Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Anyone use eby for replacements. Have a lovely heifer by him 14 months old. His figures aren't great for milk though

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I kept a gwo pbr heifer off a milky cow, turned into a lovely shapey cow, good docility, feet etc, no calving issues and no milk. Had more milk the first time she calved. Culled her in the end.

Have a GWO x REQ cow, 7/8 beef bred.
    Big fan of her, good calving ability, a good R grade type, perhaps a little short and decent milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone use eby for replacements. Have a lovely heifer by him 14 months old. His figures aren't great for milk though

Is the mother a good milky cow, if the heifer is a nice R grade and not too muscly she might be worth a try but if she's a muscly U grade i'd say no.
    Had a few EBY heifers here but sold them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone used Ampertaine Ifor?
    What’s his daughters like?

tanko wrote: »
    Is the mother a good milky cow, if the heifer is a nice R grade and not too muscly she might be worth a try but if she's a muscly U grade i'd say no.
    Had a few EBY heifers here but sold them on.

Her mother is out of a pure bred simmental cow I have out of curaheen apostle et. She has loads of milk

• Advertisement

Her mother is out of a pure bred simmental cow I have out of curaheen apostle et. She has loads of milk

She should be worth a go so.

Curaheen Apostle daughters have a very poor reputation for calving, what's yours like?

She should be worth a go so.

Curaheen Apostle daughters have a very poor reputation for calving, what's yours like?

Not a bother on her. Thank God. No issues calving and rears a good calf every year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tagged a 2 week old fiston bull calf today for a neighbour. Took 3 attempts before both of us could hold him in a corner. He was some calf.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Goldstar Ludwig - fine big lump unassisted

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I have a Belgian Blue cow by BBQ. She is out of a Simmental cow from a dairy cow. My cow isn’t a typical blue. She’s very plain, not muscly at all. She’s had 2 lim calves so far and both are plain calves no real shape. I was thinking of giving her a blue this time but wondering would that be a bad choice putting blue bull on a blue cow. Would calf come very muscly and be hard calved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have a Belgian Blue cow by BBQ. She is out of a Simmental cow from a dairy cow. My cow isn’t a typical blue. She’s very plain, not muscly at all. She’s had 2 lim calves so far and both are plain calves no real shape. I was thinking of giving her a blue this time but wondering would that be a bad choice putting blue bull on a blue cow. Would calf come very muscly and be hard calved?

What were the lims by,

What were the lims by,

I don't know what the blue would be like.
    You couldn't always try Wilodge Joskins or Mullary Intrepid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mbp maybe or a ch, seen a monster ch out of lisagrane laurence out of a blue cow on twitter

I don't know what the blue would be like.
    You couldn't always try Wilodge Joskins or Mullary Intrepid.

I'm half joking about those bulls, don't know much about them, they look like muscle machines.

Mbp maybe or a ch, seen a monster ch out of lisagrane laurence out of a blue cow on twitter

Would Clenagh Lyle be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I wouldn't put blue on blue but that's more to do with too much fine bone & my own preferences rather than too much muscle. If she's tall & more sim framed I'd put something like Lodge Hamlet or Knockmoyle Loki on her. If she's small, then perhaps something for a bit more style like Cavelands Jolly or even a blonde, though again, I'd be disinclined to do that if she's fine boned.

Of course, it very much depends on how she's calved in the previous two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭squinn2912

After the ordeal I had with the wee blue heifer a month ago I'd be reluctant to ever keep them again for cows. IT's a shame because they're lovely cattle - quiet enough and decent mothers. I had a blue calf yesterday and I was more than pleased to see a bag under the legs.

Knowing my Luck I will end up with a horrible mouse coloured calf. Cow is black and white

I wouldn't put blue on blue but that's more to do with too much fine bone & my own preferences rather than too much muscle. If she's tall & more sim framed I'd put something like Lodge Hamlet or Knockmoyle Loki on her. If she's small, then perhaps something for a bit more style like Cavelands Jolly or even a blonde, though again, I'd be disinclined to do that if she's fine boned.

