Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

In some more positive news just ordered the Dublin version of this https://www.kieranberginsports.com/bloodysunday/

Bloody gorgeous looking and price is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Mannion sitting out next year now

F*ck knows if he's gonna come back

He’s only 27...

All-Irelands
    Leinster titles
    NFL
    All Stars

:o. 27, jesus... that’s incredible. To juggle a career and achieve so much. Might be a savvy move. Take a year out, off the treadmill, approach the middle to latter stages of his career refreshed, injury free, fit and healthy, ready to go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭MFPM

Mannion will be a loss, he didn't have a great year but when fit he's a definite in the first 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Paul will be a loss one who would get game time at the buiness end for sure others who have gone would not really feature so decision was made for them. Not sure if Jack will be back so a couple of places for some lads under the radar maybe .

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I'd have Mannion over Small

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I'd have Mannion over Small

At the moment absolutely. But took Mannion time to development in to the player he became.

From what I've seen of Small he has the potential to be as good as Mannion but time will tell and some patience will be required

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

ShyMets wrote: »
    At the moment absolutely. But took Mannion time to development in to the player he became.

From what I've seen of Small he has the potential to be as good as Mannion but time will tell and some patience will be required

Which makes you wonder why he is behind in the front 6.

Maybe it is a reason why taking a step back or I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Wouldn't be surprised if Small being brought straight in by Dessie to replace Mannion in the first team has been part of his thinking here.

On current ability id rather Mannion starts but not a choice we have now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,371 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just seen this now that's a big blow!
    MFPM wrote: »
    Mannion will be a loss, he didn't have a great year but when fit he's a definite in the first 15.

Not sure about that he seemed to be on a clear dip. Maybe saw writing on the wall? And decided to either recharge/take a year out or does not like playing second fiddle in the Dublin camp. Must be much nicer being the main man at Crokes. So concentrating on the club football instead?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not sure about that he seemed to be on a clear dip. Maybe saw writing on the wall? And decided to either recharge/take a year out or does not like playing second fiddle in the Dublin camp. Must be much nicer being the main man at Crokes. So concentrating on the club football instead?

Isnt he taking the year to complete his studies? Was it 2015 he took a year out to study abroad so he has done it before. He never struck me as the kind of guy to ego trip and want to be the main man at all.

I'd fully expect to see him back. Get the study done, get the body right with a year out and get back at it. 3 all stars, 6 all Irelands. Only 27. Hes not done yet at all. Hea too good to be done.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Isnt he taking the year to complete his studies? Was it 2015 he took a year out to study abroad so he has done it before. He never struck me as the kind of guy to ego trip and want to be the main man at all.

I'd fully expect to see him back. Get the study done, get the body right with a year out and get back at it. 3 all stars, 6 all Irelands. Only 27. Hes not done yet at all. Hea too good to be done.

Hopefully this is it!
    His performances during the 5 in a row season where at a serious level. Be shame not to see that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hopefully this is it!
    His performances during the 5 in a row season where at a serious level. Be shame not to see that again.

Yeah it's very easy to forget they all have jobs and lives outside.

At the age some are at, and with the uncertainty of the season ahead some may have decided to concentrate on their personal lives. And more power to them!

A great player who will be missed, especially those high curling points from the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I think he is Dublins most talented and reliable forward from play. Was curious that he wasn’t straight into the starting 15 when fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

It was amazing that Mannion wasn’t starting last year. He deserved better. I know Farrell will point to the All Ireland as justifying his selection but Mannion was treated like dirt. An amazing servant to Dublin, the most consistent of players over the last number of years and his performance in the Sat Eve All Ire Final replay against Mayo was simple enough incredible. Huge loss for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Talking out your hole, he’d wipe the floor with some of the starting forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hard to know what Mannions form was last year but Small has never put in a performance that would convince anyone that he is a better forward than Mannion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

. Has he officially announced it?

