Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

tanko wrote: »
    The 2020 Bova catalogue is up on their Facebook page.

No escalop!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Sagesse Pierre was a gorgeous bull when I seen him in tullamore. Definitely getting a few straws of him for a few pb’s

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Sagesse Pierre was a gorgeous bull when I seen him in tullamore. Definitely getting a few straws of him for a few pb’s

what was it about him that stood out? I saw him there too and he didn't catch my eye only for the fact he had ribbons on him and was done up to the nines! I find a lot of those Charolais cattle at shows have so much soap and product on them that it kind of takes away from them as a whole

Scary calving figure.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Scary calving figure.

Fortune favors the brave Patsy ;)

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Fortune favors the brave Patsy ;)

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Scary calving figure.

Picks that up from the bull he's off. Pity we can't see more into those figures to see what was the cows/heifers he was used on. Doesn't seem like Maerdy Sinndar was used commercially much so maybe that's why his calving difficulty is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

what was it about him that stood out? I saw him there too and he didn't catch my eye only for the fact he had ribbons on him and was done up to the nines! I find a lot of those Charolais cattle at shows have so much soap and product on them that it kind of takes away from them as a whole

He just carried himself with class I thought. Not overly muscled and had fine strong legs under him. Think he’d put them proper French Charolais traits back into my cows.

New Prestige catalogues up also now for PG/Munster AI ;

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/downloads

• Advertisement

New Prestige catalogues up also now for PG/Munster AI ;

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/downloads

In your opinion what's the best maternal lm bull munster have?

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    In your opinion what's the best maternal lm bull munster have?

Bavardage (AGB) was a great bull but poor on fertility.
    Funny, but I was just looking through the new Gene Ireland catalogue for 2020 and they have a new bull IX (LM5983). His breeding is Bavardage and Neuf. Neuf was good for fertility. At €5 a straw, he's nearly worth a gamble.
    Bavardage was €60 but no longer available.

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=13210

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

He has style and power and super legs to carry weight, and caught the eye straight away and moved very well and looked full French. Have straws order of him.

Funny, but I was just looking through the new Gene Ireland catalogue for 2020 and they have a new bull IX (LM5983). His breeding is Bavardage and Neuf. Neuf was good for fertility. At €5 a straw, he's nearly worth a gamble.

Thats exactly it with with the lm. Ive a couple of saler cows here and the smell of the bull and they are incalf. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Careful with anything Neuf I had a bull from him and he was very flighty and fresh. Excellent calves and not hard calved though. I kept the two lightest heifers off him and they have two lovely calves now and as quiet as lambs

The very first PB Lim heifer I bought is by Neuf. She's a bit temperamental alright, especially at calving but she's a great breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

do you mean his daughters have bad fertility patsy??

High bike wrote: »
    do you mean his daughters have bad fertility patsy??

Ya, that's going by the ICBF figures. I've 2 Bavardage bulls here. Was hoping for some heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

Ya, that's going by the ICBF figures. I've 2 Bavardage bulls here. Was hoping for some heifers.
    got a heifer here last year and didn’t think much of her but she really turned inside out over the winter,going to chance her and see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The very first PB Lim heifer I bought is by Neuf. She's a bit temperamental alright, especially at calving but she's a great breeder.

Yea a well known breeder was at the sale when we let that bull on and he was asking about the breeding. I told him to get his hand up! He was saying a Neuf female is a great job but males can be flighty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Looking for options on good muscle BB with PG for tall red SI/LM/LM cow

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea a well known breeder was at the sale when we let that bull on and he was asking about the breeding. I told him to get his hand up! He was saying a Neuf female is a great job but males can be flighty

I remember Doreen Corrigan of the Roundhill Herd saying it once too, that everyone loved their Nuef cows.

Well I just ordered 10 straws of the Limousin bull IX (LM5983) from Gene Ireland. I'll try 1 or 2 this year and see how they go. Can't complain at €5 each.

Some french info on him from the Evolution webpage;
    http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/34/FR1937361674/alt

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Well I just ordered 10 straws of the Limousin bull IX (LM5983) from Gene Ireland. I'll try 1 or 2 this year and see how they go. Can't complain at €5 each.

Some french info on him from the Evolution webpage;
    http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/34/FR1937361674/alt

I used gene Ireland few years ago. Thought at the time all the straws had to be used in the subsequent breeding season and you couldn’t carry them over. That kind of turned me off it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I used gene Ireland few years ago. Thought at the time all the straws had to be used in the subsequent breeding season and you couldn’t carry them over. That kind of turned me off it a bit.

I was tempted until I read the t&c, now what they can do if you don’t use them what can they do? Demand the straws back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Looking for options on good muscle BB with PG for tall red SI/LM/LM cow

DBZ isn't a bad bull at all on big cows. He's easy calved for a blue anyway..

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I was tempted until I read the t&c, now what they can do if you don’t use them what can they do? Demand the straws back?

Jeez, there's no way I will use the full amount anyway. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Jeez, there's no way I will use the full amount anyway. That's for sure.

At a fiver, use two at a time:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    At a fiver, use two at a time:D

Maybe the next time, I'll read the T&C more carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

3.1 The herd owner shall use all semen ordered in the current breeding season.

7. Both ICBF and the herd owner may terminate the services at any time upon giving the other at least 30 days notice in writing. In addition ICBF may terminate the services immediately by notice in writing to the herd owner if the herd owner breaches any of these conditions or:
    7.2 the herd owner does anything which in ICBF's opinion, damages or has the potential to damage ICBF's reputation or the reputation of the services.

You're f****d Patsy:D:D

Advertisement