Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Anyone else very hesitant to sit company and equity this March due to how it has been marked in the November remote exams?

I'll be doing EU instead of company. I really don't want to be working on a subject for months only to get slapped with a 36 at the end of it. I'm thinking about just waiting until the Autumn which will hopefully be in person to sit those exams

Genuinely. It was my best and most confident exam. I even passed Tort and Equity for christ's sake. Something is not right with Company this year. I went to the bathroom once half way through - said I was going. Missed the first five minutes of the exam because of tech issues (I was in the waiting room I think its called already at 7am, but the time the exam opened, I had to do the blasted passport thing all over again). Even still, I had my pick of questions and did all five and had time to bold/italicize cases/legislation near the end, look over and make sure I was happy. Added in Covid-19 Act amendments to the CA where applicable. I had my CA tabbed and highlighted exactly as allowed as if I was to sit in person in the off chance they asked for photos of random pages, etc. I was petrified as it was the first exam to even be suspected of anything. Didn't look around my computer at all.

No chance for them to think of cheating, and my knowledge was not lacking. Now, if for whatever reason I *thought* I did well but didn't, my mark would have at least been in the 40s having done 5 Qs. However I got 36. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ElMo7

Hi everyone. Would any have tort or constitutional sample answers they would be willing to send me? I have material from other subjects.

Thanks a mill 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Any sign of that guy who surveyed people's results posting the average grades? Really curious to see before I apply for an exam.

Looking at you equity

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

Fe7 wrote: »
    Genuinely. It was my best and most confident exam. I even passed Tort and Equity for christ's sake. Something is not right with Company this year. I went to the bathroom once half way through - said I was going. Missed the first five minutes of the exam because of tech issues (I was in the waiting room I think its called already at 7am, but the time the exam opened, I had to do the blasted passport thing all over again). Even still, I had my pick of questions and did all five and had time to bold/italicize cases/legislation near the end, look over and make sure I was happy. Added in Covid-19 Act amendments to the CA where applicable. I had my CA tabbed and highlighted exactly as allowed as if I was to sit in person in the off chance they asked for photos of random pages, etc. I was petrified as it was the first exam to even be suspected of anything. Didn't look around my computer at all.

No chance for them to think of cheating, and my knowledge was not lacking. Now, if for whatever reason I *thought* I did well but didn't, my mark would have at least been in the 40s having done 5 Qs. However I got 36. :confused:

I was absolutely dreading it and then we got a lovely paper and I felt happy about it and I got 28. Makes absolutely 0 sense. Surely if you were cheating they would give you a 0 and also they have to tell you? Also like you said if we actually failed it should have been more 40s like...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Any sign of that guy who surveyed people's results posting the average grades? Really curious to see before I apply for an exam.

Looking at you equity

I would also like to see out of curiosity !

Starting to regret putting my results in tho haha

• Advertisement

Have many people contacted the LS to convey that their grade makes absolutely no sense to them? If so what did they say? Weren't very receptive to me and I was basically told pay for a recheck and if there's no change then tough but no explanation as to why I got the grade and I'm not sure if the same person corrects it for the recheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

I was one of the (few) lucky ones on results day but totally feel everyone's frustration.

For my first FE1 sitting (2018) I went in totally blind (had never looked at past papers / reports / manuals etc) and only managed about 3.5 questions and two of my marks were in the mid 30s. So imagining that you guys were a LOT better prepared than me back then and are still getting marks in the 30s means something's not right imo. I'd honestly be worried that some of your answers didn't save? Hope you guys put pressure on the Law Soc for answers because from reading on here there seems to have been a hell of a lot of people who may have been royally screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

How did people do in the constitution exam?

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    I was one of the (few) lucky ones on results day but totally feel everyone's frustration.

For my first FE1 sitting (2018) I went in totally blind (had never looked at past papers / reports / manuals etc) and only managed about 3.5 questions and two of my marks were in the mid 30s. So imagining that you guys were a LOT better prepared than me back then and are still getting marks in the 30s means something's not right imo. I'd honestly be worried that some of your answers didn't save? Hope you guys put pressure on the Law Soc for answers because from reading on here there seems to have been a hell of a lot of people who may have been royally screwed over.

I was the same the first time I sat company. I did an abomination of an exam and got 29 and was like yup fair enough.. it was the second paper I ever sat and my first sitting.. this time round I studied a lot and got a lovely paper and got 28... doesn't add up. I also hope people don't acquiesce and put themselves through studying for it again when they feel like their grade was way way way wrong but honestly the stress of having to absolutely hound the LS like we shouldn't have to deal with it.

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    I was the same the first time I sat company. I did an abomination of an exam and got 29 and was like yup fair enough.. it was the second paper I ever sat and my first sitting.. this time round I studied a lot and got a lovely paper and got 28... doesn't add up. I also hope people don't acquiesce and put themselves through studying for it again when they feel like their grade was way way way wrong but honestly the stress of having to absolutely hound the LS like we shouldn't have to deal with it.

