Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Charlie Redmond went up to Down the day after he had missed a penalty in the 1994 final!

what in the name of Jaysus possessed him???

Apparently he got a bit of a ribbing and took it in good heart, but that's just the sort of person he is. Can have a laugh at himself and others from what happened years ago.

I'd have been sitting in a dark room with a bottle :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Have you seen the dressing room celebration footage going around whattsapp?. Absolutely brilliant to see, they are a sound bunch of lads. We didn't get to see much with covid etc so it's so good to see them enjoying themselves.

I seen it last night. Was that Cluxton at the start of it sweeping the floor of the dressing room?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

seligehgit wrote: »

TBH I think gormdubhgorm knows there's fat chance Mayo footballers would grant his/her wish.

I'd be truly disgusted if they did.

Which one was this? That if Dublin were to lose in a final I would prefer it to be Mayo.
    Surely Barrett knows a few Dublin fellas from playing club football with Clontarf?

I doubt it is really a rivalry as such. As it is similar to when Kerry played Dublin for years. It was a very one sided rivalry for most of it. Isn't it only 2006 AI SF and AI SF 2012 when Mayo got big wins against Dublin? The fact they were not in finals does not show up on the "main" scoreboard.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Which one was this? That if Dublin were to lose in a final I would prefer it to be Mayo.
    Surely Barrett knows a few Dublin fellas from playing club football with Clontarf?

I doubt it is really a rivalry as such. As it is similar to when Kerry played Dublin for years. It was a very one sided rivalry for most of it. Isn't it only 2006 AI SF and AI SF 2012 when Mayo got big wins against Dublin? The fact they were not in finals does not show up on the "main" scoreboard.

Last line of post #1573.

I posted in jest.

I am sure he is friends with the Clontarf lads,it's mere speculation on anybody's behalf that there's not much love lost.May not in fact be true at all.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Last line of post #1573.

I posted in jest.

I am sure he is friends with the Clontarf lads,it's mere speculation on anybody's behalf that there's not much love lost.May not in fact be true at all.

Oh right I see. Forgot that post.
    I don't think there has been much dirt in Dublin v Mayo games, bar the odd GPS thrown now and again. Nothing too mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I think maybe if both teams have won an all ireland it might be a bit easier to at least appear to get on a bit but if I was on a team that was beaten in all the big matches I would most likely never really want to bother having much contact .Like the Meath and Dublin teams having some sort of do for the 4 game saga must have been awful for the dubs maybe not so bad after 1995

The thing is though Dublin and meath beat each other between 83 and 95. I think it was 6-5 to Dublin in leinster championship encounters.

Dublin won all irelands in 83 and 95, meath won in 87, 88.

So despite them kicking lumps out of each other both sides had periods of dominance. With mayo and Dublin it's so one sided and if anything the gap has widened.

Now that could well change in the future. The new players have been a success all be it conroy was poor on saturday but he has time.

I just feel mayos problem is the old guard, aidan o'shea in paticular. Why do they persevere with him. A constant failure on the big occasion. I don't care for the fact that he hasn't scored in finals, his overall performances have been really poor.

Two things stick out for me with him in the 2016 drawn game and 2017 final.

Entering the final stages of the match, games in melting pot and players in good positions ahead of him and instead goes for glory himself from an impossible position.

I've heard stories about breaffy players trying to influence managers when picking the team with him at the forefront, don't know if it's true or not, mayo fans maybe can confirm.

Some mayo fans may disagree but to me he is a total me feiner.

I just feel mayos problem is the old guard, aidan o'shea in paticular. Why do they persevere with him. A constant failure on the big occasion. I don't care for the fact that he hasn't scored in finals, his overall performances have been really poor.

Jayus I glad someone else has said it. I was starting to think I was missing something others see. He did feck all yesterday as far as I could see again.

If someone said 'oh Aidan O'Shea is fit' it wouldn't worry me. In fact, if he was injured and unable to play I would be more worried. Because his replacement is likely to offer more.

