Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Newport Co.Mayo was gusting 62 knots on the 5pm met reports yesterday.
    I saw that too and yet 55 is given as the max for Newport yesterday -

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Official gusts

37852128831_9ebf9ac3f0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Official gusts

37852128831_9ebf9ac3f0.jpg

Obviously just a coastal event if an event at all.

I'm saying nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm saying nothing

A self-contradictory statement ;)

It at least looked like the orange warning was deserved in Cork anyway, particularly with the combination of heavy rainfall and gusts strong enough to fit into the orange category. The wind or rain on their own may not have been enough to justify the storm being named.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann have updated their gusts for yesterday so my map above is not now correct.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/922094102656815104

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There is an obvious need for more inland weather stations imo - if it doesn't get measured then the records are incomplete ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

My anemometer here near Tralee recorded just a max gust of 69 Km/h yesterday at 05.30, avg wind speed 27.5 km/h over 24 hrs ,WNW.

Had the most sustained winds from 11.00 to 18.00 getting 10 min avg around 32 km/h for a lot of the time with numerous gusts into the high 60's ( Wind felt higher, I wonder about my readings ? )

Had 14.6mm rainfall and the lowest Barometer reading was 676.9 hPa at 04.00

zRvBgao.png

No power outages or reports of any damage. Roads were a bit tricky in places with a lot of surface water and some minor flooding, a lot of small branches on the roads.

My tree that was cracked by Ophelia was finished off fairly quickly by Brian.

EvWb6m9.jpg

1cPMVQt.jpg?1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I live near the coasr, and have had many years sailing. I would rate Brian as an "event".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Does longevity of the winds count for anything? Although at the higher yellow/lower orange scale for most places, there's more scope for damage from a period of 12+hours of strong winds (like Brian) than a 2/3 hour period of strong winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Does longevity of the winds count for anything? Although at the higher yellow/lower orange scale for most places, there's more scope for damage from a period of 12+hours of strong winds (like Brian) than a 2/3 hour period of strong winds?

It's not part of the publicly listed criteria for different warnings levels from ME, but I'd be very surprised if they don't take that kind of thing into account, as well as combinations of different parts of the criteria - ie. if there are high-yellow-level winds and high-yellow-level snowfall (ah we wish), I'd be very surprised if that wasn't enough for ME to go for an Orange warning.

Revised gusts

37156591754_e315ab038d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wins direction must really speak for a lot. In Athlone, Ophelia was beastly with some horrific winds for a sustained period of time. Brian on the other hand was a bit wet but otherwise not much of anything.

The randomness of weather

Advertisement