Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

ShyMets wrote: »
    With his business interests and media work it was never going to an explosive memoir. Too many people to keep sweet.

Now a tell all biography from Diarmuid Connolly would be worth a read. But I dont think that will ever happen

That would be a good read. His work with Boyle sports this year was very good. I reckon he would make a good pundit but maybe too blunt for the TV folks to take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think the market for these books is small enough so we are unlikely to really read about the juicy gossip behind the stories we have heard about not really worth the upset it would cause here and there so most of these books will stay more or less the same i think .I never expect anything in them that will come as shock to the readers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Paddy Andrews retired according to links on Twitter. A nice quiet player who just got on with the job and gave tireless service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Paddy Andrews retired according to links on Twitter. A nice quiet player who just got on with the job and gave tireless service.

A very good forward in his prime who was probably a little underrated.

Leaves with 7 All Ireland medals. Not a bad haul.

Enjoy retirement Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fann Linn wrote: »

One of the last of the "old school" style players left. No nonsense and teak tough. Even in recent years, any time he came off the bench he was always good for a point or 2 and just give the defence another headache. Some player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Leaves with 8 All Ireland medals. Not a bad haul.

Enjoy retirement Paddy

I'm sure someone with a better knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong but does he have 8?

Not sure he was there in 2011 so I have it that he has the 6 in a row plus 2013 for 7 AI. "Only" 7 :pac:

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm sure someone with a better knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong but does he have 8?

Not sure he was there in 2011 so I have it that he has the 6 in a row plus 2013 for 7 AI. "Only" 7 :pac:

Your right. My mistake. He wasn't involved in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Leaves with 8 All Ireland medals. Not a bad haul.

Enjoy retirement Paddy

A find player but Dublin are so strong at present that retirements make no difference at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

With his business interests and media work it was never going to an explosive memoir. Too many people to keep sweet.

Now a tell all biography from Diarmuid Connolly would be worth a read. But I dont think that will ever happen

I’m not a Dub, nor necessarily a Dublin fan, but I really enjoyed the book. Maybe because I’m. It as heavily invested as others here, but his dedication and battle against the “fading of the light” really peaked my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

For those of a certain vintage who would like to be tortured from Dublin. Or those that would like cheering up from Meath. Or even those who just want to hear about the take of those involved in a great four game saga.

Dublin v Meath 'The Royal Battle' programme about the four in a row Preliminary Round, back in 1991.

Interestingly Vinnie Murphy still seemed very sore about Dave Foran being played at full forward in the first game. Said he should have been given 20mins by Paddy Cullen at Full Forward instead of the corner. As a young fella he said it drained his confidence a bit.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

thesultan wrote: »
    Very little insight into the real going on of the team.. Very bland at times.. The bunker to the DCU gym..

I thought it was good, and decent enough insight. I think people have an idea that its more complex than it actually is.

The most striking parts of it for me were how he was trying to second guess what Jim Gavin was thinking about him towards the end of his career, would he get game time or wouldnt he.

I read the Jackie Tyrrell book recently, and there were similarities with Tyrrell trying to second guess what Cody was thinking.

The other thing - I'd say this is fair- is the idea is that this team has gone on a bit of journey to get to where it is today, that started to some degree under Pillar Caffrey and then under Gilroy, and continued on Gavin. To put it differently, I'm not sure if Gavin had take over the Dubs team of 2004 that he'd have turned them into world beaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

One other thing - people often give out about sports books being bland - for me its important that they are accessible to a young (ish) audience. I'd be quite happy for a 12 year to read Bernard Brogans book or say Brian ODriscolls book, which a lot of people gave out about; not sure if I'd give them Roy Keanes book or Paul McGrath's book. The Philly McMahon one, possibly I would, its a really outstanding read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Most of all GAA ones follow a similar dull pattern
    The heavy training
    The characters
    The Banter etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Is it true a journalist connected to the Dublin panel has said to expect more retirements over the coming days? Was mentioned on a football podcast here in Cavan when they were discussing the All Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭MFPM

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Is it true a journalist connected to the Dublin panel has said to expect more retirements over the coming days? Was mentioned on a football podcast here in Cavan when they were discussing the All Stars.

MDMA will probably go, Rory O'Carroll too, he took too long out of the game and hasn't been anywhere near where he was, I'm amazed he made any squads but he's nowhere near the team. McMenamin may do something similar to Daly and retire but go into the backroom team. Cian O'Sullivan may go once more unless the injuries are too much. You'd think Cluxton will do one more year because of the short season.

Looking at Micks Twitter feed he has retired. What a contribution he has made to this great team. Enjoy the retirement Mick.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Looking at Micks Twitter feed he has retired. What a contribution he has made to this great team. Enjoy the retirement Mick.

Confirmed on Dublin GAA twitter. A great player who was one of my favorites on the team. And who's somewhat unorthodox style could be brilliant and infuriating in the same game. Thanks for the memories

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

MDMA hes about 2 years late retiring. Became a massive liability in recent years. Incredible man off the field with the work he is doing in the Inner City

• Advertisement

but1er wrote: »
    MDMA hes about 2 years late retiring. Became a massive liability in recent years. Incredible man off the field with the work he is doing in the Inner City

Great post on the day a legend retires!!! He was never a liability. Was a massive influence in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Great post on the day a legend retires!!! He was never a liability. Was a massive influence in the squad.

I don't think he got enough credit for this. No player likes to lose but Macauley was incredible in how pushed himself when things got tough. No doubt he set the template for the lads younger than him.

He's certainly no Brian Fenton in terms of his ball playing but he was no less important.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MDMA was never one for scoring points and goals, but his presence on the field was consistently disruptive to the other team's flow. He also worked hard, you'd see him at the Dublin goal defending and ten seconds later charging to the other end of the field to help set up a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MDMA and O'Gara were two of the most ungainly Dublin players for a very long time. However, that actually made them valuable because they were different. When something wasn't working, and the opposition were succeeding in stopping the normal flow of Dublin football, they offered something different that would disrupt the opposition and allow Dublin to win by other means.

The current team may be lacking that sort of Plan B that they offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

McAuley was a tremendous player and character in the squad and will be missed, always gave his all and he was immense in 2013. I think the knee injuries took their toll in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

seamus wrote:
    MDMA was never one for scoring points and goals, but his presence on the field was consistently disruptive to the other team's flow. He also worked hard, you'd see him at the Dublin goal defending and ten seconds later charging to the other end of the field to help set up a score.

I'll always remember him winning that ball from cluxtons kick out v kerry in the 2013 AI semi that led to Kevin mcs goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Also had a great game v mayo in th 2016 replay when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Mannion sitting out next year now

F*ck knows if he's gonna come back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll always remember him winning that ball from cluxtons kick out v kerry in the 2013 AI semi that led to Kevin mcs goal

I really should treat myself to watching that game again this weekend.

I remember horsing it up from Electric Picnic that morning, going to the game after a snooze in my apartment and then a lift straight back down to Stradbally right after.

Walking through the campsite on my way back to my tent, I met a lad in a Kerry shirt and I asked him what did he think of that. He misheard me and thought I'd asked the result. He starts all this "Look at yer man in the jersey and doesn't know the score etc" in that condescending manner they've perfected...

"I was at the fúcking game you dose"

He went puce!

I then went in to see MØ, followed by The Knife, iirc.

Quality day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Mannion sitting out next year now

F*ck knows if he's gonna come back

Just seen this now that's a big blow!

Advertisement