Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

salmocab wrote: »
    I think this is true of a lot of sportsmen and supporters are often guilty of taking someone’s on pitch demeanour as the type of person they are. It’s like the old women who give out to the actor who plays the coronation street villain in the shop.

I think Philly has admitted to be a completely different person in the heat of battle too hasn't he? Everyone knows his reputation on the field but his exploits off the pitch speak for themselves as to the type of selfless person he really is.

I would put MDMA in the same bucket too.

He just sounds like a jack of all trades and master of none. How many times did he do it when it really mattered for Mayo? When I think big game players from Mayo I think Keegan, McHale, Moran, Higgins, McDonald. O'Shea would not even pop into my mind as an aside.

I get what you're saying but your logic is off. You're essentially saying the only days that really matter are the all Ireland finals.

There's other games too, the majority of games actually, where he has consistently excelled and where mayo have been the second most successful team over the past decade.

That he didn't have his best days against the greatest team of all time on all Ireland final days isn't an awful shame. (I also think he didn't perform as bad as you suggest as your barometer is scoring ,his impact has always been greater elsewhere in playmaking and causing general chaos)

I would go as far as saying your comments are a sign of arrogance for a fan, you aren't been as humble as any of the Dublin players might be who have been made remember all those years where they were denied Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would go as far as saying your comments are a sign of arrogance for a fan, you aren't been as humble as any of the Dublin players might be who have been made remember all those years where they were denied Sam.

(I also think he didn't perform as bad as you suggest as your barometer is scoring ,his impact has always been greater elsewhere in playmaking and causing general chaos)

Humble/arrogance talk is moving the goal posts. I am merely questioning if AOS is not a bit overrated? He has never stood up on the big days when counted I used to say the same about Marc Vaughan or Wayne McCarthy way overhyped for what they offered and extremely inconsistent.

There was no change in vibe from Mayo against Dublin the last day when they were a man up. Mayo's most consistent player was a 20 year old - Mullin. A damn impressive player. If I was from Mayo I would be annoyed where was the O'Shea leadership? In those ten minutes when Mayo had the advantage, in particular.

It was the time to lead by example as the lauded supposed main player, and he blew it. That is not arrogant it is just my opinion. Where was the balls and fight? On field management from the senior player.

Even Ciaran Whelan back when was supposed to be Dublin's key man (lesser players around him), he tried to spark his team set an example. Upped it. I just don't see that from O'Shea. In fact I saw it from a young Mayo fella (Mullin) who is 10 years AO'S junior. Something wrong with that. Hairdo's and hype alone do not win Sam's ask Marc Vaughan. Impacting play does and consistently doing it when the chips are down.

And that is not just scoring as I already said - it means sparking and lifting a team. AOS does not seem to do that when his county needs him. A few one offs now and again when the the team was doing well is easy. It is when the team needs lifting that main men should stand up imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Humble/arrogance talk is moving the goal posts. I am merely questioning if AOS is not a bit overrated? He has never stood up on the big days when counted I used to say the same about Marc Vaughan or Wayne McCarthy way overhyped for what they offered and extremely inconsistent.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and hell I'm not going to go to much length to defend a Mayo man! But as an outsider looking in and using your metric of Dublin vs. Mayo games I would have to say if I was judging on these games Ciaran Kilkenny would be in the lower levels of players "influencing" a game. Up until half time no score in 4 and a half games against Mayo? Barely saw him in the first half the last day. Only for Paddy Durcan going off would he of had any influence?

Now. Ciaran Kilkenny is one of the modern greats. The closest thing the Gaa has to a modern day NFL quarter-back the way he can dictate a game. His performances against Mayo have little influence my opinion. Teams set up to nullify the big players.

Anyway I'm sure Dublin fans have better things to talk about like U20 football final or the upcoming U20 hurling final.

I'll leave the Mayo lads fight their own battles. Not like they aren't fond of one.

• Advertisement

moghrasa wrote: »
    I just don't see why you can't just enjoy your county winning the All Ireland without having to comment on other counties players, or calling the supporters of the county ye beat bitter. Surely you've enough positives to focus on without going looking for negatives.

Would you ever go away out of that. That’s new levels of absolute rot.

If a GAA fan can’t have an opinion on any GAA player then you lot really have reached new levels of ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Would you ever go away out of that. That’s new levels of absolute rot.

If a GAA fan can’t have an opinion on any GAA player then you lot really have reached new levels of ridiculous.
    Settle down pal. I'll not stand in the way of ye True Gaels going in on O'Shea anymore if you really get so much fun out of it

moghrasa wrote: »
    Settle down pal.

:D Great tactics there rather than sticking to the subject or at least trying to argue the point. Then again, maybe you’ve just realised how ridiculous it was.

“Settle down pal” as a reply :D:D Good Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So what's the general consensus on Dessie Farrell's first season in charge then?

I wasn't sure how things would go at the start I have to say but I think he's starting to put his own stamp on things.

I do hope he finds a proper place in the team for Howard and even Mannion though they're far too good to be on the bench for the majority of games. Howard changed the game for us in the second half of the final Dessie got lucky in that sense.