He seems to be built up given the same 'status' as the likes of Liam McHale, or Andy Moran. Is it just a media thing? Because if I was from Mayo I would be as annoyed with O'Shea, as I used to be with Marc Vaughan.

I think maybe if both teams have won an all ireland it might be a bit easier to at least appear to get on a bit but if I was on a team that was beaten in all the big matches I would most likely never really want to bother having much contact .Like the Meath and Dublin teams having some sort of do for the 4 game saga must have been awful for the dubs maybe not so bad after 1995

To be honest I think the Meath and Dublin players 80's/90's are supposed to get on great. They meet at do's play in Golf classics/societies. Seems to be a healthy respect there on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There are Mayo players that I would have great admiration for. Higgins, Moran, Parsons in particular. Others I wouldn't particularly but that's just superficial on my part, based on no more than watching them in matches and developing an irrational dislike!

I have to say too that some of the stuff about Aidan O'Shea over past two days is borderline unacceptable. I generally like Brolly but claiming that AOS "a footballer he is not" is below the belt stuff. Likewise that photo which is great moment in time shot but has become a vehicle for others to abuse him.

I don't think anyone deserves that sort of stuff. I remember one former big name - not a Dub or Mayoman - who said that while he enjoyed meeting former players there were a few that he would cross the street if he saw them coming against him. not Dubs or Mayomen either.

That's kind of sad. Well, it is sad. Imagine being remembered by a former opponent as someone they would pass in the street, rather than being able to exchange a few words. Anyway, that's the sort of thing old people come to ponder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

To be honest I think the Meath and Dublin players 80's/90's are supposed to get on great. They meet at do's play in Golf classics/societies. Seems to be a healthy respect there on both sides.
    Kieran Duff said on his Laochra Gael episode that some of the Meath lads were among the first people who called him to help out when he was raising funds for special therapy for his daughter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

If someone said 'oh Aidan O'Shea is fit' it wouldn't worry me. In fact, if he was injured and unable to play I would be more worried. Because his replacement is likely to offer more.

Plenty games Mayo wouldn't win in Connacht if it wasn't for AOS. He's caused my own county no amount of pain. Again had a fine battle and fine game against Galway this year. Unfortunately against a team as talented as Dublin he needs to be all people to all men situation. And either ends up spreading himself to thin to any one position or simply running around like a headless chicken not knowing what to do. Playing poorly against Dublin is not an AOS problem. The greatest team that ever played have made many a talented player look average at times.

AOS standing as a full back against Donaghy is something I will always remember. A player willing to play so out of position to help the cause of his teammates can only be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

robbiezero wrote: »
    I doubt it, but I'd say he would hate it if they did.

I'm not really sure what the dynamic between players of the top teams is like now. Do they get on off the field or do they hate each other etc?
    I'd say the Mayo - Dublin relationship between the players isn't great, but I have no idea if that really is the case - I know both sets of players say all the right things in public, but I'd love to know what its like in private.

I doubt it's as bad as you think. Don't forget these lads go to college together and the bond a sigurson team has is very strong. I remember and image of mortimor and Cluxton holding each other and rubbing their hair as they left the pitch. I believe they were in college together.

I seen a similar image with Cooper and hennelly who again were in college. And I see another too but it escapes me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,283 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The thing is though Dublin and meath beat each other between 83 and 95. I think it was 6-5 to Dublin in leinster championship encounters.

Dublin won all irelands in 83 and 95, meath won in 87, 88.

So despite them kicking lumps out of each other both sides had periods of dominance. With mayo and Dublin it's so one sided and if anything the gap has widened.

Now that could well change in the future. The new players have been a success all be it conroy was poor on saturday but he has time.

Two things stick out for me with him in the 2016 drawn game and 2017 final.

Entering the final stages of the match, games in melting pot and players in good positions ahead of him and instead goes for glory himself from an impossible position.

I've heard stories about breaffy players trying to influence managers when picking the team with him at the forefront, don't know if it's true or not, mayo fans maybe can confirm.

Some mayo fans may disagree but to me he is a total me feiner.

