Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I personally don't particularly buy the argument that after a severe storm trees are weakened. You could also use the argument that so many trees have fallen that not many more can so less damage!?

Around where I live I've noticed today that a lot of trees and branches have just been thrown up on verges. They could blow back on the road with more strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I personally don't particularly buy the argument that after a severe storm trees are weakened.
    You could also use the argument that so many trees have fallen that not many more can so less damage!?

Back to the here and now this next storm is certainly an orange warning for the southwest

Im not talking about Ophellia but another argument I hear at times is that trees in Donegal are more used to high winds and that a similar wind speed down south would do a lot more damage to trees there than in Donegal. I cant get my head around this, is it nonsense? If anything you would think trees in Donegal would be weaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Pangea wrote: »
    Im not talking about Ophellia but another argument I hear at times is that trees in Donegal are more used to high winds and that a similar wind speed down south would do a lot more damage to trees there than in Donegal. I cant get my head around this, is it nonsense? If anything you would think trees in Donegal would be weaker.

Ah no i think it's sensible. I live at 336m above sea level and we get higher wind speeds. Trees, while growing, adapt to the stronger winds. A tree that has only ever experienced gusts up to 120km per hr is not case hardened to winds like a tree in Donegal that has experienced 150km gusts numerous times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

sdanseo wrote: »
    I wonder if Danny Healy-Rae will believe in global warming if Kerry gets battered twice in a week?

I doubt it, from some of the things I've heard him say, the only thing he believes in is himself :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest GFS takes this a little further north. Not looking good for the southwest.

gfs-0-54.png?18

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest ICON shows strong gusts in to the Southwest coast up to 120 - 130 or even 140km/h on Friday evening

iconeu_uk1-11-49-0.png?18-23

nagdefy wrote: »
    Ah no i think it's sensible. I live at 336m above sea level and we get higher wind speeds. Trees, while growing, adapt to the stronger winds. A tree that has only ever experienced gusts up to 120km per hr is not case hardened to winds like a tree in Donegal that has experienced 150km gusts numerous times.

You're right, fascinating read here https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/news/2014/may/19/weatherwatch-how-trees-learn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Excellent forecast, very detailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Latest ICON shows strong gusts in to the Southwest coast up to 120 - 130 or even 140km/h on Friday evening

iconeu_uk1-11-49-0.png?18-23

Does that model not tend to overplay wind strength? It seemed to for Ophelia anyway.

Looking at the met office U.K. Forecast the system seems to weaken when it reaches our shores although not sure if they meant weakening over Ireland or before the uk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I find it a bit like sport Pangea. Be it gaelic, soccer, rugby etc if you're thrown in to a higher level things can be pretty hairy the first day out! Whereas over time you adapt to the pace, the hits, intensity and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Strong winds for the North-West region on Saturday according to the GEM run

Does that model not tend to overplay wind strength? It seemed to for Ophelia anyway.

Looking at the met office U.K. Forecast the system seems to weaken when it reaches our shores although not sure if they meant weakening over Ireland or before the uk!

Interesting in that the ECM and GFS don't show the centre of the low panning out like the UK Met forecast.

Sorry they actually do but the winds to the south of the centre retain a very tight gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I’ve a feeling that if these charts pan out, the general perception could be that this is worse than Ophelia, because it’ll come with a fair amount of rain, and it’ll last for many from Friday night through till Saturday.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I’ve a feeling that if these charts pan out, the general perception could be that this is worse than Ophelia, because it’ll come with a fair amount of rain, and it’ll last for many from Friday night through till Saturday.

If the centre tracks that bit further north it's deja vu for the south of the country. And that's often the way with an atlantic depression. Very tight gradient to the south of that low on the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Strong winds for the North-West region on Saturday according to the GEM run

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Storm Checklist
    - Is it a hurricane: No
    - Is it as bad as Darwin/Debbie/Ophelia: No (if you struggle with the concept of regional impacts then answer Yes)
    - Does it have a name: Not officially yet, but if classified as a storm it will be called Brian (quite likely)
    - Will it be Red National Warning: No
    - Will there be any red warnings: looking likely Orange for South/South West with possible Red Kerry/Cork. Yellow maybe orange elsewhere
    - How will they decide which counties are Red/Orange/Yellow: don't ask, it's been a long few days!
    - Will my flight leave from Dublin Airport: Yes
    - Will my flight leave from Cork Airport: Eventually
    - Will it disrupt my power coming back: if not back by Friday then quite likely
    - Will it be wet: yes very wet everywhere
    - Will there be flooding: much more rain & higher tides than Monday make some flooding a possibility especially in South/Cork
    - Will I be able to play my sports on Saturday: if born pre 1990's you'll be grand otherwise heed the warnings but you will be wet
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: yes the ground will be much wetter
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: no it won't be as windy
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: yes trees are weaker than recent storm
    - Will more trees fall than Monday: no all the weak ones have fallen
    - Do you know what you're talking: haven't a breeze

- Will there be any deaths: banter is great but main point of Met E and these discussions is to inform so accidents are avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jirafa

There's more stormy weather to come in the forecast as another deep low approaches, though there is a brief calmer spell on Friday. Matt Taylor has all the detail for the next few days and looks a little further ahead too.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/41674625

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

FFS.. I'm all for weather but not for power cuts.

Seriously considering getting a generator, if these regular storms are going to become a common occurrence.

I've dumped a at least €200 of food today.

Long term, it might make financial sense.. and there is the convenience /comfort factor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

According to the GFS : 10m Gust Chart / Pressure and Precipitation

Fri Evening

45-102UK_pro0.GIF

Gusts

4Opmry0.png?1

Early Morning Sat 21

57-102UK_mxg8.GIF

z7WoZmR.png?1

Afternoon Sat 21

66-102UK_fku0.GIF

qTLVSbB.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM has it peaking in intensity well out in the Atlantic before starting to occlude and fill. Occluding systems curve to the left (north), so still some small scope for a shift by Friday night. The exact interaction of the tropical moisture tomorrow with a small low out that's out at 40W at the moment may be a source of some error as the two circulations merge, however the system will be filling as it approaches through Friday.

100 m winds Friday morning, hurricane force (gold). Lowest pressure acheived 964 hPa.
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101812_045.jpg

Saturday morning. 975 hPa, storm force (purple).
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101812_066.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

I am hosting a bbq on Saturday should I call it off or change it to friday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tzmaster90 wrote: »
    I am hosting a bbq on Saturday should I call it off or change it to friday

MOD NOTE: Adhere to the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    Will flights into Dublin airport be able to land on Friday?

As of Tuesday early morning, flights were still being diverted due to windshear: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104995629&postcount=6123

As has been said countless times, YES!

There was no flights diverted on Tuesday by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

00Z ECMWF has the low deeper and a tad further north on the west coast.

431023.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is the time on that chart above 1am on Saturday in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Could one of the ladies or lads on here with a good knowledge give us an idea what to expect looking a the situation now? I know it might develop a bit different but an educated guess would be great.
    It's being hyped up by the media but we all know this is the place to get a proper view.
    This is one of the most beneficial fourms on Boards. Thanks for your expertise. I am sure it has saved lives we will never know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

"BREAKING: Storm Brian To Develop Into An Explosive 'Weather Bomb' In The Next 24 Hours" - lol

Advertisement