Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Spreece wrote: »
    My DMs have never been so busy. I’ll get around to all the requests next week. I don’t think this is the place for selling notes so I posted in response. If everyone who gets free notes for me passes on the favour then everybody wins.

100% agree, I was lucky enough to get some free soft copy manuals last year and sent them onto people that needed them, field is competitive enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Saved.bythelaw

I really need Constitutional sample answers too if anyone has them please

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Jackson44 wrote: »
    Anyone looking to swap manuals DM me, looking for Property, EU, Company and Contract.
    I have the 4 other manuals to trade.

Even if someone only have 1 of the other manuals happy to send you all that I have.

Thanks.

I have manuals till 2019 if that's any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

Would anyone have recent sample answers in EU and Equity that they'd be willing to share?

I have sample answers in all 8 subjects but they are only up until 2013 - happy to share if anyone wants them!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

Jenosul wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that the numbers are being capped due to the current economic climate? Is this the reason why they seemed to mark harsh? Are they planning on having a limited number starting ppc1 due to the hard times we are in? I also feel I deserved a pass apart from in one exam. I answered 5 questions correctly. One would think if you have the correct answer you pass. Did you get a pass if you had extra details in your answer and researched outside of the notes most people have to pay for on top of parting with more money for them? If this is the case (I am curious as we seem to all be in the same boat) then could we not be informed to pass we need to be in the top percent then sending people over the edge with the shock alone and left devastated wondering where it all went wrong.

How does that make sense though? Surely they want your 16k when you go to law school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Jenosul wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that the numbers are being capped due to the current economic climate? Is this the reason why they seemed to mark harsh? Are they planning on having a limited number starting ppc1 due to the hard times we are in? I also feel I deserved a pass apart from in one exam. I answered 5 questions correctly. One would think if you have the correct answer you pass. Did you get a pass if you had extra details in your answer and researched outside of the notes most people have to pay for on top of parting with more money for them? If this is the case (I am curious as we seem to all be in the same boat) then could we not be informed to pass we need to be in the top percent then sending people over the edge with the shock alone and left devastated wondering where it all went wrong.

Almost certainly not the case. If a professional society implemented that policy without telling candidates it would be highly immoral and cause a scandal if it came to light.
    Also why would they apply a far higher standard in one or two of the exams rather the across the board.

Almost certainly not the case. If a professional society implemented that policy without telling candidates it would be highly immoral and cause a scandal if it came to light.
    Also why would they apply a far higher standard in one or two of the exams rather the across the board.

Yeah like the grades are so random.. I passed one that I felt was at the same level as the 2 I failed and other people failed the one I passed. The fact that so many people have told them about this and they are flat out lying to us whether they seriously messed up and are too lazy to fix it or whether something more sinister is going on is a major scandal in itself however. Desperately want answers right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    Yeah like the grades are so random.. I passed one that I felt was at the same level as the 2 I failed and other people failed the one I passed. The fact that so many people have told them about this and they are flat out lying to us whether they seriously messed up and are too lazy to fix it or whether something more sinister is going on is a major scandal in itself however. Desperately want answers right now.

I empathize with peoples frustration re the harsh marking but people are labouring under the misconception that all these exams are marked to a similar standard. Theres a lot of posts along the lines of I passed x exam with this standard of answer how could I fail this one with the same level of understanding. These exams have always been marked according to totally different standards. I dont think the Law Society specify anywhere that the level of answer that will get you a pass is the same for each exam. How else can someone explain equity [one of the shortest and most straightforward syllabus] having the highest fail rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Google search:

"UL School of Law marking scheme"

Where is the LSI's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

I have a theory after having spoke with my TC firm who is in the top 3 yesterday who in normal circumstances have no problem delaying TC's by a year. On the phone they said they didn't have space for those people who were delaying until 2023.

They told me that due to the August sitting, a lot of people have passed FE1s sooner than they normally would have and they are dealing with the flood of candidates ready to start. I wonder (and this is purely speculative) if all the big firms are having the same issue and trying to get the LS to slow their roll when it comes to their funnelling into the system.

Aside from that, LS like any educational institution themselves only have so much space. They definitely have a target number to reach and contrary to that, one they can't pass due to limited resources. If they started passing everyone, this would have a wave-effect to their detriment, and failing people of course bings in more money. They have already publicly blamed and lie when pushing out the March sitting on us for "not being able to adapt" to this pandemic. Perhaps they will rely on that excuse for the pass rates too. Perhaps this is to put back on course the regular numbers. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Does anybody think 70% of candidates that sat Property passed it this sitting? Because that's the average pass rate from previous years. I certainly don't think so, not even close, judging from this thread. If not, it means they decided to mark the exams harder during the Pandemic. The level of callousness required to pull this of is hard to contemplate.

I don't personally know anyone who failed it but I think people are shocked with how hard it was marked, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's fallen below the posted pass rates. A new examiner started last year as well and that could be making an impact. It was the lowest grade I got so far in the FE1s out of the 5 I've passed and I thought it was a really straightforward paper

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Yes, I have a question! Why haven't you released the data on pass rates and average grades that you collated? I had a look there and you are no longer accepting submissions.

Cos I'm not finished yet. Thursday or Friday I reckon.

Heres the Conference 2020 thing for constitution that was discussed a few pages back I purchased. Not worth the 20EUR and I have attached it below, so save yourselves.