Of course, it very much depends on how she's calved in the previous two years!

Yes. She’s a tall cow and both her calves are lanky. I’m sure if I will use Loki again. I have 3 horses of bull calves and a dweeb of a heifer. Bulls look more like finishing type animals. Big framed calves not much shape. Early days yet though.

Has Dovea any bulls similar to hamlet?

• Advertisement

Yes. She’s a tall cow and both her calves are lanky. I’m sure if I will use Loki again. I have 3 horses of bull calves and a dweeb of a heifer. Bulls look more like finishing type animals. Big framed calves not much shape. Early days yet though.

Has Dovea any bulls similar to hamlet?

As Tanko said above- Wilodge Joskins, she'd want to be a good calver though. Take a look at LM4745, not seen any progeny off him but nice muscle pedigree behind him.

As Tanko said above- Wilodge Joskins, she'd want to be a good calver though. Take a look at LM4745, not seen any progeny off him but nice muscle pedigree behind him.

Joskins! Would rather keep cow alive......putting him on a blue cow could be a disaster

Joskins! Would rather keep cow alive......putting him on a blue cow could be a disaster

:D:D Hence I was wondering about her calving ability! I'd have no issue putting any sort of CD on a cow but she'd be on a strict diet before calving.
    Sonnybill on here has used TVR on blue cows with no issue.

I like Gamin (ZGM) the Bova bull, he'd be ideal for that cow, easy calved too.
    Would EBY be worth a try with that sort of cow.
    The new Bova catalogue arrived today, no new Lims this year i think.
    No sign of THZ, has he been gone for a while?

I'm still high from sticking my nose into it to get the full effect of the new catalogue/glue smell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭High bike

I like Gamin (ZGM) the Bova bull, he'd be ideal for that cow, easy calved too.
    Would EBY be worth a try with that sort of cow.
    The new Bova catalogue arrived today, no new Lims this year i think.
    No sign of THZ, has he been gone for a while?

I'm still high from sticking my nose into it to get the full effect of the new catalogue/glue smell:D
    have. Thz straw in the tank was thinking of putting in a muscley 2 nd calver this year,what u think she’s a pure bred limo??

Have never used him, have seen some savage calves off him tho.
    He's supposed to be easy calved anyway, should be ideal for a second calver.

I got my Bova catalogue aswell today. Sad what looking tru a bull catalogue can do for you.:D
    Is Limbo Ben (Lm5145) not a new bull?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I think he was in it last year.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    After the ordeal I had with the wee blue heifer a month ago I'd be reluctant to ever keep them again for cows. IT's a shame because they're lovely cattle - quiet enough and decent mothers. I had a blue calf yesterday and I was more than pleased to see a bag under the legs.
    I was hoping to have LMxBBxLM cows to produce the top muscled calves for export
    Like you I’d bad experience and had to section heifers and then stopped
    I’ve learned since .. the issue I had was the heifers were too narrow at the hips and weren’t able to get the calves out

Tried a few BB since, some lovely heifers but not enough hip width, even RSA
    If anyone knows a BB bull with good daughter hip width

• Advertisement

I was hoping to have LMxBBxLM cows to produce the top muscled calves for export
    Like you I’d bad experience and had to section heifers and then stopped
    I’ve learned since .. the issue I had was the heifers were too narrow at the hips and weren’t able to get the calves out

Tried a few BB since, some lovely heifers but not enough hip width, even RSA
    If anyone knows a BB bull with good daughter hip width

I sorted the Excel File from ICBF for Maternal Calving and these came up;

Reliability over 80%

VDC 4.26%
    EDF
    GUA
    USU
    OVO
    AVT
    LGB
    KTN
    SAQ
    BWE
    SFL
    HPY
    BFM
    DIB 5.88%

You'll probablhy find these are hard calving for direct calving though..............

Advertisement