Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gone to the dogs altogether in north Dublin. Cold rain with a hard wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I misjudged the wind direction to our house and we lost our trampoline.

Thankfully it only went into the neighbours garden but still it jumped a 10 foot wall to get in there. It's secure now and we'll move it back home tomorrow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't recall a northerly wind this strong in recent years, it would be a different exposure to strong winds for most as compared to typical windy weather.

Malin Head gusting to 111 km/hr last hour.

There could be some surprisingly strong gusts for the Wicklow coast later when the low gets a bit closer and the gradient over the Irish Sea tightens up. Direction will be NNE.

A rough night ahead for many.

Dead calm here with freezing fog slowly lifting, rather odd to be thinking about a windstorm when there is zero air movement outside your house.

If I remember correctly you're in the Interior. I always enjoyed the winter trips up into the Okanagan, a much drier cold compared to the damp muck often found in Vancouver/lower mainland, which was an improvement over the regular weather I experienced growing up in Derry.

Moving to Canada and getting warmer winters. Whoda thunkit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I don't recall a northerly wind this strong in recent years, it would be a different exposure to strong winds for most as compared to typical windy weather.

Fairly sure we had a very similar set up that brought stronger winds about 2 or 3 winters ago. Certainly, the winds were stronger here that time than from this (it's more breezy than what you would call 'windy' here.)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The snow has arrived in Galway...

03123f6e4212152ca79a722cae8b46b9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MT, I've just posted in other threads about signals for an epic christmas period easterly appearing now on the (coughs) CFS. Do you see any signals at all that might support that?

The only signal I see out my window is this one.

f23fdfac4b2ced04b76c14b0ce1c553f.jpg

Not sure if connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The only signal I see out my window is this one.

f23fdfac4b2ced04b76c14b0ce1c553f.jpg

Not sure if connected.

Your funny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

temp.png

Mild sector behind the occlusion arrived here at 6pm. Getting close to +7c in South Laois now with a persistent WNW breeze that gusted 37mph earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

MT, I've just posted in other threads about signals for an epic christmas period easterly appearing now on the (coughs) CFS. Do you see any signals at all that might support that?

There's blocking high pressure appearing near the end of the GFS run (20th) but it's over Britain and Ireland, so easterly would be further south into parts of southern France and Iberia.

I think in general there will be alternating zonal and blocked intervals for much of the winter with best chances of a good wintry spell coming later, after mid-January and into February.

It's not a closed case against that CFS scenario working out by any means, a blocking pattern at 16 days can certainly evolve in terms of location and overall shape, a few days ago the GFS was showing the first stages of what you're describing around day 16 (which would now be around day 9-10) but that was pulled back and out of view in later model runs.

The jet stream around the hemisphere seems a bit prone to buckling (favoring blocking) and for this time of year it seems a bit sluggish, all good signs for long-range prospects. Another factor that I think is positive would be the rapid momentum of the freeze-up across the western arctic including Hudson Bay, momentum is a good sign as it tends to be a conservative feature. This could favor development of a blocking high near Greenland over time.

This current episode is also a good thing because seasonal patterns tend to repeat at intervals, and next time we get something like this, with colder seas and more potent arctic air masses, it could be quite wintry (at lower elevations too).

It has certainly locked into winter earlier than some years hereabouts, we have had snow cover and freezing temperatures more or less continuously since about the 10th of November. Under a mild upper inversion lid and clear skies, getting a lot of ice fog as a result, with some clear intervals mainly around early afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Much more windy in Dundalk earlier tonight than some of the red warnings we got previously. Probably peaked 8- 9 -10 pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Malin Head gusting to 111 km/hr last hour.

There could be some surprisingly strong gusts for the Wicklow coast later when the low gets a bit closer and the gradient over the Irish Sea tightens up. Direction will be NNE.

A rough night ahead for many.

Dead calm here with freezing fog slowly lifting, rather odd to be thinking about a windstorm when there is zero air movement outside your house.

Indeed yes..... The north wind is a whole different matter. It has been loud and roofshaking and still hours to go.

It was so odd literally hearing it change to full on north.

Quite distinctive, and all the safe things outside got... rearranged

The cold is intense. Up to refill hwb and gather the cats. Wish I had a thermometer - but maybe better not knowing ;)

met ie say the winds will ease Saturday afternoon. But we are all safe and all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes it should slowly moderate now, the low is getting a bit weaker all the time as it now heads south back to the Channel and into France where it will die out entirely on Saturday night.

The next system coming in from the Atlantic late Monday looks fairly weak but will spread a bit of sleety rain or mixed precip into some parts of the west and inland south, especially at elevation, not a big deal though. That one will pass south of the Munster coast and into the Channel also, then into the North Sea, but always rather weak, and then it will try to edge back west like this weekend low has done, only as almost a ghost of a low, and it will just get scooped up by the returning Atlantic frontal waves.

None of those first few Atlantic systems appear very strong either, somewhat more vigorous about ten days from now with potential for some southwest gales developing but we're heading into a rather quiet spell of weather beyond today's final phase of the proceedings.

Advertisement