Absolutely, something doesn't add up. I know people say you can never predict how well you've done in an exam, but if you've sat FE1s before then you can pretty reliably imo rely on your gut instinct to tell you the rough ballpark of how you've done. People's comments on here & the sheer amount of them lead me to think something has gone seriously wrong with the online platform or something seriously untoward is going on re the marking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Absolutely, something doesn't add up. I know people say you can never predict how well you've done in an exam, but if you've sat FE1s before then you can pretty reliably imo rely on your gut instinct to tell you the rough ballpark of how you've done. People's comments on here & the sheer amount of them lead me to think something has gone seriously wrong with the online platform or something seriously untoward is going on re the marking...

I think everyone should be requesting their scripts, then you can determine if any of your answers were deleted and if not you can compare them to papers of people who passed. I only got 50 in company, but I will happily post it here when I receive it so that people can compare, I obviously did the bare minimum to pass!

awsah wrote: »
    I think everyone should be requesting their scripts, then you can determine if any of your answers were deleted and if not you can compare them to papers of people who passed. I only got 50 in company, but I will happily post it here when I receive it so that people can compare, I obviously did the bare minimum to pass!

Thank you so much <3 I just feel like they won't listen to us even if it's clear as day that my 28% paper is at the same level as someone who passed. My teacher from my prep course might look at my scripts when I get them but idk how long they will take to give them to me and idk if it has any bearing if he says that I deserved to pass...

What can we do? I know we can apply for a re-check. I know the people in the FE1 section don’t mark – so they don’t have any answers. There’s only two ways the 30s are achieved by the feedback on here.
    A. Failing and KNOWING you failed
    B. The examiner not tallying up marks correctly or missing entire questions in normal circumstances. This is revealed in the re-check/script viewing.

Surely if (B) was the case due to the system not logging answers or something, the examiner would have caught on there were so many epic fails? Maybe they chalked it up to students doing the online method first time/pandemic stress and did not question it?

Throwing in the online format and it being the first exam of the bunch just throws a wrench into the mix. There has to be a way to get answers what has happened. It will be interesting to see what the scripts look like. I haven’t said anything regarding this to them because I’m waiting for the script.But leave it to the Law Society when that happens to throw something else into the mix that leaves us with more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

What can we do? I know we can apply for a re-check. I know the people in the FE1 section don’t mark – so they don’t have any answers. There’s only two ways the 30s are achieved by the feedback on here.
    B. The examiner not tallying up marks correctly or missing entire questions in normal circumstances. This is revealed in the re-check/script viewing.

Surely if (B) was the case due to the system not logging answers or something, the examiner would have caught on there were so many epic fails? Maybe they chalked it up to students doing the online method first time/pandemic stress and did not question it?

Throwing in the online format and it being the first exam of the bunch just throws a wrench into the mix. There has to be a way to get answers what has happened. It will be interesting to see what the scripts look like. I haven’t said anything regarding this to them because I’m waiting for the script.But leave it to the Law Society when that happens to throw something else into the mix that leaves us with more questions than answers.

For me it sounds like the examiners were not told of any issues in the online format like the site crashing and the logging people out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jackson44

Anyone looking to swap manuals DM me, looking for Property, EU, Company and Contract.
    I have the 4 other manuals to trade.

Even if someone only have 1 of the other manuals happy to send you all that I have.

Thanks.

Jackson44 wrote: »
    Anyone looking to swap manuals DM me, looking for Property, EU, Company and Contract.
    I have the 4 other manuals to trade.

Even if someone only have 1 of the other manuals happy to send you all that I have.

Thanks.

I have EU and Company, I can send you a PDF, or if you want to pay for postage il send you the physical manual, I want them gone! pm me anyway if you want them, there are from the summer 2020 Griffith college course

Ya I mean, even if someone got back their script and there were two questions deleted, what are the law society going to do about it, absolutely nothing if their past behaviour is anything to go by and if someone is looking to start black hall in sept they don't have time to fight it

I too am happy to send my Equity (53) & Company (50) scripts to anyone who wants them for comparison. If the Law Soc won't help provide any transparency then guess we have to take it into our own hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

You would think, as a matter of policy, just for one or two sittings, they might actually be more lenient considering the difficult circumstances and perhaps be a bit more forgiving with the markings.

Never in a million years did I think they might actually be much tougher. It's kind of bizarre. I just had a look through the Fe1 threads during the result period of previous years and this is definitely the worst people have done.

You would think, as a matter of policy, just for one or two sittings, they might actually be more lenient considering the difficult circumstances and perhaps be a bit more forgiving with the markings.

Never in a million years did I think they might actually be much tougher. It's kind of bizarre. I just had a look through the Fe1 threads during the result period of previous years and this is definitely the worst people have done.

Yeah I asked my cousin if she heard of stuff like this going on before and it doesn't seem that she has. She finished her FE1s a while ago. Something so wrong and so wrong that we have to study again for something we think we passed and it's too much on top of our other exams in March. Also very stressful trying to get to the bottom of this however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

NewFe1 wrote: »
    I will be calling them tomorrow and explaining to them about how many people cannot make sense of their results. I'll ask if there was any issues with the online system that we were not told of. I'm also asking what the re-check process actually includes and asking for them to viewed by an external examiner.

