Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

Hey folks,

Would anybody be able to either send me on a copy of the Company Law Exam Paper for November 2020 or, if they can recall its contents, what questions came up?

Thanks in advance :)

From memory: essay q on director's duties, prob q on director's duties/restriction, prob q on separate legal personality, prob q on share transfer, prob q on shareholder oppression, essay q on corp authority and 2 others that I can't remember but one of them was on some aspect of winding up.

Corporate Borrowing didn't come up last time so it should come up this time and SLP didn't come up in March 2020 which is unusual so if you're lucky the essay q on Salomon and Salmon will come up.

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good EU notes on FMOG? for some reason I just cannot get my brain to understand all the case law on MEQR's and art 34.. I have some sample answers for EU, Tort Contract or Criminal or exam papers/reports to swap. If you can help me understand EU law i will sell you my soul honestly

That's how I felt about judicial review in EU law.. the horror. I ended up passing thank god. MEQRs are basically just a restriction that makes free movement more difficult and it has to be justified? I get what you mean though FMOG is kinda split into different sections. That was the last q I answered and I ran out of time and got 60 so it's probably the least harshly marked paper so don't worry too much! 2 of my other qs were all over the gaf in that exam too lol. I actually no longer have my notes but if you want to dm me qs I'll try answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    That's how I felt about judicial review in EU law.. the horror. I ended up passing thank god. MEQRs are basically just a restriction that makes free movement more difficult and it has to be justified? I get what you mean though FMOG is kinda split into different sections. That was the last q I answered and I ran out of time and got 60 so it's probably the least harshly marked paper so don't worry too much! 2 of my other qs were all over the gaf in that exam too lol. I actually no longer have my notes but if you want to dm me qs I'll try answer!

I understand what a MEQR actually is and how it has to be justified by a derogation in art 36 but its when the manual starts talking about distinctly vs indistinctly applicable rules, the cassis case and the keck categories that it loses me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Does anyone have any good EU notes on FMOG? for some reason I just cannot get my brain to understand all the case law on MEQR's and art 34.. I have some sample answers for EU, Tort Contract or Criminal or exam papers/reports to swap. If you can help me understand EU law i will sell you my soul honestly

I don't know if these are any good to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

awsah wrote: »
    I don't know if these are any good to you...

Honestly every little helps thank you so much for this! Not sure why EU law just goes right over my head. I'm on my last 2 exams and I've never done either of them before in college etc and honestly finding EU so difficult conceptually whilst I'm finding equity easy enough to understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

If you want to send me your email I have pretty good (but quite condensed) notes on MEQR’s that I can send you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maewest19

Hey guys, just reading back over the posts regarding the Company exam. I am in the same position as a lot of you, in that I got 32% in an exam that I was positive that I had passed, and was confident of having done well in. Company was actually my last FE1, and I am familiar enough with these exams to know what it is needed to pass.
    At this point, I am beyond angry with the Law Society and their total ineptitude. As someone mentioned earlier, if they cannot handle the monopoly, they should not have it. It is very clear that their system is intensely flawed, and it is the FE1 candidates that are suffering, both mentally and financially.
    I feel that we all need to really come together on this Company law issue (and possibly Equity too, from reading the comments), as it is clear that there is something very wrong here. I have requested my paper under GDPR and I am going to write an email to every single email address I can find that is associated with the FE1 section and lay out all my grievances. I would encourage anyone else who is feeling the same level of frustration and confusion to do the same thing! The only way to deal with this crowd of incompetents is to flood them with requests, and make it too difficult to ignore. I'm not sure if there is something to be said for maybe putting together a sample email and allowing people to simply type their names at the end and send it off? Its the same idea as a petition, but possibly harder to ignore if their email inboxes are getting flooded with the same email from different people, as opposed to one petition that they can simply stick in a spam folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

