Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Paddy McGrath is still playing for Donegal as well but has had a couple of bad injuries over the last few years. Peter Crowley, Stephen O’Brien, Paul Murphy, Shane Enright and Jonathan Lyne were all there in 2014 as well. Tommy Walsh won one in 2009 so there are a good few from the Kerry panel that have won All Ireland’s.

Brian Kelly the current Kerry Sub goalie was in goals in 2014, I think Conor Cox who now plays with Roscommon might have also been apart of the Kerry panel that year, as I remember him playing a few leagues in 2014, but not sure was he dropped from the panel before championship. So by my reckoning there are 15 players currently playing outside of Dublin that have All Ireland medals, that’s excluding Cox because I’m not fully sure has he an All Ireland medal.
    He’s the XV of players outside of Dublin that have won an All Ireland Senior football medal.
    1 Brian Kelly
    2 Paddy McGrath
    3 Neil McGee
    4 Shane Enright
    5 Paul Murphy
    6 Peter Crowley
    7 Jonathan Lyne
    8 David Moran
    9 Tommy Walsh
    10 Ciaran Sheehan
    11 Michael Murphy
    12 Stephen O’Brien
    13 Patrick McBrearty
    14 Paul Geaney
    15 James O’Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Brian Kelly the current Kerry Sub goalie was in goals in 2014, I think Conor Cox who now plays with Roscommon might have also been apart of the Kerry panel that year, as I remember him playing a few leagues in 2014, but not sure was he dropped from the panel before championship. So by my reckoning there are 15 players currently playing outside of Dublin that have All Ireland medals, that’s excluding Cox because I’m not fully sure has he an All Ireland medal.
    He’s the XV of players outside of Dublin that have won an All Ireland Senior football medal.
    1 Brian Kelly
    2 Paddy McGrath
    3 Neil McGee
    4 Shane Enright
    5 Paul Murphy
    6 Peter Crowley
    7 Jonathan Lyne
    8 David Moran
    9 Tommy Walsh
    10 Ciaran Sheehan
    11 Michael Murphy
    12 Stephen O’Brien
    13 Patrick McBrearty
    14 Paul Geaney
    15 James O’Donoghue

Cox doesn't have an All-Ireland medal - he went to the States in 2014, nearly 100% he wasn't dropped from the panel, but opted out himself after being involved in the league. Fitzmaurice had him back involved in 2016 so I don't think there were any hard feelings on either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

As things are a bit quite on the Intercounty scene I thought I'd ask the question if anyone has a cult hero on the team of the last ten years.

For me its Eoghan O'Gara. Granted he wasn't the most skillful player, was often widely erratic with ball in hand and his disciple wasn't always the best. But he was some man for winning high ball, gave us a different attacking option up front and got some vital scores over the years.

As a friend of mine said: he'd either get a red card of a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ShyMets wrote: »
    As things are a bit quite on the Intercounty scene I thought I'd ask the question if anyone has a cult hero on the team of the last ten years.

For me its Eoghan O'Gara. Granted he wasn't the most skillful player, was often widely erratic with ball in hand and his disciple wasn't always the best. But he was some man for winning high ball, gave us a different attacking option up front and got some vital scores over the years.

The era of the cult hero is over but mine was O'Gara, you knew he was likely to flatten a full back or blast a sitter wide but he was going to do something you'd notice. Same with Bastick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think anybody to acquire cult hero status has to be great and terrible in the same match E O G definitely came into that category. Can't really think of anybody else in or as round the panel that you can say that about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Think anybody to acquire cult hero status has to be great and terrible in the same match E O G definitely came into that category. Can't really think of anybody else in or as round the panel that you can say that about .

I will give another two Diarmuid Connolly as a younger player in particular, and Marc Vaughan everytime he stepped on to the pitch.

Both capable of moments of genius, followed or preceded by moments of pure stupidity. Vaughan's moments of genius were extremely rare (booming free kicks etc) but was very consistent with the moments of stupidity.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I will give another two Diarmuid Connolly as a younger player in particular, and Marc Vaughan everytime he stepped on to the pitch.

Both capable of moments of genius, followed or preceded by moments of pure stupidity. Vaughan's moments of genius were extremely rare (booming free kicks etc) but was very consistent with the moments of stupidity.

Ah Marc 'Boom Boom' Vaughan. Not to be harsh on the guy. But I think he exemplified some of what was wrong with that Dublin team. Brash, mouthy and arrogant. The kind of attitude Gilroy, Gavin and Farrell wouldn't tolerate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

It has to be Connolly surely? Every GAA fan loves him. A lot of casual fans love him but would probably never admit it too. The type of lad everyone wanted on their team but also loved to hate. A genius and one of the best I've ever seen.

dobman88 wrote: »
    It has to be Connolly surely? Every GAA fan loves him. A lot of casual fans love him but would probably never admit it too. The type of lad everyone wanted on their team but also loved to hate. A genius and one of the best I've ever seen.