Any donations of SA or examiner reports or exams October 2019 and later for Constitution or EU greatly appreciated :o

Paper - John O'Dowd.pdf

SFMcQ UCD Const Updates 16 Jan 20.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

Fe7 wrote: »
    Heres the Conference 2020 thing for constitution that was discussed a few pages back I purchased. Not worth the 20EUR and I have attached it below, so save yourselves.

Any donations of SA or examiner reports or exams October 2019 and later for Constitution or EU greatly appreciated :o

Paper - John O'Dowd.pdf

SFMcQ UCD Const Updates 16 Jan 20.pdf

I have eu pm me your email, updated constitutional materials seem to be like golddust around here

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

laworlawww wrote: »
    I don't personally know anyone who failed it but I think people are shocked with how hard it was marked, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's fallen below the posted pass rates. A new examiner started last year as well and that could be making an impact. It was the lowest grade I got so far in the FE1s out of the 5 I've passed and I thought it was a really straightforward paper

I think because it’s such a straightforward paper you’re expected to be at a higher standard

I got 58% in it in November and I was expecting higher tbh because I thought it was so straightforward but it ended up being the lowest out of the three I sat

I have a theory after having spoke with my TC firm who is in the top 3 yesterday who in normal circumstances have no problem delaying TC's by a year. On the phone they said they didn't have space for those people who were delaying until 2023.

They told me that due to the August sitting, a lot of people have passed FE1s sooner than they normally would have and they are dealing with the flood of candidates ready to start. I wonder (and this is purely speculative) if all the big firms are having the same issue and trying to get the LS to slow their roll when it comes to their funnelling into the system.

Aside from that, LS like any educational institution themselves only have so much space. They definitely have a target number to reach and contrary to that, one they can't pass due to limited resources. If they started passing everyone, this would have a wave-effect to their detriment, and failing people of course bings in more money. They have already publicly blamed and lie when pushing out the March sitting on us for "not being able to adapt" to this pandemic. Perhaps they will rely on that excuse for the pass rates too. Perhaps this is to put back on course the regular numbers. Who knows.

Riddle me this though. Why not give me 40 something in company if they're passing me because they don't have room? Why give me 28? like WHAT is that about?

Riddle me this though. Why not give me 40 something in company if they're passing me because they don't have room? Why give me 28? like WHAT is that about?

not passing me *

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Company and equity were the two I failed as well! I failed company horribly scoring in the 20s when I thought I passed and came out happy.. Like you I'm comfortable enough with these and have passed 4. I was wondering did you pass your other 7 on the first try? Also did you ever hear of this happening in previous sittings? It seems that there was a lot of failure in every subject except EU and criminal which I didn't hear an overwhelming amount about. Honestly at a loss for what I'm gonna do now. I don't understand company law and was so happy we got a nice paper and I would have mentally prepared to repeat if I thought I failed in November because you usually know on the day. There is some level of bs going on here and my emails have been ignored and I was completely fobbed off on the phone. I know they've prob been bombarded but they need to maybe write one email and send it to everyone who sat FE1s in November and people who didn't fail any can ignore it. This is insanity.

These were my last two. And I failed them too - 30% in Company - an absolute shock. I had cases in every single answer. And I got 43% in Equity which I also was confident about as I failed it previously and studied very hard for it and in advance. I have applied for a recheck and sent them an email asking for my script.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

I really need Constitutional sample answers too if anyone has them please

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

I need examiner reports for criminal / company / constitutional, please dm if you have them

Have papers/reports/notes/sample answers for most of the 8 that I can swap, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

law987 wrote: »
    I need examiner reports for criminal / company / constitutional, please dm if you have them

Have papers/reports/notes/sample answers for most of the 8 that I can swap, thanks

I have Company and Constitutional exam reports up to March 2020
    Company I sat a while ago so I don't have anything past 2019 for it

Let me know if they're of any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aisbash

Hi guys. I have Tort Nov 2020 paper if anyone wants it, got it from my prep course. Shoot me a PM if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

I'm not sure why this would make a difference. There's a limited number of Training Contracts available anyways and that doesn't change based on the number of people passing the exams

DavidX90 wrote: »
    I cannot wait to protest outside of Blackhall Place once vaccines have been rolled out.

I'll be the guy standing there with "SHOW US THE MARKING SCHEME" written on a giant sheet of cardboard.

Hahahah +1

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

jus_me wrote: »
    In general did people pass constitutional? Trying to figure out if it was just me shocked with the outcome of this exam

I got 55 and was delighted. I came out annoyed thinking my answers looked poor because 3.5 of them relied on 2 topics where I had properly prepared for probably 20 but looking on boards this complaint was shared by many so likely didnt effect my end result

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Has anybody started getting word on access requests yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 law1234567

Can anyone who sat constitutional in November remember the case note cases that came up? Cant find a copy of the paper anywhere :/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

TCPIP wrote: »
    Has anybody started getting word on access requests yet?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

Does anyone have the paper/topic from November 2020 tort, criminal, and constitutional exam? Also tort august 2020 topics/exam? Appreciate it if anyone could help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Anyone know if the OPW are still only accepting orders for legislation over the phone between Wednesdays & Thursdays between 10am – 12.30pm like last year?

Advertisement