In general did people pass constitutional? Trying to figure out if it was just me shocked with the outcome of this exam

maewest19 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just reading back over the posts regarding the Company exam. I am in the same position as a lot of you, in that I got 32% in an exam that I was positive that I had passed, and was confident of having done well in. Company was actually my last FE1, and I am familiar enough with these exams to know what it is needed to pass.
    At this point, I am beyond angry with the Law Society and their total ineptitude. As someone mentioned earlier, if they cannot handle the monopoly, they should not have it. It is very clear that their system is intensely flawed, and it is the FE1 candidates that are suffering, both mentally and financially.
    I feel that we all need to really come together on this Company law issue (and possibly Equity too, from reading the comments), as it is clear that there is something very wrong here. I have requested my paper under GDPR and I am going to write an email to every single email address I can find that is associated with the FE1 section and lay out all my grievances. I would encourage anyone else who is feeling the same level of frustration and confusion to do the same thing! The only way to deal with this crowd of incompetents is to flood them with requests, and make it too difficult to ignore. I'm not sure if there is something to be said for maybe putting together a sample email and allowing people to simply type their names at the end and send it off? Its the same idea as a petition, but possibly harder to ignore if their email inboxes are getting flooded with the same email from different people, as opposed to one petition that they can simply stick in a spam folder?

Company and equity were the two I failed as well! I failed company horribly scoring in the 20s when I thought I passed and came out happy.. Like you I'm comfortable enough with these and have passed 4. I was wondering did you pass your other 7 on the first try? Also did you ever hear of this happening in previous sittings? It seems that there was a lot of failure in every subject except EU and criminal which I didn't hear an overwhelming amount about. Honestly at a loss for what I'm gonna do now. I don't understand company law and was so happy we got a nice paper and I would have mentally prepared to repeat if I thought I failed in November because you usually know on the day. There is some level of bs going on here and my emails have been ignored and I was completely fobbed off on the phone. I know they've prob been bombarded but they need to maybe write one email and send it to everyone who sat FE1s in November and people who didn't fail any can ignore it. This is insanity.

jus_me wrote: »
    In general did people pass constitutional? Trying to figure out if it was just me shocked with the outcome of this exam

I've seen loads of people say they failed it which is terrifying as constitutional and property are supposed to be my last two in March. The amount of people who failed property as well is terrifying, I thought it was supposed to be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

jus_me wrote: »

If you multiply my result by 2 I still would not have passed

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

If you multiply my result by 2 I still would not have passed

Did you feel it went well on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

I've seen loads of people say they failed it which is terrifying as constitutional and property are supposed to be my last two in March. The amount of people who failed property as well is terrifying, I thought it was supposed to be easy.

Yes I failed property and I honestly can't understand it. From what I can see from this thread the November 2020 property paper is a complete outlier in terms of results when compared to previous years and there was also a mistake on the paper!

Company and equity were the two I failed as well! I failed company horribly scoring in the 20s when I thought I passed and came out happy.. Like you I'm comfortable enough with these and have passed 4. I was wondering did you pass your other 7 on the first try? Also did you ever hear of this happening in previous sittings? It seems that there was a lot of failure in every subject except EU and criminal which I didn't hear an overwhelming amount about. Honestly at a loss for what I'm gonna do now. I don't understand company law and was so happy we got a nice paper and I would have mentally prepared to repeat if I thought I failed in November because you usually know on the day. There is some level of bs going on here and my emails have been ignored and I was completely fobbed off on the phone. I know they've prob been bombarded but they need to maybe write one email and send it to everyone who sat FE1s in November and people who didn't fail any can ignore it. This is insanity.

I have passed all other exams on the first try, so this was honestly the biggest shock! The LS are just a nightmare to deal with, and epitomise inefficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CNC1234

Hi, I'm just wondering what the Criminal exams are like and what comes up most frequently in the exams if anyone could help me out, please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

CNC1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering what the Criminal exams are like and what comes up most frequently in the exams if anyone could help me out, please :)

Criminal the examiner tends to mix topics so hard to leave much out but obviously the big offenses are always up like murder assault false imprisonment and sexual offenses !!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

maewest19 wrote: »

I failed the two of them and phoned today to say that I thought I had passed and were they marked harder than normal and CK said she hadn't heard that from any other candidate.. bull****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Does anybody think 70% of candidates that sat Property passed it this sitting? Because that's the average pass rate from previous years. I certainly don't think so, not even close, judging from this thread. If not, it means they decided to mark the exams harder during the Pandemic. The level of callousness required to pull this of is hard to contemplate.