Brolly’s article on Sunday explains it to a tee. The likes of O’Shea and the O’Connor brothers are not team players.

We had it a few years ago with reports of personal endorsements that went to individuals rather than the team. Dublin sorted all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,283 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Jayus I glad someone else has said it. I was starting to think I was missing something others see. He did feck all yesterday as far as I could see again.

He seems to be built up given the same 'status' as the likes of Liam McHale, or Andy Moran. Is it just a media thing? Because if I was from Mayo I would be as annoyed with O'Shea, as I used to be with Marc Vaughan.

A very good comparison with O’Shea and Vaughan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bonniedog wrote: »
    . I generally like Brolly but claiming that AOS "a footballer he is not" is below the belt stuff. Likewise that photo which is great moment in time shot but has become a vehicle for others to abuse him.
    !

I remember being at the semi a few years between Mayo and Tyrone (I think) when Mayo won, a photographer came on the pitch, O'Shea went sprinting towards him to do a big celebration in front of him. It looked like it was prearranged photo op tbh and the resulting photos made a lot of the papers

Always made me think the guy is a bit too aware of his own PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

He just doesn't have pace and against Dublin that will be exposed. James McCarthy left him trailing but that wasn't the first time that's happened. Runners have gotten away from him in the past and really cost Mayo in games. Even Denis Bastick got away from him late in one game if memory serves. At the other end he finds it difficult to shake disciplined markers who are physically able for his power. Dublin have plenty of those. In short Dublin are a nightmare opponent for him.

Having said that i've always liked him as a player. Good man to turn over ball and is always clever in how he uses it. If he played for Dublin we'd get more out of him.

Whether he sells himself or not is irrelevant. Bernard Brogan whored himself out to the media like no other. He was still a super player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I doubt it's as bad as you think. Don't forget these lads go to college together and the bond a sigurson team has is very strong. I remember and image of mortimor and Cluxton holding each other and rubbing their hair as they left the pitch. I believe they were in college together.

I seen a similar image with Cooper and hennelly who again were in college. And I see another too but it escapes me now.

Stephen Coen won a sigerson with Jack McCaffrey, David byrne, mick fitz, Robert mcdaid, colm basquel and Paul mannion in 2016, and again as captain in 2018 with Con o'callaghan. I think mccaffrey was still there in 2018 but I'm not sure!
    He was in UCD for nearly six years i think doing a PHD so thata only the years he won one. I have no idea who was there the other years.

O'Shea disappears on big days because that's what a good team does - negates key player impact. Lee Keegan held Diarmo scoreless, Kilkenny was out of the game the last day before Paddy Durcan was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

O'Shea disappears on big days because that's what a good team does - negates key player impact. Lee Keegan held Diarmo scoreless, Kilkenny was out of the game the last day before Paddy Durcan was injured.

How many AI finals has O’Shea failed to score in now? There is a trend.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    How many AI finals has O’Shea failed to score in now? There is a trend.

He's not a big scorer anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What a lovely weekend no matter what anyone else has to say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

blanch152 wrote: »
    Brolly’s article on Sunday explains it to a tee. The likes of O’Shea and the O’Connor brothers are not team players.

We had it a few years ago with reports of personal endorsements that went to individuals rather than the team. Dublin sorted all that.

I don't know where this narrative comes from.

AOS has played more or less every middle position of the field for Mayo and yet isn't a team player. FFS he played full back to mark Donaghy two years ago for the benefit of the team. He does very little media work so I don't think he's after celebrity status. Wooly has said on the GAA Hour podcast that he has regularly tried to get him on but he simply passes every invite he gets.

As for the O'Connor brothers. I can completely understand why they are not liked outside Mayo but you cannot accuse them of not being team players. Diarmuid constantly does a lot of the dirty work in the middle of the field for Mayo - typically expected to go through a lot more action than a typical forward. Cillian lets his scoring do the talking but he tracks back to a fault which takes away from his own game.