Yeah that Carlow game was not so long ago.

I can't think of a Kerry fella with that level of skill who people love to hate. The Gooch seems fairly sound. Paul Galvin/Kieran Donaghy I suppose but they don't have that high level of skill. Unless you count Pat Spillane for annoying people as a pundit... :D

Yeah that Carlow game was not so long ago.

I can't think of a Kerry fella with that level of skill who people love to hate. The Gooch seems fairly sound. Paul Galvin/Kieran Donaghy I suppose but they don't have that high level of skill. Unless you count Pat Spillane for annoying people as a pundit... :D

I meant loved to hate as in he would break your heart by being a game winner but you always admired him.

Not that I actually hate him. Personally, I'd have him as one of my favourite players ever tbh.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I meant loved to hate as in he would break your heart by being a game winner but you always admired him.

Not that I actually hate him. Personally, I'd have him as one of my favourite players ever tbh.

Kieran McDonald for Mayo has to be pushing number 1 in any vote countrywide though.

Plenty of times at club games in Parnell Park supporters just start laughing at Connolly scores, the level of sheer cheek in them. I can't think of another player that gets that reaction from Dublin anyway.

I wonder if you play with a less sucessful team are you more fondly remembered as your antics stand out more rather than having a pile of medals from a dominant team .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ah Marc 'Boom Boom' Vaughan. Not to be harsh on the guy. But I think he exemplified some of what was wrong with that Dublin team. Brash, mouthy and arrogant. The kind of attitude Gilroy, Gavin and Farrell wouldn't tolerate

He was full of it. No harm in having confidence though. Remember the white boots.

I wonder if you play with a less sucessful team are you more fondly remembered as your antics stand out more rather than having a pile of medals from a dominant team .

Shane Curran the former Roscommon goalkeeper comes to mind

billyhead wrote: »
    He was full of it. No harm in having confidence though. Remember the white boots.

You're correct. Nothing wrong with confidence. I'm just not convinced he had the quite talent to back it up

he was one i was trying to remember his name gas character indeed a true cult hero

he was one i was trying to remember his name gas character indeed a true cult hero

His book is gas altogether. One example I remember, he used to work in a furniture shop at one stage, had a great craic talking up a beds plus points to young couples :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LVDFXTS?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ooter

Philly would be my choice, hated by opposition players and fans but they'd have him on their team in a heartbeat.
    Well able to wind them up on and off the field.

ooter wrote: »
    Philly would be my choice, hated by opposition players and fans but they'd have him on their team in a heartbeat.
    Well able to wind them up on and off the field.

I'd disagree with hating him off the field. He's a lad doing trojan work around Ballymun, Dublin and the prison service. I've been lucky enough to meet him a handful of times and he's a complete gent. When he's playing, course I want to see him lose, but hate. Dunno, it's a strong word.

And I'd say while players probably would hate each other inside the lines, you usually see a mutual respect for opponents in interviews and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ooter

Only basing it on what I see/hear at dublin matches.
    When I said off the field I only meant the minutes around and in between a game off the field.

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Only basing it on what I see/hear at dublin matches.

Fair enough. Dont lump us all in the one box.

I remember a few fellas who looked like he were going to be cult heroes for Dublin. But injury cut their time short. One from either side of the the Liffey.

Ian Robertson full back - Ballymun, and Mark Davoren Forward - Kilmacud Crokes.

I remember a few fellas who looked like he were going to be cult heroes for Dublin. But injury cut their time short. One from either side of the the Liffey.

Ian Robertson full back - Ballymun, and Mark Davoren Forward - Kilmacud Crokes.

It was a real shame about Davoren. Had the hallmarks of a really fine player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any of yee read Brogans book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

thesultan wrote: »

Just started it today

Let me knew what you think of it?

Read it over Christmas. Not a bad read. But nothing overly controversial or any great insights into the workings of the team.

You certainly get the impression that he didn't see eye to eye with Gavin towards the end. But he doesn't throw Gavin under the bus

There's also a few plugs for his businesses thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Read it over Christmas. Not a bad read. But nothing overly controversial or any great insights into the workings of the team.

You certainly get the impression that he didn't see eye to eye with Gavin towards the end. But he doesn't throw Gavin under the bus

There's also a few plugs for his businesses thrown in

I would echo this. I read it last week and its a decent read. Not controversial or anything. Just critical of how he was dropped for the 2019 AI panel. He wanted that final swansong.

Very little insight into the real going on of the team.. Very bland at times.. The bunker to the DCU gym..

• Advertisement

Very little insight into the real going on of the team.. Very bland at times.. The bunker to the DCU gym..

With his business interests and media work it was never going to an explosive memoir. Too many people to keep sweet.

Now a tell all biography from Diarmuid Connolly would be worth a read. But I dont think that will ever happen

Advertisement