Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was without power for four days and have twin ten month old babies. We had a small generator which we used to run the water pump and keep our freezer freezing. I used votive candles in old jam jars for night lights for the babies. They lasted all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Kalyke

A little bit off topic, sorry mods,

But could those without electricity tell us what they wish they had prepared for, and what they miss most with no power. We know the obvious things, but real time experience might help others in another event.
    Candle powered Internet would be sweet..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

This thing will bomb 41 hPa in 24 hours which must be near some sort of record. At its latitude of around 46N the definition of a bomb is only a 20-hPa drop in 24 hours, so it's twice that (a double bomb or 2 Bergerons).

Has storm Brian go the potential to get worse because of the 'weather bomb' or is it at is predicted in the charts becuse of the 'weather bomb'?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

From severe-weather.EU

Very active pattern over W Europe this evening with three cyclones over the region

kLDdup7.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

A little bit off topic, sorry mods,

But could those without electricity tell us what they wish they had prepared for, and what they miss most with no power. We know the obvious things, but real time experience might help others in another event.

It's the water that's the main problem just bits like just flushing toilets
    It takes about 5-6 litres to flush a toilet (who'd of thunk it :)) having showers I'm lucky I've a leisure centre membership and showers in work but it's still a nuisance.
    Electric wise you'd survive mostly the chest freezer is a pain we had nice few bits stocked up may all be thrown out now. Also couldn't do any big shops really for fridge/ freezer food obviously

As another poster says I think a small generator that could run even just the water pump freezer and fridge going is deafintally sumting in going to look at. Or also collection of rain water to flush toilets possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm a little disappointed that I can no longer use "It's not a named storm, it's a very naughty depression" when people ask me about Storm Brian happening tomorrow, since it's now officially a Brian. (People seem to think I understand the weather as a climatologist, but it's a pretty different kettle of fish really)

The system following it seems to be making a glorious swoop up towards Greenland and then getting stuck. Is that due to the semi-permanent low pressure system eating it or something else entirely? (I might be misreading it altogether.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Aimsir wrote: »
    Has storm Brian go the potential to get worse because of the 'weather bomb' or is it at is predicted in the charts becuse of the 'weather bomb'?

The weather bomb refers to how rapid the storm deepens. This will be at its deepest and strongest off of Ireland and will be filling when it arrives and crosses the country, nevertheless a powerful storm in it's own right.

RJU3iiH.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sorry if this was already covered but why is this storm named from the UK Met Office/Met Eireann list and Ophelia was named by the American list?
    Where do the storms have to form in order to get their names?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Aimsir wrote: »

If Ireland was at 30W we'd be fubarred but it will just turn out to be a 1 in 2 year system I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

flazio wrote: »
    Sorry if this was already covered but why is this storm named from the UK Met Office/Met Eireann list and Ophelia was named by the American list?

Ophelia named as a hurricane by the national hurricane center in Miami, as it went north instead of west Met/Uk MO won’t rename to avoid confusion

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

Ophelia was a hurricane, so it was named by the NHC. Brian was not a named tropical system as it didn't achieve windspeeds of >34 knots. It's formed out in the north Atlantic through the normal frontal processes, albeit with a bit of moisture from 92L.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Met/Uk MO won’t rename to avoid confusion
    Well then they shouldn't have renamed Tini as Darwin for some strange socio-political reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Samaris wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed that I can no longer use "It's not a named storm, it's a very naughty depression" when people ask me about Storm Brian happening tomorrow, since it's now officially a Brian. (People seem to think I understand the weather as a climatologist, but it's a pretty different kettle of fish really)

The system following it seems to be making a glorious swoop up towards Greenland and then getting stuck. Is that due to the semi-permanent low pressure system eating it or something else entirely? (I might be misreading it altogether.)

Makes me want to watch 'The Life of Brian' all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Warnings getting amended by Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pad199207 wrote: »
    Warnings getting amended by Met Eireann

I think they've mainly changed the start date of the orange alert from midnight on Saturday to 6am on Saturday, and extended the yellow national wind alert from friday at 10pm for 24 hours

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think they've mainly changed the start date of the orange alert from midnight on Saturday to 6am on Saturday, and extended the yellow national wind alert from friday at 10pm for 24 hours

Put up a new rainfall warning too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also added a rainfall warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

And they've added Limerick, just kidding :D

Interesting that their Orange warning just mentions "Coasts of Mayo, Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork, Waterford and Wexford" so presumably they don't see the strong winds pushing far inland and it's not actually an Orange warning for the whole of those counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Feck sake, everything blamed on storm now

http://www.thejournal.ie/donnybrook-traffic-lights-3655357-Oct2017/

Not every bit of wind, rain or power cut is related to the storm. The storm is not here yet

The fact that this is lead headline on RTE is just laughable! A blustery spell for southern coastal areas is all we can expect. If this is a headliner then we could have 10 headlines a year. 
    This system will look great when its positioned 300nm SW of Valentia but it will lose its power by the time it approaches Ireland - that said of course southern coastal areas will be at risk of a high swell - gales etc - but if we start putting orange level on every low pressure like this there will be no end..

It’s obviously to do with the scars left from Ophelia. If you were in the thick of it you’d be left nervous of any storm that would be following so soon.
    This is going to cause more power outages and downed trees left weakened from Ophelia. Probably the main reason why it’s headline news on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wouldn't agree with you on this one WC

On a local level that gradient over the far Southwest looks very tight on Sat morning....
    Power cuts, flooding are all a possibility for parts of Kerry and Cork
    The emphasis is very much this part of Ireland only though

My last comment on the event - but surely the sign of a good forecaster is to take each event on its own merits and not allow any external factors impact your decision!
    I don't disagree that this is a borderline orange wind warning for southern coastal fringes - and i dont blame ME - i blame the media for its complete sensationalism on this - because they realise how slow and inadequate they were in the run up to Ophelia...

Well, I'm saying nothing, other than watch Mace Head readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well, I'm saying nothing, other than watch Mace Head readings.

Tried wtching the web cam for Mace Head - can't see anything...lights must be out ; )

http://140.203.204.247:8650/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

to take each event on its own merits
    Agree weathercheck the media is hypersensitive to weather stories after Ophelia. Especially the sensationalist types.

Just laughing at your quote..sounds like Johnny Giles:D

'You've got to take every weather event on it's own merits there Bill':D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

can someone explain those images above to me? is that the storm Brian they are talking about or something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

nagdefy wrote: »
    Agree weathercheck the media is hypersensitive to weather stories after Ophelia. Especially the sensationalist types.

Just laughing at your quote..sounds like Johnny Giles:D

'You've got to take every weather event on it's own merits there Bill':D

"A good storm, but not a great storm" would seem to be a fair summary of this thread. A Platini type storm, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

"A good storm, but not a great storm" would seem to be a fair summary of this thread. A Platini type storm, if you will.

And the proof will be in the pudding as it is said. It has been an interesting week for weather watching at least ...

"Liam and John were great storms. Éamon was only a journeyman storm."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Probably max out in Valentia at c. 60/65 knots?
    50-55kt along the south coast?

Looks tight enough on the 24 hour EC - 
    ECM1-24.GIF?20-12

But luckily filling fairly rapidly...

ECM1-48.GIF?20-12

Advertisement