Well done Dublin on the win but I don't think you can level Mayo players as being not team players or after celebrity status. For all intents and purposes they are exactly the same as the Dublin team, no egos, hard working, good role models...it's just that Dublin are more talented but that doesn't reflect negatively on the character on the Mayo team.

Brolly should be ashamed of that article he wrote and he will be the very one knocking Dublin players the first opportunity that arises. He's a nasty individual and a hypocrite that chases attention himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Lee and Diarmuid get on well and have had a few (a good few) beers together on a few occasions.

Anyone who would meet Lee outside of football would be surprised at just how nice a lad he is. Extremely friendly, a bit bashful and definitely unassuming. Gives plenty of time to people who approach him, which happens a lot in Westport.

Now, when he enters the pitch that's another matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lee and Diarmuid get on well and have had a few (a good few) beers together on a few occasions.

Anyone who would meet Lee outside of football would be surprised at just how nice a lad he is. Extremely friendly, a bit bashful and definitely unassuming. Gives plenty of time to people who approach him, which happens a lot in Westport.

Now, when he enters the pitch that's another matter altogether.

I think this is true of a lot of sportsmen and supporters are often guilty of taking someone’s on pitch demeanour as the type of person they are. It’s like the old women who give out to the actor who plays the coronation street villain in the shop.

AOS standing as a full back against Donaghy is something I will always remember. A player willing to play so out of position to help the cause of his teammates can only be applauded.

He just sounds like a jack of all trades and master of none. How many times did he do it when it really mattered for Mayo? When I think big game players from Mayo I think Keegan, McHale, Moran, Higgins, McDonald. O'Shea would not even pop into my mind as an aside.
    corny wrote: »
    H
    Having said that i've always liked him as a player. Good man to turn over ball and is always clever in how he uses it. If he played for Dublin we'd get more out of him.

Whether he sells himself or not is irrelevant. Bernard Brogan whored himself out to the media like no other. He was still a super player.

It seems to be an easy out to blame the other players rather than O'Shea. The big name players are supposed to step up and drag a team forward. Spark a team to life. Whether it is an inspirational pass to set up a score, a great catch, a great score etc. Where was O'Shea in those 10 mins Mayo were a man up? That was Mayo's chance to go for it. A real key player and leader would say right Sín é. And up it when they see the chance.

As for selling himself in the media, does not bother me. But you would expect a high media profile player to be integral to his side - or 'legend' status? I am not sure he is. It seems more mythical than anything.

How many chances does O'Shea get to prove he is a big player on the big day?
    Law of averages shouldn't he dominate his opponent at some stage - being a so called key player?

It can't always be managements fault, or the players around him. How many AI finals has he played at this stage?

Don't know why I got the sudden urge to go into the Mayo thread but.... Jesus Christ the bitterness in there would suck your face inside out!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Don't know why I got the sudden urge to go into the Mayo thread but.... Jesus Christ the bitterness in there would suck your face inside out!
    The irony of your post, given the lengthy Aidan O'Shea conversations that have dragged on in this Dublin thread...

moghrasa wrote: »
    The irony of your post, given the lengthy Aidan O'Shea conversations that have dragged on in this Dublin thread...

Sure there's nothing else to talk about Leinster is dead and never mind the All Ireland we have that bought for at least another ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Sure there's nothing else to talk about Leinster is dead and never mind the All Ireland we have that bought for at least another ten years.
    I just don't see why you can't just enjoy your county winning the All Ireland without having to comment on other counties players, or calling the supporters of the county ye beat bitter. Surely you've enough positives to focus on without going looking for negatives.

• Advertisement

moghrasa wrote: »
    I just don't see why you can't just enjoy your county winning the All Ireland without having to comment on other counties players, or calling the supporters of the county ye beat bitter. Surely you've enough positives to focus on without going looking for negatives.

I have no interest in talking about Aiden or any other players on the Mayo team I don't know why others are talking about him to be honest :pac:

Believe me I enjoyed it plenty :D

There is a bitterness there its fairly obvious. Its from all sides of the country.

Advertisement