I am going to make it very clear to them that there is a worrying about of students in the same position here and that simply not answering our calls/emails or giving a 2 minute re-check won't work. I'll make sure they know that we won't be going away without knowing exactly what has gone here as it makes no sense.

Do update us and let us know how that goes. I'm utterly bewildered having failed property and equity. And I can't face sitting 7 exams in March...

I feel unfortunately because that requires common sense, something which The Law Society appear to abhor using.

NewFe1 wrote: »
    I will be calling them tomorrow and explaining to them about how many people cannot make sense of their results. I'll ask if there was any issues with the online system that we were not told of. I'm also asking what the re-check process actually includes and asking for them to viewed by an external examiner.

I am going to make it very clear to them that there is a worrying about of students in the same position here and that simply not answering our calls/emails or giving a 2 minute re-check won't work. I'll make sure they know that we won't be going away without knowing exactly what has gone here as it makes no sense.

You are a hero! We all need to get on board as there is strength in numbers and it is not okay for them to fob us off like they tried to do to me on the phone. I was told if the examiner says thats my grade then tough.. no explanation. Unbelievable we have to deal with this when we have other exams to study for and that's stressful enough and sickening that this could add a year on to my life if I don't start in September. I'm not doing the hybrid as I heard it's ****e.

Do update us and let us know how that goes. I'm utterly bewildered having failed property and equity. And I can't face sitting 7 exams in March...

So so weird that so many people failed property that never happens... Also the worst thing is if I knew I failed I would have mentally prepared since coming out of the exam in November to repeat but I thought it went well. You almost always know when you take it especially if you've done FE1s before.

Went digging in the archives of older FE1 threads and it seems the majority experience is if people got 30s in Company knowing full well they deserved more theres usually a marking error. Here’s hoping if there was tech errors the screen share recorded our typing. Regardless of the re-check outcome, going forward I’m going to screen capture each answer before submitting.

One example of many I read:

“Hi All,

Just wanted to share a good news story. I sat Company in March this year and got 36%. Couldn't believe it as felt confident coming out of the exam that I at least should have passed (passed all other 7 exams first time).

I decided to stick with my instinct and get it re-checked.......

The re-checks are out today and I passed...Can't believe it.

Moral of the story - stick with your gut and if you feel you should have passed, go for the re-check. Everyone I spoke to said that I'd never be brought up by that amount...

Blackhall here I come...!!”

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    So so weird that so many people failed property that never happens... Also the worst thing is if I knew I failed I would have mentally prepared since coming out of the exam in November to repeat but I thought it went well. You almost always know when you take it especially if you've done FE1s before.

Exactly. I sat equity, property and contract with the aim of sitting the other 5 in March (incredibly foolish I know). And came out of contract with 65 and equity and property with 42, yet property was my strongest subject in college. Makes you just feel like a fool having felt it went really well only to fail, definitely reconsidering a career as a solicitor now...

Went digging in the archives of older FE1 threads and it seems the majority experience is if people got 30s in Company knowing full well they deserved more theres usually a marking error. Here’s hoping if there was tech errors the screen share recorded our typing. Regardless of the re-check outcome, going forward I’m going to screen capture each answer before submitting.

One example of many I read:

“Hi All,

Just wanted to share a good news story. I sat Company in March this year and got 36%. Couldn't believe it as felt confident coming out of the exam that I at least should have passed (passed all other 7 exams first time).

I decided to stick with my instinct and get it re-checked.......

The re-checks are out today and I passed...Can't believe it.

Moral of the story - stick with your gut and if you feel you should have passed, go for the re-check. Everyone I spoke to said that I'd never be brought up by that amount...

Blackhall here I come...!!”

Thank you so much for this! How does your man manage to be so drastically off though? I know I got at least 20% more than I was given. How does this happen a lot and they know and its still happening? I think they did record our exams btw but I remember exactly which qs I answered for the two I failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Hi,
    Does anyone have notes on the Case Note Q for Constitutional, am willing to pay.
    Regards
    Gus

Exactly. I sat equity, property and contract with the aim of sitting the other 5 in March (incredibly foolish I know). And came out of contract with 65 and equity and property with 42, yet property was my strongest subject in college. Makes you just feel like a fool having felt it went really well only to fail, definitely reconsidering a career as a solicitor now...

I totally understand and if I was starting off this ****ery would put me off too but, get them both rechecked if you have the money and 65 is an unbelievable result in a subject that is supposed to be 2nd hardest to pass! Think of the money you've spent so far and if you want to just sit one or two this time around to take it easy then maybe sit EU and something else more chill. The only thing keeping me here is the disgusting amount of money I've spent on exam fees and prep courses and the 4 I've passed.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear people are planning on contacting the law soc tomorrow to find out what on earth happened - if I were you I'd also be sounding off about the mark schemes (or lack thereof) and saying that some of this confusion could be alleviated if they were to issue us with these elusive documents. Let us know what responses you receive.

Advertisement