Yes and considering it was announced on Friday afternoon it probably doesnt warrant announcing on the Saturday night news. I dont watch the news so dont know if it was mentioned on Friday.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1352620871458971650?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Could someone have a quiet word with Brian Fenton and Con O'Callaghan,and advise that now would be a good time to hang up the boots. That it's the fashionable thing to do. Go out on a high.

Bambi wrote: »
    Hard to know what Mannions form was last year but Small has never put in a performance that would convince anyone that he is a better forward than Mannion.

Paddy Small is not as cultured a footballer as Mannion. Plenty of heart drive and power though. Mannion went all flakey all the skills but lost heart. Great skill is no use with a bit of 'go'. Personally I can see why Paddy Small was picked ahead of Mannion. I saw an article that said 'blow for Dublin as Mannion opts out of Dublin Panel.'

My reaction was is it blow? How is it a blow? Mannion was being replaced anyway with in the last year and a half, with someone in better form.

Good luck to Mannion and all that, but let's not rewrite history.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Paddy Small is not as cultured a footballer as Mannion. Plenty of heart drive and power though. Mannion went all flakey all the skills but lost heart. Great skill is no use with a bit of 'go'. Personally I can see why Paddy Small was picked ahead of Mannion. I saw an article that said 'blow for Dublin as Mannion opts out of Dublin Panel.'

My reaction was is it blow? How is it a blow? Mannion was being replaced anyway with in the last year and a half, with someone in better form.

Good luck to Mannion and all that, but let's not rewrite history.

I don't think Mannion is a blow as much as the losses of Connolly, Brogan, Flynn, Andrews, O'Gara, etc. We had a plethora of forwards who scored off two feet, now we don't, even though Kilkenny, O'Callaghan and Rock are still there. Mannion was extremely skillful off his left foot, but the very best defenders could keep him quiet at times because that was his only foot. Small, so far, doesn't seem to be much different.

I worry about our attack over the next few years. We had eight or nine of the best forwards in the country, now we have three or four. That will make a difference sometime.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don't think Mannion is a blow as much as the losses of Connolly, Brogan, Flynn, Andrews, O'Gara, etc. We had a plethora of forwards who scored off two feet, now we don't, even though Kilkenny, O'Callaghan and Rock are still there. Mannion was extremely skillful off his left foot, but the very best defenders could keep him quiet at times because that was his only foot. Small, so far, doesn't seem to be much different.

I worry about our attack over the next few years. We had eight or nine of the best forwards in the country, now we have three or four. That will make a difference sometime.

When you put it like that, I think we as Dublin supporters have just been spoiled.
    It was not long ago that we were pleased with lads who were not 'footballers' but worked hard and did a 'job'. Collie Moran is one who springs to mind.

Great point over the two footed players as well makes the world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dublin had two players. Peader Andrews and paddy Andrews. Any relation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

thesultan wrote: »
    Dublin had two players. Peader Andrews and paddy Andrews. Any relation?

Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What championships have still to be decided from last year?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    What championships have still to be decided from last year?

Apologies but you've lost me. Would would mind saying what you are referring to

ShyMets wrote: »
    Apologies but you've lost me. Would would mind saying what you are referring to

Dublin club championships. Sorry, I assumed as it was the Dublin GAA thread it would be understood.

Dublin club championships. Sorry, I assumed as it was the Dublin GAA thread it would be understood.

Apologies. My misunderstanding. I thought all championships had been decided

9 All Stars, feel a little sorry for some of the lads who missed out. James was nominated at midfield yet get the right wing back position. Galligan was nominated in the forwards but gets a midfield place. Not having done any research, how long is it since we saw an All Star team without Kerry representation?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Not having done any research, how long is it since we saw an All Star team without Kerry representation?

2012, and only 1 Dublin player on that team (Paul Flynn).

2003 the last year neither Dublin or Kerry were represented on the all stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I remember during the lean times wondering if we might get even one nomination to give me some hope of light at the end of the tunnel .When we started winning I had little interest thinking sure they are no big deal its a team game and individual honours meant little .

Advertisement