Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

SFL is easy calved anyway whatever about the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I sorted the Excel File from ICBF for Maternal Calving and these came up;

Reliability over 80%

VDC 4.26%
    EDF
    GUA
    USU
    OVO
    AVT
    LGB
    KTN
    SAQ
    BWE
    SFL
    HPY
    BFM
    DIB 5.88%

You'll probablhy find these are hard calving for direct calving though..............

Often seen mentioned that vdc bred some fine cows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    SFL is easy calved anyway whatever about the rest of them.

Had a mighty bull calf of a SIxHO 1st calver
    Pity he’s hard got / gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have a Belgian Blue cow by BBQ. She is out of a Simmental cow from a dairy cow. My cow isn’t a typical blue. She’s very plain, not muscly at all. She’s had 2 lim calves so far and both are plain calves no real shape. I was thinking of giving her a blue this time but wondering would that be a bad choice putting blue bull on a blue cow. Would calf come very muscly and be hard calved?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82095381
    Look at post 3102,similiar to what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82095381
    Look at post 3102,similiar to what your looking for

I will take pic of cow and her 2 calves for ya. I’d nearly chance Fiston on her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Often seen mentioned that vdc bred some fine cows

I would add DEP to that list Aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Have a nice Charolais whitehead heifer on and just wondering what everyone else is using for them? It will be a PG bull. Calving ease is the priority so was thinking of a saler meself

390kid wrote: »
    Have a nice Charolais whitehead heifer on and just wondering what everyone else is using for them? It will be a PG bull. Calving ease is the priority so was thinking of a saler meself

I’d go with Saler too

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I was thinking of given a few lim replacement heifers a saler too myself .

I’d go with Saler too

Would they bring a bit of size? Lot of the cows here are fairly butty.

• Advertisement

They're like any breed with variations in size between different bloodlines. Have used Highfield Odran SA2153 here, they're medium sized.
    Keep an eye on the ICBF skeletal figures when picking bulls, they're reasonably reliable.

Have 2 heifers due beginning of April to SA 2153 & SA4604
    They’ll be average size cows
    This my first time using SA

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

If you want height and length try using Lataster Eric - LZR or Beguin - SA4059. LZR straws are around the 10 euro mark but I think Beguin is 26 euro. I've used both and found that bulls off both really put on the pounds close to 2 years old. Hoping to keep a Beguin heifer this year, she was just over 600kgs at 22 months.

If you want height and length try using Lataster Eric - LZR or Beguin - SA4059. LZR straws are around the 10 euro mark but I think Beguin is 26 euro. I've used both and found that bulls off both really put on the pounds close to 2 years old. Hoping to keep a Beguin heifer this year, she was just over 600kgs at 22 months.

Do you think Beguin is worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

my Lzr heifer calved yesterday spat our a smasher of a limo heifer calf.Lovely quiet cow and plenty milk, wish they were all like her

tanko wrote: »
    Do you think Beguin is worth the extra money?

He is if you get a heifer that's for sure. In saying that the bulls I got turned out well too once they hit the 2 year mark so it depends on your system I suppose

High bike wrote: »
    my Lzr heifer calved yesterday spat our a smasher of a limo heifer calf.Lovely quiet cow and plenty milk, wish they were all like her

I think more and more people are moving to using Salers for easy calving and for the calving ability of the mothers too, biggest pelvic size of all the breeds

I think more and more people are moving to using Salers for easy calving and for the calving ability of the mothers too, biggest pelvic size of all the breeds
    great cows in my book, some people say the temprement is bad but I have 3 of em here and not a bother.Your right about the age once they hit 2 they fly

A neighbour of mine has Saler cows and a CH bull, lovely thick calves with great yellow hair, lads go mad for them in the mart.

High bike wrote: »
    great cows in my book, some people say the temprement is bad but I have 3 of em here and not a bother.Your right about the age once they hit 2 they fly

Temperament is fine with my lot as well. Have a comb that I use and they love it, great way to calm down cattle I think by having a comb and giving them a comb on top of the tail or on the shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Ordered Beguin from Munster a few months back, they had no straws available at that time. Got a few knottown Roy (son of Beguin) instead. Looking forward to seeing what he’s like.
    I’ve a few SAX cows - agree with what’s said above - make a lovely CH calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No wonder Salers have milk. Noise of bells will drive you mad......but worth a look. Milking starts at 2:50 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6qc9aIydc&list=PL56C4B64B4D98EFF6&index=4&t=0s

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Put another on there this evening and asked our technician was there many using the saler and he said never that many until lately

No wonder Salers have milk. Noise of bells will drive you mad......but worth a look. Milking starts at 2:50 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6qc9aIydc&list=PL56C4B64B4D98EFF6&index=4&t=0s
    what kind of crush gate would u use for that lot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here's another video showing Saler cows being milked out on the mountain. Mad how the farmer can call each individual calf out of the pen. (Calf's french is better than mine) He ties them then to the cows leg, to get her to let down the milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQ8DVEy5QU

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Here's another video showing Saler cows being milked out on the mountain. Mad how the farmer can call each individual calf out of the pen. (Calf's french is better than mine) He ties them then to the cows leg to get her to let down the milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQ8DVEy5QU

That's a great video

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Anybody on here used/ going to use Tomschoice Lexicon Lm4471? Looks a long bull with massive figures. Son of kaprico ervalle who is kind of known for breeding low enough sized cattle, he has plenty sons in Ai.
    Was going to order a few straws. Might chance him on pedigree and commercial heifers.
    Also anybody use Gamin Zgm on heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What’s the going rate for AI fee? I bought my own straws and got an AI man to put them in for me. His company charged 21e per cow. Is that about right? I take it the AI company are taking a cut out of that for themselves.

Most of those Eravelle sons didn't turn out to be all that easy calved from what i've heard. Lexicon is a serious looking bull but there's plenty of proven easy calved bulls out there suitable for heifers, wold one of them not be better.
    You could try him on cows first.
    I've used Gamin on cows with no bother calving. Plenty of people use him on heifers. I'd rate him easier calved than ZAG anyway.

• Advertisement

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What’s the going rate for AI fee? I bought my own straws and got an AI man to put them in for me. His company charged 21e per cow. Is that about right? I take it the AI company are taking a cut out of that for themselves.

Yeah, that's about right.

Advertisement