I think Paddy small is a great option and made a really good impression at times off of the back of his club season. He faded out of things in the second half of the championship for me though I would of rather Mannion had of started at least one or two games.

Looking back on last season Paul was insane at times some of his scores were almost unbelievable at times so was a shame to see him go backwards this year.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and hell I'm not going to go to much length to defend a Mayo man! But as an outsider looking in and using your metric of Dublin vs. Mayo games I would have to say if I was judging on these games Ciaran Kilkenny would be in the lower levels of players "influencing" a game. Up until half time no score in 4 and a half games against Mayo? Barely saw him in the first half the last day. Only for Paddy Durcan going off would he of had any influence?

Now. Ciaran Kilkenny is one of the modern greats. The closest thing the Gaa has to a modern day NFL quarter-back the way he can dictate a game. His performances against Mayo have little influence my opinion. Teams set up to nullify the big players.

Anyway I'm sure Dublin fans have better things to talk about like U20 football final or the upcoming U20 hurling final.

I'll leave the Mayo lads fight their own battles. Not like they aren't fond of one.

Ok yeah the Paddy Durcan argument is fair enough. But CK did finish with 3 points from play. Plus he is busy on the pitch and knits play together. I can visualise that sideways run towards the side-line he constantly makes looking for space and recycling the ball. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but wasn't he the lynchpin metronome who kept the whole thing ticking over in the 2018 AI v Tyrone? For example influencing play and bringing others into the game constantly

• Advertisement

So what's the general consensus on Dessie Farrell's first season in charge then?

I wasn't sure how things would go at the start I have to say but I think he's starting to put his own stamp on things.

I do hope he finds a proper place in the team for Howard and even Mannion though they're far too good to be on the bench for the majority of games. Howard changed the game for us in the second half of the final Dessie got lucky in that sense.

I think Paddy small is a great option and made a really good impression at times off of the back of his club season. He faded out of things in the second half of the championship for me though I would of rather Mannion had of started at least one or two games.

Looking back on last season Paul was insane at times some of his scores were almost unbelievable at times so was a shame to see him go backwards this year.

Impossible to properly judge Farrell until he gets at least a normal year and a half under his belt. Having to make pressure calls etc.
    But he has made ballsy selections already keeping McDaid and Bugler starting. Throwing Paddy Small in and having faith in him. Benching Howard.

It will take 4/5 years before it is no longer 'Jim's Team' though as Dessie or who ever is new manager have to let the old guard go.

I am not sure Mannion has been the same player since Crokes were beaten by Mullinalaghta? Maybe I am oversimplifying it? Is it a confidence thing or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Small is good. Only minor gripe I would have is that he tends to take marks even where the play is opening up towards the goal.

I don't like the mark anyway, and don't really see it as adding anything to Dublin's arsenal. Be interesting to see stats on how many they have taken and how many scores have resulted.

I'd imagine it is quite low. Monaghan seemed to have adopted it quicker than many teams last year - remember the game in clones - and no harm to them they hardly thrived on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 revelino70

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there a link anywhere for the Dublin v Mayo 2019 semifinal? A picture of the Back to the Future deLorean won't do...

salmocab wrote: »
    I think this is true of a lot of sportsmen and supporters are often guilty of taking someone’s on pitch demeanour as the type of person they are. It’s like the old women who give out to the actor who plays the coronation street villain in the shop.

I'd agree, and anyone who's played the game would recognize it. On the pitch you're fired up and sometimes do stupid things in the heat of the moment, the ugliness comes out with the adrenaline pumping. All the same, I still think cillian o'connor is an unpleasant character, there's something about his demeanor that suggests hes very pleased with himself despite having nothing to show for it. Not having a pop at Mayo, just him in particular.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There are Mayo players that I would have great admiration for. Higgins, Moran, Parsons in particular. Others I wouldn't particularly but that's just superficial on my part, based on no more than watching them in matches and developing an irrational dislike!

I have to say too that some of the stuff about Aidan O'Shea over past two days is borderline unacceptable. I generally like Brolly but claiming that AOS "a footballer he is not" is below the belt stuff. Likewise that photo which is great moment in time shot but has become a vehicle for others to abuse him.

I don't think anyone deserves that sort of stuff. I remember one former big name - not a Dub or Mayoman - who said that while he enjoyed meeting former players there were a few that he would cross the street if he saw them coming against him. not Dubs or Mayomen either.

That's kind of sad. Well, it is sad. Imagine being remembered by a former opponent as someone they would pass in the street, rather than being able to exchange a few words. Anyway, that's the sort of thing old people come to ponder!

Absolutely right. Aidan o'shea has comeup short, but it's not from lack of effort on the field. Brolly is stirring the pot for his own gain, a bit like Dunphy. Occasionally he'll come up with a valid point but its mostly for his own gain at this stage. And I would venture most county panels have a small handful that other lads would cross the street from. There's a whole lot of stories out there could be told if you had a decent solicitor ðŸ˜

Impossible to properly judge Farrell until he gets at least a normal year and a half under his belt. Having to make pressure calls etc.
    But he has made ballsy selections already keeping McDaid and Bugler starting. Throwing Paddy Small in and having faith in him. Benching Howard.

