Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Have you picked up a PSTV for it yet?

No, I saw the reduced price in Smyths/Argos but tbh I don't understand the point of it. I have a Vita anyway so figured I'm good for now for Sony goodness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    No, I saw the reduced price in Smyths/Argos but tbh I don't understand the point of it. I have a Vita anyway so figured I'm good for now for Sony goodness. :)

Was so close to pulling the trigger on one myself, but talked myself out if it luckily. From reading the comments thereafter, they're a bit pointless no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Especially when the Vita itself can fulfill the PSTV role, or at least the first gen one can, with HDMI out.
    No reason to have released a new micro console at all.
    It's all a bit 32X really.
    And I wonder if it's bye bye for Sony in the handheld realm, they couldn't have built a better handheld at the time but have been utterly outclassed by inferior hardware but superior everything else.

I kinda 'get' the PS4 streaming avenue they've taken, but it's nowhere near enough of a reason to buy one for me. Vita games on tv wouldn't appeal to me so apart from nearly insta-reacting to a bargain alert, I've no real use for the thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Especially when the Vita itself can fulfill the PSTV role, or at least the first gen one can, with HDMI out.

It does? Oh cool i will check my Vita, then i can plug it in to the Framemeister if it needs any fiddly goodness that only the Framemeister can leak from it's mighty teet!

Actually, if i get 3 seconds to check it out tonight I will do so. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    It does? Oh cool i will check my Vita, then i can plug it in to the Framemeister if it needs any fiddly goodness that only the Framemeister can leak from it's mighty teet!

Actually, if i get 3 seconds to check it out tonight I will do so. :)

Actually, what I should've added was that with the release of the PSTV they didn't update the Vita firmware to activated the output and the removed the necessary hardware altogether in the 2nd generation Vita.
    Which is not cool Sony, not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That Colosseum stage just reminds me of Way of The Dragon

FilmArchive453imageja.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Video Games Live was good craic on Saturday night. I only picked up tickets on Friday when they made their last discount code available. Got 2x tier 3 seats for €67 which on the night turned out to be perfect seats.

You may have read elsewhere that the second half was heavily Blizzard focused but given the Conductor's work experience that was to be expected and appreciated. The highlight for me was the opening piece from FFVIII, it's something else to hear live. The Auditorium of the CCD can hold 2000 people and from what I could see, they used the bottom section only. Of the seats available in that section, I'd say about 80% - 85% were filled. There were some folk seated on the higher level but I reckon not more than 60ish (I had a peek during the intermission so I could be well wrong). Their initially high prices must have thrown people off but hopefully this won't deter VGL from coming back again. Preferably sooner than 6 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

That Colosseum stage just reminds me of Way of The Dragon

FilmArchive453imageja.jpg
    Just as flat, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I genuinely have no idea where that touch sensitive eject button is on the the PS4... I seem to have to fondle a different part of the console every time I need to eject something...

DinoRex wrote: »
    I genuinely have no idea where that touch sensitive eject button is on the the PS4... I seem to have to fondle a different part of the console every time I need to eject something...

I'm the exact same.

I end up ejecting something instead of turning it off, or vice versa.
    I need something like this
    12d3c7e303f000c9d72eac504ab19b6d.jpg
    Then, as the console powers on I can shout this

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm the exact same.

:pac:

I stay away from both buttons now tbh. I just hold down the Options/PS button on the controller and Eject Disc/Power Off from there. Mainly because I'm afraid to go near the fecking ones on the unit itself. Still, have had no ejection issues (... :cool:) with it since. Now if From Software can fix that irritating loading screen in Bloodborne I'll be well happy.

