Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Is the time on that chart above 1am on Saturday in Ireland?

Yes GMT. Only NOAA charts are Atlantic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

fletch wrote: »
    "BREAKING: Storm Brian To Develop Into An Explosive 'Weather Bomb' In The Next 24 Hours" - lol

They robbed that on the star....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"BREAKING: Storm Brian To Develop Into An Explosive 'Weather Bomb' In The Next 24 Hours" - lol

Anyone stupid enough to be reading that website and it's 'news' deserves a belt of a weather-bomb. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's worse than you think,

Brian is actually a DOUBLE weather bomb!
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/storm-brian-set-become-double-13777931

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are isis behind it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

This storm will have peaked before reaching our shores ...(still windy though) but nothing to be concerned about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO just looking through a few charts on the mobile it would seem like yellow warnings on some coastal counties , perhaps touching orange in Kerry on Sat. Squally showers and periods of longer spells of rain.Quite blustery inland at times.

Still need a few more runs to determine exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 00Z ECMWF has it 5 hPa lower than yesterday's 12Z. Force 10-11 winds at 100 metres, Force 8-9 at 10 metres.

00Z run

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101900_054.jpg

12Z (yesterday)

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101812_066.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Has this been named yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Media and their weather bombs.... Come back to us when a 920 low approaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

dsmythy wrote: »
    Media and their weather bombs.... Come back to us when a 920 low approaches.

The lowest ever pressure recorded over Ireland was 931mb in Limerick in 1838

A 920 low certainly would be unusual.

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Steopo wrote: »
    Storm Checklist
    - Is it a hurricane: No
    - Is it as bad as Darwin/Debbie/Ophelia: No (if you struggle with the concept of regional impacts then answer Yes)
    - Does it have a name: Not officially yet, but if classified as a storm it will be called Brian (quite likely)
    - Will it be Red National Warning: No
    - Will there be any red warnings: looking likely Orange for South/South West with possible Red Kerry/Cork. Yellow maybe orange elsewhere
    - How will they decide which counties are Red/Orange/Yellow: don't ask, it's been a long few days!
    - Will my flight leave from Dublin Airport: Yes
    - Will my flight leave from Cork Airport: Eventually
    - Will it disrupt my power coming back: if not back by Friday then quite likely
    - Will it be wet: yes very wet everywhere
    - Will there be flooding: much more rain & higher tides than Monday make some flooding a possibility especially in South/Cork
    - Will I be able to play my sports on Saturday: if born pre 1990's you'll be grand otherwise heed the warnings but you will be wet
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: yes the ground will be much wetter
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: no it won't be as windy
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: yes trees are weaker than recent storm
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: no all the weak ones have fallen
    - Do you know what you're talking: haven't a breeze

- Will there be any deaths: banter is great but main point of Met E and these discussions is to inform so accidents are avoided

Apologies if this isn't the forum for this - but what are the likely chances of disruption to flights and ferries this weekend - I'm due to collect a car in the uk, and I have a flight out of cork at 6:30am and a ferry back to dublin at 14:30. reports on this weather seem to vary wildly, so I said I'd put it to the most knowledgeable folks here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Apologies if this isn't the forum for this - but what are the likely chances of disruption to flights and ferries this weekend - I'm due to collect a car in the uk, and I have a flight out of cork at 6:30am and a ferry back to dublin at 14:30. reports on this weather seem to vary wildly, so I said I'd put it to the most knowledgeable folks here. :D

The ferry ???? 😱😵😭

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

__..__ wrote: »
    The ferry ???? ������

those (what I assume are smileys) arent showing up in my browser, so I cant tell if you're mildly horrified or not. Either way, Irish ferries have no notification on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

those (what I assume are smileys) arent showing up in my browser, so I cant tell if you're mildly horrified or not. Either way, Irish ferries have no notification on their site.

Here's your notification:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This is from the Irish Independent website.

http://www.independent.ie/weather/met-ireann-reviewing-warning-ahead-of-potential-weather-bomb-36242350.html

I can't see that tweet from met eireann anywhere on their page?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

They are holy sh1t icons. Definitely not smileys

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Gone orange for some locations:

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Galway and Mayo
    Northwest winds will reach mean speeds 65-80 km/h with gusts 110-130 km/h in coastal parts of Connacht with the risk of coastal flooding

Issued:Thursday 19 October 2017 13:00
    Valid:Saturday 21 October 2017 06:00 to Saturday 21 October 2017 18:00

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    West to Southwest winds veering Northwest will reach mean speeds 65-80 km/h with gusts 110-130 km/h in coastal parts of Munster and coastal parts of Wexford with the risk of coastal flooding.

Issued:Thursday 19 October 2017 13:31
    Valid:Saturday 21 October 2017 00:01 to Saturday 21 October 2017 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

This is from the Irish Independent website.

http://www.independent.ie/weather/met-ireann-reviewing-warning-ahead-of-potential-weather-bomb-36242350.html

I can't see that tweet from met eireann anywhere on their page?!!

The website that was linked a few posts back had the tweet from Met E. displayed. But when I went back to it later the tweet had gone from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Orange warning, Brian it is then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Can’t find it on Met Eireann, but they just said ok the TV weather forecast after the news at 1 that the storm has officially been named.

https://twitter.com/newslineweather/status/920985796076822529

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

brettmirl wrote: »
    Can’t find it on Met Eireann, but they just said ok the TV weather forecast after the news at 1 that the storm has officially been named.

https://twitter.com/newslineweather/status/920985796076822529

It gets "automatically" (not really, but that's the trigger) named if either Met Eireann or Met Office UK call an Amber/Orange level warning somewhere in Ireland or the UK, which ME just did:
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

MJohnston wrote: »
    It gets "automatically" (not really, but that's the trigger) named if either Met Eireann or Met Office UK call an Amber/Orange level warning somewhere in Ireland or the UK, which ME just did:
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/

Thanks. Learn something new every day!

Also, has noticed UK Met Office are using the Weather Bomb phrase yhat’s Been popping up on few media sites:

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/920979895739707392

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Explosive Cyclogenesis! :D

brettmirl wrote: »
    Thanks. Learn something new every day!

Also, has noticed UK Met Office are using the Weather Bomb phrase yhat’s Been popping up on few media sites:

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/920979895739707392

Yeah, as Malayalam points out, 'weather bomb' is actually a legitimately used phrase to describe Explosive Cyclogenesis (or bombogenesis) which is when the centre of a low-pressure system drops by 24mb or more in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

So what are the thoughts of everyone here, is this storm gradually getting worse and when it hits on Friday and Saturday it could be another big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME gone Amber warning now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Brianstorm

Lol waiting to post that I'd say

Advertisement