It will take 4/5 years before it is no longer 'Jim's Team though as Dessie or who ever is new manager have to let the old guard go.

I am not sure Mannion has been the same player since Crokes were beaten by Mullinalaghta? Maybe I am oversimplifying it? Is it a confidence thing or what?

Yea it wasn't a great year for him performance-wise he's been in and out the team for different reasons. Saying that I taught when it got to the stage of the game where Paddy Small was starting to show his lack of maturity either Mannion or Costello sometimes both would come on and settle things down upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Question - How many players outside Dublin who are currently playing have All-Ireland medals. Kerry/Donegal/Cork/ Tyrone? Don't know myself, I'd say none from Tyrone or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

muddle84 wrote: »
    I think Philly has admitted to be a completely different person in the heat of battle too hasn't he? Everyone knows his reputation on the field but his exploits off the pitch speak for themselves as to the type of selfless person he really is.

I would put MDMA in the same bucket too.

His exploits off the pitch benefit him first and foremost. Wouldn't be a fan of how he conducts himself on or off the pitch myself.

I get what you're saying but your logic is off. You're essentially saying the only days that really matter are the all Ireland finals.

There's other games too, the majority of games actually, where he has consistently excelled and where mayo have been the second most successful team over the past decade.

That he didn't have his best days against the greatest team of all time on all Ireland final days isn't an awful shame. (I also think he didn't perform as bad as you suggest as your barometer is scoring ,his impact has always been greater elsewhere in playmaking and causing general chaos)

One year (you lose track of the years the teams play that often;)) he had a super game at centre forward. His best position in my view.

The Keegan goal in one of the replays also springs to mind. Bamboozled Cian O'Sullivan with good movement, beat him to ball and waited for the right moment for Keegan to come off the shoulder. Keegan got the plaudits for 'stepping up' though.

corny wrote: »
    His exploits off the pitch benefit him first and foremost. Wouldn't be a fan of how he conducts himself on or off the pitch myself.

Which exploits off the pitch are you referring to? I know he has a few business ventures and good luck to him his playing days won't last forever so he has to make a living somehow. But outside of that he does use his platform to try help in Mountjoy and Ballymun I thought?

Definitely not a fan of his exploits on the pitch by any means, just like I wouldn't be a fan of Cillian O'connors at times either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Yea it wasn't a great year for him performance-wise he's been in and out the team for different reasons. Saying that I taught when it got to the stage of the game where Paddy Small was starting to show his lack of maturity either Mannion or Costello sometimes both would come on and settle things down upfront.

I though Paddy Small showed in flashes what he's capable of. But he looks a bit raw and at times made some silly errors which the likes of Mannion and Costello wouldn't make. But you only learn not to make those through experience.

Barring injury I suspect Small will see a lot of game time next year

ShyMets wrote: »
    I though Paddy Small showed in flashes what he's capable of. But he looks a bit raw and at times made some silly errors which the likes of Mannion and Costello wouldn't make. But you only learn not to make those through experience.

Barring injury I suspect Small will see a lot of game time next year

Yea he looked great at stages in the games but he has a habit of trying to take on to much when he could have easily passed to a teammate. I'm sure he will only get better !

Was looking at the Dublin Mayo match programme.

Dessie Farrell has joined three other managers from men's hurling or football who have won the All-Ireland in three different grades Minor, u20/u21 and Senior
    Mickey Harte, Jack O'Connor and Cyril Farrell

I thought it would make a good quiz question.

Was looking at the Dublin Mayo match programme.

Dessie Farrell has joined three other managers from men's hurling or football who have won the All-Ireland in three different grades Minor, u20/u21 and Senior
    Mickey Harte, Jack O'Connor and Cyril Farrell

I thought it would make a good quiz question.

I got the football ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

What.Now wrote: »
    Question - How many players outside Dublin who are currently playing have All-Ireland medals. Kerry/Donegal/Cork/ Tyrone? Don't know myself, I'd say none from Tyrone or Cork.

Off the top of my head. Murphy and McGee from Doengal (2012). Moran, Geaney, O Donoghue? from Kerry (2014). Dont think anyone from Tyrone and Paul Kerrigan just retired from cork.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head. Murphy and McGee from Doengal (2012). Moran, Geaney, O Donoghue? from Kerry (2014). Dont think anyone from Tyrone and Paul Kerrigan just retired from cork.

Paddy McBrearty played in 2012 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

muddle84 wrote: »
    Paddy McBrearty played in 2012 too.

Paddy McGrath is still playing for Donegal as well but has had a couple of bad injuries over the last few years. Peter Crowley, Stephen O’Brien, Paul Murphy, Shane Enright and Jonathan Lyne were all there in 2014 as well. Tommy Walsh won one in 2009 so there are a good few from the Kerry panel that have won All Ireland’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Gael85

dobman88 wrote: »

Ciaran Sheehan-Cork

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas lads hope yous and your families all have a good one and sure 7 in a row for the new year :D

Advertisement