Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It might even convert me to a coffee drinker.
    latest?cb=20130329201539

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

So... I caved and got a PS4. The limited edition Arkham Knight bundle was cheaper than the standard PS4 in argos. Sure it would have been silly not to buy it!

Plus it's my birthday next week, so I may as well treat myself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So... I caved and got a PS4. The limited edition Arkham Knight bundle was cheaper than the standard PS4 in argos. Sure it would have been silly not to buy it!

Now buy Knack! (Only kidding, get Bloodborne and Drive Club)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Quality purchase. Ever since I got mine the Wii-U has taken a back seat (new toy and all that). As Cidey says, Bloodborne is a super game. I'm currently addicted to Destiny, it reminds me of the early years of WoW for its loot addictiveness. Away on hols atm and getting withdrawal symptoms. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw Destiny described as something like a Skinner Box the other day, and well it's not far off.

I know lots of people adore the game, but it has been years since I've played a game that left such a sour taste with me. I genuinely felt like Bungie had something approaching disdain for my time time and effort, and well **** that. I got out nice and early, just after the campaign. And while a lot of people say the game opens up after that, it seems to do so by doubling down on everything that I disliked in the early stages.

I saw Destiny described as something like a Skinner Box the other day, and well it's not far off.

I know lots of people adore the game, but it has been years since I've played a game that left such a sour taste with me. I genuinely felt like Bungie had something approaching disdain for my time time and effort, and well **** that. I got out nice and early, just after the campaign. And while a lot of people say the game opens up after that, it seems to do so by doubling down on everything that I disliked in the early stages.

Yeah I remember reading your thoughts on it before, maybe it helps that I only started playing it recently and was oblivious to any hype or failed promises on release. I did find the campaign getting repetitive towards the end alright and it's a shame the story is pretty poor - as you get the sense there's a great lore to be uncovered. Once you hit the xp level cap you're effectively repeating similar tasks to get better gear to raise your light level. But the core gameplay is fantastic I find, which is ironic for me as I don't play first person shooters and have very little time for games in general let alone ones with mmo like features. And I've barely touched the pvp side of the game. It's also great fun playing with the chaps in the PS4 clan, really helpful folk.

Anyway, PS4 is class (except for my stupid disc eject problem). :)

Still nothing to entice me into buying a Sky box though (Xbox One).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playstation Mobile is being discontinued which might have you all asking 'Playstation what now?' but it's the only place you can get a little gem called Oh! Deer which is a Outrun 2 clone with music by the guy that did the Streets of Rage 3 music:

http://necrosoftgames.com/ohdeer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I still think Destiny is great. The gunplay feels really good in it.

Generally hate online games, but I like the fact that Destiny doesn't force you to have to communicate with idiots.

It's just a fun game that I can play on autopilot every now and then, which is sometimes all I want from a game.

Also the Vault of Glass is absolutely amazing. Probably one of the best moments in gaming I've ever had. Definitely recommend finding a bunch of people to go in cold with though as it's a lot of fun trying to work out what to do.

I had zero expectations for Destiny so that might be why I don't judge it very harshly. A lot of people seem to have a completely different game hyped up in their head. I just got it because it was the same price to get the PS4 with the game. I didn't even know what type of game it was and I've always found the Halo games a bit tiresome.

Sort of finished Arkham Knight last night... wow does that game run out of steam towards the end. And then it doesn't even actually give you a proper ending unless you've defeated all the super villains which apparently includes the Riddler which means collecting about 250 trophies just to finish the game properly. Now if the Riddler had scattered Amiibos about the city, I'd have no problem with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭Doge

A nintendo playstation prototype has been spotted in the wild! :eek:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/3by710/somebody_obtained_a_nintendo_playstation/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, all of my behavioural training flooded back with a mention of that, reinforcers, behavioural modification, Pavlov and his dog.... That was a while ago though, 1990/93...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'm not a big fan of mobile/tablet games but I played a bit of Taito's Groove Coaster 2 (Android) last night and it's quite fun and the availability of Darius Burst tracks helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Groove Coaster is just amazing, they even released it in the arcade in Japan. Didn't realise there was a groove coaster 2.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah, all of my behavioural training flooded back with a mention of that, reinforcers, behavioural modification, Pavlov and his dog.... That was a while ago though, 1990/93...

7VyTdBC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

11703096_898691440203685_8368902112063766476_n.jpg?oh=7b948b3b8bd98caf5437f6cded3648ad&oe=56333386

The sad thing is, we've done that before... with 8 players.

The sad thing is, we've done that before... with 8 players.
    It was great once we had some cozy blankets. Definitely something we should try again in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The awesome thing is, we've done that before... with 8 players.

FYP

Thats witchcraft, youre playing the game and taking a photo of yourself the same rime! ;)

You should have been the one wearing the wizards cloak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

After many months of waiting I now have two of these bad boys on the way to me :)
    It’s totally worth the wait though as the designer has certainly made some serious improvements since I stuck my name on the waiting list.