Fe119 wrote: »
    I failed the two of them and phoned today to say that I thought I had passed and were they marked harder than normal and CK said she hadn't heard that from any other candidate.. bull****!

Nope, this is absolutely not on. They HAVE heard this, and are just trying to cover themselves here. They need to come up with a solution, not us. There is very clearly an issue with the marking of certain FE1 subjects, and as we are paying to efficiently run these exams, they have an obligation to ensure this is done.

If you're talking about C*rmel I was literally on the phone to her and I literally said the same thing....... how stupid do they actually think we are? It's really insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Does anybody think 70% of candidates that sat Property passed it this sitting? Because that's the average pass rate from previous years. I certainly don't think so, not even close, judging from this thread. If not, it means they decided to mark the exams harder during the Pandemic. The level of callousness required to pull this of is hard to contemplate.

Well, not to sound rude, but I think people who passed subjects are less likely to say so especially when there is unfortunately a lot of unhappy people who didn't pass. People are more likely to speak of a negative rather than a positive, or maybe I'm wrong on that but that's my observation.

I got 55 in Property, answered 5 questions quite well I thought. The only 1 that threw me off was the Adverse Possession problem Q with the mistake in the year allowing a dead man to arrive at his old site for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Well, not to sound rude, but I think people who passed subjects are less likely to say so especially when there is unfortunately a lot of unhappy people who didn't pass. People are more likely to speak of a negative rather than a positive, or maybe I'm wrong on that but that's my observation.

I got 55 in Property, answered 5 questions quite well I thought. The only 1 that threw me off was the Adverse Possession problem Q with the mistake in the year allowing a dead man to arrive at his old site for a visit.

Yes I think you are right but still I think it was marked a lot harder. There was someone who said on this thread they thought it was the best exam they had ever done and came out with a mark in the 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

IgoPAP wrote: »

Tbh I’ve only seen of maybe 10 that failed property

But I do think they have been marked harder

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

If you're talking about C*rmel I was literally on the phone to her and I literally said the same thing....... how stupid do they actually think we are? It's really insulting.

Shocking! I'm going to email Paula Sheedy, as the Education Officer I believe she has the power to forward concerns to the Education Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

I cannot wait to protest outside of Blackhall Place once vaccines have been rolled out.

I'll be the guy standing there with "SHOW US THE MARKING SCHEME" written on a giant sheet of cardboard.

Shocking! I'm going to email Paula Sheedy, as the Education Officer I believe she has the power to forward concerns to the Education Committee

Nah I actually can't with CK she pure wrecks my buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LawLearnin

CNC1234 wrote: »

The topics are fairly mixed together for the problem questions but the examiner reports for Criminal are surprisingly thorough (relative to FE1s, I mean) in outlining what they expect to be covered in the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 law1234567

Does anyone have an updated criminal grid, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lawyerly101020

TCPIP wrote: »
    Hello all. I was thinking a while back about how the Law Society is incredibly vague on actual data that pertains to the results of the exams such as pass rates and average results so I wanted to try and compile my own data set. Obviously, if I just use my own results it won't be much of a sample so I created a Google form in the hope some other people might be willing to share their results. You can find it below:

This form is totally anonymous and I cannot see any data beyond the result a person submits. I am hopeful that if I got about a hundred replies per subject it would be a decent sample and probably give us an indication of the curve that each subject uses.

The results of the survey will be shared on my own website and I'll obviously share them here when that happens. I would also appreciate it if this could be shared in any Facebook groups, group chats, or just with other people who sat the exams in November to try and get as many replies as possible.

If you have any questions just lemme know!

Yes, I have a question! Why haven't you released the data on pass rates and average grades that you collated? I had a look there and you are no longer accepting submissions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Yes, I have a question! Why haven't you released the data on pass rates and average grades that you collated? I had a look there and you are no longer accepting submissions.

It was an elaborate Law Society psy-op. 5-D chess.

Advertisement