weak” cold spell for this time of the year, normally we would see snow fall by December.

I need to build a house at 2,000 feet.

I think I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen any real snowfall by December and I live in Donegal.

Lots of hail showers here all day today but just the bog standard stuff we always get at this time of year, not particularly heavy and no thunder. I can't say the prospect a bit of wet slush fills me with excitement so no plans on staying up for anything, would be nice to wake up to a dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

If the cold spell stays with us for the next 2 weeks we may see some snow before we are done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

We are making progress gradually. WB is 1.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There was large clumps of icy rain in that last shower which bodes well for later considering how high the dew point is.

Grateful to be reminded where you are please? Thank you

A ferociously wild and loud night. Waves crashing on the rocks, heavy rain? hail ? on the roof and windows, and the howling wind.

Very little rest to be had.

No idea what like it is out there until light deigns to bless us. The drive is clear as I have had to let cats in and out.

But yes, very very cold. Wrapped up like a Christmas parcel here.

After a quiet spell, a heavy, quieter shower now but the wind has eased. Still sounds like "just rain" .

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement

Ferocious rhythmic noise from the nearby shore; still over an hour to high tide.

The wind has dropped and a pause in precipitation.

I will inspect at first light and check the far mountain tops ;)

met ie forecast for Connacht is fierce. Time to lag the gas pipe etc... The week ahead is a bitter one.

Wrap up warm, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ferocious rhythmic noise from the nearby shore; still over an hour to high tide.

The wind has dropped and a pause in precipitation.

I will inspect at first light and check the far mountain tops ;)

met ie forecast for Connacht is fierce. Time to lag the gas pipe etc... The week ahead is a bitter one.

Wrap up warm, folks!
    I love your posts, Grace. Stay safe & warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Since Met Éireann won't allow posting of their aviation charts, I've made up my own version. Valid at 00Z.

The black dashed lines show the freezing level, in feet. A showery trough lies across Ulster and the northwest, moving eastwards at 20 knots. An occlusion further north moves southeastwards at 20 knots.

The weather shows the coverage of showers and the visibility on the first line, with the types of showers in the second line.

OCNL=Occasional
    ISOL=Isolated

+SHRA=heavy rain showers
    -SHRA=light rain showers
    SHRASN=moderate sleet showers
    SHRAGS=moderate rain/small hail showers
    TSRA=thunderstorms with rain, etc...

534956.png

Just looking at satellite imagery and there's a developing area of defined comma shaped cloud moving south, possibly slightly east of south. It's current position is well south of Iceland and a few hundred kilometers northwest of scotland. In your well made chart from yesterday evening (above), you have an occlusion in a similar position to the area of cloud currently heading south but over 6 hours earlier @00:00, moving south east at near 40km/h. Is the area of cloud in the satellite imagery (below) this morning the same occlusion but very delayed or is it something else? Based on your chart from yesterday, I would expect the occlusion to be overland by now.

534990.jpg

[QUOT E=Inspector Dhar;115497067]I love your posts, Grace. Stay safe & warm.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I have waited literally decades to live islanded like this and am blessed by it..

Heavy rain out there. Waiting for daylight to see what is what. The tide is about to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Glen Gesh Pass in Donegal is white but passable at the moment so I hear. First reported snowfall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Work colleague in Glasgow sent this just now..
    He hates it, life's not fair!

534994.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Top of a mountain somewhere near Barnesmore Gap, Donegal. About 10 mins ago.

D4726341-02-DD-462-B-AD2-D-6053183196-FC.jpg

B6-B47-D90-EBA9-4-D8-A-9-EE9-D7-B1-A67-BE163.jpg

Breathtakingly snowy mountains and a long way down the sides. It is still falling atop and clouds draped thereon. Eerie ….

The most I have seen in my years here. Dramatic.

There is a strange roaring over the ocean and a deep chill.

I will try for photos later when the light is better; but any more serious falls now will come to lower levels :D Not too far away....

Hoping this spreads! ENJOY!

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Wet snow fall about 2 miles further up the plateau here, it didn't stick but lovely to see, I must check the ASL height, but it's really high up there, with 5 counties on view. kilkenny/laois border

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »
    Just looking at satellite imagery and there's a developing area of defined comma shaped cloud moving south, possibly slightly east of south. It's current position is well south of Iceland and a few hundred kilometers northwest of scotland. In your well made chart from yesterday evening (above), you have an occlusion in a similar position to the area of cloud currently heading south but over 6 hours earlier @00:00, moving south east at near 40km/h. Is the area of cloud in the satellite imagery (below) this morning the same occlusion but very delayed or is it something else? Based on your chart from yesterday, I would expect the occlusion to be overland by now.

534990.jpg

The 06Z chart had that occlusion still lying along the northern Hebrides but the 12Z chart has it lying over the country, from Northern Antrim to Athlone to Valentia. There is another one followijg behind to the west of the Hebrides, moving southeastwards at 20 kt.

The 2000-ft zero line shifts further south to lie just along the southern Cork coast. The 1000-ft line still lying NE-SW along 60N 15W.

The weather still only gives rain/hail/sleet showers, with heavy snow showers only in the Scottish mountains.

I will draw that and the 18Z chart later.

Himself has sent me a better one!

B1-EB76-FC-44-E7-4-DC2-B53-C-BD275-EB7-E46-B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fairly standard morning in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

Cold sleety raininy wet here in East Clare, no sign of any sneachta on the hills back towards east of the M18.

I thought Gallows hill would have a sprinkle, but nothing to see.

Throughout the day it might get colder and it'll change colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Dublin Airport appears at first glance to be very close to snow territory. Both the 08:00 and 09:00 reporting a temperature of 2c and DP of 1c.

Of course, there is currently a lack of precipitation to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It's snowing here in SW Donegal , proper flakes :) Stop the count...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Mountain road Carndonagh Donegal ❄️❄️❄️ I’m not on it but my sister is. Small flakes of sleety rain falling in Buncrana now. Could this be the winter we’ve been waiting for 😬😬😬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Snow reports from low lieing areas of Galway, Turloughmore, Monivea. Some sticking but turning lighter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This bodes well if we continue to get showers, as temperatures are set to drop further, although shower activity looks like it will reduce as the day goes on.

Well guys that was a flop. We had a frost but all the showers cleared away when it got cold enough for snow.

You can see the localised effect of this event. The hills to my south have nothing on them but to my north do.

I have gone hiking. There is a thin covering above 700 feet. Bitterly cold in wind.

Waste of time event.

It is trying to snow right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well guys that was a flop. We had a frost but all the showers cleared away when it got cold enough for snow.

You can see the localised effect of this event. The hills to my south have nothing on them but to my north do.

I have gone hiking. There is a thin covering above 700 feet. Bitterly cold in wind.

Waste of time event.

Where are you hiking?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Snow

Snow shower

Snow shower

• Advertisement

I think it’s -1c

Advertisement