Ty2CTGs.jpg

v3.0 features:
    1. 8 SCART inputs;
    2. SCART output;
    3. VGA output;
    4. 3.5 audio jack output;
    5. Automatic switching (composite based signal detection);
    6. Only external power (standard 2.1 DC jack, 7-12V, center is negative);
    7. Integrated sync stripper (SCART output only, can be turned off).

It was great once we had some cozy blankets. Definitely something we should try again in the summer

Must see if there is a way to do it on my roof... Getting power up there could be tricky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is that someone in a onesie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »

I think it was a blanket to keep him warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well, blast it. I went down to The Crescent earlier to buy some movies, one of which being the 3D BD for Big Hero 6...after completely forgetting that I previously bought it last week at Xtra Vision. Not to worry. That disc is still sealed and I have the receipt, so I doubt that I'll have any problem on getting back my money for the original one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You haven't played video games outside until you've played four player plus Johann Sebastian Joust in a pitch black field, the space illuminated only by the garish multicolour lights of PS Move controllers :) Definitely worth a try next time there's a beers night with appropriate facilities!

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »

Haha, that was me with one of cideys blankets.
    I couldnt hack the cold in the East, too used to warmer air that hits us down in the South west.

I think there was 1 or 2 others with blankets also.

It was a late August night as well, or early September, either way it shouldn't have been so cold.
    I'm surprised at how long ago it was too!

It was a late August night as well, or early September, either way it shouldn't have been so cold.

Clear sky too I remember which didnt help.

In fairness the hospitality in the cider household was top notch, not only were blankets handed out but tonnes of food fresh out of the oven also. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

More Mario coming back to Happy Meals "soon"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not sure if it's been mentioned but a physical PS4 edition of shenmue 3 has been added to the kickstarter rewards for $60.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3?ref=nav_search

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Thats witchcraft, youre playing the game and taking a photo of yourself the same rime! ;)

You should have been the one wearing the wizards cloak!
    I think it's Dinorex's photo? No Onesies, all blankets because I would have taken it, I was freezing!

I'm sure it was either before or after I went to Lithuania so September ish

Not sure if it's been mentioned but a physical PS4 edition of shenmue 3 has been added to the kickstarter rewards for $60.

Where's the Dreamcast GD Rom reward tier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Where's the Dreamcast GD Rom reward tier?

I don't know, but I'm up in arms about it.

If only we still had a Sega forum to rant in....

Just after I buy a PS4 after saying I wouldn't until a physical Shenmue 3 release was announced. Coincidence? I think not....

Well...the 'MRKNs are celebrating the 4th of July, sooo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I thought there were some good tunes here. It's times like this I wish I understood Japanese.

http://gyusyabu.ddo.jp:8080/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Strong rumour going around that they've made Retr0 a Cmod...get your stuff in order people, I think he's going to clean the house! :D

Instabans for anyone not running 60HZ RGB Scart!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

And a Legend of Dragoon appreciation thread stickied.

Shovel knight is getting a physical release now too.

Part of me is still quite saddened that I haven't played it yet, and another part is now glad that I held off. Now for the all important question... Which version to get?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Doge wrote: »
    Instabans for anyone not running 60HZ RGB Scart!

Or anyone without a PVM :(

airmax87 wrote: »
    Or anyone without a PVM :(

Oh, oh, I've one of those!
    I can stay!
    Woohoo!

Just don't go playing Golden Arse of Sh1te of Rage on it!

Oh, oh, I've one of those!
    I can stay!
    Woohoo!

Just don't go playing Golden Arse of Sh1te of Rage on it!
    Don't make our new Catagory Mod ban you for saying that. Even a mod of your kind doesn't have the kind of power he has.

Don't make our new Catagory Mod ban you for saying that. Even a mod of your kind doesn't have the kind of power he has.

I ain't afraid to express myself.
    I've got nothing to fear from there Cat Mods.
    It's the Lizard Mods I'm afraid of....
    uberlizzzzz2_zpscfa1e78b.jpg

Got The Witcher 3 on PS4 for my birthday. The amount of stuff that comes with the standard version is unreal compared to the single sheet, double sided safety information you get now!

Got The Witcher 3 on PS4 for my birthday. The amount of stuff that comes with the standard version is unreal compared to the single sheet, double sided safety information you get now!

Yeah I was surprised by that too, feels more like a special edition. Only played a couple of hours before Destiny took me away but reading those latest patch notes it sounds like the game will be even better by the time I get back to it proper.

Not retro but Tesco are selling these Star Wars t-shirts (with less creases :D). Missus picked one up for me yesterday, a tenner I think she said it was. They look pretty cool imo.

90cuVTM.jpg

Which reminds me, took a pic of this monster in the Star Wars exhibit at Lego Land. Hard to tell from the pic but it's absolutely massive (as in dinner table big). The engines at the back light up cool too. :o

zvbt3p8.jpg

• Advertisement

Lovely, going to have to head for Tesco tomorrow so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement