Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

SeaFields wrote: »
    If this is April fools it is in very very poor taste. People are sick sh!t of Covid and restrictions etc. But a county team to be at that? Seriously?! FFS.

IT has to be an April's fool I'd say. They would never be that blatant. I'd lose total respect for them if it was true. In poor taste alright for a prank

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I’ll wait for Marty, standing by a body of water as he usually does, to confirm if this is true. It’s a shame to say that people’s trust in journalism has fallen to such an extent that they would have doubts over the truth of the story. It does seem a very odd day to publish it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I’ll wait for Marty, standing by a body of water as he usually does, to confirm if this is true. It’s a shame to say that people’s trust in journalism has fallen to such an extent that they would have doubts over the truth of the story. It does seem a very odd day to publish it however.

I believe it, I just don't care...

Worse going on up and down the country.

This threatening the return line is such BS, there would be more risk from players working /with kids in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭dk1982

Not a piece of Dublin kit in sight. Amazed they got caught after going to such extreme lengths to go incognito....idiots!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

If it is genuine and unfortunately it does look to be the case then you have to ask what in God's name where they thinking and was it sanctioned by Dublin Management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dk1982 wrote: »
    Not a piece of Dublin kit in sight. Amazed they got caught after going to such extreme lengths to go incognito....idiots!!!

Clowns and unprofessional if true. Just a day after HQ reiterated updated reminder. Totally wrong and unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Kerry TD's call for them to be thrown out of the All Ireland.

Give someone else a chance to win it.

;);) not true

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paddy3

While not condoning it at all and they they definitely broke the spirt of the guidlines/rules of both the state and GAA. Of the players I recognise they were all within 5km of their homes, Glasnevin, Raheny, Whitehall....... No management, no county board rep , no Dublin gear
    I see loads of people train together, running, cycling, soccer. A group.of lads have decided to do some training together.
    Bad PR, bad idea, definitely, break the rules as they are written. I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

Any confirmation if this is true or not i need to know whether i should be outraged or laugh?

Paddy3 wrote: »
    While not condoning it at all and they they definitely broke the spirt of the guidlines/rules of both the state and GAA. Of the players I recognise they were all within 5km of their homes, Glasnevin, Raheny, Whitehall....... No management, no county board rep , no Dublin gear
    I see loads of people train together, running, cycling, soccer. A group.of lads have decided to do some training together.
    Bad PR, bad idea, definitely, break the rules as they are written. I'm not so sure

Clearly broke the rules, they are training not even just having a kick about which would also be against the rules, and are doing so the day after the gaa releases a statement reminding players that it is imperative they do not return to training before the 19th as it is against the rules and has the potential to put the return to football in jeopardy.

Selfish exceptionalism from those lads. So disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Wonder was there other groups elsewhere, you’d assume there probably was

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

dk1982 wrote: »

According to the article they turned up in their sponsored cars!! To quote comic book guy in the Simpsons Worst camouflage ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paddy3

Clearly broke the rules, they are training not even just having a kick about which would also be against the rules, and are doing so the day after the gaa releases a statement reminding players that it is imperative they do not return to training before the 19th as it is against the rules and has the potential to put the return to football in jeopardy.

Selfish exceptionalism from those lads. So disappointing.

If a group of adults who kick a ball about whether in drills or not is breaking the rules(and maybe it is) then I see this all the time. On the face of it there was no officials there. The perception is bad, no doubt, were they wrong, yes. However define training in terms of the rules as they are written. They will probably get a deserved suspension and they will probably accept it but my gut says if they appealed it, they would win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am not a Dublin supporter but I think the Irish Independent are really petty.

Let the lads train away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

April Fools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

If it is true (and not one of the saddest April Fools attempts of all time) ,genuinely who gives a sh1t.

They were just the unlucky ones to get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭spakman

Bringing the GAA into disrepute. There should be serious suspensions arising from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

If a group of adults who kick a ball about whether in drills or not is breaking the rules(and maybe it is) then I see this all the time. On the face of it there was no officials there. The perception is bad, no doubt, were they wrong, yes. However define training in terms of the rules as they are written. They will probably get a deserved suspension and they will probably accept it but my gut says if they appealed it, they would win

The article says different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I think its breaking the rules. Who allowed access to GAA pitch? If they weren't breaking any rules why aren't club players allowed train? I've never gone for a kickabout at 7am, nor have I brought cones with me. I read somewhere else that there was someone guarding the gate.

Very hard to see this being permitted and club training, even for kids, not being allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Whether you see it all the time or if this could actually cause any more cases isnt the point.

The point is GAA HQ released a statement the day before saying

"...For that reason, it is more important than ever that no collective training sessions are held between now and the Government indicated return dates..."

So why these players thought they would be allowed to do this is mindboggling

All county GAA players in the country are in a very privileged position as in 3 weeks time they will be allowed to return to training. Yet a group of players thought they could do it early anyway.

Are other counties doing it? Maybe, probably. But we dont know that, so cant really comment on it.

These guys are absolute idiots.

• Advertisement

As per the previous responses but also when you say "kick a ball about" it implies distance and being casual. The pictures show them with multiple ball8 practicing hand passing in a circle, which is definitely training and not just a few mates happening upon each other while in a park

Probably unfair to kick the whole squad out for the championship, but i expect the nine players and coaches involved will be made an example of. Gardai will have to issue fines as well now or it will be seen as favoritism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

As a non dub in context I don't think this individual act of them training outdoors like this is a public health risk but if there treated any differently to Cork or Down who were caught previously that isn't a good look for the GAA. Also the optics of collectively training the day after the GAA released a statement asking teams not to train as it could jeopardise the situation for everybody is not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

No doubt, the GAA will be as heavy handed with the Dubs as they were with Cork and Down.

Yeah right!!

We all know different rules apply to Dublin. "All animals are equal. Some are more equal than others".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Loving the faux outrage already, glorious. Has MacKenna been triggered yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

spakman wrote: »
    Bringing the GAA into disrepute. There should be serious suspensions arising from this.

They should swear in a jury consisting of all mayo people

Slattsy wrote: »

Nothing false about it, I'm genuinely upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Slattsy wrote: »

Yep

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1377537022848606209?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They should swear in a jury consisting of all mayo people

Mayo would still fall short.

Advertisement