Bloodborne

Shouldn't you be clearing MegaMan 2?? :P

Myrddin wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be clearing MegaMan 2?? :P

All mouth, no trousers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,459 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Where's the cheapest spot to pick up a PS4 these days? Think I'm going to have to take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

:pac:

I stay away from both buttons now tbh. I just hold down the PS button on the controller and Eject Disc/Power Off from there. Mainly because I'm afraid to go near the fecking ones on the unit itself. Still, have had no ejection issues (... :cool:) with it since. Now if From Software can fix that irritating loading screen in Bloodborne I'll be well happy.

If you stare at the Bloodborne logo for the full 30 second load time and then look at the wall above the TV you get a cool effect of the logo floating in the air.

If you stare at the Bloodborne logo for the full 30 second load time and then look at the wall above the TV you get a cool effect of the logo floating in the air.

And you'll have plenty of opportunities to practice this optical effect, especially if you have the skill set I've been cursed with.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest spot to pick up a PS4 these days? Think I'm going to have to take the plunge.

I think Argos tend to have the best offers. Andrew got a decent one with Bloodborne & The Last of Us Remastered recently

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »

Argos is where I got mine. PS4 + Bloodborne + The Last of Us for €399. They have other game selections for the same price depending on your preference. Not sure if it's the cheapest price going but it did me. :)

They are still doing a similar offer for the same money, just swap out TLOU for The Order.
    Well, at least you can trade it in for something decent.

They are still doing a similar offer for the same money, just swap out TLOU for The Order.
    Well, at least you can trade it in for something decent.

Swap out TLOU? Presumably only if you've already played it yes? :confused:

Swap out TLOU? Presumably only if you've already played it yes? :confused:

No, no, they've swapped out TLOU in the deal, for the slightly less stellar The Order (expensive game, very very short).
    So, I'd buy the pack from Argos, then tip on into CEX, get €35 on credit for it, and buy The Last of Us for another €3, jobs a good'un!

No, no, they've swapped out TLOU in the deal, for the slightly less stellar The Order (expensive game, very very short).
    So, I'd buy the pack from Argos, then tip on into CEX, get €35 on credit for it, and buy The Last of Us for another €3, jobs a good'un!

Was thinking you're losing the ole eyesight. The offer is still there although it does say it expires today. :(

knzQN5V.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

judging from what I've seen of The Order, they spent too long working on the visuals and details, and forgot to make the actual game.
    I'd feel sorry for anyone who spent the €75 Gamestop are asking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished Bloodborne this evening. A wonderful experience from start to finish - challenging, atmospheric, and all around masterfully designed. Dark Souls 2 is a great game, but Hidetaka Miyazaki exerts that vital extra layer of creativity and artistry here, and it's a much more involving game as a result. The world they've created is an astoundingly bleak place to shuffle through.

Just finished Bloodborne this evening. A wonderful experience from start to finish - challenging, atmospheric, and all around masterfully designed. Dark Souls 2 is a great game, but Hidetaka Miyazaki exerts that vital extra layer of creativity and artistry here, and it's a much more involving game as a result. The world they've created is an astoundingly bleak place to shuffle through.

Only just started playing it at the weekend but already enjoy it more than both Souls games (couldn't get into DS2 at all), except for the poxy loading times of course. I do wonder if they will bother trying to fix them. Much prefer the more nimble movement of this main character and no more having to think about item weight etc is cool.

One small thing that always bugged me about these games though is ragdoll nature of the corpses you leave behind - one minute you're engaged in meaty combat against solid feeling enemies, once they're dead they feel like they're made of paper as you kick them about.

Yeah, stroll past an orc bugger, the thing that was smacking you about mere moments before, and it's as if it's 2005 all over again with crappy rag doll effects, kinda ruins the atmosphere a bit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly I'd say any issues I'd have with it would be nitpicks. The loading times didn't bother me that much except when on vial farming runs (after unsuccessful fights I was usually happy for a few moments of downtime :pac:). That vial farming was one minor nuisance, as Estus flasks meant you could hop straight back in for another go without worrying about healing resources. And I think Frenzy damage might be my least favourite thing in any From game, but you have the joys of that to discover :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement